Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Play on an easier difficulty then.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Whoever "Chronicide" is, I tried to save you in my first real mission but every time I reset you ultimately perished in another horrific way. You did manage to go out in a blaze of glory in the end though. I'm sorry, you're Emily Blunt's character in Edge of Tomorrow :(

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Meta-Mollusk posted:

This is pretty much exactly how I got my first casualty. Saved a civilian with my Ranger by heroically slicing a Sectoid hiding behind a car. Of course the civilian turned into a loving monster, attacked his savior and blew up the car in the process. :suicide:
Just don't go near civilians imo. Aliens are gonna kill one per turn regardless, so I've decided to just cover ground and activate pods to draw attention quickly.

Of course, I still got my second Grenadier injured because a Faceless was just near enough to the cover location he was moving towards to activate, and then half the team missed with their overwatch shots because they are terrible.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I got my first unfixable situation, so now it's time to import Goon Squad and get everyone murdered again!

edit:V If you're in that character pool that's going around, you will be at some point.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 5, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Am I in goon squad

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

Does this support cloud save? I'd like to keep the same save synced between laptop and desktop if possible.

Yes, XCOM 2 has cloud saves.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Maybe that has been asked before, but thread moves too drat fast.

How do I ensure that specific characters will make it into the first initial squad? Like I suspect Beagle did for Jamball and his virtual self?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wizard Styles posted:

Just don't go near civilians imo. Aliens are gonna kill one per turn regardless, so I've decided to just cover ground and activate pods to draw attention quickly.

Of course, I still got my second Grenadier injured because a Faceless was just near enough to the cover location he was moving towards to activate, and then half the team missed with their overwatch shots because they are terrible.

It's not so bad to grab civilians but you have to make sure you get only the ones that are near normal cover and not on rooftops. No cars, of course. The swipe of the faceless hurts a LOT but doesn't really kill outright unless you were already hurt, but throw a exploding car or a fall through a roof in the mix and you're dead.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Does the AI also use it's full tactical envelope on veteran or only on Commander and Legendary ?

I think in Xcom the AI played dumber if you didn't play on classic or impossible. And what I did then was edit the ini so that I get the smarter AI but without the aim buffs. No idea if this is necessary here, although I think that Beagle said something about it.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
All Gooned up and ready to go. Twitchiest ranger of all time ready to die horribly on the front lines.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56149924/Chiwieexport.bin

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I hope there's an achievement for getting Jane Kelly to the end.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Furism posted:

Maybe that has been asked before, but thread moves too drat fast.

How do I ensure that specific characters will make it into the first initial squad? Like I suspect Beagle did for Jamball and his virtual self?

I don't think you can ensure specific characters, but you can tell the game to only use people from the pool until they all die/get recruited by changing the line
code:
InitialSoldiersCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_Mixed
to eCPSM_PoolOnly in the gamedata.ini file.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The Battle Scanner also reveals Faceless hidden inside civvies and is one of the most basic pieces of research to complete in the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How are the kb/mouse controls this time? I remember in the older previews they mentioned retooling the interface to be more m/kb friendly where-as I felt EU/EW was more controller friendly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's the exact same but the buttons are smaller.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
enjoying the plot of the first mission where my band of rogues assaults the cyber police in order to rescue the ancient mariner for what I assume are his powerful sea shanties.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
DAMMIT, Firaxis! I just lost three soldiers because your LOS code is still all bugged up.

Run up to building and VIP activates through the wall. Advent soldier on roof starts shooting at VIP through the floor/ceiling. Advent outside start flanking and shooting my guys inside through the exterior, windowless walls.

Isaac Asimov and VIP made it out on the last turn, but ugh.

:ughh:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elliotw2 posted:

It's the exact same but the buttons are smaller.

Does it have controller support this time then? I also remember reading it wouldn't come with xbox controller support.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fintilgin posted:

DAMMIT, Firaxis! I just lost three soldiers because your LOS code is still all bugged up.

Run up to building and VIP activates through the wall. Advent soldier on roof starts shooting at VIP through the floor/ceiling. Advent outside start flanking and shooting my guys inside through the exterior, windowless walls.

This is why I'm not turning Ironman on.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

So are there actually any mod tools yet, or is it still just futzing with the ini settings like the first one?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Just turn the difficulty down to easy, scrub :smug:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

So are there actually any mod tools yet, or is it still just futzing with the ini settings like the first one?

They've released the dev tools.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

This is why I'm not turning Ironman on.

I'm kind of sad about this, because I really want to play my first run on Ironman like I did with Enemy Unknown. It feels like it's the "right" way to play. I can probably just force myself to do it anyway and reset only when my soldiers are killed due to obvious bugs, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well do it official, y'know?

I can't decide whether to just go ahead and play now (not on Ironman) and accept that I won't be playing the way I want to quite yet, or if I should wait for a couple of patches (and accept that I won't be playing XCOM 2).

...yeah, I think it's going to have to be the former.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
There's some intrepid modders out there poopsocking right now to give us all the very first XCOM nude mod :911:

Godspeed, you beautiful bastards.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So far the only lost soldiers I've experienced were a mission where I forgot the time limit and had to abandon 4/5 of my squad, I'm playing on Veteran and finishing most missions with 80-100% of my shots hitting and no enemy fire at all. Phantom is a little too strong in the way it lets you scout pods and then pick them off with a sniper without activating them.

I know Jake Solomon said experienced xcom players should start on Veteran but I would suggest something higher if you want a challenge.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

It comes with the full UE3 SDK they used and also nearly the entire game uncompressed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I'm kind of sad about this, because I really want to play my first run on Ironman like I did with Enemy Unknown. It feels like it's the "right" way to play. I can probably just force myself to do it anyway and reset only when my soldiers are killed due to obvious bugs, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well do it official, y'know?

I can't decide whether to just go ahead and play now (not on Ironman) and accept that I won't be playing the way I want to quite yet, or if I should wait for a couple of patches (and accept that I won't be playing XCOM 2).

Yeah I might go ahead and do a commander ironman after my first win on veteran, but to start the game that sounds like a good way to kill the fun fast. LOS would get lovely in EU but not quite like that!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
In his PC Gamer article Beagle says that when you hover a tile you can see the LOS of the soldier if you move him to that tile. I can't seem to see that, what am I doing wrong?

Also, can we get in the OP how to export our characters to put them in the Goon pool?

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't think you can ensure specific characters, but you can tell the game to only use people from the pool until they all die/get recruited by changing the line
code:
InitialSoldiersCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_Mixed
to eCPSM_PoolOnly in the gamedata.ini file.

Thanks!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Just turn the difficulty down to easy, scrub :smug:

As someone playing on babby difficulty, there is still a huge amount of :xcom: you have to deal with. Missing 80%+ flank shots will happen quite regularly and your rookies still panic at the slightest wet fart. It feels a lot like Normal from EU/EW which kind of defeats the purpose of having an easy difficulty. Sometimes people just want to bumrush the story first with a squad of super powered veterans. :(

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

There's some intrepid modders out there poopsocking right now to give us all the very first XCOM nude mod :911:

Godspeed, you beautiful bastards.

Loverslab is already re-doing all of the animations to make rape-com I'm sure.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to always be zoomed out (z button)? It says its a toggle, but it's clearly not.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Did a few missions so far on Commander: as others have said, ADVENT really loves to pull suicidal maneuvers if it allows them a flank, like the one flashbanged Sectoid with 1hp left that ran into a fire to kill my Support from barely within sight range and then dieing on its next turn before being able to take any action. :v:

Thankfully aside from that incident, I haven't had too many issues and the game is fun so far, though I am tempted to restart now that I think I'm done with the tutorial plot.

And after making Revolver Ocelot in the character creator, I think I'll crank out a couple more soldiers to add to the pool. :keke:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Is there a way to always be zoomed out (z button)? It says its a toggle, but it's clearly not.

Mash G, when you're tired of it mash T

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Furism posted:

In his PC Gamer article Beagle says that when you hover a tile you can see the LOS of the soldier if you move him to that tile. I can't seem to see that, what am I doing wrong?
Pay attention to the health bars of enemies - if your soldier will be able to see them when they move to the highlighted tile, there'll be a little red crosshair next to it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Man these "make getting out of concealment count" ambushes are awesome. There's nothing quite like throwing a grenade and getting a 3x Overwatch followup.

E:

The Kins posted:

Pay attention to the health bars of enemies - if your soldier will be able to see them when they move to the highlighted tile, there'll be a little red crosshair next to it.

Right, I must have overlooked that. Thanks!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

As someone playing on babby difficulty, there is still a huge amount of :xcom: you have to deal with. Missing 80%+ flank shots will happen quite regularly and your rookies still panic at the slightest wet fart. It feels a lot like Normal from EU/EW which kind of defeats the purpose of having an easy difficulty. Sometimes people just want to bumrush the story first with a squad of super powered veterans. :(

I was being a bit sarcastic, sorry. started on Easy to get a handle on the new mechanics, but it doesn't feel that way. Mission timers should at least have been relaxed. The LOS problems I had in the last mission (activations/overwatches through solid walls), though, that's just not excusable when one of your selling points is "we fixed the LOS stuff from EU." Also not a big fan of mind control that early into the game - it's one thing when the enemy can deny you one member of a six person squad (which is what you should have had in EU by the time you stormed the alien base and met your first Sectoid Commander), it's another thing to get it in the third mission when you only have four three soldiers.

I wonder what kind of hot garbage this game was back in November.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Are there any tips on dealing with sectoids for the first few levels? Want to not lose people early in the game but the MC/Panic on reveal and their fairly substantial health pool makes them tricky to burn down quickly with the junk rookie rifles. Overwatch ambushes the way to go?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

Mash G, when you're tired of it mash T

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Harrow posted:

Just play it normally and only load the previous turn autosave if the game bugs out on you, ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Wiped on first post-rescue mission because I forgot that throwing a grenade so close to the semi my squad was hunkered by would blow it up.

Game owns.

Squaddies Angus "Mac" Macgyver and Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr. are ready to roll.

I'm going to spend way too much time in the character pool.