Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This show has a great OP, but it also has a really catchy ED, too. I often catch myself humming or whistling out the tune at work all the time nowadays. That 3/4 cadence is strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

with regards to the identity of the killer:

unless the actual murderer has yet to be revealed, the only characters i suspect strongly are mr. yashiro, kayo's mother, and kenya

primarily this is because, before she was killed, mrs. fujinuma stated that she recognized the killer. i don't know that one suspect is inherently more likely to be the killer than another, but unless the murderer is indeed yuuki (or another one of satoru's friends i guess), there's really no one else that i could imagine it being?? i still believe kenya to be a red herring of sorts and while kayo's mother is a lovely, abusive person, i don't know what would lead her to target children other than her own

so once more, mr. yashiro is left as the strongest suspect imo

Zettace posted:

Honestly, I really thought he saved Kayo there but someone was going to die in her place. Mainly the that girl that sits beside him or Hiromi who we got that scene of splitting off from Kayo and Satoru during the day Kayo disappeared. Then those death flags appeared just before the end and...

yeah :(

The Colonel posted:

I just started watching the new episode and god Satoru's mom is the coolest person

she really is

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Why not Kayo's mom's boyfriend? For all that her mother is abusive, the stepdad's response of "Make sure you leave some ice for my drink" while the mother was shoving her bodily into the sink was extremely cold (no pun intended) and offputting. Then there's the fact they saw the need to put him in a scene, and make him that distinctive, but no other character of note has even met him with the possible exception of the teacher.

Also, Kenya might be a red herring, but it feels far too subtle for that. I'd be more inclined to accept the teacher as the red herring, if there really is one.

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

Kytrarewn posted:

Why not Kayo's mom's boyfriend? For all that her mother is abusive, the stepdad's response of "Make sure you leave some ice for my drink" while the mother was shoving her bodily into the sink was extremely cold (no pun intended) and offputting. Then there's the fact they saw the need to put him in a scene, and make him that distinctive, but no other character of note has even met him with the possible exception of the teacher.

Also, Kenya might be a red herring, but it feels far too subtle for that. I'd be more inclined to accept the teacher as the red herring, if there really is one.

subtle Glowing Red eyes that match those of the killer

you do raise a good point about kayo's mom's boyfriend, but i am not sure that mrs. fujinuma has any idea who he is at this juncture

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I think the red-eyes thing is just a visual motif the series is using to show that the protagonist is sensing something fishy, not necessarily "THIS PERSON IS THE CULPRIT 100% BECAUSE NARRATION SAYS SO".

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I think the red-eyes thing is just a visual motif the series is using to show that the protagonist is sensing something fishy, not necessarily "THIS PERSON IS THE CULPRIT 100% BECAUSE NARRATION SAYS SO".

Yeah, a lot of people have had red eyes briefly so far.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

El Burbo posted:

Yeah, a lot of people have had red eyes briefly so far.
Yeah I've seen speculation that it could be a possession style thing. My first thought was "why the hell would they just inject something supernatural into this realistic portrayal of child abuse and-"

Don't worry, I already punched myself in the jaw for that one.

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

AnacondaHL posted:

it almost certainly is

and what it represents -- whether it is that someone is malicious, seems suspicious to satoru, or is plotting anything between birthday parties and murder -- is mostly irrelevant. it is significant because its intention is to have the viewer relate whomever displays the red-eyed trait to the serial killer. it is primarily because this is so readily apparent that i believe it to be something designed explicitly to throw the audience off

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Twiddy posted:

Yeah I've seen speculation that it could be a possession style thing. My first thought was "why the hell would they just inject something supernatural into this realistic portrayal of child abuse and-"

It's easy to forget there's time travel shenanigans going on. :D

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Twiddy posted:

Being a 10 year old is scary.

Also this is my favorite anime about a 29 yo dating a 10 yo.

On the bright side the MC seems to be mentally 10 yo half the time so...

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 1, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pavlov posted:

On the bright side the MC seems to mentally 10 yo half the time so...

That does seem to be an actual thing. The serial murders, Yuuki's arrest, and the arrival of his Revival ability seem to have frozen him in place, mentally. This jump back isn't just a chance for him to undo Kayo and company's deaths - it's a chance for him to start growing up again.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Twiddy posted:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

EP5: The killer is the teacher, isn't it? I think he had a similar hairstyle, they didn't show his face and they both wear glasses

Possible spoilers?
http://imgur.com/a/CuSZV

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Demicol posted:

EP5: The killer is the teacher, isn't it? I think he had a similar hairstyle, they didn't show his face and they both wear glasses

Possible spoilers?
http://imgur.com/a/CuSZV

It's either this, because it's clearly going to be someone we "know" for purposes of plot impact, and the teacher is the only male around the right age we've seen, aside of Kayo's step-dad which it's almost certainly not, or this is a total red herring. But given what happened at the end of the episode, I think it's more likely that you're right.

The weirdest thing about this episode is Airi's mom divorcing her dad for "stealing" a bar of chocolate. Yeah, sure, it's probably result of conflict resulting from him losing his job, but the way it was presented was a tad ridiculous.

What I really want is for Satoru to be up front with his mom when he presumably goes back into the past again, and for them to team up to find the killer.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 4, 2016

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I want a picture of a red eyed Airi slipping a chocolate bar into her Dad's pocket.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol the Last Supper shot.

So that's where the fire in the OP is from...

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Shakugan posted:

The weirdest thing about this episode is Airi's mom divorcing her dad for "stealing" a bar of chocolate. Yeah, sure, it's probably result of conflict resulting from him losing his job, but the way it was presented was a tad ridiculous.

I think its not really about what was stolen, but the fact that he was now labeled as a criminal in a very small society, losing face/credibility.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Am I missing something - Why isn't anyone mentioning the dead (or at least heavily battered and unconscious) child on Hinazuki's living room floor, at the same time as Satoru is searching for the missing Kayo? :confused:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Paperhouse posted:

Am I missing something - Why isn't anyone mentioning the dead (or at least heavily battered and unconscious) child on Hinazuki's living room floor, at the same time as Satoru is searching for the missing Kayo? :confused:

Uh, the boyfriend does mention it, though? I guess mommy went a bit too far, and now they have a little problem on their hands.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Well, I don't think anybody missed it, it just hasn't been mentioned. I suppose it implies that Kayo was indeed killed by her mum or someone, and they either made it look like she was kidnapped immediately, or did so after the other kidnappings started and they realised they could dress it up that way. Or maybe they have something to do with whoever murdered the others.

Speaking of stuff that nobody mentioned, one thing I was wondering about was (EP1) Satoru's mum's stabbing. First of all she gets stabbed in the back, then later when Satoru finds her, the knife's in her front instead. Furthermore, there doesn't appear to be a stab wound in her back anymore. Either that or it's just off-camera and Satoru doesn't mention it. I could just be reading something into nothing, but it was an odd thing I noticed at the time, and I can't help but wonder if it's at all important.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

smenj posted:

Speaking of stuff that nobody mentioned, one thing I was wondering about was (EP1) Satoru's mum's stabbing. First of all she gets stabbed in the back, then later when Satoru finds her, the knife's in her front instead. Furthermore, there doesn't appear to be a stab wound in her back anymore. Either that or it's just off-camera and Satoru doesn't mention it. I could just be reading something into nothing, but it was an odd thing I noticed at the time, and I can't help but wonder if it's at all important.

They just messed up the animation. Probably came back to the scene and went "wouldn't it be cool if he couldn't see what happened first?!" and forgot it made no sense given the angles.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

They just messed up the animation. Probably came back to the scene and went "wouldn't it be cool if he couldn't see what happened first?!" and forgot it made no sense given the angles.

Figured it was either that, or simply that the killer stabbed her a second time off-screen, the other stab wound was just out of shot in the close-up, and Satoru didn't mention it for whatever reason. Ah well, would've been cool if it was some kind of foreshadowing to future time-travel shenanigans or whatever.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

smenj posted:

Figured it was either that, or simply that the killer stabbed her a second time off-screen, the other stab wound was just out of shot in the close-up, and Satoru didn't mention it for whatever reason. Ah well, would've been cool if it was some kind of foreshadowing to future time-travel shenanigans or whatever.

Clearly the killer has the same power that Satoru does, just less developed. So we see the first timeline where she's stabbed in the back, then the killer takes a minor time jump back because Satoru saw his face clearer or walked in while he was still in the room (we don't see it because that timeline got erased, or because they want it to be a reveal later). Then we can culminate in a grand battle where they're both killing each other over and over again while one or the other rewinds time again and again.

I mean, that's not gonna happen because it's just an error someone made along the line, but I'd be down for it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I loving love this adaptation, now I have to go back to the first episode to see if a detail in this episode also appeared there

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Shakugan posted:

I think it's strange too, but I could see a conflict rising from the fact that he could of just let it go and everything (except his pride) would of returned to normal.

I am worried that they dug a big plot hole with the killer knowing Airi's number. It's plausible that she and Sachiko exchanged numbers or the unknown business man just stole her contact info from her workplace.

Fight! For your kite! fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 5, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

TEHJOE posted:

I think it's strange too, but I could see a conflict rising from the fact that he could of just let it go and everything (except his pride) would of returned to normal.

I am worried that they dug a big plot hole with the killer knowing Airi's number. It's plausible that she and Sachiko exchanged numbers or the unknown business man just stole her contact info from her workplace.

They must have exchanged numbers, because the number showed up to her as belonging to Sachiko, which wouldn't happen if it wasn't in her address book already.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress the cliffhangers in this show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress the cliffhangers in this show.

Yeah, this last one legit ruined my day.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I caught up last night and :supaburn: I have to wait a week?!

Seriously, this is probably the best show I've seen in ages and I'm doing everything in my power not to read the manga.

I do think Kenya is seriously involved. He's just weird enough for it to be true. If his mom recognized the killer, I don't think she ever met the boyfriend as far as we know.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Goddamn it

Airi did everything right, she even figured out the message was a trap at the end. She better not be dead or I'll be madsad

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

TEHJOE posted:

i interpreted the show as suggesting that airi and sachiko exhanged numbers at some point

still curious about when or why this happened but i suppose satoru has altered reality, so

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

two for the shoah posted:

i interpreted the show as suggesting that airi and sachiko exhanged numbers at some point

still curious about when or why this happened but i suppose satoru has altered reality, so

Well, it was probably at some point while she was round having dinner. It's not like the anime showed that entire scene.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Satoru's trail of bodies is starting to become a bit ridiculous at this point.

I'm reminded of a line from My Cousin Vinny... "Is there any more poo poo that we can pile onto the top of the outcome of this case".

Also, I'm not at all sure why he thinks he needs to stay out of the police's holding cell when he can zip back in time anyway. Wouldn't it make sense to find out some of what the police have on him in an interrogation, since at this point he can't very well go to any more libraries or whatever?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm reminded of a line from My Cousin Vinny... "Is there any more poo poo that we can pile onto the top of the outcome of this case".

Also, I'm not at all sure why he thinks he needs to stay out of the police's holding cell when he can zip back in time anyway. Wouldn't it make sense to find out some of what the police have on him in an interrogation, since at this point he can't very well go to any more libraries or whatever?

He doesn't have control over his rewinds, and they tend not to prevent bad poo poo happening to him as opposed to everyone else. Not something to rely on if he doesn't have to.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Darth Walrus posted:

He doesn't have control over his rewinds, and they tend not to prevent bad poo poo happening to him as opposed to everyone else. Not something to rely on if he doesn't have to.

I guess it's probably a cultural thing. http://www.economist.com/node/8680941

I wouldn't necessarily want to go visit the police and risk facing the dreaded katsudon either, reading articles like the above.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

I guess it's probably a cultural thing. http://www.economist.com/node/8680941

I wouldn't necessarily want to go visit the police and risk facing the dreaded katsudon either, reading articles like the above.

He should be safe from that since a traditional katsudonning requires a mommy to be very disappointed in you.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
All the other similar cases had the primary suspect convicted despite all of them claiming to be innocent. I don't think the police is going to be very considerate even if they weren't suspicious as heck.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Was that the killer talking to the pizza store manager? Seemed a little too suspicious to be a random person. Actually, I'm pretty sure he's at least the arsonist since the scene makes him way too suspicious.

Edit: Watched the scene again and his name was Nishizono. Did we have a character show up with that name? I'm drawing blanks.

Kytrarewn posted:

Well, Satoru's mom shares the same VA as the death god himself, Detective Conan.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 6, 2016

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Strange Quark posted:

All the other similar cases had the primary suspect convicted despite all of them claiming to be innocent. I don't think the police is going to be very considerate even if they weren't suspicious as heck.
Yeah, if the protag turned himself in this'd have to turn into a Phoenix Wright crossover for anything good to come out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like the mystery so far I hope it'll continue to be interesting.

• Locked thread