Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
https://www.frontierstore.net/games/elite-dangerous-cat/elite-dangerous-horizons-dlc.html

quote:

2.0 – Planetary Landings
Available Now
A whole new angle on the galaxy. Journey from the stars to the surfaces of strange worlds, and hit the ground running in the new Scarab Surface Recon Vehicle.

2.1 – The Engineers
Coming Spring 2016
Everything changes. Introducing an expanded mission system and game-changing loot. Craft exotic weapons and modules for your spacecraft and build a ship unlike any other.

2.2 – Guardians
Coming Summer 2016
Take what comes and strike back with double. Bring a second ship to every combat encounter with Ship-Launched Fighters and defend your passengers against the deadliest threats in the galaxy.

2.3 – The Commanders
Coming Fall 2016
Team up and stand together. Forge your own identity with the new Commander Creator, then share your bridge with Multi-Crew and fly with friends.

2.4 – ????
Coming Soon
A secret revealed in Elite Dangerous: Horizons’ final expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Coming this summer Guardians of the Galaxy :haw:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I vaguely remember someone sometime saying that some of this new content would be available to people that didn't buy Horizons, right? Also, I'm really skeptical about multi-crew stuff coming this fall just given the state of much simpler things in the game (lack of weapon variety as size increases, super generic missions/text, etc), but I'm not familiar with how Frontier have been with respect to features and timelines. Am I being overly skeptical?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

RVProfootballer posted:

I vaguely remember someone sometime saying that some of this new content would be available to people that didn't buy Horizons, right? Also, I'm really skeptical about multi-crew stuff coming this fall just given the state of much simpler things in the game (lack of weapon variety as size increases, super generic missions/text, etc), but I'm not familiar with how Frontier have been with respect to features and timelines. Am I being overly skeptical?

The 2.1 update will address most of your concerns to current content.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mike the TV posted:

But it will never meet the expectations people have in their heads.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

Well, it wasn't so much that I doubted they could or would add new weapons and missions. It's that if it's taken them so long to do that, can I trust them to do something much more complicated to do well (like multi-crew ships) within the next 7-9 months? One thing in their favor is that they might certainly be neglecting simple stuff like weapons because they're spending all their time on big things (like planetary landings and, possibly, multi-crew ships). I just have no idea how Frontier has been about meeting timelines for features fully, vs. missing them fully, vs. implementing something in a half-assed way to technically meet the self-set deadline.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

Until now, Frontier has hit every timeline they set. Sometimes people were disappointed with what they got, though (PowerPlay).

Also calling it now: 2.4 is aliens. Thargoids are coming!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LCL-Dead posted:

Come to the froggy side. We will teach you.

I applied a week or so ago but never heard back.

I really hope the new huge weapons open up options a bit. I've spent the last three days playing with Corvette/Cutter loadouts and after everything I've tried, it seems like the only conclusion I can come to is that gimballed pulse are just the only viable option for sustained anything. Rails are cool but you only get 30 shots. Plasma Accelerators are cool but good luck firing more than two at a time or pairing them effectively with anything else. Beams are cool but you'll overheat and run out of capacitor. Nothing else seems to do the consistent damage of pulse, and they don't take up much generator space, freeing up room for bigger shields/sensors, and they can fire forever. I'm running this build on the Cutter:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...n=Janissary%201

The only non-pulse hardpoints are the two on the engine nacelles- you can run two c2 beam turrets out there and they have full coverage over the top arc of your ship, and draw low enough power that you can actually recharge your capacitor at 4 pips even with them firing. Very nice for cleaning up vipers and eagles. Even then, if they were closer to the body, they'd just be pulses.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Yeah, I think 2.5 is aliens as well. Thargoids are going to do jobs no human wants to at a fraction of the cost. Space Trump will be mad.

I'm enjoying this game even if it isn't fully developed. The ships are cool,space scenery beautiful.

Also, holy poo poo is Robigo out there. I didn't think any outposts were out that far.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

Until now, Frontier has hit every timeline they set. Sometimes people were disappointed with what they got, though (PowerPlay).

Ok, cool. Good to know!

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Pulses are super utiltarian for a lot of the reasons you listed, but once you're flying the biggest ships you have to break away or else you're going to bore yourself to tears. A few thoughts:

- Multicannons pair well with PACs if you aren't offended by them. They use a neglible amount of capacitor and you can just hold the fire button down while focusing on lining up that purple plasma money shot.

- Beams are capacitor hungry and high heat, yes, but you don't have to try to run a full load of them. With the corvette's beefy distributor you can fire a large and two smalls continuously for a very long time. A large and two mediums probably would work well too.

- Don't discount burst lasers as a possible go-between for efficiency vs. DPS. They're potentially helpful in terms of tweaking your setup to the perfect amount of capacitor drain and heat load.

- By the time you're stomping NPCs in a corvette, being optimal can come second to having fun. Locking on your gimablled pulse lasers and holding the trigger until your target is dead for the 200,000th time is not very fun. Obliterating a clipper with a relentless barage of explosive plasma death never gets old.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So 2.2 has passengers to defend against the deadliest threats in the galaxy. I don't think that's random pirates and they have already started hinting big time that alien stuff is coming sooner rather than later (those barnacles), so my bet is 2.2 is passengers and thargoids.

Maybe in 2.5 the surprise is that thargoids will turn out to be nice and we ally with them against the actual bad guys :v:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The real villain is the Stimpire.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I am a total nub at this game, just got into it a few weeks ago and I'm loving it.

As far as exploration goes, how much unexplored territory is there? I know the galaxy is huge but what has already been explored as far as percentages?

What do I need to start exploring professionally?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Watermelon posted:

I am a total nub at this game, just got into it a few weeks ago and I'm loving it.

As far as exploration goes, how much unexplored territory is there? I know the galaxy is huge but what has already been explored as far as percentages?

You will absolutely need a fuel scoop, for starters. Essentially makes you have unlimited range but its tedious to refuel sometimes.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Phi230 posted:

You will absolutely need a fuel scoop, for starters. Essentially makes you have unlimited range but its tedious to refuel sometimes.

Until you get a class 6 scoop, then it goes pretty quick.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kramjacks posted:

Until you get a class 6 scoop, then it goes pretty quick.

Also make sure you know which stars are scoopable and which aren't so you can plan accordingly.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Probably less than one-tenth of one percent is explored. A lot of stuff around the bubble of settled space is explored, but that's because it is close. Go out a thousand Ly and it's easy to find the unexplored.

There's a billion systems in the game. Even if a system was being explored every second nonstop it would take something like 32 years to explore them all, by my napkin math. Realistically, not that many explore, people stop to scan and take pretty pictures, it would take thousands of years to explore it all.

There's plenty of space to explore and put your name on if you get off the beaten path and the space tourist destinations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

Technically:
Any discovery scanner.

Practically:
An advanced discovery scanner, detailed surface scanner, the biggest fuel scoop and A rated hyperdrive you can fit. D rated everything else to save weight.

Optionally:
An A rated powerplant is helpful, as they have the best heat characteristics. A handy tip is to buy a smaller class than will fit to save weight, as long as your power requirements are met it doesn't matter.

If you have Horizons, you might want a vehicle bay too. If you plan on doing landings, it's also a good idea to upgrade your thrusters or you'll pancake on high G worlds.

Heat sink launchers can come in handy if you accidentally jump in between a binary pair and start burning up. An automated repair system can also come in handy too.

Weapons:
Nah.

Shields:
Some people forgo them. Then again, some people crash and explode after 6 months of exploring and lose everything. Don't be like these people.

Natsuumi posted:

There's a billion systems in the game.
400 billion.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 5, 2016

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Phi230 posted:

Also make sure you know which stars are scoopable and which aren't so you can plan accordingly.

Just remember KGB FOAM for the star classes you can scoop and you're good.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

YellerBill posted:

Just remember KGB FOAM for the star classes you can scoop and you're good.

Real space nerds scoop OBAFGKM stars :colbert:

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Fried Watermelon posted:

There is a poo poo ton left to explore. Jump going in a straight line and before you hit 1000lys away from the powerplay cloud you'll start finding uncharted systems. The galaxy has hundreds of billions of stars in it. We're not running out any time soon.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Also keep in mind that you get a nice bonus for being the first to discover something, but it's not necessary. Really you could just fly around inhabited space honking your horn every system and you could still rack up a couple million in profit.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Natsuumi posted:

Real space nerds scoop OBAFGKM stars :colbert:

I choose my scooping stars by the H-R diagram

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Libluini posted:

I don't think Thargoids will be an expansion. They will just be something that Frontier keep adding into the background and building up tension. If it was an announced expansion that tension would be lost. With that being said, I don't have a better guess. More ships? It does not seem like any of the next expansions are adding any ships to the game. New station types? In order to accommodate the larger ships Frontier have talked about. Frontier have hinted of larger cargo ships that would benefit having multi-crew.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

As has been said, not counting the initial kickstarter release estimate they haven't missed a single deadline they've set by more than 24 hours.

If they're saying it'll be in by fall, you can be fairly confident it will be if past performance is any indicator.

I'm personally not that excited about any of these additions, although they'll definitely flesh out the game a bit more. What I really want is for them to get atmospheric flight in, so I can go see what Jupiter's storms look like from the inside. Looks like I'll have to wait a little while longer to do that though. :smith:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Multi-crew is a fundamentally poo poo concept that Frontier should get away from ASAP. If there's a genuine advantage to running multi-crewed, then you can only play when your friends are around, and you're stuck with scheduling nightmares in a game where travel times are non-trivial. If there isn't, it's a worthless gimmick consuming tons of time for nothing.

What they need to be focused on for multiplayer content is good MISSION design, with different missions for your whole wing if you're leading it, more interesting multipart mission design, as well as making weapon balance not absolute garbage.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Can't say I disagree. I think multicrew will be a gimmick feature at best, a complete waste of time at worst (it'll always be more efficient to just bring more ships).

Maybe they'll turn it into something fun though, stranger things have happened.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I just had a thought. If they remove Horizons from Steam and roll it into the base game as DLC, will I lose all my screenshots from the Horizons game? I don't care about losing the playtime, but I take a lot of screenshots and publish them to my profile.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
So any quick fix to get my Steam install okay? I've got Horizons installed and E:D uninstalled. I'm guessing this might just be a whole new reinstall?

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
I hope multicrew lets us share the work between accepting and abandonning missions for 200% space efficiency.
Alternatively we could see fun stuff like 1 guy manning the mining laser while another guy is working in the refinery. Or what does the lore say about ship galleys? Maybe multicrew is the 84ers dream of finally involving their loved ones in their space adventures *brabenwink*

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

tooterfish posted:

Can't say I disagree. I think multicrew will be a gimmick feature at best, a complete waste of time at worst (it'll always be more efficient to just bring more ships).

Maybe they'll turn it into something fun though, stranger things have happened.

maybe we could all gently caress in this

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the info, I will grab a fuel scoop right away.

I didn't realize how little was explored already, I guess I underestimated how to scale they actually made the galaxy!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Luneshot posted:

I just had a thought. If they remove Horizons from Steam and roll it into the base game as DLC, will I lose all my screenshots from the Horizons game? I don't care about losing the playtime, but I take a lot of screenshots and publish them to my profile.

You shouldn't lose your published screenshots, as you can even publish screenshots from non-steam games. You will lose the screenshot manager or uploading them to the Elite Dangerous Horizons community hub.

For example, I kept my 3 screenshots I made in Horizons. They just lost the tag saying what game it was.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I applied a week or so ago but never heard back.

According to inara you were added to the 312th Regular Pollywogs, or a regular (meaning you come online a few times a week) west coast team (NA). Now you just need to be present in Discord and be aware of things posted in the PGS thread.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
The latest E:D newsletter posted into the Star Citizen thread (And Steam Monkey new year sale) convinced me to get the basic game.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

K8.0 posted:

Multi-crew is a fundamentally poo poo concept that Frontier should get away from ASAP. If there's a genuine advantage to running multi-crewed, then you can only play when your friends are around, and you're stuck with scheduling nightmares in a game where travel times are non-trivial. If there isn't, it's a worthless gimmick consuming tons of time for nothing.

What they need to be focused on for multiplayer content is good MISSION design, with different missions for your whole wing if you're leading it, more interesting multipart mission design, as well as making weapon balance not absolute garbage.

I agree. And if there is a genuine advantage its just going to piss off everyone one else. Unless your game is only about multi-crew, it can not but end badly.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
What a shitload of pessimism about multicrew. It's probably going to be a fun but not terribly deep alternative for having casual space adventures with your friends. Who the gently caress cares how precisely it stacks up against wings in whatever twisted meta that doesn't actually matter. Crewing a spaceship with friends is a fun and cool idea, and multicrew will probably also be at least for a little while.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

timn posted:

What a shitload of pessimism about multicrew. It's probably going to be a fun but not terribly deep alternative for having casual space adventures with your friends. Who the gently caress cares how precisely it stacks up against wings in whatever twisted meta that doesn't actually matter. Crewing a spaceship with friends is a fun and cool idea, and multicrew will probably also be at least for a little while.

I'm just not sure it can possibly be more fun than each flying separately. What do the non-pilot crew members do? Have Frontier given any hints Shoot individual turrets? Do some minigame to boost power or recharge shields? Control the cargo and fuel scoop deployments? At least once the extra fighter bay thing comes, one extra crewman can fly it (instead of their own independent ship, ha).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I may be a little scarce this weekend.

Oh XCOM, never change. :rolldice:

• Locked thread