Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Are y'all listening to a different tape? this poo poo is fye fye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
seriously though the gucci mane throwaway frankentapes have better mix and master jobs than a lot of this bs future and thug are putting out this year. i know it's a free tape but ffs they need to stop skimping on the sound engineering dept so drat much. maybe sell off some of that actavis stock to cover the costs...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

The Polish Pirate posted:

Is there a good book that talks about the genesis and rise of hip-hop? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to pre-90s rap and want to know more.

Once you get past the pre-90s era, Jay-Z's book "Decoded" is mostly about him obviously but there is lots of interesting stuff about the rise of the New York/East Coast rap scene in the mid 90s (which imo is when rap started to really come into its own as a genre and has so far been the most interesting era of rap music - not New York specifically, just the 90s).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm of the opinion there really isn't much if anything to skip in Slime Season 1+2 but gently caress cancer

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=174aXPJ5RTs
:magical::gurf:

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
AK47 from underachievers with some of that GOOD STUFF https://soundcloud.com/theunderachievers-3/akthesavior-these-days-prod-by-powers-pleasant-ignorvnce

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

It's like way too good and gets better the more you listen. I'm not really sure I think they're loving him around. Shame because he should be huge

I'm listening to this for the first time and it's really good. The track with Migos is somethin else

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I support Young Thug.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Having listened to it a couple times now, I'm Up is real good. Woulda been better without Bread Winners

Missed cover art opportunity tho

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

thathonkey posted:

seriously though the gucci mane throwaway frankentapes have better mix and master jobs than a lot of this bs future and thug are putting out this year. i know it's a free tape but ffs they need to stop skimping on the sound engineering dept so drat much. maybe sell off some of that actavis stock to cover the costs...

Mastering seems fine on I'm up? Future's definitely released a ton of really shittily mastered stuff, but thug hasn't other than leaks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Holy poo poo.

Gates sold 112k, and almost outsold Adele.

How the gently caress did he do that with no top singles jesus.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 5, 2016

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The Southern Strategy

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Gates sold 112k? Holy smokes

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dexo posted:

Holy poo poo.

How the gently caress did he do that with no top singles jesus.

From what I've always understood, Gates is actually super-big in the south. Almost pre-lockup Boosie levels of support. I also think his singles got a decent amount of play, even if no individual one was a super hit.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
One of the cool things about Kevin Gates is his raps are very good in a backpacker kinda way (he uses 'big' words and consistently rhymes different words instead of forcing words to rhyme) but it never comes off as try-hard. I love thug but you can tell he doesn't sit down and refine his raps much and it shows sometimes, so I think Islah is easily better than I'm Up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Guccis sound team are absolute legends and the fact they can throw together so many cohesive tapes while the guy sits in jail is a testament to their skills.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dexo posted:

Holy poo poo.

good. i have not stopped listening to it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Listened to Gates on the way home in the car. So good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also when I wake up tomorrow there'll be a new future album out :allears::allears::allears:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
a local artist/friend of mine here almost sold a song to kevin gates they were looking for stuff for his new album. too bad it didn't happen :( would have been cool as poo poo to hear.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
DJ Khaled on Beats Radio is amazing and hilarious. Starts off strong with the Flex bomb and has been using that and his SPECIAL CLOTH ALERT drops non-stop for the last 20 minutes.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Kevin Gates is one of my favourites, just wish some of his lyrics were toned down.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Xanny Family from his new album is so tight. Hope this song blows up so I can play it in clubs and poo poo.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

Kevin Gates is one of my favourites, just wish some of his lyrics were toned down.

thats what makes gates so great. how many rappers you know that rap about true love and eating rear end and being a vampire all on the same tape?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
evol is out, and 2 tracks in it's loving awesome

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
GOD drat this first track is DARK as gently caress

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

heads up, evol is extremely hot

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
EVOL is so so so good

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
this cut of low life seems way better

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

heads up, evol is extremely hot

yahhhhhhhhh

liking it way more than Purple Reign so far.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
drat after WATTBA and when I didn't end up listening to Purple Reign much I thought he was falling off but this is going to be on rotation for a while I think.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I liked a lot of Purple Reign. But What a time was poo poo save for 3 or 4 tracks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think WATTba was his best since Monster 🙊 short and sweet

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

poo poo I forgot 56 nights. Back to sleep

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

evol is real good

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sad Future best Future

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Having now listened to I'm Up all loving day, it is loving fire. All those Wheezy beats are insane. I am gonna have a heart attack when I put on EVOL in like 60 seconds from now, I'm pretty sure.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
You guys weren't wrong about I'm Up needing a proper mastering. Man, the album (sans Hercules) sounds flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Besson posted:

You guys weren't wrong about I'm Up needing a proper mastering. Man, the album (sans Hercules) sounds flat.

I'm up is mastered really well. You may be thinking of all recent Future releases instead. :confused: