Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm shocked there isn't a Lip Sync Battle thread. I've been watching random episodes the last few days and its such a surprisingly great show. Like, it sounds so stupid on paper but the fact they have legit stars going balls out and looking like they're having the time of their lives makes it kind of amazing.

Not the Tebow episode that just aired, though. But I assume they knew that one sucked because they immediately followed it with Tatum vs Tatum which was loving amazeballs.

Also I just learned that my spell checker has no problem with "amazeballs." What an illuminating night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

STAC Goat posted:

I'm shocked there isn't a Lip Sync Battle thread.

:rolleyes:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

zoux posted:

He'd actually probably be a great pick. If you saw his Cars and Comedians he's actually really funny when he's not reading cue cards, and I dunno if there's anyone more passionate or knowledgeable about cars.

Yeah, Jay Leno Would be my top pick as an American Host for Top Gear. Leno spent the fortune he made from the Tonight Show filling his garage with antique cars. Even if you don't think he's funny, Leno is a gearhead and is seriously into cars.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm shocked there isn't a Lip Sync Battle thread.

We had one when it first started and it did well for a couple of weeks, and then it just kinda died.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LSB seems like one of those shows that you watch because it's on. It's fun and all, but I can't imagine tuning in to what is essentially the same thing every week, but I guess that's what some people like.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow that latest X-Files episode was insanely good.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So this weeks Teachers had maybe some of the most explicated references to Anal sex I've ever seen on a non-movie network show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn't TBS basic cable?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Teachers is on TVLand, but yes both are basic cable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Isn't TBS basic cable?

Yeah, wasn't the whole point of it so that Ted Turner could show Braves games nationwide?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Orange is the New Black was just renewed for seasons 5, 6 and 7 :monocle:

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

less laughter posted:

Hopefully they continue the trend of diminishing Piper's role in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Teachers is on TVLand, but yes both are basic cable.

Oops my bad. Guess this shows how much attention I actually pay to Alison Brie's tweets.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manos del Sino posted:

Hopefully they continue the trend of diminishing Piper's role in it.

I quit watching it during the last season because they made it about Piper and Alex again. The two worst characters on the show.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Escobarbarian posted:

Isn't TBS basic cable?

Even basic cable rarely has someone getting there rear end fingered as part of an episode.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

less laughter posted:

Netflix just tossing around swag like nobody's bidness :boom:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I do wonder a bit how they'll keep the story running for seven seasons... They already burned through all the content of the book (it's great btw, y'all should read it) in season 1 and 2, and season 3 started showing diminishing returns so to stretch it out for 4 more may prove pretty difficult.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
WHAT THE gently caress ALL THE GHOST IN THE SHELL SOUNDTRACK IS GONE FROM YOUTUBE

GOD DAMNIT

I just want to listen to the end credits song on a whim and all there are is really terrible covers.

edit: thank god for soundcloud.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 5, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Piper was a useful main character in the first season as she served as the viewer, getting introduced to the environment and the cast for the first time. But yeah, she shouldn't be getting any more screen time over anyone else now. It works best as an ensemble piece.

Oz did this in the best way by killing off the person you thought would be one of the principal characters at the end of the first episode. He served his purpose and was thus resolved.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oz did this in the best way by killing off the person you thought would be one of the principal characters at the end of the first episode. He served his purpose and was thus resolved.

Buffy did that first, with Jesse (both shows started in 1997, but Buffy in March and Oz in July)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

Buffy did that first, with Jesse (both shows started in 1997, but Buffy in March and Oz in July)

I mean, I love talking about Buffy and probably shoehorn it into more conversations than I should, but I believe the context here was prison dramas. I'm sure asstons of shows have killed off a character in the first episode for dramatic narrative reasons.

edit: You know what show I love taking about more than Buffy? Dawson's Creek. Dawson's Creek is loving great. I mean yes, it has all the cringeworthy teen romance and humor bullshit that you would expect from a show like that. But it's also loving genius.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 5, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Spoiler tagging 19 year old shows makes you look like a lunatic

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

But there's not really a downside to it? Like "oh no, there's a black bar on my screen that hides an event in a critically acclaimed drama that not everyone has seen! so inconvenient!"

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

less laughter posted:

This worked out so well for Glee, too!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
OitNB turning into a musical would probably be pretty great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

less laughter posted:

I do wonder a bit how they'll keep the story running for seven seasons... They already burned through all the content of the book (it's great btw, y'all should read it) in season 1 and 2, and season 3 started showing diminishing returns so to stretch it out for 4 more may prove pretty difficult.

I only read a summary of the book but it looks like another of those "rich white person interacting with the poor" like Kitchen Confidential.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It wouldn't be hard to write Piper (and by extension, Alex) out of the show by having her finish her sentence and leave the prison. Not that it'll happen. Regardless, giving that big a renewal to the person who ran Weeds into the ground for several seasons sounds like a terrible idea.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I only read a summary of the book but it looks like another of those "rich white person interacting with the poor" like Kitchen Confidential.

Yeah, it's why Piper is a horribly insufferable character. Almost every other character is more interesting and more sympathetic. Taystee and Poussey are probably my favorite characters, but I'd still rather see more of Daya and her family than more of Piper and Alex's "sexy lesbian crime scheming" bullshit. Like it's not a super realistic show, but it's like it fluctuates between being a real human drama and being Weeds.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They better get Nicky back or this show can go to hell

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

They better get Nicky back or this show can go to hell

Yeah, I was pretty sad to see her go off to high security or whatever.

Pennsatucky was one character that surprised me with where they went with her.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

less laughter posted:

Snak posted:

But there's not really a downside to it? Like "oh no, there's a black bar on my screen that hides an event in a critically acclaimed drama that not everyone has seen! so inconvenient!"

Exactly. And with Oz being really awesome and in relevance again because of OitNB it's no big deal. If it was a thread about Oz, then no I wouldn't be spoiler tagging because the 'once it's aired it's fair game' thing applies. But this is a general chat thread, and not everyone has seen everything, and taking away surprises from people is a bit lame.

If people started throwing down uncovered spoilers for The Wire in here, I'd be a little pissed because I've still not had time to sit down and get through it all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Exactly. And with Oz being really awesome and in relevance again because of OitNB it's no big deal. If it was a thread about Oz, then no I wouldn't be spoiler tagging because the 'once it's aired it's fair game' thing applies. But this is a general chat thread, and not everyone has seen everything, and taking away surprises from people is a bit lame.

If people started throwing down uncovered spoilers for The Wire in here, I'd be a little pissed because I've still not had time to sit down and get through it all.

Yeah I haven't watched The Wire at all.

And in general, I can't In good conscience not spoiler-tag any show that I'm recommending to people no matter how old it is. Because if I'm recommending it I'm implicitly talking to people who haven't seen it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The only people you should be mad at are yourselves then for wilfully ignoring a show for 13 whole years, it was not like The Wire is some obscure undiscovered gem or something

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

less laughter posted:

The only people you should be mad at are yourselves then for wilfully ignoring a show for 13 whole years, it was not like The Wire is some obscure undiscovered gem or something

drat talk about living up to your username; could you be more of a humorless wanker? You do realize that people can watch a show whenever they want, right?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have been meaning to watch it for years, but my BFF wanted to watch it also, and we are busy watching lots of other shows. It's hard to commit to watching a long, serious show sometimes.

I think that's part of why I like Justified so much. It can be serious/dark/dramatic, but it's got a lot of humor and witty dialogue. The episodes themselves are pretty fast-paced and it's a very aesthetically pleasing show visual. Costuming and sets are just great.

edit: v no need to be hatin'!

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 5, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm pretty sure he's got a habit of making terrible posts, but he's not a recognisable enough poster for me to be certain.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

timp posted:

drat talk about living up to your username; could you be more of a humorless wanker?

My username is a joke from Harry Potter, idiot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

less laughter posted:

I've ignored Harry Potter for over 13 years and now I think it's gonna be at least 13 more

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

less laughter posted:

Oh it is?! Oh my gosh I'm so sorry, I didn't realize that!! In that case I take it back, you're definitely not being insufferable right now.

ANYWAAAYS The People v. OJ Simpson ended up being pretty drat good! Check it out if you're on the fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Snape kills Dumbledore

• Locked thread