Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Smythe posted:

*starts eagerly refreshing woot*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's such a flawed premise. literally nobody wants this.

maybe it's got appeal for like, bringing linux to the 3rd world?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

umm that's what endless is for. I think the peddling Linux to peasants market is saturated tbh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah exactly it's just so stupid.

endless is what suspicious dish works on right?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

pram posted:

umm that's what Android is for. I think the peddling Linux to peasants market is saturated tbh

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah exactly it's just so stupid.

endless is what suspicious dish works on right?

yep

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hmm yes maybe if it's cheap enough it'll succeed where both surface and ipad pro have failed

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
It's almost as if we should be designing the OS for touch from the start, like Maemo/Meego/Tizen/Sailfish (or Android or iOS) instead of clumsily tacking on touchscreen controls to a traditional desktop interface.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

celeron 300a posted:

It's almost as if we should be designing the OS for touch from the start, like Maemo/Meego/Tizen/Sailfish (or Android or iOS) instead of clumsily tacking on touchscreen controls to a traditional desktop interface.

NO!!!!!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Android wasn't designed for touch from the start though? :confused:

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

thank goodness tuxracer had touch support. when I think Ubuntu, I think quality open source touch games

b0red fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 5, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

umm that's what endless is for. I think the peddling Linux to peasants market is saturated tbh

at least endless was smart enough to comprehend that hardly anyone wants a tablet

(and those that do, want it to be a bigger iphone.)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

how's it going

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

my stepdads beer posted:

how's it going

http://www.reviewed.com/events/ces2016/awards

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Dog posted:

from a ui perspective it basically is now

or at least there's nothing egregiously bad like that ubuntu tablet

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Android switched from a Blackberry clone to a iPhone clone early enough in its lifespan to essentially have always been touch-based.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ratbert90 posted:

A poo poo interface for poo poo hardware.

:thejoke:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it probably looks good in some exec's cv. "launched a tablet something something" and nobody will ever ask what tablet and how well it did

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
At least it's not Firefox os

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

theultimo posted:

At least it's not Firefox os

damning with faint praise et c.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i don't get what is it with all this also-ran hardware and software. it's "i'm an ideas guy" except on executive level. everybody wants to release <thing> but nobody wants to commit to actually making <thing> good

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
if the ubuntu-tablet (lol) were actually good and nice to use then i'd change my mind about it. it'd have to be better than an iPad, and i can't think of how an iPad could be better. i just know within the first several hours of use, you'd hit some weird corner-case bug like full-screening an app that doesn't support touch input and you'd have to reboot it or something else equally terrible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

the internal stuff wasn't (which is why touch input lags horribly) but the ui clearly is

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh christ who let this out of the company

http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet

ubuntu on tablets.

a dead form factor with declining sales.

are tablets in general on the down slope?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

are tablets in general on the down slope?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

it's called market saturation, and it should surprise nobody besides executives who have been huffing their own farts while looking at powerpoints for the last decade

what do you mean we didn't sell ten billion units in q4 2015 just lookit this growth curve :mba:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 5, 2016

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
don't be stupid, everyone knows that if your sales aren't growing exponentially then you're basically dead

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

don't be stupid, everyone knows that if your sales aren't growing exponentially then you're basically dead

Discorecordsales.gif

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
but you can't quantify build quality therefore you should just build your tablets out of plastic poo poo and then return the added value to the shareholders

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wild EEPROM posted:

but you can't quantify build quality therefore you should just build your tablets out of plastic poo poo and then return the added value to the shareholders

the dumb part is that it's actually really easy to quantify those things (defective PPM/lifespan)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

it's called market saturation, and it should surprise nobody besides executives who have been huffing their own farts while looking at powerpoints for the last decade

what do you mean we didn't sell ten billion units in q4 2015 just lookit this growth curve :mba:

Soricidus posted:

market saturation is right, and it came a lot earlier than expected. tablet usage and units shipped are both actually shrinking.

the form factor just isn't a success

(iirc these figures are for the u.s. + europe only. the tablet share is closer to 0% in the rest of the world)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

i don't get what is it with all this also-ran hardware and software. it's "i'm an ideas guy" except on executive level. everybody wants to release <thing> but nobody wants to commit to actually making <thing> good

this isn't just an also-ran, it's also five years too late, targeting a market that doesn't exist

who are these users desperate for linux productivity software on a tablet with a keyboard?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
what's this about docker switching to some different distro with yet a different package manager?

since Linux is System V fanfic why doesn't it just support pkg_add?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

what's this about docker switching to some different distro with yet a different package manager?

since Linux is System V fanfic why doesn't it just support pkg_add?

you dont know what docker is

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

you dont know what docker is

docker is switching to alpine linux

alpine linux uses apk rather than dpkg/apt or rpm or whatever

why doesn't linux in general just use SysV packages and pkgadd?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wtf are you talking about

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you can use any distro as an image on docker u dunce

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

market saturation is right, and it came a lot earlier than expected. tablet usage and units shipped are both actually shrinking.

the form factor just isn't a success

(iirc these figures are for the u.s. + europe only. the tablet share is closer to 0% in the rest of the world)

:agreed:, and nothing is more hilarious than microsoft jumping on that bandwagon and going all in with windows 8 before frantically pretending not to be backpedalling in windows 10.

some people don't want 4 devices (desktop momputer, laptop, tablet, phone). many people don't want to run an actual desktop operating system on a touchscreen because it will be a piece of poo poo no matter how much microsoft and linux neckbeards pretend otherwise. most people just want a device for loving around, reading terrible opinions on the internet, watching youtube, and not for any kind of serious productivity~ work, so depending on whether the first point applies to you it's either a phablet or a phone and something the size and weight of a regular ipad at most. if you count the last category, tablet market share is actually increasing, but not in the way that fart huffing executives thought.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 6, 2016

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Much like 3D tvs, I have seen more and more laptops and desktops (the latter being all-in-one monitor cpu) with touchscreen interfaces. Case in point is Microsoft's Surface Pro which is actually doing quite well.

The thing is, I have never seen anyone actually use the touchscreen. People always use the keyboard and trackpad instead.

I bet stebe told timb that it would be ok to have huge ipads with styluses but if he ever made a touchscreen mbp then he would rise from his grave to kill him with his bare hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
What I'm saying is that Ubuntu will be the first linux distro with Oculus support after other windows focused companies try to get it to work and start trying to exit the market and cut their losses.