Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Taima posted:

If you listen to music that usually depends on good bass I would probably get the m50x.

This. Even if it's not the most accurate (it's not) it's still way more "fun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'm gonna go with the 598's and an amp/DAC like the FiiO E10K or the SMSL SD793-II. Now I just have to decide on color.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

drat NIGGA posted:

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'm gonna go with the 598's and an amp/DAC like the FiiO E10K or the SMSL SD793-II. Now I just have to decide on color.

The black.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I've been out of the headphone game for awhile. Looking to upgrade my work headphones, currently using some ~5 year old akg k271MKII.
What would be the recommended ~$3-400 closed headphones with a relatively flat response curve? I have an amp at work so impedance isn't a consideration.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Full Circle posted:

I've been out of the headphone game for awhile. Looking to upgrade my work headphones, currently using some ~5 year old akg k271MKII.
What would be the recommended ~$3-400 closed headphones with a relatively flat response curve? I have an amp at work so impedance isn't a consideration.

oppo pm3 is all of those things

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

absolem posted:

oppo pm3 is all of those things

Hah, I almost bought those when they were first anounced but talked myself out of it. Is the only way to purchase them still full MSRP directly from OPPO?

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Full Circle posted:

Hah, I almost bought those when they were first anounced but talked myself out of it. Is the only way to purchase them still full MSRP directly from OPPO?

Looks like you can get them on amazon, still $400 and from Oppo though

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've tried quite a few pairs of IEMs and nothing for me comes close to the Velodyne vPulse's. As such I have 4 loving pairs, all broken on channel. I almost refuse to buy any more.

Recommendations for a sound signature exactly like the vPulse? IE Subbass that goes down forever, has perfect texture and control. Mids that are not resessed, treble that is nice and non-fatiguing? Especially no mid-bass bloat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

drat NIGGA posted:

I think I'm gonna go with the 598's

:siren: $69 Sennheiser 598SE :siren:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0126HISOO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Edit: dead.
drat that was fast.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 5, 2016

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Dead :(

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I wanted to double check since I'll be ordering today. FiiO E10K or SMSL SD793-II? The SMSL has good reviews and is cheaper, but will I need the bass boost that the Fiio offers? Thanks

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

drat. I don't really want or need them but I'd have snagged a pair or two at that price. Thanks for the heads up tho!!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there a difference between the 598 and the 598 SE? Looks like it doeant come in white and has a different or cable or something based on the amazon page.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a difference between the 598 and the 598 SE? Looks like it doeant come in white and has a different or cable or something based on the amazon page.

comes with two extra cables i think

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Stan Taylor posted:

Colour and it comes with a much shorter cable that terminates to a 3.5mm / 1/8th jack.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Finally ordered the 598 with the SMSL Amp/DAC. If it sucks I'll just return it.

Sincerely, thanks for all the help, I was totally lost.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The extra short cable that comes with the 598SE is insanely, insanely useful if you plan to walk around with the headphones.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about that $69 deal as he was referring to a used pair of headphones on Amazon. I would NOT get these headphones used as the cups are pretty warm and could easily cause perspiration during a jog or warm weather, etc. To each his own I guess but the thought of someone else potentially sweating in your new headphones is pretty gross to me.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

drat NIGGA posted:

Finally ordered the 598 with the SMSL Amp/DAC. If it sucks I'll just return it.

Sincerely, thanks for all the help, I was totally lost.

You're gonna love the 598s they are killer.

They also get exponentially better the louder the volume is, more than with any headphones I've ever used.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Taima posted:

You're gonna love the 598s they are killer.

They also get exponentially better the louder the volume is, more than with any headphones I've ever used.
Sounds like you need a more powerful source.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Sounds like you need a more powerful source.

Sounds can be deceiving apparently, as I have a good setup.

I just think the headphones sound better as they get louder. I find that to be an intrinsic quality of these headphones.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Taima posted:

Sounds can be deceiving apparently, as I have a good setup.

I just think the headphones sound better as they get louder. I find that to be an intrinsic quality of these headphones.

I remember reading a long time ago that music is subjectively reported as sounding better the louder it gets regardless of source, can't remember the neuroscience explanation behind it, but it's what's driven a lot of music to be mastered on disc at high volume relative to when CDs first came out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Listerine posted:

I remember reading a long time ago that music is subjectively reported as sounding better the louder it gets regardless of source, can't remember the neuroscience explanation behind it, but it's what's driven a lot of music to be mastered on disc at high volume relative to when CDs first came out.
I thought it was because people wanted their songs to be loud when it come on the mix during social events.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought it was because people wanted their songs to be loud when it come on the mix during social events.

You're right, it started with jukeboxes, I forgot about that- but what I read specifically had to do with the neuroscience of loud music sounding "better" subjectively and that's also been a factor in some practices. I think maybe in hard selling audio equipment? Kind of like how TVs at Best Buy aren't actually calibrated well for color because they're in such bright environments.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 6, 2016

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just got the Jaybird bluebird X's for $58. Sure they are a generation old, but that's a great price for good work out blu headphones . Check Wallmart.com. Edit, my brother is reporting they are sold out in LA, but not sure if it's ever state...

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I need help! I accidentally stepped on my HD800 cable while reaching over to pick up something off the ground and now the left side jack is hosed up. Needless to say I only get sound out of the right earphone now.

I rather not spend $400 bucks by sending it to Sennheiser to get it fixed if I don't have to. Anybody here have any luck with a reputable headphone repair service??

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
My girlfriend needs a headphone set for the office.

Requirements:

Lightweight, comfortable to wear for long hours, weeks, months, and will cancel most ambient noise in an office setting (laughter, chatter, etc.). Please note that her fragile head won't tolerate any overly-bulky sets.
Regarding sound quality, she won't write a 6,000 word essay on head-fi if the sound is not analytically correct, whatever the gently caress that means. Man that place is weird at times.
Budget is between $50-300.

Help me out please.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

I need help! I accidentally stepped on my HD800 cable while reaching over to pick up something off the ground and now the left side jack is hosed up. Needless to say I only get sound out of the right earphone now.

I rather not spend $400 bucks by sending it to Sennheiser to get it fixed if I don't have to. Anybody here have any luck with a reputable headphone repair service??

Have you contacted Sennheiser regarding a quote for this repair? How did you come to $400USD as the repair cost?

Pr0phecy posted:

My girlfriend needs a headphone set for the office.

Requirements:

Lightweight, comfortable to wear for long hours, weeks, months, and will cancel most ambient noise in an office setting (laughter, chatter, etc.). Please note that her fragile head won't tolerate any overly-bulky sets.
Regarding sound quality, she won't write a 6,000 word essay on head-fi if the sound is not analytically correct, whatever the gently caress that means. Man that place is weird at times.

Help me out please.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Acoustic-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00M1NEUKK/

You'll be jealous. Portable anechoic chamber paradise. Lightweight and comfortable, sounds pretty decent considering they're Bose.

There's also the Audio-Technicas but I've never tried them http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC9-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B007KWLF5K/

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
I upgraded to some AKG 701's and my Grado S60's are up for sale in the 'Mart. Here's the link. Make me an offer!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763220

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pr0phecy posted:

I like my Sony MDR-1R, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned, they're light without feeling flimsy, don't press into my head [this is why I sold my V-Modas] and have pretty good isolation. The current model is the MDR-1A but there's also the MDR-10R which is a little smaller [and a lot cheaper] but with similar construction. The 1R/1A are fairly sizable, I have pretty big ears and they go all the way over them. I found Sennheiser HD 280s to be very comfortable too, just didn't like the sound much.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Thank you friends, I've purchased the 280's because it was written that they're "PRO" and my gf will surely be impressed by that, and me by association.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Have you contacted Sennheiser regarding a quote for this repair? How did you come to $400USD as the repair cost?

400 bucks is the flat rate repair stated on their website.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

Ohh that sucks. :rip: sorry to hear that. I haven't tried any repair shops that weren't a manufacturer's. Good luck!

fake edit: if you decide to just sell them for super cheap since they're broken, ie: all the quotes you get are pretty high etc, I'd be willing to get them repaired by Sennheiser. Drop me a PM if you want to go that route.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Can you really not get a replacement cable instead?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Holy crap these sound great and are so drat comfortable. I hadn't realized how heavy and tight my 280's were. The 598's feel so light.

Sound is really clean, bass isn't has bad as I thought it would be. My onboard sound is having even more trouble with these but it should be fixed when I get my amp tomorrow.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Can you really not get a replacement cable instead?

I would but I don't have the skills necessary to repair the ripped/broken wires. I need to take a picture of the damage to illustrate it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Ohh that sucks. :rip: sorry to hear that. I haven't tried any repair shops that weren't a manufacturer's. Good luck!

fake edit: if you decide to just sell them for super cheap since they're broken, ie: all the quotes you get are pretty high etc, I'd be willing to get them repaired by Sennheiser. Drop me a PM if you want to go that route.

I might take you up on that. They are beautiful sounding cans and you don't want to know how many cuss words came out of my mouth when I stepped on the cable.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

I might take you up on that. They are beautiful sounding cans and you don't want to know how many cuss words came out of my mouth when I stepped on the cable.

Sure, send me a PM with what you're wanting for them. If I don't go for it, you can always try SA-Mart!

e: I've been really considering LCD-2s for a while, this might be what I need to convince me not to get those, haha. Either way it'll be a few weeks until I'm back in the states.

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 7, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

I would but I don't have the skills necessary to repair the ripped/broken wires. I need to take a picture of the damage to illustrate it.
You do need to take a picture, because as I understand it you can just unplug the busted wire and shove in a new one.

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax
I've got this guy at work that sits around 3 cubes away from me that is constantly snorting and gagging and coughing on his phlegm like a disgusting pig. I have some cheap on ear Sennheisers that don't block out his grotesque sounds and am looking to get some new decent headphones that will block this out since it is slowly driving me insane.

Do I need some ANC headphones to block this out or would some decently sealed closed ear like the 280s do the trick?

Thanks friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

You do need to take a picture, because as I understand it you can just unplug the busted wire and shove in a new one.

Here are the pictures. As you can see, the left side is where the cable was jerked out and the wires tore off. The right side is what it should look like. I don't think a replacement cable will fix this problem unfortunately.

Only registered members can see post attachments!