Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
First make sure you're getting paid, second do no harm :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
What I'm really waiting for is the bill for the hospital I was in for 5 days with a few days in the ICU. Among other things, they ran a bunch of CT scans and were feeding me morphine 4 times a day so I'm hoping it will break 6 figs. For reference, the bill I posted was a hospital stay for about 2 hours :v:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Wtf that was 2 hours?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Shimrod posted:

Wtf that was 2 hours?
More or less - I'm not sure of the exact time obviously. My friends who were with me at the track said I was carted to that (close) hospital via ambulance; they just did a body + head CT scan and then had me airlifted to the level 1 trauma center in Atlanta.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

-Inu- posted:

What I'm really waiting for is the bill for the hospital I was in for 5 days with a few days in the ICU. Among other things, they ran a bunch of CT scans and were feeding me morphine 4 times a day so I'm hoping it will break 6 figs. For reference, the bill I posted was a hospital stay for about 2 hours :v:

-Inu- posted:

More or less - I'm not sure of the exact time obviously. My friends who were with me at the track said I was carted to that (close) hospital via ambulance; they just did a body + head CT scan and then had me airlifted to the level 1 trauma center in Atlanta.

:magical:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Holy poo poo.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Someone please explain to me how a CT scan can be over 10k? Is there only like twelve of the guys alive that can operate that fucker or what? Like obviously I know, "profit margin," but is it seriously that wide? Does the op have a high chance of going gently caress-wised?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
America is broken as gently caress, that's how you get that bill. It should be about 3k for a cat scan.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Verge posted:

Someone please explain to me how a CT scan can be over 10k? Is there only like twelve of the guys alive that can operate that fucker or what? Like obviously I know, "profit margin," but is it seriously that wide? Does the op have a high chance of going gently caress-wised?

A CT scan is basically a glorified 3D Xray, it shouldn't cost that much. That said, the machine is extremely complex, and in Australia at least it's an extra 15 months on an already 3 year course to learn how to use it. There's usually 2 - 3 people running it at a time and they're fairly common. Cost I guess depends on how much they need to scan, I've been in CT with patients that took 3 - 4 hours to get everything done, it depends on how bad off the patient is. I've been in and out of CT in 10 minutes as well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
At the hospital I work at, in America, there are 2 CT machines and they usually take 10 minutes tops to complete a scan. I've never seen it take more than 30 minutes. It is also a really lovely and tiny hospital that absolutely sucks at everything.

As far as price goes, 10k seems ludicrous, but I don't do anything with billing so I honestly don't know what the expected costs of that should be.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Chichevache posted:

At the hospital I work at, in America, there are 2 CT machines and they usually take 10 minutes tops to complete a scan. I've never seen it take more than 30 minutes. It is also a really lovely and tiny hospital that absolutely sucks at everything.

As far as price goes, 10k seems ludicrous, but I don't do anything with billing so I honestly don't know what the expected costs of that should be.

I'm at a Tertiary hopsital (Lady Cilento Children's Hospital in QLD, Australia) and the ones that take forever are in Theatre/usually in ICU and are on ECMO or are seriously messed up. Most are 10 - 15 minutes tops.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

How often do they run it though? Does it constantly have people going through it or does it spend a lot of time being an expensive waste of space?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

How often do they run it though? Does it constantly have people going through it or does it spend a lot of time being an expensive waste of space?

Constant use for one. The other sits empty at nights, but gets used during the day. I'm not a technician, but if I recall correctly they leave CT scanners on 24/7 as well since they apparently have a long start up time.

I would imagine that whatever hospital Inu was at would be using their machine(s) regularly. If they're big enough for a proper trauma center then they're probably a very busy hospital.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
You also have to remember insurance companies make money by not paying for things.

That, combined with the straight-up uninsured means many costs need to be rolled into the price so that eventually it gets paid by somebody.

This also means hospitals have to employ a literal army of workers just to generate & properly file the purposely Byzantine paperwork, which is different for each and every insurer. The cost of services needs to cover all of their salaries & benefits as well.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I plan on never going to the doctor or hospital because gently caress costs. I'll probably just die instead. I hosed up my finger mountain biking last year and just wrapped it up for month. It hurt for like 6 months.

The last time I went to the "doctor" I went to on of them lovely "quick" clinic things when I was so sick I thought I was dying(flu). All they did was tell me it might be the flu but they have no way of telling because they are out of tests. Then, they couldn't figure out how to document correctly and my insurance company kept throwing the claim back. They were trying to charge me $500 for just being seen for 5 minutes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
nobody plans on breaking poo poo and ending up in the hospital. Just saying.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Doctor On Demand is good for minor injuries. When my friend crashed her Harley and got dinged up a bit we used it and it was $40 for a 10 minute consultation to make sure nothing was broken.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

cursedshitbox posted:

nobody plans on breaking poo poo and ending up in the hospital. Just saying.

Which would be why I said I would just die. Just saying.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

I would totally go to a vet if the law allowed. In fact, I'd pardon said vet of any risks or insurance needs. Like, just patch me and take my money, breh.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Verge posted:

I would totally go to a vet if the law allowed. In fact, I'd pardon said vet of any risks or insurance needs. Like, just patch me and take my money, breh.

The documentary "Trailer Park Boys" covers this issue in detail and it is in fact a terrible idea.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's only cause they went to greasy Sam the hot dog loving caveman

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Radbot posted:

The documentary "Trailer Park Boys" covers this issue in detail and it is in fact a terrible idea.

Everything went fine except they told the cops. Thank you for proving my point. Also...yes, TPB is where I got the idea. Don't judge me.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Shadowlz posted:

I plan on never going to the doctor or hospital because gently caress costs. I'll probably just die instead. I hosed up my finger mountain biking last year and just wrapped it up for month. It hurt for like 6 months.

The last time I went to the "doctor" I went to on of them lovely "quick" clinic things when I was so sick I thought I was dying(flu). All they did was tell me it might be the flu but they have no way of telling because they are out of tests. Then, they couldn't figure out how to document correctly and my insurance company kept throwing the claim back. They were trying to charge me $500 for just being seen for 5 minutes.

Please source your quotes.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
This hospital bill blows my mind.

I working in a hospital that deals with a lot of trauma and in our country, people get the works without footing a cent of it . Yeah the taxpayers pay the bill ultimately but you'll find that if you do the accounting countries with public health systems spend much less dollar for similar outcomes. A couple of years ago a man was wiped out by an old fogie that turned across the road without looking into a driveway, literally ripped his aorta off of his heart, was airlifted to our hospital and had marathon surgery to save his life. Dude walked out of hospital too without having to pay a drat dollar.

Having said that the flipside is that people can get pretty drat unreasonable about what we do. A woman in clinic a few weeks ago essentially got into my face and said, "You airlifted me to hospital, did emergency surgery on my femur to stop the torrential bleeding and put the bone that was sticking out back in and set it all back together so I can walk again. BUT IT'S A HALF INCH SHORTER THAN THE OTHER SIDE. YOU MONSTERS SCREWED ME AND MY LIFE UP."

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Haven't you guys seen this?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Man I love living in a country where I have to shell precisely $0 to go to the doc. Even CT scans are covered by Medicare in Aus.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Haven't you guys seen this?

Free market efficiency :911:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well, some little shithead grimy neighborhood kid just intentionally kicked a soccer ball out in front of me and I had to layer dan.

edit:
So I tracked the kid down, apologized for shouting at him, and gave him a good long lecture in front of his grandmother (who I gathered is his guardian) about how dangerous his behavior was. I think my initial shouting at him gave him a pretty good scare, and the calmer followup lecture about what could have happened cemented it. I shook his hand and forgave him, and I imagine his grandmother gave him a good tongue-lashing.

On my end, I'd say the fact that I wrecked was mostly my fault. I had just ridden through a big enough puddle to soak most of both tires about 10 seconds before, and grabbed every bit of brake, front and rear as soon as I saw the ball in the street. I remember recognizing the kids as a hazard before he kicked the ball, but not acting on it at the time.

I'll upload a video for critiquing as soon as I edit the kid out of it. I think there's laws against posting pictures or video of minors. The bit of video with him in it consists of me shouting "GO FIND YOUR MOM RIGHT NOW!!" while he's crying and saying "I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY!"

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 13, 2016

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Next time hit the ball dude.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nsaP posted:

Next time kick the ball dude.

An opportunity like this only happens once in a lifetime.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Well, some little shithead grimy neighborhood kid just intentionally kicked a soccer ball out in front of me and I had to layer dan.

edit:
So I tracked the kid down, apologized for shouting at him, and gave him a good long lecture in front of his grandmother (who I gathered is his guardian) about how dangerous his behavior was. I think my initial shouting at him gave him a pretty good scare, and the calmer followup lecture about what could have happened cemented it. I shook his hand and forgave him, and I imagine his grandmother gave him a good tongue-lashing.

On my end, I'd say the fact that I wrecked was mostly my fault. I had just ridden through a big enough puddle to soak most of both tires about 10 seconds before, and grabbed every bit of brake, front and rear as soon as I saw the ball in the street. I remember recognizing the kids as a hazard before he kicked the ball, but not acting on it at the time.

I'll upload a video for critiquing as soon as I edit the kid out of it. I think there's laws against posting pictures or video of minors. The bit of video with him in it consists of me shouting "GO FIND YOUR MOM RIGHT NOW!!" while he's crying and saying "I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY!"

As much as I agree with the 'blame yourself because you can't change the world' mentality, on the financial and legal side: he's 100% responsible. You have video evidence of him causing you to wreck - I hope he or his grandma is paying for damages. Did they even offer? At the very least, you need a new helmet and yes, they're responsible for that, too according to Progressive.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's a 'blame yourself because you locked the brakes' mentality.

In almost 0 situations will hitting a soccer ball cause you to crash. You own reactions to a soccer ball might. Just hit the ball.b

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

But legally, still entitled to compensation, I'd think.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Verge posted:

But legally, still entitled to compensation, I'd think.

From what source? I'm sure the grandmother has insurance - on her car, which was not remotely involved in the crash, good luck convincing them they need to pay out - but I'm fairly sure no insurance underwriter has started offering "mischievous child comprehensive" to any legal guardians as of yet.

The range of stupid that comes out of your keyboard never ceases to impress, bravo on your masterful trolling. :golfclap:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I got hit by a super soaker and it scared me which made me layer dan. It's ok though since I just sued the kid for making me wreck and got a new bike!

Seriously, if you can't deal with a ball in the street maybe this whole motorcycling thing isn't for you. I'm really curious to see the video to see how this could in any way have been unavoidable by the rider.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Bit harsh. You just need to learn a few things: confidence in emergency maneuvering (practice dodging imaginary obstacles)

Confidence threshold braking (practice in parking lots and on dirt bikes)

Knowledge of when to dodge and when to hit the thing. (If you can eat it in one sitting, hit the fucker)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

(If you can eat it in one sitting, hit the fucker)

I've always loved this metric.

Just raise the front wheel up and out of the way of the obstacle, as appropriate.

Also, ya'll are being mean to Verge again.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Spiffness posted:

Bit harsh. You just need to learn a few things: confidence in emergency maneuvering (practice dodging imaginary obstacles)
A lot of this boils down to knowing how to sit on the bike without putting your weight on your arms, in my experience. Stay loose on the bars even when swerving and braking. Some bikes that's easy and intuitive to do on, some not.

And anything shorter than your wheel axle is something you can safely run over. Curbs, logs, people lying down, whatever.

My MSF BRC instructor told about how he hit a sizeable dog on his BMW F650 once. He and the bike survived with no damage at all, if I recall. Of course the dog wasn't so lucky.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Just hurry up and post the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

HotCanadianChick posted:

From what source? I'm sure the grandmother has insurance - on her car, which was not remotely involved in the crash, good luck convincing them they need to pay out - but I'm fairly sure no insurance underwriter has started offering "mischievous child comprehensive" to any legal guardians as of yet.

The range of stupid that comes out of your keyboard never ceases to impress, bravo on your masterful trolling. :golfclap:

What? Entitlement to compensation does not require insurance. If you or your child cause me to crash, you're liable. Jay walking is a crime for a reason.

Who shat in your cereal anyway? How do you not know how legal accountability works? Cases like this aren't usually pursued because of difficulty and morals. In this case, we can do away with both because video makes it easy and fuckhead kid makes it moral.

• Locked thread