Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Thirsty Dog posted:

No-one, least of all me, is pretending the game is above issues. I haven't at any point commented on my own experiences - good or bad - so I'm fairly certain you're just randomly flailing around at people while desperately trying to validate your anger at a videogame.
That was an impersonal you; you (this one is personal) are not at all the first person to spout the view you're coming to. That's legitimately a really loving confusing distinction in English. Though your conclusion is suitably hilarious, and kind of makes it seem like you're doing exactly what you're denying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I understand that - I actually went and confirmed that semantic before posting last night to see if there was any other reasonable explanation. This is the mission after the power reactor mission that I completely slammed up against (the power core mission I also failed twice, but those were more understandable tactical errors. I had bad hit ratings then too but I wrote it off as bad luck.) I have no real subweapons to work with here so the only damage going out is rookie assault rifles and grenades. Especially as the problems mounted, I obsessively set up flank shots, and close range flank shots at that, so my expected rating was, pessimistically, 70%. My actuals kept showing up between 30 and 38%.

Time to re-litigate the fairness of the PRNG.

I predict about 2 weeks of insane flames before a somebody deep dives to verify.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The initial vest is one like in EU where it trades an item slot for more health. After that you will get predator armor, which is proper armor and researching it then buying it will put it onto the entire team. From there you can start making exo suits and the like for more diverging armor choices

There is an Experimental Armor project as well. I have nano vests and predator armor but I'm also like 5 research days from unlocking my first experimental armor so I guess I'll see what that is.

Unfortunately I am also at work so I won't get to run those days to find out until I get home. :(

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The initial vest is one like in EU where it trades an item slot for more health. After that you will get predator armor, which is proper armor and researching it then buying it will put it onto the entire team. From there you can start making exo suits and the like for more diverging armor choices

Nah, I mean the experimental armour and heavy weapon projects, where they cost a core and give you a random thing (I assume from a list of like 7 or 8 things) just like the experimental grenades and ammo projects. I have an Exo suit and predator armour already. Just wondering if they'll be worth it (I really like the gumball machine nature and trying to figure out how to use the results, I think i'm just on the verge of losing constantly)

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Are experimental rounds consumed after a battle or can I keep them forever?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I've gotten :gas: and acid grenades, talon, tracer and dragon bullets, and I know there's an elemental neutralizer underarmor.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If you play through the tutorial, does it hobble you early on like the first game did?

Edit: The first game made you build a power plant RIGHT next to a sat uplink, which is a stupid move. Does 2 do the same thing?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Having Codexes spawn together with other troops in timed missions is such a loving dumb idea. Their weapon disable mechanic makes sure you have to spend a turn reloading, and it drags out an already time-starved mission.

There is one solution though. Bring Rangers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Time to re-litigate the fairness of the PRNG.

I predict about 2 weeks of insane flames before a somebody deep dives to verify.

Yeah I'm expecting what will actually happen is I will get home today after the cache verification replaced some dlls, I will start doing substantially better and having a blast, and we will all bicker about whether or not this confirms my view or the probabilistic one.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I love day 1 meltdowns.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
My first experimental armor was a stasis vest. Adds 2 hitpoints and the description claims it contains a med-kit to automatically heal the wearer when he gets shot, but that hasn't come up yet.

Also, lesson learned: When a Codex dies and the graphic for its psionic swirly disappears, that doesn't mean the attack is cancelled. The explosion will still occur :smith: I thought I was going to be ok. Good thing it's not iron man I guess.

Balbanes
May 21, 2007
44z red pots~

BigRed0427 posted:

If you play through the tutorial, does it hobble you early on like the first game did?

Edit: The first game made you build a power plant RIGHT next to a sat uplink, which is a stupid move. Does 2 do the same thing?

I thought it was the reverse?

Early game gave you a free installation but in a totally unoptimized location.

From what I can tell there isn't a difference in XCOM 2 though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Speaking of acid grenades, they rock hard. 2 acid damage per turns means you can splash baddies with them and then half the time just ignore them while they burn to death, and it doesn't destroy their corpses

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Coolguye posted:

Patrols only spot you if they both have you in a conceal tile and are flanking you. So sure, you can bunker and hope they walk by. The timed missions seem pretty tight, though, so that might not be much of an option, depending.
Again, I am barely into the start of the game, but I really haven't had problems with the timed missions so far. They tell you exactly where the thing is, so it's not like XCOM where I'm spending six turns blundering around hoping I'm heading in the right direction. So far I tend to be setting up my ambushes with about 8 turns left on the timer, and the only time I've run close so far was on a mission where I didn't understand that they wanted me to shoot the thing, not click it, so I only sent one person.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Coolguye posted:

That was an impersonal you; you (this one is personal) are not at all the first person to spout the view you're coming to. That's legitimately a really loving confusing distinction in English. Though your conclusion is suitably hilarious, and kind of makes it seem like you're doing exactly what you're denying.

This gets worse every time you post just FYI. "Impersonal you" after starting your post with "How would you know?" and then ranting at me :allears:

My experience so far with XCOM2 has been dicking around with the character creator for 30 minutes before I went to bed. But I do have plenty of experience with confirmation bias and the concept of sample sizes. And with people getting mad on the internet.

Enjoy your magically fixed game!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DreamShipWrecked posted:

And even then they retconned the first game's whole story into (start of game spoiler) "it was just a simulation" so plot isn't an issue.

I thought the war did happen, just that at some point you got captured (maybe just prior to the Temple Ship, or maybe even after) and from them on were plugged into their network?

Kenshin posted:

Getting the Advanced Warfare Center early rules because of the crazy bonuses you can get. Already have a concealment medic, a guardian sniper (who is levels up high enough that she also has killzone), and a cannon grenadier who has what I think is a high-level sniper ability? If he kills an enemy using the ability he gets his action points back. I'll have to look at it when I get home from work.

I rushed it, too. I now have a sniper week literally never loses Conceal, he's goddamn amazing. I wish I had taken him Gunslinger instead.

Speaking of, if you retrain a soldier, will they get the bonus abilities at every level even if they were promoted before you had the lab? Will their bonus abilities also get rerolled?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I'm going to just pretend overwatch doesn't exist for a while; overwatched a sectoid, already engaged, in half cover, he runs across to full cover, nobody fires.

Also I just missed eight 50% shots and higher in a row. I feel home now. :v:

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

One railroaded 'intro' mission and then some light, directed missions (2) and then it'll open up as normal with a bit more direction, so far. Seems fine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The XCOM 2 tutorial makes you get two guys killed, gives you a free ranger, and requires you to research Alien Biotech at a massively reduced timer of 0 days.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Psykmoe posted:

My first experimental armor was a stasis vest. Adds 2 hitpoints and the description claims it contains a med-kit to automatically heal the wearer when he gets shot, but that hasn't come up yet.

Also, lesson learned: When a Codex dies and the graphic for its psionic swirly disappears, that doesn't mean the attack is cancelled. The explosion will still occur :smith: I thought I was going to be ok. Good thing it's not iron man I guess.

That's pretty sweet, thanks for the example. Definitely will make armour my next proving grounds project. Got a bunch of nice grenade types already that have saved my rear end a lot.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BigRed0427 posted:

It doesn't, and adjacency doesn't count for anything this time I think.

The tutorial mission will have you send half your squad to their easily preventable deaths, but it wouldn't be an XCOM tutorial mission if it didn't.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Treading over extremely old ground but how do the hit/hack/etc. percentages work?
It's clear some info is being kept between saves with actions failing or succeeding when save scumming.

Is there a good primer for this somewhere?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

How long can I put off "important" missions before they fail and what are actually important missions because it acts like every drat mission is an important mission and I just some time to get my poo poo together.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fuzz posted:

I thought the war did happen, just that at some point you got captured (maybe just prior to the Temple Ship, or maybe even after) and from them on were plugged into their network?

I think the Commander got captured during the base assault, yeah

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fuzz posted:

The archives in your quarters are obnoxiously incomplete, but it seems like the war lasted about three months from "XCOM activated" to "world surrenders". I choose to believe you lose at the base invasion, because there's some flashes of Command getting breached and when else would they be able to actually get you?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think the Commander got captured during the base assault, yeah

I like the implication that you just replayed XCOM: Enemy Unknown in your head for twenty years for the aliens.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way to get Phantom rangers to attack with the rest of the team when you break concealment?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the implication that you just replayed XCOM: Enemy Unknown in your head for twenty years for the aliens.

Isn't that what everyone did? :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I wish silencers were a thing in this game. It would be really cool to be able to use some real guerrilla tactics like ambush that actually matter instead of giving one of your soldiers a bonus when they shoot.

They way I could see it working is that you regain concealment if you kill all the aliens in a pod the turn you activate them with silenced weapons only.

Silencers/night vision/night maps are something I've really wanted for a long time - but hey, mods!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
Has someone managed to properly activate the 7th and 8th squad selection slots, which you can turn on in the DefaultUI.ini ??

They show up and you get a nice little scroll bar in the hangar when picking your soldiers, but they don't react to mouse clicks and just flicker.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

RBA Starblade posted:

With the networked sim-sharing thing they mention, it even kinda reminds one of the entire EU-playing community.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

This gets worse every time you post just FYI. "Impersonal you" after starting your post with "How would you know?" and then ranting at me :allears:
Uh okay? You're really interested in taking offense here. I am annoyed that the game, not at you or anyone else, I thought I had made that pretty clear but whatever dude.

If you know something about sample sizes though you know that half expected performance after 60-odd trials typically constitutes a look into a system so I dunno why you're even jumping down my throat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The miss chance on the sword is crazy, i think I have missed more than landing hits. When I get run and gun, my assualts will pretty much be flanking. They also get run and gun kinda down the tree, I've been switching all mine to rifles because shotgun really need run and gun to work with the shotgun.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CapnAndy posted:

The archives in your quarters are obnoxiously incomplete, but it seems like the war lasted about three months from "XCOM activated" to "world surrenders". I choose to believe you lose at the base invasion, because there's some flashes of Command getting breached and when else would they be able to actually get you?

Yeah that's what I figured.

They completely retconned out EW, though. I had just assumed ADVENT had something to do with EXALT, but nope!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

How long can I put off "important" missions before they fail and what are actually important missions because it acts like every drat mission is an important mission and I just some time to get my poo poo together.

You can do whatever you want until that big red meter in the top center of the screen fills up and counts to zero. You may want to be sure to do retaliations since it probably has a big negative and the big red facilities will drain the doom meter, but everything else is up to your discretion.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Treading over extremely old ground but how do the hit/hack/etc. percentages work?
It's clear some info is being kept between saves with actions failing or succeeding when save scumming.

Is there a good primer for this somewhere?

The way it worked in EU (and presumably the way it works here) is that the RNG seed is saved with the game and changes after every action. So if you reload and do the same action twice, you'll get the same result. But if you do a different action and then revisit the previous action, you'll get a different result.

So you'll always miss a shot that you missed, but if you move someone unrelated and then go back and take the shot again you might hit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh, jeeze, I really under-valued Workshops. I think I'll start building those earlier, if not first. It lets you turn one engineer into two, or three if you've got the spare supplies. You can only staff adjacent buildings but the Gremlins can fill any engineer slot, even rubble clearing.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

You can do whatever you want until that big red meter in the top center of the screen fills up and counts to zero. You may want to be sure to do retaliations since it probably has a big negative and the big red facilities will drain the doom meter, but everything else is up to your discretion.

Seriously? So that big omg you are all gonna die if you don't do this lovely mission is lying?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Uh okay? You're really interested in taking offense here. I am annoyed that the game, not at you or anyone else, I thought I had made that pretty clear but whatever dude.

If you know something about sample sizes though you know that half expected performance after 60-odd trials typically constitutes a look into a system so I dunno why you're even jumping down my throat.

You (you) are the one taking offense and personally I've quit reading your posts because you sound like a crazy person today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Why do my custom soldiers never promote into the class I specified?