Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I've joined the Yubari party :frogc00l:

Those longrange guns are great against Atlantas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yubari party is the best party because the Yubari party don't stop.

Because speed and agility are key to not getting your poo poo wrecked in it, you see.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Using my Fleet Battle Wyoming in pubbie matches should probably be banned.

I am the only person on my team with any kills. The only one!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Definitely a good time to call it a night.

It came down to me and the Bismarck both at full health, and I just used quickload nazi to make sure the H39 died so I wasn't very sure of the outcome. I knew his general position from his shots, and we ended up sailing right into each other. I spotted him long before he spotted me (this is why you put rangefinder and good spotting crew even on BBs), but my first shots barely did any damage, like 1100 at most (he was turning and I rushed because of my spotting advantage, a poo poo move). I shoot first as we both emerge from smoke, I do about 4k this time but he does the same and he just activated an ability, which is very likely quickload nazi. He shoots again before I do, knocking me down another 4000.

The thing about the South Dakota though, is that while it has lovely gun range for standoff fights, when you actually get to shoot, it's a loving monster. My next shot does like 6500 damage and sinks him outright. I was clicking to fire my secondaries (of which I have 10 per side at 340 damage each) but the game ended before I even could.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 4, 2016

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Ugh, pubbie teams are super terrible this morning. Had five games like that, two wins and three loses all with around the same damage difference between the next higher damage dealer on my team and myself.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Are tier 5 battles almost ways >50% BBs? Sure feels like it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Llyranor posted:

Like heavy tanks, battleships are pubbie catnip. It's what makes playing cruisers annoying because battleships are always guaranteed, but at least they can nominally contribute more than a lovely pubbie destroyer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Llyranor posted:

BBs are the easiest class to fail upwards in, though they take a fair bit of skill to play genuinely well. This means the dumbest pubbies will generally have a BB as their highest ship, blissfully sitting in the spawn, 'sniping'.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Bought an Akizuki, here's my first game in it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am beginning to suspect the Bayern is not a bad bote at all.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Bought an Akizuki, here's my first game in it

I see you getting Kondo down in the corner there. Also you should take another look at your available crew, there are other 2% guys that aren't Dolittle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panfilo and I just had the most amazing game. Between him and I, we killed 10 boats. I did 21k damage. It came down to me and a No Botes Allowed Yubari against a shitload of battleships, he spotted, I eliminated most of them and their CV, then got lit up by a scout and taken down narrowly, at which point the Yubari scrambled into our cap at 200 HP and managed to torpedo the Nevada down from full HP in two salvos, winning us the match.

It was on my x2 for the Ise, too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
That was an incredibly close game. I got 3 of my 4 kills in quick succession only in turn to get dogpiled myself. Then Night10194 took his turn to go on a murder spree, left click to kill botes one by one. He got something like 21,000 damage that game :stare: That Yubari was clutch though, when the first torp wave didn't kill the BB I thought for sure he was going to die.

They were so dumb, one of the BBs actually STEPS OFF THE CAP thinking Night was gonna be an easy kill. If both of them camped the cap when it was vulnerable they might have been able to win that way.

It was a very nice improvement from the previous game where some rear end in a top hat TKed Night10194 for the offense of...telling them to please shoot at the badguys?

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 4, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Llyranor posted:

Night and I had a game that I think was literally 1 CV, 9BBs, and 2CAs on each side. There were no destroyers, it was bizarre.

Personally I'd rather they balance it so its mostly DDs and less BBs, because then if you're a BB you have at least a better statistical chance one of the pubbie DDs is decent. When your team only has 1 or 2 and they're terrible, its often an awful game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The key to fighting other BBs without support is to have a lot of spotting crew, paint, as much disguise as possible, and someone who can proc Cunning, then know when to move slowly. They can't hurt you if you can see them and they can't see you.

Being a lumbering artillery platform is a stealth game, like everything else in Steel Ocean.

Also, the mistake that Nevada made was even bothering with his main guns against the Yubari at that distance. He just needed 2 Secondary connections and instead he bet on his guns shotgunning down under minimum range.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 4, 2016

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Does having 2 flags stack the CP effect?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Llyranor posted:

Does having 2 flags stack the CP effect?

It "seems" like it does but I haven't really done a thorough check.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Ask me how awesome this loving boat is. Also ask me about my love of long queue times.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Ask me how awesome this loving boat is. Also ask me about my love of long queue times.

Lockmart, how awesome is this boat?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
its everything I ever wanted in a boat. The only thing that could make it better is if it launched surcoufs instead of airplanes.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
I've had some crazy games lately, a mix of me doing really well and pubbies being really bad. The highlights of the last week or so in my screenshots folder:

My team was really, really bad. Very bad. Thankfully the opposing team was bad enough I could carry the match, though they were also exceedingly bad. I got all 8 kills before my death, and was out of main gun ammo and was using my secondaries at like 1.5 - 2km or so for my 8th kill, with most of the hostile team around me and yet I didn't evaporate instantly. After I respawned I put another 3k in to a Nevada before a friendly BB put a volley in to him to finish the match.

Matchmaker was being a bitch that day - 3 BB (1 t7 even) vs 1 t6 BB (me) and some friends. I had the Nagato down to 3k and his friend at 600 or so, but couldn't pull it off. If i had played better maybe.

I don't even remember this match but holy poo poo the exp. I do my one win a day on Fubuki for commander training, but this one stood out and was pretty close even with me going full Fubuki.

I've got a mix of other really high damage/exp matches in Repulse/Porter/etc but these were outliers even among those.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Giving it another try after getting a bit better with BBs in general, the Repulse is stupidly great. Easy to reposition or adjust distance, good scouting, secondaries can bitchslap a DD nicely, and the primaries are a bit limited in number but hit like a train. And after playing the Kongo, I really appreciate that they don't take like 15 minutes to reload.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

You had one job team. ONE JOB. :suicide:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I discovered today that a Yubari can wipe an entire squad of bombers in a single salvo of its AA guns. :getin:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I am beginning to suspect the Bayern is not a bad bote at all.

All boats can be usable, even viable if the player driving it isn't a smacktard. See: Tirpitz and Repulse.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I finally had my first decent game in Tier 6 in forever

Nah it's cool guys, just ignore the Eastern Flank, I can spot my own kills.

I wish I had saved the ingame chat, I didn't realize how drat salty the other team was until I finished nuking that Nevada(again).

Mazz apparently lost an 8/0 game earlier though.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

All boats can be usable, even viable if the player driving it isn't a smacktard. See: Tirpitz and Repulse.

Just how bad is a Tirpitz? I had a 3v3 game, both sides had the t8 german CA, there were 2 Tirpitz on the other side and a T8 BB (Taso?) on my side and me in a Colorado (t7). We won with no loss, and it was a slugfest and not something where the spotting game caused the lopsided result of the battle. I assumed they were just bad.

Repulse is one of my best t5 ships for some reason, even discounting the exp bonus. Subs at lower tiers are what i had trouble with - the proliferation of destroyers (especially early in the game) and the lovely speed really made it hard.

Groggy nard posted:

Mazz apparently lost an 8/0 game earlier though.

Ouch. What ship was he in and how much ammo did he have left?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Pervis posted:

Just how bad is a Tirpitz? I had a 3v3 game, both sides had the t8 german CA, there were 2 Tirpitz on the other side and a T8 BB (Taso?) on my side and me in a Colorado (t7). We won with no loss, and it was a slugfest and not something where the spotting game caused the lopsided result of the battle. I assumed they were just bad.

Repulse is one of my best t5 ships for some reason, even discounting the exp bonus. Subs at lower tiers are what i had trouble with - the proliferation of destroyers (especially early in the game) and the lovely speed really made it hard.

Thats my point, the Tirpitz and Repulse are both decent boats. Its just that they usually piloted by complete scrubs because of their premium status.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Pervis posted:

Ouch. What ship was he in and how much ammo did he have left?

It was a tier 4 game in my Hatsu. It got to the point it was like 8v2, and I was able to shoot my way to a 3v1 since it was mostly subs and hurt DD/CLs. It was 2 BBs and a CV against me, and I rolled back from one side towards my cap to try and spot the BB I thought was on the other side of the island (the map was that daylight one with the harbor on the north end and the big island in the middle). I wasted like 2 minutes doing this and ended up spotting the BB coming from the area I just left. I was able to keep him at 3km and kill him from basically full health with like 70 shots, putting me at 8 kills and ~11k damage, but there was only like 45 seconds left on the clock. I was in the cap zone when it ran down to a draw.

It turns out the CV and the other BB were AFK and had I just moved forward a bit at that first cap return I probably could've spotted + torped them, and fought that last BB with enough time on the clock.

Sucks, but it happens. Something to always keep in mind though is you should probably finish off a low health dude or check spawns like that before rushing back to stop a cap, if you can be sure you have the time left. If it's near the 8 minute mark, you don't have the time, since that's when the weak base triggers.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 6, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mag-detted an Ise with the Bayern in one volley.

:feelsgood:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So what is the key I'm missing with sub gameplay? Besides the proliferation of destroyers and CLs at the tier 2-3 mark to poo poo all over subs, I seem to be dancing games of being hilariously good to die-ing while flailing about with nothing to show for it. Also, tier 3 jap sub is fun because you get a pair of 140s to shoot at things with when you need to get above water. I know my focus should be on BBs and CVs, but either I'm finding seal clubbers in DDs that cover all lanes so I can't get to their BBs/CVs, or my team shits the bed and I'm nearly the last guy alive still trying to go around the edge of the map to find said BBs/CVs.

On the other hand, the lessons I learned with WoWS is carrying over well when it comes to gun aiming. Also, I keep getitng into knife fights with other DDs who forget they have torps and just drive right into my wall of them. Caldwell is amazing for that stuff considering it is only a t1.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

JuffoWup posted:

So what is the key I'm missing with sub gameplay? Besides the proliferation of destroyers and CLs at the tier 2-3 mark to poo poo all over subs, I seem to be dancing games of being hilariously good to die-ing while flailing about with nothing to show for it. Also, tier 3 jap sub is fun because you get a pair of 140s to shoot at things with when you need to get above water. I know my focus should be on BBs and CVs, but either I'm finding seal clubbers in DDs that cover all lanes so I can't get to their BBs/CVs, or my team shits the bed and I'm nearly the last guy alive still trying to go around the edge of the map to find said BBs/CVs.

On the other hand, the lessons I learned with WoWS is carrying over well when it comes to gun aiming. Also, I keep getitng into knife fights with other DDs who forget they have torps and just drive right into my wall of them. Caldwell is amazing for that stuff considering it is only a t1.

Subs are gimmicky like that. There is really no inbetween like you described. Either things go well and you have a good game or they don't and you accomplish nothing at all.

Subs are valuable in higher tiers because they can spot things with sonar but be really hard to kill. But in large games with lots of DDs its a pain in the rear end to do anything.

Play more DDs, its like playing a sub but without being trapped in your lovely little corner all game.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Dumb destroyers will sometimes try to go after you making themselves sitting ducks to your allies' gunfire.

You can also be more aggressive once most/all of the DDs are culled out in a battle.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Dumb destroyers will sometimes try to go after you making themselves sitting ducks to your allies' gunfire.

You can also be more aggressive once most/all of the DDs are culled out in a battle.

RIght, which is why I'm wondering if I should instead be riding with my team instead of sometimes going alone to a side hoping to flank the big ships while the small ships are skirmishing in the middle.

Mazz posted:

Play more DDs, its like playing a sub but without being trapped in your lovely little corner all game.

I have been actually. Just about done unlocking all the tier 2 ships. My favorite type of ship form WoWS has been DDs and cruisers honestly. Carriers to a degree as well, so I'll probably try them as well.

Edit: Also, what is the normal team size supposed to be? I think the best I've seen is 8v8 and I've shots that look like 12v12 or so. If that is the case, the small team sizes is probably not helping matters for me.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 6, 2016

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Oh wow, I got MVP as a Yubari on the losing team. Sweet ship!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Agano is real bad send help.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Be wary of the Battleship captain with the smarts to sit on top of you outside of your allies' firing range. I've probably killed ten submarines by just sitting on them in a BB until they give up or run out of torps/oxygen.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I keep hearing about that happen but I gotta assume the sub can just out turn the BB ?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The safer solution is usually to just sail away while laughing at the slow rear end sub as it chases after you like a tubby kid running after an ice cream truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Putting your battleship on top of a sub is pretty funny but not usually the best choice. Unless it's on the surface and you can ram kill it.

Also subs will do better if you platoon them with someone in a longer range shooty boat to kill enemies that get close to the sub. It's still a crapshoot though.

• Locked thread