Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Elderbean posted:

Any tips for the first blacksite?

Don't be an idiot like me and try to ninja the site. Use your ambush to remove a squad and then move forward, cutting a blood swathe. Also, be prepared for a long mission.

I snuck all the way up to the front door, got seen, and then I was surrounded on all sides by every pod on the map at once. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

idonotlikepeas posted:

Select it in the Character Pool list, pick export, create a new pool named after that character, click on that pool and export the character into it. Then pick up that file (Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\CharacterPool\Importable\[whatever name].bin) and mail it to me.

Almost there - look for a subdirectory called "importable" and you should see "me.bin".

Found it, I was looking in the Steam directory, not My Games.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpr5ge4as7x0nw0/Davethulhu.bin?dl=0

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

redreader posted:

Also lolllll at my entire squad of 10 people getting killed, apart from 2 snipers, in my first base defense equivalent mission.

I lost some idiot squaddies in that mission. Also I think that mission might have an exp cap or something because I got suprisingly few promotions for all the kills I got on that mission.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
They really want you to feel rushed this time around. The slow creeping pace of last X-Com is gone. I think I've had maybe 2 missions where no one took at least a little plasma to the face.

As far as the first black site goes, after you snag the vile setup a good ambush, it chain spawned 2 waves of assholes on top of my extraction point.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I can't even do crap on the Avenger for more than a few minutes at a time. I turned down all graphics to minimal options and it's not like a 4790k and GTX 970 with SSD sporting 16GB of RAM are something that would have trouble with that. Maybe it's because I'm on Windows 10?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Welp, I just finished the tutorial missions and I already ran into my first game breaking bug; the escape/back button on the loadout screen stopped working. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Well since the game keeps crashing I played with the character builder

that was fun

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Davethulhu posted:

Found it, I was looking in the Steam directory, not My Games.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpr5ge4as7x0nw0/Davethulhu.bin?dl=0

Oh, yep. I did the same thing :doh:

Thanks for setting this up idonotlikepeas

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eimi posted:

The only thing I can think of is I bought it at the same time a few other items? Still this is pretty poo poo that there's no way to contact them.

FYI my refund went was accepted 90 minutes after asking. :shrug:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone else got two skulljack proving ground objectives? I already completed the first one, but skulljack is still in the list of things I can test.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Jabor posted:

I think I figured it out - if you rename the character pool file, it doesn't import correctly. Not exactly sure why, but I'd guess the actual name you gave the pool is kept in the character data somewhere (and it fucks up if it doesn't match).

I've re-exported to a pool with the right name, hopefully this one works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9no9c81teawgol9/Jabor.bin?dl=0

I believe you are correct. This file worked fine. I checked a string dump of the Coolguy.bin file, which revealed its original name to be "goons.bin", and once I renamed the file that, that one worked too. (The goon pool has now been updated with both of those characters.)

So, important note for everyone: don't rename the file manually after you've exported to it.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 5, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ymgve posted:

Anyone else got two skulljack proving ground objectives? I already completed the first one, but skulljack is still in the list of things I can test.

The Skulljack is an item, if you want more, you have to build another through the proving ground.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

You seem like that guy that's in every infomercial. The one who's hands shake when he opens a jar of pickles then his house explodes or something while some guy on a voice over makes mundane tasks sound hard "Ever opened a pickle jar? Then you know how hard it is! Introducing the Pickle Master!"
It's not that I'm computer illiterate, it's that I get poo poo like this happening to me:

RedLobster posted:

Only a year to go until xcom is ready to play!

splifyphus posted:

Stuck downloading a 300mb patch at a trickle from Australia. poo poo's going to take forever.

Besides, I got the game earlier than most people anyway, since I live in Europe instead of America. There just wasn't anything to gain by VPN and too much to lose, due to data corruption.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
About the XpData ini file, do soldiers now require a minimum amount of kills to be promoted or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You can evac after sprinting. That's pretty useful to know.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
About to go to work and I feel like I should just call in sick.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ymgve posted:

It lets you build more.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

:rip:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How do dark events and blacksites work? What can I game because I'm really weak atm on legendary.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Does dashing still increase your chance of dodging overwatch compared to normal movement?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I assume you got the "kill some poor sod with fall damage" achievement if you hadn't already there?

By the way, if the terrain under a turret looks destructible, lob a grenade at it. It seems that if they move at all they self destruct. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ouch, six losses by the third mission. I should probably have spent more time warming up with the original game, my tactics are all over the place.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh hey, my starting soldiers are all women.

Smash the ayytriarchy!

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Good to see the mission name generator is capable of turning out some truly :black101: names

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay I've tried re verifying the games cache and it just keeps showing up a thing about a single file being downloaded and then nothing happens. Is anyone else have any trouble like this where the game won't even open?

I really don't want to redownload the entire game for 8 hours again.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Alkydere posted:

I assume you got the "kill some poor sod with fall damage" achievement if you hadn't already there?

By the way, if the terrain under a turret looks destructible, lob a grenade at it. It seems that if they move at all they self destruct. :v:
Sadly no, since civilians don't count for the achievement, and the grenade killed the regular trooper so the only thing that fell was his corpse, and the captain, sectoid and stun lancer all took 2 damage so they all had 1 HP left. :mad: Can't be too mad though, since the other three soldiers were on overwatch and killed the survivors so I basically took out 2 pods in a single ambush.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Josef bugman posted:

Okay I've tried re verifying the games cache and it just keeps showing up a thing about a single file being downloaded and then nothing happens. Is anyone else have any trouble like this where the game won't even open?

I really don't want to redownload the entire game for 8 hours again.

Are your graphics drivers and Windows completely up to date?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pakled posted:

Oh hey, my starting soldiers are all women.

Smash the ayytriarchy!

I have zero problems with this!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Elliotw2 posted:

Are your graphics drivers and Windows completely up to date?

I think so? I restarted my computer last night to get any updates. But how would I know?

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
So I am playing at "commander" or whatever hard is called. I am loving it, but also getting my rear end kicked. Ironmaning myself through and hoping to win another time. My question is this: when should I just give up and start a new game? I have lost all my seasoned soldiers now.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

A little late on this, but...

findReplace(aliens,ELVES)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I just failed the 2nd tutorial mission 3 times by missing 80%+ shots and then getting crit/mind controlled/panicked rookies rifle blasting their friends in the face. On rookie setting.

Oh how I missed you :xcom:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Optimus prime talks so much in this game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Internet posted:

Good to see the mission name generator is capable of turning out some truly :black101: names

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pwnstar posted:

Is there a way to paste text into the bio field or do you have to do it by hand for every soldier?

Anyway, heres a shitload of dumb goofy soldiers for you guys

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k942tha9qwitmf4/Idiots.bin?dl=0

This is a pro loving pool

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

My chief scientist (forget the name atm) started to say something about his predecessor (vahlen) after I did my first autopsy, but then impostor bradford cut him off to say something else to me. Does anyone know what would have been said there?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Tenzarin posted:

Optimus prime talks so much in this game.

He needs to do an honest trailer on this. I'm surprised he hasn't already for the previous game

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I hadn't realised the Honest Trailers guy actually was the Councilman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I lust for Sectoid death.