Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
If you are worried about Cove just take a PD. They trivialize the content there for the most part. Toss stuns around, spot remove bleeds and blight annoying high prot enemies. Occultist is great as well due to most of the enemies being eldritch. (but when is Occ NOT awesome :D)

When I first started playing I thought PD was a trap class, but now I can't imagine not having one in any difficult run. They have absolutely stupid utility and can put out reasonable damage in a pinch. I love stunning fatties twice in a row then blighting to reset their buff. You can even take them into areas with high blight resist just for their amazing stuns.

/end gush about the PD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RoboCicero posted:

btw i'm pretty sure each individual stack of blight is on a separate timer, it just displays the combined damage for next turn to simplify things
yes

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Question: Would Jesters be usable if they were exactly the same except Dirk Stab didn't move them forward?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Question: Would Jesters be usable if they were exactly the same except Dirk Stab didn't move them forward?

Yes.

I don't even use Dirk Stab unless I'm going somewhere with really high bleed resistances.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mzbundifund posted:

They would be worse.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Oof, I now understand why people were complaining a bit about the XP boost. In my run I've ended up blazing through levels and ended with a full roster at level 5, but without the gold or deeds to get the last tier of equipment on people, or cap their skills.

I haven't lost anyone but I did two Champion short runs back to back, both of which ended in failure when I ran into really bad fights with really bad rounds (one in the Wield: no prizes for guessing which monster sent me running away there), both where I had to cut my losses early. Now I'm really short on funds, my guys are still not properly upgraded, and I have no one left in my roster to do non-champion dungeons. :(

I can imagine a real awkward conversation when I have to walk up to 4-5 of my primo shitwreckers and tell them that they're all fired so I can hire some grubby peasants to go get some money to outfit the rest of the group. On the bright side I still have two veteran-level bosses to kill, so at least I'll be able to cover those as well.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Oof, I now understand why people were complaining a bit about the XP boost. In my run I've ended up blazing through levels and ended with a full roster at level 5, but without the gold or deeds to get the last tier of equipment on people, or cap their skills.

I haven't lost anyone but I did two Champion short runs back to back, both of which ended in failure when I ran into really bad fights with really bad rounds (one in the Wield: no prizes for guessing which monster sent me running away there), both where I had to cut my losses early. Now I'm really short on funds, my guys are still not properly upgraded, and I have no one left in my roster to do non-champion dungeons. :(

I can imagine a real awkward conversation when I have to walk up to 4-5 of my primo shitwreckers and tell them that they're all fired so I can hire some grubby peasants to go get some money to outfit the rest of the group. On the bright side I still have two veteran-level bosses to kill, so at least I'll be able to cover those as well.

Why are you firing high level people? You're still missing the point of increased XP.

It means that when you can't equip your high level people properly anymore, you send them into high level, high profit suicide runs. Why would you fire a level 5 to hire a level 1 to run for money?

You're complaining about a problem you are creating.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
It would be pretty cool if jesters could cause stress to monsters like those pig drummers do in the warrens. I want to cause an unclean giant to have a heart attack.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

satanic splash-back posted:

Why are you firing high level people? You're still missing the point of increased XP.

It means that when you can't equip your high level people properly anymore, you send them into high level, high profit suicide runs. Why would you fire a level 5 to hire a level 1 to run for money?

This post sucks.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

satanic splash-back posted:

Oh, well, that's what I mean by "firing" them, of course. :unsmigghh:

E: Really, the way I see it from a fresh playthrough the XP boost just tweaks the difficulty curve in the wrong way. It's exactly the same thing as when you're in the early game, with a smaller roster, and start getting guys to level 3 and lose the ability to go into apprentice dungeons. If you don't use your time at apprentice to prepare people for veteran you're in for a bad time. Same deal here, but the XP boost gets you into the Champion-only phase almost too fast. I can work around it, it's just jarring.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 5, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Chomp8645 posted:

This post sucks.

:agreed:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

2 meta 4 me.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Oh, well, that's what I mean by "firing" them, of course. :unsmigghh:

Thats good. Just doesn't make sense to fire level 5s to hire level 1s if you could just use them until they die to get treasure, then hire level 1s.

Pacing is definitely weird now, but that is a different issue. I don't think anyone sane wants to spend more time leveling up new characters, but theres not much time to make gold to upgrade them before they max as it is.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 5, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

darkest dungeon continues to mercilessly own captain invictus

working as intended, won'tfix
Nah I figured out the tricks they added after I stopped playing in EA shortly after the last post in this thread and this is basically the first dude in like 20+ runs to die, and it was from a bug, have barely used the bar or abbey because nobody gets stressed anymore

Keep on being weird though

TheChad posted:

/end gush about the PD.
I was running a triple PD + MAA team for a bit, it was pretty hilarious with just stunning absolutely everything and letting them die to 10-20 blight damage ticks

Back in EA I even had an all-PD team that wrecked shop, this was them early on after I lost my rank 5 PD to a champion boss right before it got rank 6 to complete my entire roster, so I thought I'd just try doing a group entirely of them for laughs, shame you can't equip two of the same trinket anymore, feather crystal is really too good

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mzbundifund posted:

Lawdy no, the lunge gr party would die if you did that.

Jester is pretty usable, he's just not always the most useful

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Had to retreat from a mission for the first time in Week 54.. Final Brigand Cannon.

Occultist didn't feel like healing for more than 3 HP at a time. Kinda needed him to be attacking the back rows, not bleeding out my dudes.

I'm over the Occultist.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So Plague Doctors are just plain OP. They can basically do everything BUT heal, and they even make up for that by healing the two most common side-effects, which is real handy. There just isn't a situation I have encountered where I do not benefit from having a Plague Doctor around, and I feel proud and honored that my first Plague Doctor ever is now my first Rank 5 hero.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It doesn't hurt that plague doctor trinkets are fly as hell and let you basically guarantee stun/blight with little to no drawback.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Plague doctor is one of the best classes to use once you get her best trinket, but I wouldn't say she is overpowered. She performs very poorly in position 2 and can't do anything in position 1, which is a big weakness.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

It doesn't hurt that plague doctor trinkets are fly as hell and let you basically guarantee stun/blight with little to no drawback.

You say that, but you really notice the stress penalty if you use the blasphemous vial in a high stress situation (DD missions, dark runs, abomination parties, dungeons you already have a stress penalty for, etc.)

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I love the plague doctor but I never know what quirks to stick to her. I guess the camp healing ones since that's basically her Thing at camping?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

Plague doctor is one of the best classes to use once you get her best trinket, but I wouldn't say she is overpowered. She performs very poorly in position 2 and can't do anything in position 1, which is a big weakness.

Yeah but I mean, that's fine, 'cause I need people who do good in the back anyway, 'cause I got lepers and bounty hunters and man at arms for the front

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chomp8645 posted:

Blasphemous vial is the single most OP trinket in the game, rivaled maybe only by the feather crystal

Well ok, berserk mask for the leper might be better

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Captain Invictus posted:

Blasphemous vial is the single most OP trinket in the game, rivaled maybe only by the feather crystal

Well ok, berserk mask for the leper might be better

What. The +3% Crit, +3 Speed for -10% Virtue and -33% heals received? The things that the Leper isn't struggling with instead of say... accuracy or busting through Prot?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Lyrax posted:

I love the plague doctor but I never know what quirks to stick to her. I guess the camp healing ones since that's basically her Thing at camping?

Fated, so her effective accuracy goes above 90%. On Guard or Quickdraw so she always goes first. Quick Reflexes for better initiative, and for better odds of getting first strike if On Guard/Quickdraw aren't around. Steady or Photomania for stress defense. Unyielding. Hard Skin.

Evasive helps quite a bit until she gets to champion dungeons, but not after unless you're doing a dodge-stacking (enemy aim debuffing?) setup with your whole party.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Feather crystal isn't even a good trinket. You do not want to lower your stun and move resist, because those are two statuses that can easily gently caress up a fight.

Onmi posted:

What. The +3% Crit, +3 Speed for -10% Virtue and -33% heals received? The things that the Leper isn't struggling with instead of say... accuracy or busting through Prot?

I'm guessing he has to be talking about the immunity mask instead, which is actually good.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 5, 2016

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mzbundifund posted:

Jesters are perfectly serviceable for their buffs and stress heals, also finale is a great party de-shuffler when ambushed or shuffled by enemy move attacks.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the best trinket is easily the abom one because it lets you not worry about having a dedicated destresser in the party

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I use ancestors pen and focus ring on my Leper.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

How Rude posted:

Jesters are perfectly serviceable for their buffs and stress heals, also finale is a great party de-shuffler when ambushed or shuffled by enemy move attacks.

my jester skillset is Harvest/Slice Off/Ballad/Inspiring Tune

His job is to buff and to finish or put enemies in range of being finished by the Leper.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Feather crystal isn't even a good trinket. You do not want to lower your stun and move resist, because those are two statuses that can easily gently caress up a fight.

I'm guessing he has to be talking about the immunity mask instead, which is actually good.

It's pretty good on PD cause you need as much speed as possible on her, stunning the backline before they act is a devastating blow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Internet Kraken posted:

It's been working great for me! Yeah movement can be rough and so can stun, but if you're going first and stopping them from doing anything, it's great.

Like I'm sure it's not good in some situations, probably the darkest dungeon itself has a counter to it (haven't gotten there yet) but up to champion level dungeons so far, it's been very handy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just had a long "Complete 100% of room battles" veteran-tier Warren's run go disastrously bad literally one room from the end with a swinetaur who absolutely refused to be stunned. I'd lost another guy earlier on, but the remaining team was solid enough that they were able to forge ahead. Then this dude showed up and the whole thing turned into a comedy of errors. Had a bunch of dodging maniacs on my team so I was able to make do for a bit, but then one turn before the swinetaur was due to die he landed a crit on my remaining main damage dealer and dropped him to death's door (and, adding insult to injury, stunned him). Both died immediately on the next turn.

Had to abandon the quest with one room left to clear which for all I know could've housed anything from four maggots to two swinetaurs or something. Managed to snag a bunch of heirlooms and cash so it wasn't a total loss, but I'm a bit grumpy now.

Took me like ten minutes to convince myself to retreat. I really wanted that rare vial reward for one of my Plague Doctors.

EDIT: Of course I come home and the key member of one of my planned boss expeditions is still missing. :argh: The whole reason I did this run was to buy time for him to come back.

DOUBLE EDIT: Geez, went for an easy money-making mission in the Cove and got run through the wringer. This game's very testy tonight.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 5, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Historically leper had the best trinket in one of the masks. Because you could underflow the leper's damage so you'd hit for a cool billion or so.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

At veteran level onward you start needing a dedicated stunner who takes trinkets and such to power through resistances. A houndmaster is great if you just want to slot in a dps that can stun, 135% gets through most resist levels.

Vet swinetaur is 95% stun res for comparison.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I brought a Hound Master as my dedicated stunner. Started the mission with two stunners, actually.

That dude just would not go down.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

I'm not sure how the dice rolls behind the scenes work, but they must have been real bad, sorry dude. :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Remember that post I made about feeling like a horrible boss because of working my afflicted team to the bone? Well I didn't fire them. I actually paid to rehabilitate them. And I took them out again. They are indestructible. They are gods. I think were 7 heart attacks between them on the last run. They are all still alive.

They are:

The Leper Auffrye the Bold
Man at Arms Bold Malleville
Stubborn Mansel the Vestal
and the Jester Tansoc the Bold

They cannot be killed and everything falls before their blades.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just had a third expedition go south. This time they all died since they refused to retreat when I told them to.

I have no idea what's going on tonight. I was doing comfortably well at this game every other time I sat down to play it this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Not sure how legit this is but every Swinetaur I've ever faced has been foiled by great dodge chance. I still don't know how much Bull Rush is supposed to hit for. Bring a Man-At-Arms with Bolster and also Rampart for additional stun if you can.