Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

For what it's worth, I was able to ally France and Austria with the Ottomans rivalled without having a med port.
Huh, good to know, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Node posted:

gently caress that, EU4 should. I believe in you Johan.

Considering CK2's map was a side project of one of the devs, as I recall, this shouldn't be a problem.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bort Bortles posted:

Huh, good to know, thank you!

I'm pretty sure it was later on than you in that screenshot, but yeah, common rivals goes a long way towards countries being willing to ally you I guess.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was later on than you in that screenshot, but yeah, common rivals goes a long way towards countries being willing to ally you I guess.
Cool! I'm still getting used to being stuck with my stupidity in Ironman so I sill see how it goes. I have already improved relations with everyone that has them as a rival so I will go ahead and take a dive and rival them, then focus on expanding elsewhere.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think that makes the only war that America and Sweden have fought together in.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

jsoh posted:

i think its really dumb and bad that its impossible for me to threaten war against norway or denmark to get one of norways provinces while they are in union under denmark

I thought they fixed that in the latest patch?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fister Roboto posted:

I think that makes the only war that America and Sweden have fought together in.

Sweden contributed troops to the coalition in Afghanistan, if that counts.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pakled posted:

They also helped out with the bombing of Libya in 2011!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This may be confirmation bias, but I've had a suspicion for a few patches that the siege progress % displayed is misleading or miscalculated somehow?

It just seems to me the actual chance of ending a siege is lower than displayed, with sieges being at say 28% progress and two years later it'll be 49% and you're like what the hell why isn't this over??

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pakled posted:

PleasingFungus posted:

They also helped out with the bombing of Libya in 2011!

Thanks Sweden!

:911: :hf: :sweden:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

This may be confirmation bias, but I've had a suspicion for a few patches that the siege progress % displayed is misleading or miscalculated somehow?

It just seems to me the actual chance of ending a siege is lower than displayed, with sieges being at say 28% progress and two years later it'll be 49% and you're like what the hell why isn't this over??

It's not a progress that linearly increases. The percentage shown is the chance that the siege will end on the next tick, ie. the odds of your roll and modifiers exceeding whatever the base number to win a siege is (20? It says it in the siege screen). So as ever, if you roll lovely, or especially if you run out of modifiers to earn (of which the biggest is the siege progress to 12/14) against high level forts, you can be sitting there a long time. It's why Defensiveness and Siege Ability are so insanely powerful.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am doing Mzab -> Algeria game for Third Way and then Paradox announces buffs for the Berber tags!

Wonder if I should wait and hope it carries over for the expansion, then again I've already beaten the Ottos (thanks France and MegaMuscowy) so I might as well finish this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This could be just me forgetting my key shortcuts, but was the ability to mass select ships only removed? I thought it used to be alt-click, but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Ir's control, not alt.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tahirovic posted:

I am doing Mzab -> Algeria game for Third Way and then Paradox announces buffs for the Berber tags!

Wonder if I should wait and hope it carries over for the expansion, then again I've already beaten the Ottos (thanks France and MegaMuscowy) so I might as well finish this.
I would finish your run - the patch that buffs the berber states is likely months away and also likely to break saves, based simply on teh fact that major expansions tend to break saves in some way or another.

Care to fill us in on how you got a Mzab run going? I just started achievement hunting.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Somehow I have played twice in a row where Aragon allies with Austria, declares war on me as Castille and stomps me in like 2 years.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The next patch will add provinces which will 100% break saves. So go hog wild with whatever you're working on now.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Somehow I have played twice in a row where Aragon allies with Austria, declares war on me as Castille and stomps me in like 2 years.

If my Castille attempts last week are any indication, Aragon currently does one of two things: either hates your guts, allies with Portugal to slow down your catch and release, and never fires the Iberian Wedding, or immediately faceplants in a war against France, loses the northern half of their country, possibly loses the PU with Naples, then fires the Iberian Wedding as a rump state after you get Isabel just in time for the Castilian Civil War disaster to happen.

I'm playing Genoa instead.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I've played maybe a dozen Austria games in the past week and not once has the Burgundian thing fired.

Then I play a game as Navarra for shits and Giggles and it fires for AI Austria in the second year.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FadingChord posted:

If my Castille attempts last week are any indication, Aragon currently does one of two things: either hates your guts, allies with Portugal to slow down your catch and release, and never fires the Iberian Wedding, or immediately faceplants in a war against France, loses the northern half of their country, possibly loses the PU with Naples, then fires the Iberian Wedding as a rump state after you get Isabel just in time for the Castilian Civil War disaster to happen.

I have to lean to be patient with this game because I had a game where I conquered Portugal had hit my force limit was trying to annex Aragorn and then said, let's start a war with France.

It did not end well.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Bort Bortles posted:

I would finish your run - the patch that buffs the berber states is likely months away and also likely to break saves, based simply on teh fact that major expansions tend to break saves in some way or another.

Care to fill us in on how you got a Mzab run going? I just started achievement hunting.

Mzab and Oman are the only two countries I found that start as Ibadi and be used for The Third Way, and I found Mzab the more interesting choice, allowing me to do Barbarosa as a second achievement.

It is one of the utter bullshit starts that rely on starting rivalries and AI wars. I am not sure which possible rival combinations work, the only start that worked for me was where both Tlemencen and Mamlukes rivaled Tunis and Tunis didn't get an alliance with the Ottomans. Next to this Touggourt and Djerid need to stay ally less. Once you get a start like that, make a copy of the savegame.

Ally Tlemencen and Djerid
Rival Touggourt
Take the mission to conquer a province from them and forge a claim on the other two
Use the spare diplomat to suck up to Tlemencen.
Conquer Touggourt, Djerid will always join the war if you promise territory (you don't give them any) at times Tlemencen will join without promises.
Djerid will be pissed and break the alliance, vassalize them.

And this is where you depend on the AI, you can only attack Tunisia if the Mamluks already vassalized Fezzan and like you enough for an alliance. If you get to the point where Tlemencen and the Mamluks will join a war against Tunisia you won.
After the second war with Tunisia you can break the alliance with the mamluks, rival them and ally the Ottos instead, this will stop the Iberians from attacking you once you conquered Tlemencen with the help of Morocco.

Religious Ideas as a Ibadi Theocracy are really amazing and the campaign is a lot of fun, if you ever manage to get past the first 30-40 years.
Edit: Religious/Exploration were my idea sets of choice, the order depends on your rulers. Exploration gives you access to cheap African production goodies.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 5, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have to lean to be patient with this game because I had a game where I conquered Portugal had hit my force limit was trying to annex Aragorn and then said, let's start a war with France.

It did not end well.

The one thing I learned the first time I played (as Castille->Spain): never start a war with France.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does anything else think 50% loyalty is way too low for tariff cutoff, especially with the Admin efficiency malus that you can't do anything about?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the idea is that colonies are a great source of income early on, but as time advances they get more and more difficult to manage and ultimately you'd be better off just ditching them before they inevitably declare a war for independence. The low tariff cutoff means that you can't just ignore them until they hit 100% - you've got to offer concessions to keep them happy if you want them to be profitable.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The one thing I learned the first time I played (as Castille->Spain): never start a war with France.

I have a hunch that if the HYW starts going England's way (which I've seen a couple times in the current configuration) then an aggressive Castille with Aragon and Naples (and probably Austria, maybe Portugal) could probably tear off the Occitan cores pretty early in the game.

On the other hand you can also team up with France by fabricating claims on the Aquitaine provinces (or going to war on behalf of Navarre) and using that war to turn Wales/Cornwall/Northumberland into a Britain-sized march. I haven't gotten too far that way but I feel like playing a Spain game with vassals in Portugal and Great Britain could help you colonize the world pretty quickly.

But yeah the safe way to play Castille/Spain is to suck up to France and basically do whatever they want to do for the entire game. With a bit of luck you can use that to help you get into Italy.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
You should always jump in against France if Burgundy is at war with France. Burgundy is a loving brute lately and likely can manhandle France on their own.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tahirovic posted:

Mzab and Oman are the only two countries I found that start as Ibadi and be used for The Third Way, and I found Mzab the more interesting choice, allowing me to do Barbarosa as a second achievement.

It is one of the utter bullshit starts that rely on starting rivalries and AI wars. I am not sure which possible rival combinations work, the only start that worked for me was where both Tlemencen and Mamlukes rivaled Tunis and Tunis didn't get an alliance with the Ottomans. Next to this Touggourt and Djerid need to stay ally less. Once you get a start like that, make a copy of the savegame.

Ally Tlemencen and Djerid
Rival Touggourt
Take the mission to conquer a province from them and forge a claim on the other two
Use the spare diplomat to suck up to Tlemencen.
Conquer Touggourt, Djerid will always join the war if you promise territory (you don't give them any) at times Tlemencen will join without promises.
Djerid will be pissed and break the alliance, vassalize them.

And this is where you depend on the AI, you can only attack Tunisia if the Mamluks already vassalized Fezzan and like you enough for an alliance. If you get to the point where Tlemencen and the Mamluks will join a war against Tunisia you won.
After the second war with Tunisia you can break the alliance with the mamluks, rival them and ally the Ottos instead, this will stop the Iberians from attacking you once you conquered Tlemencen with the help of Morocco.

Religious Ideas as a Ibadi Theocracy are really amazing and the campaign is a lot of fun, if you ever manage to get past the first 30-40 years.
Edit: Religious/Exploration were my idea sets of choice, the order depends on your rulers. Exploration gives you access to cheap African production goodies.
Cool, thanks! I think there is an East African state that is Ibadi as well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Does anything else think 50% loyalty is way too low for tariff cutoff, especially with the Admin efficiency malus that you can't do anything about?

Tariffs are garbage anyway, and you don't want to be raising them, since you get free MP from events where you don't raise them, and keeping them on the floor keeps your CNs super docile. What you really want from your CNs is the trade power.

YouTuber posted:

You should always jump in against France if Burgundy is at war with France. Burgundy is a loving brute lately and likely can manhandle France on their own.

Not by itself probably, but I see AI Burgundy and Castile teaming up to clown France a lot in my games. If Burgundy and Castile are allied and Castile gets the Iberian wedding, that's pretty much game over for AI France.

Bort Bortles posted:

Cool, thanks! I think there is an East African state that is Ibadi as well.

Not at game start, so you can't get the achievement from there. But Kilwa has an event that allows them to convert to Shia or Ibadi, or remain Sunni.

e: Oh yeah, I forgot about Pate.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 5, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
No game access atm but I believe that East African OPM Pate is Ibadi in 1444. Good luck!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

FadingChord posted:

In all the games I've played of EUIV Castile/Spain seems to underperform the vast majority of the time. Which may just be confirmation bias at this point, but...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RabidWeasel posted:

No game access atm but I believe that East African OPM Pate is Ibadi in 1444. Good luck!

yep.

I'm very slowly churning through an oman run, myself. 250 provinces to go. thank goodness for european countries conquering & converting provinces for me...

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Tariffs are garbage anyway, and you don't want to be raising them, since you get free MP from events where you don't raise them, and keeping them on the floor keeps your CNs super docile. What you really want from your CNs is the trade power.

PS dear Johan remove the tarrif adviser form the game. And the Colonial range guy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baron Porkface posted:

PS dear Johan remove the tarrif adviser form the game. And the Colonial range guy.
The Colonial Range guy can be useful in rare cases. But yeah.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I like Colonial Range guy, but yeah maybe have him stop showing up after 1650 or something.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tariffs really should be reworked into something profitable. They are really garbo at the moment.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Colonial Range guy is good in a game where that matters after you drop your first colony. It's just that that game is EU3.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Colonial range guy is amazing for all the times you're missing a few units of length and you need several diplo techs for the next +range.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Colonial range guy has given me just the reach I needed to start my colonial empire in several games. He's the best.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I really enjoy the +10% Stability Cost, +10% Naval Morale and +1 yearly Prestige advisers, too.

But yeah tariffs are a really weak form of income and totally not worth the tradeoff of increasing Liberty Desire in your colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Maybe he should also give settler growth or tarriffs or colonist chance or something as well.

It's a bit like spy offense guy.

• Locked thread