Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's already signed AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

Also, I think I figured out why Swagger had to delete a bunch of his old posts. :v:

Congratulations CanPol, one of our own is now Canada's top civil servant.

And check out our dreamy Prime Minister given a totally genuine and authentic reply to questions about this guys background. Can you ever imagine Harper giving such a candid reply?

About this guy.... I get the impression that is history here shouldn't really reflect too much on the Liberals. From what I've heard the intention was to have the clerk stay until she found her own replacement, but clearly something happened. This guy was the deputy and is interim while they do their search for someone they actually pick.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

sbaldrick posted:

This is so loving wrong it hurts me.

70% of RN's you meet (anyone over 35 pretty much) only has a two year nursing degree. They only changed to the 4 year program because they had planned at the time to boast RN to be NP's but the Doctors bitched so that became a completely separate degree you get.

My wife did her RPN and a 6 month booster (that you could only do at the time) to become an RN and currently is a nursing supervisor at a major heath provider.

Also you are never going to find a long term care facility that isn't completely dedicated to patients that are on 24/7 lock-down that has an RN on every shift (this is for the patients that attack each other, or rape each other)

This only apply's to Ontario as every province is different

Yes, the education requirement changed fairly recently. My own experience is, again, that there seems to be a marked difference in breadth of knowledge between those with a degree and those with a diploma (RNs included). I decided to look it up to see if there was any actual facts to support my anecodatal evidence, and there was:

quote:

According to the Canadian Institute for Health Information, 60.1 per cent of RNs are diploma educated.
Research shows that staffing with bachelor-educated RNs is associated with improved patient safety and positive patient outcomes. One study showed a five-per-cent decrease in the risk of patient death for every 10-per-cent increase in the proportion of hospital RNs holding degrees.2 There have been similar findings for community-based health services; the health outcomes of people cared for by bachelor-educated RNs were significantly better.3 Better patient outcomes also mean cost savings for the health-care system.

https://www.cna-aiic.ca/en/becoming-an-rn/education/rn-baccalaureate-education#footer2

Every private long-term care facility that my girlfriend has worked at (three at this point) has had an RN on shift 24/7. This has been in BC and NS. At the hospital, the only unit she's worked at that doesn't have a dedicated RN is stabilization for recovering detox patients (but there is an RN at detox next door). I won't get into details, but only having an RN on 12 hrs out of the day in the (relatively quiet) stabilization section has caused some serious problems.

There seems to be this "rivalry" between RNs and LPNs. Some LPNs feel that they are no different than RNs. Some RNs feel that they're superior to LPNs. It's loving stupid. Fundamentally they're different roles. One of those roles happens to demand a higher level of education, critical thinking and responsibility, and therefore commands a higher rate of pay.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

It's already signed AFAIK.

Yep

International Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland signed the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement on Thursday, but made it clear that signing is not the same as ratifying. (David Rowland/SNPA via Associated Press)

But then, PMSH and the EC president signed CETA in October 2013 and that went nowhere.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That's the picture of us being hosed so hard I can't even laugh about it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seriously I loving hate this country and this society fuckfuckfuck we are so screwed gently caress this.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

💯 nailed it
https://twitter.com/reutersLjungg/status/695275955904987136

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

That's the picture of us being hosed so hard I can't even laugh about it.

There's no downside to signing it now. We have the ratify and join TPP or not ratify and be out. If they don't sign it, we have only the option to be out. I rage against the Liberals but why wouldn't they sign it today?

I think signing us gives the lawyers and politicians a chance to verify that the TPP is bad but things would be worse without it. They can vote on ratifying it in parliament and everyone gets their vote counted.

quote:

"Those consultations in Canada very much will include aboriginal communities, they are a very important part of the national discussion," Freeland said. "We are committed to a full parliamentary committee study and a full parliamentary debate ahead of ratification."

At what point does bringing up aboriginal communities in every single government decision and statement start to get a little patronizing?

I stared at this for minutes and can't figure it out. Is it an insult?

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 4, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

DariusLikewise posted:

If we were have the ability to opt out of the TPP right now wouldn't we be hosed anyways? Countries in the TPP would gain the ability to lock us out or place stupidly high tariffs on goods until we entered the TPP again as far as I see it.

How? The TPP isn't really about trade and outside a few small areas is unlikely to remove any more tariffs. We've already removed all those barriers through NAFTA and the WTO. There's also no mechanism for removing us from the most favored nations clauses in the WTO agreement just because we didn't sign on to some future "trade" deal.

This narrative that we're going to be shut out of some new "free trade" area is bullshit used to promote the idea that the deal is unavoidable. But this whole exercise is really about locking in US economic hegemony, in particular by doubling down on America's utterly broken economic model.

Jordan7hm posted:

About this guy.... I get the impression that is history here shouldn't really reflect too much on the Liberals. From what I've heard the intention was to have the clerk stay until she found her own replacement, but clearly something happened. This guy was the deputy and is interim while they do their search for someone they actually pick.

Even if that's the case, when Trudeau was asked about this guy by Mulcair his response was a classic politician's none answer where he just ignored the question and then praised the guy and said how excited he was to work with him.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ikantski posted:

I stared at this for minutes and can't figure it out. Is it an insult?

It sounds like an elitist put down of poor people.

Turns out the Reuters journo just didn't bother transcribing the second half of the quote~
https://twitter.com/jeffjedras/status/695356661062500353

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

My favorite Bill Moreneau quote is when he dismissed 13% youth unemployment because that still means that 87% of youth are employed, and besides, if you're smart you'll find a job.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pinterest Mom posted:

It sounds like an elitist put down of poor people.

Yeah that still sounds a little elitist. "OOh Tories are like people living paycheque to paycheque who think they're middle class lol" I like this guy.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ikantski posted:

people living paycheque to paycheque who think they're middle class lol

:canada:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I know I'm middle glass because my parents drank more wine than beer growing up, please don't pay attention to my bank account.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Christy Clark tops the list for the best record of Canada's premiers for fiscal management according to a report from the Fraser Institute.

Clark excelled in one category in particular, according to the think tank: running a surplus.

"Premier Clark's performance is largely driven by her ability to manage increases in government spending more prudently compared to her counterparts," said Charles Lammam, director of fiscal studies at theFraser Institute.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The trick is to get the poor people to believe they are middle class and tell them that the poor are trying to take away their middle class money.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

If you have a preference between Chardonay and Pinot Grigio you're clearly middle class. Oh you're skeptical? Well let me just refer you to this sweet condo that I used my line of credit to make a 5% down payment on.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

Even if that's the case, when Trudeau was asked about this guy by Mulcair his response was a classic politician's none answer where he just ignored the question and then praised the guy and said how excited he was to work with him.

Yeah no question.

I'm just saying maybe give the Libs a pass on this guy, because it wasn't really an appointment they went out to pick. They just took the next person in line while they look for their own person.

It's not like a politician can ever actually say that about a bureaucrat though.

e: I was pretty mad about this guy getting the job until I spoke with someone who had a bit more insight into what happened.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

"people living paycheque to paycheque who think they're middle class"

Rename the thread we have a winner

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

I know I'm middle glass because my parents drank more wine than beer growing up, please don't pay attention to my bank account.

Class is about attitude not income level.

My bank account might not be full but I believe there's a safety net behind me if I fall, and that it'll all work out in the end.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Let us begin a new era of international isolationism. We don't need anyone because we're Canada! Burn the tpp!!!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So, what does make a person or household middle class? Or low, or high?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if you think that politicians actually care about you that means you are middle class

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Count Roland posted:

So, what does make a person or household middle class? Or low, or high?

A personal income between 100k to 220k, legislatively speaking.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Excuse me, TPP will reduce tariffs and quotas on Canadian beef and whiskey. Increased pharmaceutical prices are a small (ok fairly large) price to pay.

Ikantski posted:

You are joking, ha ha.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ikantski posted:

Can you explain?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Count Roland posted:

Can you explain?

It's about a joke about the Liberals.

Anyway I think the biggest factor is probably what a person's parents' income was. Rural vs urban. Education, and the value the person places on it. Whether or not a person is aware of the world beyond their immediate surroundings.

I dunno I'm just trying to identify the things I've noticed from working as management in some pretty dead end jobs. There were the college students there for a stay, but then there were the others who legit didn't think they deserved better. There were a lot of people like that. Its an attitude totally at odds with what I saw growing up.

e: and also the other way with people who just can't understand how not having money could impact your behaviour or attitude towards life. That's why I say your parents / upbringing are probably the defining thing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Count Roland posted:

Can you explain?

It's Ikantski, the joke is always the Liberals.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Can you explain?

People earning 100-220k are the ones who will chiefly benefit from the promised "middle class tax cut"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ikantski posted:

Wait, that income for a single person is middle class?!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Cultural Imperial posted:

Let us begin a new era of international isolationism. We don't need anyone because we're Canada! Burn the tpp!!!

Swing and a miss.

I'm concerned that the TPP basically makes Canada a signatory to the really bad multilateral IP treaties that others have signed onto.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, that seems about right for a household.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CLAM DOWN posted:

Legally, yes. http://www.fin.gc.ca/n15/15-086-eng.asp

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

Upper class don't have to work and derive their income from investment income.

Middle class have large professional salaries which allow them to consume without want and provide a life with security of all forms to a four member household (note this used to be possible with a much lower income).

Lower/working class are dependent on income for transient security and make trade-offs in terms of consumption. They do not have the power to negotiate wages in exchange for labour due to their common skills and debt-loads acting as financial shackles.

Because there's a lot of privilege and class tied up with these definitions the easiest way to tell if you are lower/working class or above is whether or not you have/had student loans.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

According to that, the brackets that got the cut were:

$45,282 - $90,563
$90,563 - $140,388

So I'm not sure where the "100k to 220k" came from

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

According to that, the brackets that got the cut were:

$45,282 - $90,563
$90,563 - $140,388

So I'm not sure where the "100k to 220k" came from
It's not about who received cuts; it's about who saw the largest reduction in overall taxes. That would be the $100-220k range.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

cowofwar posted:

Upper class don't have to work and derive their income from investment income.

Middle class have large professional salaries which allow them to consume without want and provide a life with security of all forms to a four member household (note this used to be possible with a much lower income).

Lower/working class are dependent on income for transient security and make trade-offs in terms of consumption. They do not have the power to negotiate wages in exchange for labour due to their common skills and debt-loads acting as financial shackles.

Because there's a lot of privilege and class tied up with these definitions the easiest way to tell if you are lower/working class or above is whether or not you have/had student loans.

Bingo.

A lot of uninformed people look at $80k+ and think "WELL THOSE PEOPLE ARE RICH" -- they're not really, they're the dwindling remnants of the large(r) middle class that the 20th century had, and the sticker shock is largely a combination of inflation and of productivity spiking hugely but salaries not going up to match.

The majority of people are not middle class, they're lower class but refuse to confront reality and admit it. The Rich aren't the doctors or engineers or business owners pulling low six figures (and most of those people don't even qualify as 1%!), these people are middle class with a few sneaking into the very bottom end of the upper class, the Rich are the people with amounts of money that 99% (and sometimes 99.9%) of us can't even comprehend.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yea I get like a $500 a year tax cut, a fraction of a percent of my income. Probably cancelled out by rising food and good prices. That's what I call #RealChange for the #MiddleClass.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
150k-200k in family income is pretty wealthy all things said and you would do yourself a disservice to only think of the most bougie people as the only rich there is. A majority of people in Canada don't know what it's like to forget when payday is, middle class inclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kafka Esq. posted:

Swing and a miss.

I'm concerned that the TPP basically makes Canada a signatory to the really bad multilateral IP treaties that others have signed onto.

Michael Geist has been writing about this daily for weeks and he makes it sound pretty awful.