Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Stew needs some cheese to go with his whine. The whole Medium story thing just screams entitlement. He whines about the event starting late, he whines that they didn't provide him with dinner, he whines that he got a ticket to drive the car and then he whines that he went home and didn't get to drive it.

I'm honestly not surprised if Musk went "gently caress that guy", I hate dealing with people like that, they just loving moan and moan about everything, you quite literally cannot do anything to please them. gently caress him. Dickhead.

quote:

There’s something deeply satisfying about wealthy, entitled people having their time wasted. This is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Musk has a history of going after critics personally. He quoted battery data both for that article where someone tried to take a model s on a long trip without understanding how quick charging works, and that scripted bit on Top Gear where they "had to" push a Tesla back to their hangar.

Honestly he (and Tesla) would get more respect from me by not responding to critics this way. It's pretty childish.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Musk probably read this guy's BMW review and realized he was a moron, and didn't want this moron giving Teslas on the road a bad name by driving it like an idiot, or writing dumb poo poo about it.

pun pundit posted:

Honestly he (and Tesla) would get more respect from me by not responding to critics this way. It's pretty childish.

The one where they drove around in circles until the battery died and then made up poo poo in a popular American newspaper (heh 'popular' newspaper I think this phrase will become less and less typed over the years), so Musk posted the data showing they were liars? That was amazing and not childish at all. gently caress those assholes.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 3, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pun pundit posted:

If it was legitimate criticism, I would agree.

There's nothing wrong with calling out staged or incompetent bullshit though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd actually ban him from placing an order. gently caress that guy and his gross incompetence but sense of entitlement. Seriously, all three of the quoted items are completely loving unreasonable to complain about.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
lol forever about being butthurt about getting made fun of on top gear

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think my favorite part is how he drops "11,000 contacts" as a brag. "Yeah, you know, I'm a pretty busy guy, I get around a lot, I meet a lot of people. Eleven thousand contacts on this baby. Cars should be able to handle us important people too."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

88h88 posted:

Stew needs some cheese to go with his whine. The whole Medium story thing just screams entitlement. He whines about the event starting late, he whines that they didn't provide him with dinner, he whines that he got a ticket to drive the car and then he whines that he went home and didn't get to drive it.
I'm going to assume the invitation said "Doors open 7pm" which anyone who has ever gone to an event of some kind knows is not the actual start time of the event, there's going to be an hour or so of mingling first. But this person seems so self-absorbed he probably can't even spell the word mingle.

And that BMW review. :psyduck: Who gets into a new car and drives off without at least getting a basic idea of where the controls are first?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm going to assume the invitation said "Doors open 7pm" which anyone who has ever gone to an event of some kind knows is not the actual start time of the event, there's going to be an hour or so of mingling first. But this person seems so self-absorbed he probably can't even spell the word mingle.

And that BMW review. :psyduck: Who gets into a new car and drives off without at least getting a basic idea of where the controls are first?

Self-titled venture capitalist auto bloggers, apparently. I wouldn't sell a toaster to this man, as he would probably complain that it didn't butter the toast for him before popping out.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I know this is more a CA topic, but the e-moto thread there just doesn't go anywhere, and I just wanted to pop in to moan about two bikes stuck in prototype limbo (one for like 7 years now) that I'm panting for.

Honda EV Cub, electric reboot of the single most-produced motor vehicle in history (87 million in 2014, vice 40 million for the Toyota Corolla). It's an underbone frame but with the wheels placed further apart than on a scooter, so you actually get a decent length and diameter. Though not as cool as a motorcycle I think they look less-lame than a trad scooter like a Vespa, and with some bar-end mirrors and a few other mods can look slightly swoopy. I could see these being an awesome urban get around.

This first showed at Tokyo in IIRC 2009, and it's been "soon... soon" for way too long now.

Yamaha PED (this is the dirtbike variant, there's also the PES crotch-rocket). Both are pretty small/weak bikes, I think word on the street is they'll perform equivalent to 125cc ICE bikes, but if they do go into mass-production it could finally give e-motos traction in the market. I was starting to get really tempted to get one of Zero's clunkier older models since the price has come down so much (I think they were on sale last year for $6k?) but if these are going to be $5k new or less I'd be strongly drawn.

These were announced at Tokyo in 2013, with a predicted release of 2016, but going into this year the odds don't look good for them actually reaching the showroom, best of my knowledge.

I really want either or both of these to come out; I do some green energy work for the overseas market and have convinced my bosses that if we land a large contract we need to write one or two of these into the budget as a marketing gimmick, paint them up with "powered by solar/biomass/hydro" slogans, logos of whatever energy firm we're representing so we can get publicity points just by running around town on them. They're sold on the idea, I just need there to be something reasonably reliable/serviceable/usable on the market that's maybe $5k or less to make it a slam dunk. C'mon guys...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think the EV bike thread in CA got archived because nobody posted in it, precisely because the only thing appearing on the e-bike market are tumbleweeds.

If you want an e-bike today Zero seems to be the only serious option. Brammo's bike division got bought by Polaris, which sells the Empulse for $20k under the Victory brand.

None of the big brands have shown anything since H-D presented the Livewire in 2014 as far as I know.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Isn't there a KTM electric bike?

Edit:My brammo story, I filled out a web form request for a test ride in like 2010 or 2011, and got a response (phone call) in 2014 letting me know that I can go for a spin if I come to Oregon.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 3, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Collateral Damage posted:

I think the EV bike thread in CA got archived because nobody posted in it, precisely because the only thing appearing on the e-bike market are tumbleweeds.

Yeah, running GoogleImages for "electric motorcycle" is a painful exercise in "whoa, that looks awesome, when is it coming out? Oh... in 2008. Guess that didn't happen". You could probably do a serious academic study of all the exciting e-moto marketing materials and prototypes that came to naught.

But barring a complete abandonment of EVs, logically speaking *some* year has to be the year that some large company dives into the mix with an affordable mass-produced bike that sells like hotcakes.

Bolt Motorbikes over in the Bay Area is supposedly doing well with pre-orders for their flagship, getting good reviews, etc. Initial price is $5,500 so it's still a boutique item and technically a moto-inspired electric bicycle so not too technically inspiring even though the aesthetic/ergos are hipper than an e-bike. It's default mode has a restrictor to 20mph (50mi range, 5hr charge) so it can be ridden as a legal bicycle, but you can switch it into "off-road only" mode and get 40mph (20-30mi range) which I'm sure will be popular.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

88h88 posted:

I'm honestly not surprised if Musk went "gently caress that guy", I hate dealing with people like that, they just loving moan and moan about everything, you quite literally cannot do anything to please them. gently caress him. Dickhead.
As a business owner I won't hesitate for a second to turn away a potential customer who is obviously going to cause me and my employees stress and hassle well beyond what is reasonable given the limited nature of our relationship. Keeping my business running smoothly and actually being able to please our customers is worth much more to me then whatever profit I'll make from that one job. There are polite and non-obvious ways to do this though.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I know there aren't many out there right now, but do we know whether the falcon-wing doors on the Model X are manually operable? Even in an entirely open space they look like they take quite a bit of time to cycle.
e: actually in this they look fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8-Et8QSJH0

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

El Grillo posted:

I know there aren't many out there right now, but do we know whether the falcon-wing doors on the Model X are manually operable? Even in an entirely open space they look like they take quite a bit of time to cycle.
e: actually in this they look fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8-Et8QSJH0

There is a manual option in event of an emergency/power failure.

Don't know about generally.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Somehow the Model X reminds me of my childhood drawings where I could sort of draw a person ok, apart from the hands. It would inevitably be a mush of erased pencil with some vague hand-like shape on top. The Model X designer had the same problem with the grille.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ola posted:

Somehow the Model X reminds me of my childhood drawings where I could sort of draw a person ok, apart from the hands. It would inevitably be a mush of erased pencil with some vague hand-like shape on top. The Model X designer had the same problem with the grille.

Yeah it's like the designer just couldn't quite grasp that an electric car doesn't need a grille as such so he's put the impression of one on there. It's weird because with electric cars you're not as constrained by typical design features, only safety standards so within reason you can go a bit batshit. But nobody has yet.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

Actually I find all the Teslas to be pretty "boring". They look good, but have no depth. It's like you describe, someone that is decent at drawing, but the details are lacking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

88h88 posted:

Yeah it's like the designer just couldn't quite grasp that an electric car doesn't need a grille as such so he's put the impression of one on there. It's weird because with electric cars you're not as constrained by typical design features, only safety standards so within reason you can go a bit batshit. But nobody has yet.

With the car as tall as it is, it'd be hard to have just an expanse of body color sitting between the headlights. It'd be like a thumb without a nail.
They could break it up with some creases, but it'd still be foreign looking. I think if they mirrored another black slat just above the bumper, that'd be enough.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

drgitlin posted:

Very few people (other than all those goon grandfather clock delivery men) drive more than 40 miles a day.

You are being ridiculous.

As someone with a plug in hybrid, lol, I mean the main issue is charging the car. I drive 24 miles (12 each way), or 12 miles depending on if I commute for the final leg to work, but the main issue with EVs is charging. My apparment has electric plugs I use to slow charge on non rainy days, but 90% of people my age (25) don't have places to plug these in, which is why until Tesla superchargers partner with say 7-11, the model E won't be an ideal replacement car. I do love how I haven't fueled up in.. god I only fueled up on my trip to Ohio, and that was it. Plug in EVs are the best solution for most commuters until charging becomes as common as gas stations, based on my year of driving a partial EV.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Ryand-Smith posted:

As someone with a plug in hybrid, lol, I mean the main issue is charging the car. I drive 24 miles (12 each way), or 12 miles depending on if I commute for the final leg to work, but the main issue with EVs is charging. My apparment has electric plugs I use to slow charge on non rainy days, but 90% of people my age (25) don't have places to plug these in, which is why until Tesla superchargers partner with say 7-11, the model E won't be an ideal replacement car. I do love how I haven't fueled up in.. god I only fueled up on my trip to Ohio, and that was it. Plug in EVs are the best solution for most commuters until charging becomes as common as gas stations, based on my year of driving a partial EV.
Pure electric is fine with a 200+ mile range and a backup vehicle.

Its when you lack one or both of those that a hybrid is better.

Chargers don't need to be on every corner like gas stations are unless they become as quick as filling up on gas. We need home+workplace chargers to replace gas stations. Those are the only places where people consistently stay at one location for significant amounts of time each day.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

ilkhan posted:

Chargers don't need to be on every corner like gas stations are unless they become as quick as filling up on gas. We need home+workplace chargers to replace gas stations. Those are the only places where people consistently stay at one location for significant amounts of time each day.

I've asked the owner of my local bar if they will install a charging station for me, for this very reason.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ilkhan posted:

Pure electric is fine with a 200+ mile range and a backup vehicle.

Its when you lack one or both of those that a hybrid is better.

Yeah, a bunch of the grocery stores and movie theaters here have got charging stations, both very handy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ranter posted:

I've asked the owner of my local bar if they will install a charging station for me, for this very reason.

I asked your mom, but she said she's already getting enough plugged into her.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My benchmark for enough EV range is:

Round Trip Between House and Furthest Local Relative
+
Round Trip Between House and Furthest Local Friend.

Then add 10% for good measure to account for environmental and driving style variances.

In my case it works out to be a 120 mile round trip to my sister's house and then a 50 mile round trip to my friend's place. That, plus 10% brings me to 187 miles which is near that magical 200 mile benchmark. I use this formula as a reference because that represents the theoretical maximum amount of driving I'll do in a day without planning a trip ahead of time. It has happened more than once that I've gone to visit my sister and then have evening plans pop up at a friend's place and I go directly from one to the other. Yeah, I could probably mooch electricity off of my sister or hang out at home for an hour or so to quick charge a bit of range, but to match gas convenience, it would have to be able to do all that without hitting a plug.

ilkhan posted:

We need home+workplace chargers to replace gas stations.

Work chargers are a bit of a fantasy once you reach critical mass of EVs though. You either need to have enough chargers for every spot so people can plug in before they go in for the day, or you need to have one charger for a group of spaces and have people trade off during the course of the day. The former is a bit wasteful from an infrastructure perspective (also costly and difficult to impossible to implement in some cases.) The later will quickly descend into a Lord of the Flies arrangement where people get accused of hogging the charger and you have spiteful people unplugging others or infighting about who needs the range more that day.

Besides all that, the power requirements for an office park would be ENORMOUS and likely beyond the capability of our grid to deliver. Anything other than home charging is going to have to be viewed as either a planned event to extend range (such as taking a trip) or an semi-emergency event where you simply outran your available range unexpectedly.

What I think we'll see are mobile charging trailers (filled with degraded and recycled EV batteries) that you can call with an Uber style app to top off your car while you grab a bite to eat or do a bit of shopping. Office parks would also be able to add the service for their tenants without have to invest in any significant property improvement.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They made the 4 chargers at my old workplace a bookable resource in Exchange/Outlook and you weren't able to book it for more than 2 hours a day or something. No idea how that worked out for people.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I've seen people come close to drawing blood over a conference room overruns. I'd hate to see what would happen if the stake was being able to pick their kid up from school.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sharing works out OK at work, and I estimate that we have 3x the number of cars as chargers. License plates are in a shared doc so if someone is done charging you can poke them. Also, the valets rotate cars around to make sure people get a decent charge, if you use them. If someone has an urgent need, they post to an internal group and someone will swap with them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think that your experience may be outside the norm if you have things like valets at work.

Again, keep in mind the scale long term. 10 years from now it's not going to be just white collar office workers charging their Teslas and Leafs. It's going to be fast food workers and grocery store baggers, driving Chevy Bolts as third owners with 80% of their original range.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bull3964 posted:

I think that your experience may be outside the norm if you have things like valets at work.

Right, my point was more that things can be shared and balanced. Having the security guard move cars around every hour, or even just replug if the layout is right, can make a ratio greater than 1:1 quite reasonable.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
And then Elon's AI snake charger will remove the need for a human to unplug/replug.

SNAKES!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ranter posted:

And then Elon's AI snake charger will remove the need for a human to unplug/replug.

SNAKES!

Another job lost to automation. :negative:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

88h88 posted:

Even regular cars haven't required giant grilles to supply the radiator for like 30 years. Look on a modern car and usually most of the grille opening is solid plastic with a fake mesh pattern on top and just a small slot for actual air (and even then most of the air comes from the lower intake). Apparently car co execs think people like giant grilles though.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 4, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't have the possibility for home charging now, so owning an EV is out of the question even for a fanboy like me. Hunting around for electricity like some green Mad Max is a very unattractive idea - it's worse than gas stations because you have to spend longer time there, if there's a queue it takes much longer still and so far the non-Tesla fast DC chargers have a bit of a poor uptime reputation. As ilkhan said, destination charging like home and work changes all that, because then it charges while you are doing something else and not while you are waiting for it. This makes it much easier to live with, but also means that a comfortable EV life is only available to middle class people who own their own parking spot and whose work places owns parking spots.

88h88 posted:

It's weird because with electric cars you're not as constrained by typical design features, only safety standards so within reason you can go a bit batshit.

You'd think so, yet the exterior differences between EVs and ICEs are surprisingly small. Since they follow the design language of other cars, I think they could've grilled up the Model X a little bit, just to make the lines work. Perhaps the Model 3 will change that, not long now!

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 5, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When EVs become more commonplace you're going to see a lot more charging opportunities as well. It's not like there was a gas station every third block in 1908, and I'm pretty sure if we had the internet back then people would complain that they have to go roundabout ways to fill their Model T because the only gas station is on the other side of town.

Barring some new discovery in battery/charging technology that allows you to charge a 100kWh battery pack in less than 10 minutes, I believe more in standardizing battery packs and building infrastructure based on automatic quick-swap stations.

Flow batteries is another possibility, but that technology is still unsuitable for EVs due to low energy density.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 5, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mange Mite posted:

Even regular cars haven't required giant grilles to supply the radiator for like 30 years. Look on a modern car and usually most of the grille opening is solid plastic with a fake mesh pattern on top and just a small slot for actual air (and even then most of the air comes from the lower intake). Apparently car co execs think people like giant grilles though.

Check out the Toyota Miria and the press chaff about its looks, the gigantic front intakes are to suck in oxygen for the fuel cell. Uh huh. I'm sure top fuel dragsters wouldn't suffer from smaller intakes than that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of grilles, this was hilariously illustrated in James May's Cars of the people. The Austin Allegro was supposed to compete with the speed and class of Mercedes and BMW.

This was the concept.

Pretty sleek right? I think that looks great.

The actual release?

What it lacked in class, it certainly didn't make up for in speed. The car was very poorly received and the execs knew they had to give it a makeover. They couldn't add any speed, but could they perhaps add some class? Imagine a British executive from the 1970s...probably not very different from the 1870s. Ultra-conservative, black suit, vest, bowler hat, umbrella etc. What do you think they did to add class to the Austin Allegro Vanden Plas edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The makeover looks so sad. "Why did you do this to me? :("

• Locked thread