Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Play XCOM with a mouse, like God intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Bhodi posted:

there were people in here buying VPNs to kangaroo island just so they could unlock and play x-com last night

i assume most people outside the US already have a vpn though, i just switched the drop-down menu to "australia"

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

Also real piracy still going quite strong

is it though? you dont hear as much about as you did a couple of years ago

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

gently caress playing xcom with a mouse, it's got tile-based movement

it's legit easier and faster to play with a controller, it's designed that way. gaben just gave them a dump truck of money for his lovely side project

Apr 7, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

gently caress playing xcom with a mouse, it's got tile-based movement

it's legit easier and faster to play with a controller, it's designed that way. gaben just gave them a dump truck of money for his lovely side project

No, it isn't designed to be played with a controller. It's a strategy game. You're supposed to play it with a mouse.

Civilization is tile-based too, and no one is stupid enough to say you should play it with a controller.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
civ plays fine with a controller from the comfort of your coch

Apr 7, 2003

Hitting your dick with a hammer works fine to get some people off, but that's not how you're supposed to use it either.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I want someone here to stream xcom 2, I'm legit too old to handle the conventions of modern streaming

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
what, you don't want to watch someone overreact to every hit with an overlay of their torso taking up a third of the screen and every time someone donates or subscribes a big animation splashes across the gameplay?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

that's some low-effort trolling, tori.

maybe somebody will mod it in, idk. also marissa didn't fire me so that's cool but the editor is in "meetings" all day

Apr 7, 2003

You're trying to half-rear end playing a mouse-based game with a controller but you're calling me a troll. Lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hitting your dick with a hammer works fine to get some people off, but that's not how you're supposed to use it either.

wrong

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Playing any game other than a racing game or platform gabe with a controller makes you an auto-scrub. Sorry

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Citizen Tayne posted:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

literally designed for use with a controller. couch gaming supremacy

either way it's some massive bullshit that they're still trying to make the steam controller happen. remember when there was any optimism for steam machines, wasn't that weird

is steamOS out of beta yet

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

steamOS is at best one tenth of one percent of their install base, it's not even broken out separately in the survey

Apr 7, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

either way it's some massive bullshit that they're still trying to make the steam controller happen. remember when there was any optimism for steam machines, wasn't that weird

XCOM is designed to be played with a mouse, not a controller.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

its adam and eve not adam and steve!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

that's not true, I remember being pissed about how often the mouse would fuckup in xcom, particularly when you had to do anything involving different levels of height. I seem to also remember some parts of the ui occasionally just not reacting all the time at launch

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I'm glad they removed controller support for xcom 2 cuz that poo poo won't happen now but lol forever at steam controller

Apr 7, 2003

Al! posted:

that's not true, I remember being pissed about how often the mouse would fuckup in xcom, particularly when you had to do anything involving different levels of height. I seem to also remember some parts of the ui occasionally just not reacting all the time at launch

The interface was clearly intended to be used with a mouse, bugs don't affect that.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Blackula69 posted:

Steamos was dumb anyway unless you're using it as a diy steam link

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Al! posted:

I'm glad they removed controller support for xcom 2 cuz that poo poo won't happen now but lol forever at steam controller
i'm bummed about that, couch gaming supremacy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I couch game all the time with my gaming laptop lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Al! posted:

my gaming laptop
ban this sick filth

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I couch game all the time with my gaming pc using steam in home streaming to my retina macbook and a steam controller

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Al! posted:

i'm playing it now, everything works perfectly

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I seem to remember mouse control being really finicky in the new xcom

like if your cursor was 1 pixel away from a waist high wall your dude would run up to it but not crouch behind it. the game pad mode didn't have that problem

Apr 7, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

like if your cursor was 1 pixel away from a waist high wall your dude would run up to it but not crouch behind it. the game pad mode didn't have that problem

If you don't click on a thing, the effect associated with clicking on that thing doesn't happen? You don't say

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

i'm playing it now, everything works perfectly

yeah they fixed it all now, but out of the box it was clear that all their ui design and config revolved around using the gamepad

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by auto-aim

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you don't click on a thing, the effect associated with clicking on that thing doesn't happen? You don't say

it was dumb because the map is tile based but the tile wasn't one big click region

Apr 7, 2003

Al! posted:

yeah they fixed it all now, but out of the box it was clear that all their ui design and config revolved around using the gamepad

I bought it on release day and that's a big negative. It was clearly mouse centric from the start.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

it was dumb because the map is tile based but the tile wasn't one big click region

What's dumb is expecting your guy to crouch behind the wall when you don't click on the wall.

Apr 7, 2003

Hello, Honda? I shoved my car key into the air vent and twisted it and my car didn't start. The gently caress is going on?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

the problem is that people try to click the thing they want to hide behind, not the actual floor tile where they want the soldier to stand. clicking the wall instead would place the soldier on the other side because you're actually clicking one unit 'up' from where you really want to be.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

I bought it on release day and that's a big negative. It was clearly mouse centric from the start.

What's dumb is expecting your guy to crouch behind the wall when you don't click on the wall.

is there ever a reason to not crouch? and it could be forgiven if the click region to crouch wasn't pixel accurate

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this can't possibly be a argument we are having Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

is there ever a reason to not crouch? and it could be forgiven if the click region to crouch wasn't pixel accurate

Who knows, why should the game autocrouch you if it's clear that you didn't want to crouch because you didn't click in the crouch area though?

• Locked thread