Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

does anyone remember that guy that got sent to prison for stealing a some teletype consoles and other ancient equipment that he was obsessed with? iirc he blamed it on his room mate. his website was great i wish i could remember enough about it to search for it

it was me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I found a couple of old Sun Fire v440's at work in storage the other day. Anything fun I can do with them, or are they trash?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Barnyard Protein posted:

does anyone remember that guy that got sent to prison for stealing a some teletype consoles and other ancient equipment that he was obsessed with? iirc he blamed it on his room mate. his website was great i wish i could remember enough about it to search for it

this guy?

http://keithlynch.net/pics/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

trilljester posted:

I found a couple of old Sun Fire v440's at work in storage the other day. Anything fun I can do with them, or are they trash?

they are middlin' size sun boxes from the good old days. four processors, probably a fair bit of RAM, more than fast enough to run a modern OS comfortably. but they are pretty slow and power hungry by today's standards. a fast laptop will have as much or more i/o and cpu oomph than a v440.

i don't know what you, personally, might want to do with an old sun box.

i'd be tempted to install debian/sparc64 and see what actually works on the sparc port. (guess: not much.)

other fun things: see if anyone has backported smartos/omnios to spparc; get solaris 8 or 9 up and running for nostalgia value; see if solaris 11 will install despite dropping v440 from the HCL

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they are middlin' size sun boxes from the good old days. four processors, probably a fair bit of RAM, more than fast enough to run a modern OS comfortably. but they are pretty slow and power hungry by today's standards. a fast laptop will have as much or more i/o and cpu oomph than a v440.

i don't know what you, personally, might want to do with an old sun box.

i'd be tempted to install debian/sparc64 and see what actually works on the sparc port. (guess: not much.)

other fun things: see if anyone has backported smartos/omnios to spparc; get solaris 8 or 9 up and running for nostalgia value; see if solaris 11 will install despite dropping v440 from the HCL

Hmmm, yeah, doesn't sound like they're anything interesting at all.

There's some other Sun boxes in the storage, I need to head back over there tomorrow, so I'll see if there's anything worth while.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
well yeah if you have no interest in solaris or sparc, there's nothing innately cool about an old sun box.

old computerin' has to be driven by either historical interest or nostalgia

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the scrap value is near $0 and odds are no one will care

it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission etc

hard 2 ask for forgiveness from Jail

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

yeah thanks! his story was a lot less believable the last time i read it. now, i don't know. it seems plausible that someone stole a bunch of poo poo and put it in his apartment, and he took the fall for it. its however strange that the things stolen were late 70's era terminals, and his house present day is still littered with late 70's era terminals.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

yeah thanks! his story was a lot less believable the last time i read it. now, i don't know. it seems plausible that someone stole a bunch of poo poo and put it in his apartment, and he took the fall for it. its however strange that the things stolen were late 70's era terminals, and his house present day is still littered with late 70's era terminals.

the terminal that's in all the photos is from the early 90s

beige isn't as far distant in time as you think

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'm still waiting for the update on his new apartment.

he moved out of the one shown because of "constant intrusion of privacy by the landlord" (wanting to do basic maintenance) and bitched and moaned about how long it took him to move all his lovely sci-fi books and pieces of wood using a hand trolley because he cant drive

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sweevo posted:

he moved out of the one shown because of "constant intrusion of privacy by the landlord" (wanting to do basic maintenance) and bitched and moaned about how long it took him to move all his lovely sci-fi books and pieces of wood using a hand trolley because he cant drive

His website is amazing. From the front page:

quote:

Preferring temperatures around 90 degrees.
Never getting sick, ever.
Often bicycling 20-40 miles every day, year round. (I've never had a car.)
Believing that most of what passes for psychology is not only wrong, but incoherent and meaningless. There is far more diversity among people's thought patterns than psychologists realize.
Posting several April Fool's messages on April First every year.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
poo poo. I let the blue smoke out of my old Atari Jaguar, which is kinda an old computer (right?)

Found it when I was going through my closet and decided to hook it up and play AvP. Used a wall wart I thought would work, and instead fried it. Turns out the wall wart was 9V AC instead of 9V DC :(

And, of course, people on eBay want $150+ for their Jaguars.

Goddamnit.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Of course this nerd uses the amber theme.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I coulda had a jaguar for $20 at KB Toys.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I coulda had a jaguar for $20 at KB Toys.

yeah the local kb toys had several of those, forgotten, up on top of the shelf behind a checkout well into '98, until i assume the employees stole them or threw them in the dumpster. what a turd

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I got my Jaguar for about $50 and now people want $150 for them on ebay. $50 gets you the empty plastic shell or a "Like New L@@K" empty Jaguar box.

edit: the local "retro" game shop didn't have any Jaguars.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 5, 2016

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
if you want a jaguar shell just go to a hospital and steal the machine that gives extra-strength enemas -- same exact case.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Apparently fried Jaguars are a common problem. Mostly from people trying to use center-positive wall warts (aka all of them these days) instead of center-negative like the official Jaguar wall wart.

Common enough that there are people selling Jaguar repair kits online that specifically contain the voltage regulators and capacitors that get blown up by a center-positive wall wart.

Guess I'll try my hand a SMT soldering and see if I can repair it.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 5, 2016

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sweevo posted:

is this detailed somewhere on his website, or did you actually go spelunking in whatever newsgroups he posts to?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doc Block posted:

everybody needs a hot air rework station

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Doc Block posted:

I got my Jaguar for about $50 and now people want $150 for them on ebay. $50 gets you the empty plastic shell or a "Like New L@@K" empty Jaguar box.

edit: the local "retro" game shop didn't have any Jaguars.

i picked up my jaguar for 60 bucks from craigslist with a working jaguar CD and a bunch of games and accessories

i sold the jaguar CD later on because of the "11 games and none good" and also the "this is guaranteed to unrepairably break one day" issues

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Doc Block posted:

Apparently fried Jaguars are a common problem. Mostly from people trying to use center-positive wall warts (aka all of them these days) instead of center-negative like the official Jaguar wall wart.

Common enough that there are people selling Jaguar repair kits online that specifically contain the voltage regulators and capacitors that get blown up by a center-positive wall wart.

They didn't have like a diode or something to prevent that?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If Atari were assholes enough to use center negative in the first place, they probably _wanted_ the thing to break so you'd have to buy a new one.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

when a computers left on it gets hot so old computers that have never been off are really hot and old computers that have not been on for a long time are really cold, just something to be aware of for safety

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

maniacdevnull posted:

They didn't have like a diode or something to prevent that?

apparently not.

but mine blew because I inadvertently fed it AC instead of DC. :argh:

it's an Atari 2600 wall wart, and my brain stopped at the "9V" on the sticker and said "good enough!" Wish my brain had continued reading, because it actually says "9V AC".

I even tested the plug with my multimeter, but it was in DC mode so it read 0V. so I thought the wall wart was dead but decided to try it anyway :(

apparently center-negative used to be a thing because The Internet says a sega genesis v1 wall wart will work for jaguars.

I'm almost certain that I've got the official jaguar power brick somewhere

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lmao

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

9v center negative

old Roland poo poo has the same problem. if you're feeling lazy just cut and splice the cord on a regular wall wart.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, that's my next step if I can't find the damned jaguar wall wart.

one other problem is the official jaguar wall wart is 9V DC center negative and rated for up to 1.2 amps. dunno if the jag actually needs that much, but it could be a problem since modern wall warts are usually only rated for 300-600mA.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

SO DEMANDING posted:

is this detailed somewhere on his website, or did you actually go spelunking in whatever newsgroups he posts to?

keith's weird failure fascinates me, and i can't really explain why. he's like logansryche in that somehow he manages to do literally everything either wrong or in the most annoying way possible. i was trying to find out why he quit the sc-fi club he mentioned on his website (turns out it was a tantrum over buying cinema tickets) and then i went to the newsgroups and read a bunch of stuff about moving and how hard it was. the full thing is spread over four threads and not really that interesting, but the highlights are:

- was very vague about why he actually moved out, meaning there's obviously more to the story than he's telling
- somehow took an entire month to move the contents of one lovely apartment
- moved an estimated ten tons of books two miles to his new place using a hand trolley, which flipped over/collapsed on the first trip
- insisted on taking every 30 year old wooden plank and piece of cardboard that constituted his crappy homemade bookshelves
- couldn't understand why the landlord wouldn't give him back the security deposit because the apartment was fine - it was repainted only 35 years ago! so he left his disgusting couch and piles of garbage in protest
- lived there 35 years and apparently never once vacuumed

he's moved in with a room-mate who sounds like keith mk2 as well:
- semi-unemployed and spends all day bitching about how he can't get a real job with the programming skills he hasn't used or updated in 20 years
- sits around playing video games all day
- got sued for not paying HOA fees
- responded to suit by ignoring it and playing video games
- tried to hire a nigerian lawyer whose business was conducted via a gmail address and whose office was a starbucks. who eventually refused the case
- decided to let keith represent him. keith spent weeks reading up on the case and applicable statutes and then 10 minutes before the hearing blurted out his strategy to the opposing lawyer, who got him kicked off the case on a technicality leaving the room-mate to represent himself (he got his rear end handed to him)

i'm pretty sure theres some bitcoin drama in that newsgroup too, but i can't find it now

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 6, 2016

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
tip: when you need a cheap negative tip, relatively high amp (1A +) 9V wall wart, look for guitar pedal wallwart cause those are pretty much always negative tip and people daisy chain pedals on them

here's one after 20 seconds on ebay

the listing says center positive, but boss pedals are 99% of the time center negative????????

like its supposed to be a replacement for this thing, which is center negative as you can see

Olivil fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 5, 2016

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
That's a good idea. If I can't find my jaguar wall wart tonight I'll def hit up eBay for guitar pedal power supplies.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

trilljester posted:

this made me look for what SPARC hardware would still run Solaris 11

a T5240 is like $400 these days with 128GB of RAM and no drives

maybe I'll build a storage cluster…

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Doc Block posted:

That's a good idea. If I can't find my jaguar wall wart tonight I'll def hit up eBay for guitar pedal power supplies.

arent you in the bay area? hsc at one time (last checked in 2013) had a whole box of them for a few bucks. ebay might be an easier option though

e: original jaguar power supplies, i mean, not guitar pedal supplies

Raluek fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 7, 2016

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
does anyone have that article some engineer wrote about writing the copy protection for a playstation 1 game, I think it was crash bandicoot? It's a pretty pro read.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sweevo posted:

keith's weird failure fascinates me, and i can't really explain why. he's like logansryche in that somehow he manages to do literally everything either wrong or in the most annoying way possible. i was trying to find out why he quit the sc-fi club he mentioned on his website (turns out it was a tantrum over buying cinema tickets) and then i went to the newsgroups and read a bunch of stuff about moving and how hard it was. the full thing is spread over four threads and not really that interesting, but the highlights are:

- was very vague about why he actually moved out, meaning there's obviously more to the story than he's telling
- somehow took an entire month to move the contents of one lovely apartment
- moved an estimated ten tons of books two miles to his new place using a hand trolley, which flipped over/collapsed on the first trip
- insisted on taking every 30 year old wooden plank and piece of cardboard that constituted his crappy homemade bookshelves
- couldn't understand why the landlord wouldn't give him back the security deposit because the apartment was fine - it was repainted only 35 years ago! so he left his disgusting couch and piles of garbage in protest
- lived there 35 years and apparently never once vacuumed

he's moved in with a room-mate who sounds like keith mk2 as well:
- semi-unemployed and spends all day bitching about how he can't get a real job with the programming skills he hasn't used or updated in 20 years
- sits around playing video games all day
- got sued for not paying HOA fees
- responded to suit by ignoring it and playing video games
- tried to hire a nigerian lawyer whose business was conducted via a gmail address and whose office was a starbucks. who eventually refused the case
- decided to let keith represent him. keith spent weeks reading up on the case and applicable statutes and then 10 minutes before the hearing blurted out his strategy to the opposing lawyer, who got him kicked off the case on a technicality leaving the room-mate to represent himself (he got his rear end handed to him)

i'm pretty sure theres some bitcoin drama in that newsgroup too, but i can't find it now

:stare:

you should post this in that "internet trainwreck" thread in gbs

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

does anyone have that article some engineer wrote about writing the copy protection for a playstation 1 game, I think it was crash bandicoot? It's a pretty pro read.

lol "engineer"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yeah, everyone knows that working out on games makes one a fungineer

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

are you talking about this one about Spyro

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131439/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php

there was also a good article about crash bandicoot's development which i think u got confused w/ the spyro one

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

are you talking about this one about Spyro

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131439/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php

there was also a good article about crash bandicoot's development which i think u got confused w/ the spyro one

that is exactly the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

arent you in the bay area? hsc at one time (last checked in 2013) had a whole box of them for a few bucks. ebay might be an easier option though

e: original jaguar power supplies, i mean, not guitar pedal supplies

no, I live out in western colorado

• Locked thread