Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
you can play a korean girl in a mech in overwatch so half of the TF2 playerbase is already sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ahundredbux posted:

you can play a korean girl in a mech in overwatch so half of the TF2 playerbase is already sold

Hell, Im sold

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

BillmasterCozb posted:

*TF2 theme intensifies*

I mean, other than that it looks rad as hell

The key difference for me at this point is that Blizzard seems to actually care that their TF2 game exists. Also, no random crits.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Eonwe posted:

Hell, Im sold

tbf I saw some video of someone playing her and it looked very good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Her damage is actually very bad.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

IronicDongz posted:

Her damage is actually very bad.

trash game pre-order cancelled

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Overwatch has way more waifus than TF2 therefore it is objectively superior. I mean, Ms. Pauling is pretty high tier I'll grant you that but you can't even play as her!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Starbound should add in a class-based point capture minigame. Or maybe you could design your own payload maps with minecart tracks! It'd be the perfect next feature for the game! Tiy, I've got a million of these ideas bro. Capture the Alpaca?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Aren't overwatch and battleborn coming out a month from each other? Two "completely original, genre defying" games that are the same poo poo

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

nerdz posted:

Aren't overwatch and battleborn coming out a month from each other? Two "completely original, genre defying" games that are the same poo poo

They're reasonably different. Battleborn leans much heavier on the moba side than Overwatch does since creep waves exist and need to be dealth with and you win the round by killing some big PvE thing, I think. I dunno I don't keep up with Battleborn since Gearbox is a shithouse.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I read a bit of the recent discussion about how "bosses" in a "creative sandbox" game are supposed to work and the responses as such but one thing nobody's really giving credit to is the fact that "creative sandbox game with RPG elements" is not actually well-known, tried-and-true, been-through-the-paces genre. The idea of a boss fight in a creative sandbox that allows RPG mechanics, I dare say, started with Terraria. There is no "right" answer to this "problem" because different people find different ways to make the situation fun and they may fundamentally disagree with others as to how it should work. Creating an arena or going in Dark Souls style can both be fun or horribly boring, depending on the player. Terraria went one way with it, Starbound originally copied that way, then Starbound went another way with it. There's nothing to really poo poo on here, it's just different. Without a rich history of genre to precede it, there's no way of knowing what the correct method of implementation is.

Also, both Overwatch and Battleborn are terrible. I've played them both and got bored of them both within an hour. If I wanted repetitive first/third person shooting/ability action, I'd play TF2 and Smite.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

I read a bit of the recent discussion about how "bosses" in a "creative sandbox" game are supposed to work and the responses as such but one thing nobody's really giving credit to is the fact that "creative sandbox game with RPG elements" is not actually well-known, tried-and-true, been-through-the-paces genre. The idea of a boss fight in a creative sandbox that allows RPG mechanics, I dare say, started with Terraria. There is no "right" answer to this "problem" because different people find different ways to make the situation fun and they may fundamentally disagree with others as to how it should work. Creating an arena or going in Dark Souls style can both be fun or horribly boring, depending on the player. Terraria went one way with it, Starbound originally copied that way, then Starbound went another way with it. There's nothing to really poo poo on here, it's just different. Without a rich history of genre to precede it, there's no way of knowing what the correct method of implementation is.

Also, both Overwatch and Battleborn are terrible. I've played them both and got bored of them both within an hour. If I wanted repetitive first/third person shooting/ability action, I'd play TF2 and Smite.

Yeah, to be honest, there are too many variables here. Bosses like plantera in Terraria are borderline impossible to deal with without building an arena, and other bosses had actual pre built arenas, like the golem and queen bee, with small variations but mostly doable and balanced around the terrain. I gotta say I'm in the no building arenas camp, but balancing a boss around dynamic terrain would make it too easy. Pre-made arenas are the best way to have a controlled boss challenge. Also nothing stops them from adding random optional boss triggers in the world, which would be pretty cool.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

nerdz posted:

Yeah, to be honest, there are too many variables here. Bosses like plantera in Terraria are borderline impossible to deal with without building an arena, and other bosses had actual pre built arenas, like the golem and queen bee, with small variations but mostly doable and balanced around the terrain. I gotta say I'm in the no building arenas camp, but balancing a boss around dynamic terrain would make it too easy. Pre-made arenas are the best way to have a controlled boss challenge. Also nothing stops them from adding random optional boss triggers in the world, which would be pretty cool.
To be honest, I'm a fan of variety. Having both required and optional bosses, which give different types of important materials ("required" giving central upgrade mats, "optional" giving tertiary power-up mats,) be in both pre-determined dungeons and user-constructed arenas, seems like the best way to tackle this. Mind you, when I say "required" I don't necessarily mean you are "required" to fight that boss but rather the boss drops a material "required" to continue progression. If you could obtain that material some other way, you can make all bosses optional and go the route Starbound is trying to go; allowing different playstyles while rewarding similar progression. In the end, you're giving people variety and choice without locking down the need to get good at fighting.

That's the silliest part, really. Why are there required dungeons when you're giving people the ability to be farmers as a way of beating the game? If you do that, you should let the player power up beyond the dungeon's difficulty in order to overcome it with ease. Unfortunately, as is, the dungeons are required to beat in order to gain the power to make the dungeon trivial. It's just a bit backwards and I'm kinda hoping Chucklefish notices where they went wrong there.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

DaveKap posted:

To be honest, I'm a fan of variety. Having both required and optional bosses, which give different types of important materials ("required" giving central upgrade mats, "optional" giving tertiary power-up mats,) be in both pre-determined dungeons and user-constructed arenas, seems like the best way to tackle this. Mind you, when I say "required" I don't necessarily mean you are "required" to fight that boss but rather the boss drops a material "required" to continue progression. If you could obtain that material some other way, you can make all bosses optional and go the route Starbound is trying to go; allowing different playstyles while rewarding similar progression. In the end, you're giving people variety and choice without locking down the need to get good at fighting.

That's the silliest part, really. Why are there required dungeons when you're giving people the ability to be farmers as a way of beating the game? If you do that, you should let the player power up beyond the dungeon's difficulty in order to overcome it with ease. Unfortunately, as is, the dungeons are required to beat in order to gain the power to make the dungeon trivial. It's just a bit backwards and I'm kinda hoping Chucklefish notices where they went wrong there.

"Somehow" you're supposed to actually be able to do that through Colony stuff and whatever else. I'm really surprised that has been forgotten so much at this point but, then, CF only just started working on the framework for it so yeah.

As my memory serves, The plan was that you could do Adventure Quests for upgrades and boss drops and poo poo, or you could do Colony/Farming stuff and just buy your progression. I think there might have been another path to it, or Farming and Colony work might have been seperate bullet points? It's been a few years now so even I'm forgetting the fine details.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

nerdz posted:

Battle born was lackluster to say the least. I was pretty excited to be part of the Alpha but I really want my time back :/

I think over watch will be the same. Just a boring 5v5 with no depth.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
even blizzard has been grimcreap'd

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
also how in the gently caress there's a game called overwatch and it's not a turn based combat game

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

nerdz posted:

also how in the gently caress there's a game called overwatch and it's not a turn based combat game

It was going to be an MMO fps before it was a moba.

Man.. i really want a GOOD mmo fps thats not The Divisionsucks

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

I think over watch will be the same. Just a boring 5v5 with no depth.

*anime twitching* H-how can this be! I... I've finally been creep'd!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

grimcreaper posted:

It was going to be an MMO fps before it was a moba.

Man.. i really want a GOOD mmo fps thats not The Divisionsucks

Excuse you! I know you can do better than this. Its the Deadvision.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I was bored so I went tooling around steam and I ended up at the starbound page, since when are early access games allowed to win any sort of award before there even close to done? And I'm sorry but starbound is not one of the top 100 PC games of all time. There should be a rule that unless it's a specifically early access award early access games should not be eligible. And I don't care whether or not PC gamer is super bias. And the kicker is that the award they won is from 2013! More than 2 years and it's not even done yet and arguably getting worse. My question to you is, would starbound win that award or get on that list today or even whenever they push out 1.0? And I know I'm being unfair to the game that it could be when it's done but it's hard to be hopeful at this point.

Fake edit: is like when people were mad that the revenent wasn't nominated for a 2015 Oscar when it wasn't even out yet... Amagin of it did and won!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Sorry for the rant

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I was bored so I went tooling around steam and I ended up at the starbound page, since when are early access games allowed to win any sort of award before there even close to done? And I'm sorry but starbound is not one of the top 100 PC games of all time. There should be a rule that unless it's a specifically early access award early access games should not be eligible. And I don't care whether or not PC gamer is super bias. And the kicker is that the award they won is from 2013! More than 2 years and it's not even done yet and arguably getting worse. My question to you is, would starbound win that award or get on that list today or even whenever they push out 1.0? And I know I'm being unfair to the game that it could be when it's done but it's hard to be hopeful at this point.

Fake edit: is like when people were mad that the revenent wasn't nominated for a 2015 Oscar when it wasn't even out yet... Amagin of it did and won!

That's sort of like asking if a lot of GOTY games would win GOTY if they were released this year. The answer's no.

Now, whether or not you think 2013 starbound deserves to be one of the best 100 games ever at that time, that's another question, but you can't retroactively take awards off people because the games don't hold up.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I don't think it does deserve to be on the 2013 list, it was all promises and the thrill of something new. And again early access games should not be eligible for stuff like that.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Divisionbound

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I don't think it does deserve to be on the 2013 list, it was all promises and the thrill of something new. And again early access games should not be eligible for stuff like that.

Here's a tip: Those awards are completely meaningless in every way imaginable no matter who or what wins them, always have been and always will be. Never base any purchase choice or informed opinion on them.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Overwatch has way more waifus than TF2 therefore it is objectively superior. I mean, Ms. Pauling is pretty high tier I'll grant you that but you can't even play as her!

Valve confirmed on Twitter that Ms. Pauling likes girls

perfect unobtainable waifu x2

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Blind Duke posted:

So she's gay just like all the existing characters are in my fanfictions.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Who is your Overwatch waifu and why is it Tracer?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Your cute. It's obvious that it's Mai.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Michaellaneous posted:

Who is your Overwatch waifu and why is it Tracer?

I like Winston you bigoted gently caress.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Obviously it's sword man animu waifu

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Playstation 4 posted:

I like Winston you bigoted gently caress.

I changed my mind.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blind Duke posted:

Well, one guy said it in a tweet and it was never confirmed nor denied, so who knows cares

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

New art assets guys! Just what we've been wanting!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can't believe that in February of 2016 we're finally getting a feature that was shown off on their steam store page screenshots in december of 2013

Hylotl Villages

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I mean, I can, but lol

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

That's the funniest thing to me. I played the poo poo out of Starbound when it kicked off it's early access and at the time I felt like it was great, just needed to add in the story content and they were basically done. Here we are, 2 going on 3 years later and the game just keeps getting worse and worse.

I was so excited for a generic space terraria with random quests you don't even know. Just, do some little casual esafari in a sandbox with a few quests to keep playing. That's all they needed to do.

At least Otherworld's coming out.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 10, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Isn't that the cheap tower defense spin-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that'd be the one, yup

• Locked thread