Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
So I have a fairly promising OgCK going:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1231-g8a3f8fb (webtiles) character file.

Xavori the Shatterer (Ogre Chaos Knight)           Turns: 64104, Time: 02:32:31

Health: 290/290    AC: 35    Str: 39    XL:     25   Next: 70%
Magic:  44/44      EV: 15    Int: 11    God:    Xom [.....*]
Gold:   2511       SH:  0    Dex: 22    Spells: 3 memorised, 27 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    b - +3 giant club "Skullcrusher" {speed, Str+7}
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    O - +8 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +          Spirit   +    (helmet restricted)
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    r - +0 cloak of Kolept {rC+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    (gloves unavailable)
SustAt .          Harm     .    (boots unavailable)
MR     +++..                    v - amulet "Jocrate" {Spirit rN+ MP+9 Slay+2}
Stlth  ..........               Y - ring of protection from magic
                                x - +5 ring of dexterity

@: repel missiles, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, hooves 3, horns 1, rugged brown scales 1, thin skeletal
structure 1, yellow scales 1, camouflage 1, agile 2, shaggy fur 1, strong 1,
tough skin 1, wild magic 1
a: Renounce Religion
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver
I've cleared Shoals, Snake, Orc, Elf and Vaults looking for less terrible jewelry and really haven't found anything. V:5 in particular was awful; instead of items, the entire floor was filled with potion/wand shops. I've got a ton of useful consumables now, I suppose.

I have a resist corrosion ring, but no source of digging for Slime :( I guess I could try Crypt or the rest of the depths?

Also, is the skullcrusher going to be better than a +9 GSC of a relevant brand? I have like 15 enchant weapon scrolls, but the only brand weapon scroll I've found gave me a GSC of electrocution.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I haven't played Sif Muna all that much, but my opinion is it's pretty good if you want to emphasize casting a wide variety of magic as opposed to just blasting things. I assume that if you're starting as a FE, you mostly want to blast things, so Vehumet is probably better. Certainly Vehumet is more straightforward. But if you want to be an rear end in a top hat finger-waggling wizard with a million tricks, DE^Sif is a nice choice. Focusing on necromancy and summons, then training bows and using portal projectile to shoot things from behind your wall of meat could be one fun path to take. With channeling, you'll never run out of meatshields or MP for portal projectile.

Mystery Prize posted:

So I have a fairly promising OgCK going:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1231-g8a3f8fb (webtiles) character file.

Xavori the Shatterer (Ogre Chaos Knight)           Turns: 64104, Time: 02:32:31

Health: 290/290    AC: 35    Str: 39    XL:     25   Next: 70%
Magic:  44/44      EV: 15    Int: 11    God:    Xom [.....*]
Gold:   2511       SH:  0    Dex: 22    Spells: 3 memorised, 27 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    b - +3 giant club "Skullcrusher" {speed, Str+7}
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    O - +8 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +          Spirit   +    (helmet restricted)
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    r - +0 cloak of Kolept {rC+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    (gloves unavailable)
SustAt .          Harm     .    (boots unavailable)
MR     +++..                    v - amulet "Jocrate" {Spirit rN+ MP+9 Slay+2}
Stlth  ..........               Y - ring of protection from magic
                                x - +5 ring of dexterity

@: repel missiles, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, hooves 3, horns 1, rugged brown scales 1, thin skeletal
structure 1, yellow scales 1, camouflage 1, agile 2, shaggy fur 1, strong 1,
tough skin 1, wild magic 1
a: Renounce Religion
I've cleared Shoals, Snake, Orc, Elf and Vaults looking for less terrible jewelry and really haven't found anything. V:5 in particular was awful; instead of items, the entire floor was filled with potion/wand shops. I've got a ton of useful consumables now, I suppose.

I have a resist corrosion ring, but no source of digging for Slime :( I guess I could try Crypt or the rest of the depths?

Also, is the skullcrusher going to be better than a +9 GSC of a relevant brand? I have like 15 enchant weapon scrolls, but the only brand weapon scroll I've found gave me a GSC of electrocution.

I'm pretty sure a GSC will be better than skullcrusher. Electrocution isn't ideal, but it's still not a bad brand. The advantage of skullcrusher is that it will deal really solid damage at a significantly lower skill investment, so if you'd rather pump throwing and defenses than getting M&F into the 20s, a regular giant club might be a better choice.

Disintegration should work to dig the walls in Slime. Do you have that?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Sif doesn't actually help you with casting a wide range of spells though. She just removes the contam if you gently caress up. Floorgod is far more generous with his acquirements, especially if you earn piety by clearing elf3 or stimulating the economy in a bookstore.

God gifts are great when they come early enough to be important or they are something kinda rare. Sif kinda fails on both fronts.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Only in about 1/5 games with a caster do I get pretty much all the spells that I want from floorgod, and only in about 1/10 games is it "early enough to be important". I very often feel a fairly major lack, and while I agree that Sif's gifts start too late and that its piety gain mechanics are Not Much Fun, the gifting typically makes a significant difference for your character if you're playing at all the way you should be playing a Sif character.

From your posts, you obviously really like heavily offense oriented blasters, which is fine, but that is far from the only way to play a caster and by no means is it undeniably the strongest or safest way either. I do think that Vehumet is overall better than Sif, but you barely allow that Sif has any value at all, which is just not true unless you're hyper focused on developing a specific type of build.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I know I was asking before about DDFi^Mak, but I found an early Pak altar and so far I'm rolling faces in Lair. This has really become a lesson in "Use your consumables!" and so far I've been able to use a Rod of the Swarm and an Iron Rod to overwhelm Death Yaks and Hydras, while just constantly recharging my Heal Wounds. My Iron Rod is -2, though. Should I use my supercharge on it? Or should I try holding out for a Rod of Shadows? Also, loving the new acid and iceblast wands.

What should I be doing with my skills? I've been focusing Axes with Evo on normal, but when should I move into some Fighting/Armor?

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Supercharging your Iron Rod will be the most fun, the HW wand the most winning.

You're emphasizing mindelay to a ridiculous degree, get plenty of Fighting and Armour. Use a battleaxe for a while if you want, or keep using the exec.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Darox posted:

Sif doesn't actually help you with casting a wide range of spells though. She just removes the contam if you gently caress up. Floorgod is far more generous with his acquirements, especially if you earn piety by clearing elf3 or stimulating the economy in a bookstore.

God gifts are great when they come early enough to be important or they are something kinda rare. Sif kinda fails on both fronts.

On my last vehumet game it took me until, like, Cocytus to get a book with Haste in it.

Really, though, the acquirement, amnesia, and contam protection are gravy and if you removed them Sif would barely get worse as a god. It's all about the channeling.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Fhqwhgads posted:

What should I be doing with my skills? I've been focusing Axes with Evo on normal, but when should I move into some Fighting/Armor?

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

To reiterate on rchandra, your exec axe is swinging at 1.1-1.0 and a battleaxe is < 1.0 aut with your current skill investment. That's pretty safe to sit on, though you could keep it slowly incrementing until 20 if you want to be certain enemies aren't double-acting on swings barring randomness. Your evocations have substantial investment too. I think your Kill Dudes skills are past the point where you should have switched to training your defensive skills.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Two people have already addressed this clearly and thoroughly, but I'll add that per experience point invested, you might well be getting better returns on damage, not to mention defense, by training fighting at this point rather than axes.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Last time I fsimd it, speed was better than everything except holy vs demons and undead, and not much worse than that. Given gscs' tendency to overkill there's a definite advantage to skullcrusher.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I haven't tested it myself, but I've read posts saying Skullcrusher does less damage per aut than a +9 branded GSC, but the point about overkill is a good one. It's also simply advantageous to attack faster, especially with a weapon that has a decent chance to kill weak enemies in one or two hits.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I'm pretty sure a GSC will be better than skullcrusher. Electrocution isn't ideal, but it's still not a bad brand. The advantage of skullcrusher is that it will deal really solid damage at a significantly lower skill investment, so if you'd rather pump throwing and defenses than getting M&F into the 20s, a regular giant club might be a better choice.

Disintegration should work to dig the walls in Slime. Do you have that?
Oh yeah, I forgot that works! I've got a wand of disintegration lying around somewhere.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I love Disintegration. I basically never use it on monsters ever since statues got infinite MR, but I am a big fan of having a convenient source of single-tile digging and portcullis destruction. Very handy for making emergency exits without accidentally blowing a hole through half the floor and letting enemies pincer you.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Xom: the best god, or the best god?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I love Disintegration. I basically never use it on monsters ever since statues got infinite MR, but I am a big fan of having a convenient source of single-tile digging and portcullis destruction. Very handy for making emergency exits without accidentally blowing a hole through half the floor and letting enemies pincer you.

I almost always carry around disintegration for making true murder holes. Blast digging to make a diagonal corridor, then use disintegration to make your one tile murder hole. That ensures that you don't have any open squares behind you for enemies to blink or summon into.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

Xom: the best god, or the best god?

The most entertaining/terrifying Zot:5 I ever had was when Xom took me on a teleport ride into a lung, swapped my weapon away, teleported me into the other lung, swapped my backup weapon away, then teleported me back to the entrance with everything now fully awake and me holding a +0 scimitar.

Rip weapon swap :(

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

The most entertaining/terrifying Zot:5 I ever had was when Xom took me on a teleport ride into a lung, swapped my weapon away, teleported me into the other lung, swapped my backup weapon away, then teleported me back to the entrance with everything now fully awake and me holding a +0 scimitar.

Rip weapon swap :(
That is loving amazing :allears:

I had one when Xom's weapon swap thing was still in where he swapped my Demonspawn's +8 triple sword of freezing with Ignacio's +1 exec axe of pain, then confused Ignacio, where he promptly fell in lava and died, taking my sword with him :shepicide:

Weapon swap was the cause of so many bullshit deaths

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I was originally okay with the Rmut removal, but I just finished a 5 rune game without finding a single cure mutation potion. After the 2nd orb of fire on zot2 my character was so hosed up I didn't even want to think about extended. Bring back Rmut dammit.

Also, Pakellas is awesome
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/puppykicker/morgue-puppykicker-20160204-234933.txt

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 5, 2016

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

BeyondRad posted:

I was originally okay with the Rmut removal, but I just finished a 5 rune game without finding a single cure mutation potion. After the 2nd orb of fire on zot2 my character was so hosed up I didn't even want to think about extended. Bring back Rmut dammit.

It's looking less and less likely :( There's been less talk about it in the mailing lists as well as tavern, right now there's a bunch of other proposals being discussed instead.

(I guess I can just say it here too: bring back rMut, pretty please? )

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

BeyondRad posted:

I think the correct move is to start talking about how you've spent hours upon hours performing a tedious yet optimal task to cure your mutations
I'm thinking diving pan floors eternally looking for purple meat to slowly RNG your bad muts away
(Is there even anything purple in Pan?)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I appreciate all the DD advice, though of course I got myself into a stupid situation and died on D:11. Pak was a lot of fun, though!

This has probably been thought up before, but since there are Brand Weapon scrolls, why are there not Brand Armor scrolls? I mean for simple brands, like Fire/Cold/Elec/Magic/Poison resistance? I just got a Robe with rN+ and was just thinking I'd love to spin the wheel and see if I could turn it into a MR+ robe.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Give Mottled Dragon Armor rMut.

Edit: This means not changing the current spawn rates of cure mutation or the lack of other sources of rMut aside from unrandarts. This is just following off the idea that rMut as an amulet/quick swap resistance no longer exists and that Malmutate is not being changed yet. Doing this would give an alternative to those getting unlucky with cure mut spawns, not getting Necromut running, and not having good spell options to defend/assault mutators.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 5, 2016

rvm
May 6, 2013
So, I'm running a Human Monk of Ru. He's a gullible (MR-), one-armed coward, hated by all. Shoals are going to be amazing with zero MR. Than again, it's my first game with Ru, maybe his abilities are actually worth the price who knows.

Also, for like 10 (since the infamous armour nerf) versions Crawl got easier and easier, 0.18 could stand to up the challenge (unless Pakellas ends up there without a serious nerf in which case the trend will continue, 'cause he's a little broken right now).

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sacrifice Resistances... oh hello Fannar. :smith:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jesus, if crawl is easy now, I'd hate to have played when it was hard...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Unimpressed posted:

I don't really think it's any easier, just different and less annoying for the most part.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Can attest as someone who's been here since 0.3.4; tedious stuff has been flushed, different stuff takes over.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Back then it was much easier to make it harder on yourself by not doing annoying stuff like dropping potions so they don't shatter to cold attacks, dropping scrolls so they don't burn to fire attacks, making (and managing) stashes because weight limits forced you to shuffle items around, picking up weapons so the enemy doesn't use it, etc. Not knowing the minimum amount of a stat needed to avoid being put instantly into stat death was also a common killer, but it was prevented by... knowing the magic number you need for your lowest stat.

Since the first version I played was 0.13, I'm sure there's a lot of goofy things I missed. Older Crawl was strange. :allears:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ankuses and Sludge Elves as far as the eye could see

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Eventually someone old enough to remember it will explain to all y'all whippersnappers this "victory dancing" thing.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Learning a skill is like making love: first, you make a pile of bodies, then you perform a rote mechanical task over and over, and then you're done

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't miss having to get to 1 spellcasting (by reading scrolls while you had experience in your pool) in order to memorize spells.

I also don't miss spell memorization having the same failure rate as casting that spell would have.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You used to have to train a skill to detect traps. And to detect hidden doors, which also existed.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Hidden doors still exist you just never find them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gently caress there used to be a branch called the hive, with nothing but bees inside.

FR: a branch with nothing but crabs

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Unimpressed posted:

As other have said, its not really easier now. A lot of stuff that was tedious and poorly designed has been removed. Some of that stuff made the game harder but removing it resulted in the game being more fun. As some examples;

-Corrosion used to cause permanent gear damage as opposed to temporary. It was a lot less dangerous in the short term but it meant every random enemy with acid damage could potentially cause permanent damage. It was pretty awful and required you to seek out gear that was immune to acid to even think about setting foot in slime.
-Item destruction used to affect consumables in your inventory. Enemies using certain fire spells could burn scrolls and ice could shatter potions. It was extremely annoying since good tactics was to stash your rare stuff so it doesn't get destroyed and also drop a bunch of crap when fighting enemies with a high potential for item destruction.

Both of these mechanics basically required the player to find an item with the preservation ego so they didn't tear their hear out losing items and gear quality constantly throughout the game.

I'm probably more vocal than most about complaining about dev changes in this thread, but there have been a ton of genuinely good ones. The game is a lot more enjoyable than it used to be, which is one of the reasons I've continued to play it so much. Its kind of what makes these more recent changes disappointing though.

ZeeToo posted:

Eventually someone old enough to remember it will explain to all y'all whippersnappers this "victory dancing" thing.

I played when victory dancing was a thing and I didn't even understand it fully back then.

VVV Cool, another pointless nerf because devs can't come up with ways to improve spells instead of removing them. That's a bunch of AC lost for statue form users.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 5, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Remember when I said I was going to do something more fun than HESk, because HE are boring and bad?

I did.

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1231-g8a3f8fb (console) character file.

1673428 darkli the Grand Gadgeteer (level 27, 248/248 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Artificer on Feb 4, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Pakellas.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 03:15:13 (72640 turns).

darkli the Grand Gadgeteer (Minotaur Artificer)    Turns: 72640, Time: 03:15:13

Health: 248/248    AC: 38    Str: 23    XL:     27
Magic:  33/33      EV: 37    Int:  9    God:    Pakellas [******]
Gold:   3539       SH: 23    Dex: 30    Spells: 2 memorised, 24 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis .    G - +9 iron rod (16/16)
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    I - +8 fire dragon armour
rNeg   + . .      Faith    +    K - +4 shield
rPois  +          Spirit   .    (helmet restricted)
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    X - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    P - +0 pair of gloves of Greed {*Contam rC++ Slay+5}
SustAt .          Harm     .    C - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {DetectMon Stab+ Stlth++}
MR     ++++.      Clarity  +    o - amulet of faith
Stlth  ++........               m - ring of protection from magic
                                N - ring of Ebui {rElec rC+ rN+ Int-2 Dex+4}

@: mighty, agile, very slightly contaminated, hasted, very quick, incredibly
resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, rough black scales 1, thin metallic scales 1,
blink, clarity, clever 1, low mp 1, magic resistance 1, mutation resistance 1
a: Blink, Quick Charge, Device Surge, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
I had done Pakellas before on a DD (because DD is absurd), but this was the first time I was worshiping him on a race that wasn't basically designed to work with him.

Acid wand is absolutely incredible since basically nothing outside of Slime resists it; I was using it to shoot down ancient liches and orbs of fire in Zot effectively, and the AC debuff goes ridiculously well with the iron rod (turning things that otherwise would have shrugged off an iron rod blast into things that will be ripped apart in 1 shot, and even rendering the aforementioned ancient liches and orbs of fire with their normally 20 AC at least somewhat vulnerable to the iron rod if you device surge it).

The iron rod basically ended Elf by itself with 15 evo backing it up, about the only things that didn't go down in 1 shot at point-blank range were what ended up being my weapon for the rest of the game (an elec brand eveningstar) and a deep elf sorceror walking around in branded plate armor and wielding the Sword of the Doom Knight...which has -Cast, so he was basically a walking anomaly amongst deep elves to begin with.

Also rip stoneskin in trunk; it's been removed and Passwall dropped to level 2 to replace it.

In brighter news, Song of Slaying buff that might make it not the worst spell in the game? Maybe?

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 5, 2016

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Cool, another pointless nerf because devs can't come up with ways to improve spells instead of removing them. That's a bunch of AC lost for statue form users.

It was a pointless spell anyway after it lost its statue form synergy. I agree it is somewhat an unneeded nerf to statue form, but the better way to handle that would be to simply buff the AC of statue form. This is one spell removal I fully agree with for the reasons noted in the commit. The change to passwall is also great.

The song of slaying buff is cool. I liked the spell already, but it was in need of improvement.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Pretty much every change reduces cognitive load and, for better or worse, makes you focus more on surviving an encounter at hand, as opposed to worrying about other stuff like not getting corroded, losing your consumables, etc. There's no exp / slot tax you have to pay anymore either.

Malmutation is the sole exception now.

And don't forget gargoyles. Man, these guys should just start with three runes and the orb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The game is better then it has ever been for the most part and is still not easy (or I am still just a bad player).

ZeeToo posted:

"Time to train up some Dodging/Armour now that I got a full exp pool. Let me just find a rat to attack me for the next thousand turns."
"Started as a Martial class, better save some worthless scrolls to read to get the Spellcasting skill going"
"Going to Zot soon, better get some Exp pooled up and go disarm traps for awhile so I don't stumble into a Zot Trap"
etc. etc.

Also, Traps & Doors was the worst skill and I am glad it is dead. I do miss disarming arrow/needle traps early game for a few extra ammunition though.

• Locked thread