Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

Compared to traffic in some of my cities, this is a beautiful dream! :smith:

I managed to catch it at a good point. Usually it's more along the lines of the first picture, with another gridlock on the previous intersection as well as the off ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm going to need to poke around that later, because it might help with some of the issues I've been having. Namely, congestion!

Red means "busy", does not mean "jammed". If it was jammed you'd see endless lines of cars sitting there, waiting for a turn.

But the solution to a jammed intersection can be either a different kind of intersection, more intersections for better access, more routes for better access, or removing the sources/destinations that pull traffic. More lanes is seldom the answer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It looks like the issue is that overpass is the only way for people on the south side of town (as relevant to your picture) to get out of town. You have an overpass below it, but it's not connected to the highway.

All in all, an additional connection to the highway to the south should help relieve congestion. Other than that, it actually doesn't look too bad. In fact I should congratulate you on avoiding a regular idiot trap: you made sure to put the intersections for the crossover road a good ways away from the overpass. Too many times (often in my own cities :v: ) I see the overpass intersection ending up only about 1-200 meters from the first intersection in town. If your intersections are too close, especially busy ones getting off of/driving onto highways, it can create hilarious amounts of back-up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've always had trouble with the traffic lights on overpass style highway service. I've found the solution to be keep it lightless, either everything made out of 2 lanes and ramps or put roundabouts at each highway tie. Or I've also found reducing the number of lights to 1 per overpass goes a long way. It looks a little funky but you can do that by tying the offramps into one intersection, or into each other and then the overpass intersection, and placing onramps wherever because one way out intersections don't create lights.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The fact that you've added more and more lanes to the overpass is also making it a more attractive route for nearby traffic. You've most likely got cross-town traffic getting mixed up with highway traffic creating quite a bottleneck.

A fairly simple solution would be to replace the whole thing with a highway roundabout, just make sure to add in pedestrian bridges as well.

Also if this is your main connection to the outside world and the highway is really only being used for immigrants then your traffic problems are mostly temporary. Once everyone's moved in things should flow better.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This is very loosely related, but I figure there might be some knowledgeable people here. So NYC announced they want a tram to be built (from Brooklyn to Queens, to connect them.) My question is, how would said tram/street car/whatever they call it, be better than a bus? I suppose more people might fit, but isn't still going to be hosed by traffic and all the probably that come with NYC streets? Or will they have to significantly change the flow of traffic on those streets? I have never lived somewhere that had them, so I don't know how they work, typically.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trams generally have their own traffic rules and lights, as well as the unofficial 'we will loving smash you if you do something wrong, FEAR US' rule. In wider streets cars aren't allowed on the tramway except to cross, too.

I'd love to see New Yorkers try to deal with hook turns, though. Doubt they'd use them, sadly.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 5, 2016

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Trams are usually more segregated than busses so are faster and subject to less delays, have higher capacity and are more environmentally friendly.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They tend to come more often, too.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It really depends on how the system is built and I wouldn't say they are any more frequent or environmentally friendly than a typical bus by virtue of the fact that they aren't buses. The streetcars in my city are forever mired in traffic and always getting stuck behind left turning vehicles, accidents and illegally parked cars blocking the tracks since much of the system is so old they just laid tracks down the middle of the street. More recently upgraded lines that had their own right-of-way built are still prone to bunching up and being delayed by frequent stops and traffic lights, I'm sure you could walk faster on some lines in all honesty.

There's a new line being built called the Crosstown LRT which will be about 75% buried and have it's own right-of-way in areas where it is above ground, it will also use larger vehicles than what we would typically consider a streetcar. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they plan on doing the same in Brooklyn because no one in their right mind would build something like that in the middle of a regular road these days (would they?).

As for the environment, a quick search of ConEd shows that they get just under half their power from 'green' sources like nuclear and hydro with the rest coming from a variety of fossil fuels. I doubt it's really any cleaner than your typical diesel bus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Psychotic Weasel posted:

As for the environment, a quick search of ConEd shows that they get just under half their power from 'green' sources like nuclear and hydro with the rest coming from a variety of fossil fuels. I doubt it's really any cleaner than your typical diesel bus.

50% of the electricity being green would be more than enough to make even an electric bus a fair bit greener than a diesel bus. And trams would much more electricity-efficient per weight than an electric bus would be, being both rail-based and direct-powered.

EDIT: Melbourne's trams run at 8.8MJ/km, if you want to do the maths. We have old trams and don't have the ability to recover energy from regenerative braking, though. Modern trams in cities that do get between 5.5 to 6.5 MJ/km.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 5, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

i hosed up i hosed up

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Ofaloaf posted:

i hosed up i hosed up

Oh. That's what a real traffic jam is.

Oh. :stare:

Edit: Is the game supposed to run around 20 fps once you get a halfway decent city going? The game has really started to chug.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 5, 2016

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
"Supposed to?" Probably not. But it do.

I've found it to be particularly incompatible with having Chrome tabs open, but most of the sluggishness seems to be the result of CPU demand from the simulation, and less due to the rendering of the city itself.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ofaloaf posted:

i hosed up i hosed up

until you've hosed up like Dubai, there is still hope :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drq-WhpmfkU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

i hosed up i hosed up

I see you have modeled Vancouver British Columbia rush hour from my everyday life

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

i hosed up i hosed up

Eh, we've seen worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3kL6nMap2s

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'm redoing some bits of my Banhammer Regional Office and updated my downtown accordingly to give it a bit more of a central location in my showcase city. Phwoar:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really like your "anywhere USA" downtown/city. It's like every 2nd/3rd tier US skyline that I can never quite tell apart blended together.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Exactly the kind of mundanity I'm going for.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The nice grid of walkable street-wall style neighbourhoods look almost too pleasant for a city like that though. Needs to be broken up by parking lots and random set-back buildings that quickly give way to a carpet of grided then curvlinear sprawl.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is there any way to add vanilla assets to custom styles, or do I have to do some fuckery with that themes mod? I almost got the Gotham style fully fleshed out, but I'm lacking in early 20th century-ish office buildings and the vanilla ones from the European style would work just fine if I could throw them in.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ofaloaf posted:

Is there any way to add vanilla assets to custom styles, or do I have to do some fuckery with that themes mod? I almost got the Gotham style fully fleshed out, but I'm lacking in early 20th century-ish office buildings and the vanilla ones from the European style would work just fine if I could throw them in.

Yo when you're done upload that poo poo unless it's just ya know something that you can't maybe

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do so wish we could ever have a "street designer" where we just build a street type from parts, including wider sidewalks. Plus maybe some sort of pedestrian congestion system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they're looking for things to expand upon then a sperglord expansion with customizable road lanes and stuff like what you listed would be A+ in my book.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Only if it comes stock with Road Terminator view.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The AI city planner finishes laying out a bus line, upon laying down the final stop, a circuit somewhere in its vast processing core flickers to life, and a tiny system speaker buzzes out with a poor digitzed Austrian accent: "You are terminated."

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
They need choppas like in the first Cities in Motion.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Or balloons???

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
^^^ Note the plants vs. zombies product placement in there too. Nice move EA.

Is there no simple way to have a bunch of buildings downloaded that are, in a sense, in a collection, and you can turn off and on the entire collection at once without deleting it all?

I want to play a kind of "futuristic" city, but I want to cut out all the stuff I've downloaded and start "fresh" without deleting everything or having steam redownload it all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"hell of a commute today, eh bob?"

e: "goddamn crowded in here, eh bob?"

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I think it's an inevitability that any city that relies on public transportation quickly turns into something akin to the metropolitan areas of East Asian cities.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just another ordinary day at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai, India. :)

EDIT: That'd be a pretty awesome DLC, though. Developing World Cities!! Just a whole entire cosmetic pack with new building models and everything. Rather than cars, you have lots more scooters, auto rickshaws, jitneys, and bicycles. Low-income areas look like shantytowns!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 7, 2016

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

So I installed 400+ new building assets via the workshop, and the game takes a while to load now.

Is there anything to be done about this besides not installing that many

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sylink posted:

So I installed 400+ new building assets via the workshop, and the game takes a while to load now.

Is there anything to be done about this besides not installing that many

I've long since gotten in the habit of starting up Skylines and then wandering off to make a cup of tea.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Download more RAM!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Some shots of my current city:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
That's beautiful. :eyepop:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I am so jealous of your city building skills. :)

CascadeBeta posted:

That's beautiful. :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

this is a 100% accurate depiction of mass transit in america