Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Royalty is always conflated with supreme power and transcendent understanding of the universe, to know the seven syllables of royalty and their seven intonations is as close to understanding Yisun and their work as anyone really gets.

I don't think that's really how it works in the universe (most of the magic we've seen in use seems to require no more innate command of magical theory than use of a cellphone requires understanding of subatomic physics, for the same reasons - it's stuff like Mottom tossing killing words around or the demiurges creating the keys that's special and innate to the caster) but between the two you can whip up a convenient 49-point sliding scale from the mundane to functional omnipotence so

I just want to stay true to the comic. For instance, White Chain warns Allison that she knows the 4th syllable of royalty, but is never shown using the Art, the first time we see the Art is Cio's paper soldiers.
My issue is there are clearly other paths to power aside from the art. And in the KSBD RPG, using the art is dependant on a players mind stat.
VVVV I don't know where you've gotten that impression? The author of the comic explicitly calls what Cio is doing "the art," and the 3 magistrates Allison encounters fight the unbound devil by firing lasers at it, one of whom fires her's straight from her hands in a specific gesture. And one wants to use "Druelle's third resonance" which sounds like a spell to me. Minor characters in the comic, like the magistrates and the pursuers use a variety of implements, which are described as focuses for the Art. White Chain initially suspects Allison of being a Vatra, which she then describes as a sorceror. It seems to me that magic is all over the place.
I'm trying not to get too much into the specific rules of the game because it's pretty off topic, but being able to use a particular art, how likely it is to work, the magnitude, range, duration, and level of control over that art are all separate aspects of a character, it's not just a matter of being able to cast any spell at a particular proficiency. To clarify, a character could learn 100 arts while only knowing one syllable of royalty, or learn 100 syllables of royalty without ever learning an art.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cio's paper soldiers are a pretty neat gadget that's way too powerful for a minor secretary demon to have just on hand but I don't think her using them implies she'd be equally proficient at casting any old equivalent spell, she just knows how to wield origami creatively and has some leftover gear from when she was Ebon. There's not a lot of dedicated wizards in the comic, Demiurges aside, everyone's got magical gadgets of whatever kind are useful to what they do and most of the (mostly mercenary/cop) folks we've encountered have picked up some physically improbable martial arts of one kind or other but nobody's tossing fireballs around and studying up to learn Dimension Door, that's just not a discrete field of knowledge separate from everyday life skills and technology unless you're a reality-bending, teleporting-into-heaven-by-raw-talent-alone ubermensch. Being good at magic is like being good at electricity, only if you're Edison you can shoot lightning out of your fingers

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 3, 2016

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Captain Redbeard posted:

Royalty is a pretty good word for it. Are we sure it doesn't mean something else though? I always thought its use was more figurative, like, someone could have royalty or know syllables of royalty with knowing the art. Are they the same thing?
What about strings? Associations with string theory (knowledge of a secret structure of the universe) but also pulling the strings, as in attempting to exert control. And when we see Cio use the art, it is represented with a string connecting her words.
Or more importantly, does everyone who uses the art know at least one syllable of royalty? Is that how it works?

How about Authority? With emphasis and a play on words with the "Author" part, to have a higher Authority means you have more command over reality because you can tell it more interesting/believable/whatever story.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

Yak of Wrath posted:

How about Authority? With emphasis and a play on words with the "Author" part, to have a higher Authority means you have more command over reality because you can tell it more interesting/believable/whatever story.

I thought about authority, i kind of like it. Really I'm just going to bring up all these terms with my players and see what they want to use, but thanks for the suggestions!
Edit: The more I think about it, the more I like it. I'm going with it.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 3, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Minor detail I liked, Michael's form in the Void still has the spears in it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Minor detail I liked, Michael's form in the Void still has the spears in it.

dude knows how to carry a grudge

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Begemot posted:

That is some prime crazy-face in the second to last panel.

I like how a more distant viewpoint makes Metatron look more pathetic and broken than powerful. This comic has good art.

This comic has the best art.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm, given that White Chain is spilling her guts about Metatron when Michael's here talking about secret missions and such, it seems pretty clear she turned him down. I wonder what the fallout of that will be for her, she looked far worse for wear talking to the angels than she does "now", so the Thorns and/or Michael himself probably tried to kill her after that.

I also wonder if her story will be believed; if it is, it seems like it would shake things up a lot, unless the other angels all support the plan or something.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Captain Redbeard posted:

I just wish i could think of a word for a unit of sovereignty.

droit(s)

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

I just had this exchange over tumblr:
"Hi, I am a big fan of Kill Six Billion Demons, and I was wondering if you could answer a question I have about the art. Does everyone who can use the art know at least one syllable of royalty?"
"Nope! But they might have a little understanding of it. The code of royalty is a sort of enlightenment/nirvana deal"
Although droits is a good word.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 4, 2016

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I am a little confused now. Michael's talking about how he wants to wipe the slate clean, right? But it sounds like he's opposed to the Thorn's mission of...wiping the slate clean.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

FAT BATMAN posted:

I am a little confused now. Michael's talking about how he wants to wipe the slate clean, right? But it sounds like he's opposed to the Thorn's mission of...wiping the slate clean.

I'm guessing the "royalist" thing will be explained next week and will probably be some sort of middle road between the two.

It still probably includes mass human genocide, though.

e:

AriadneThread posted:

michael doesn't think it's possible to return to the age before man by killing everyone in throne like the thorns do
michael and metatron however, are royalists

did not remember that page

Chewbaccanator fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 5, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

michael doesn't think it's possible to return to the age before man by killing everyone in throne like the thorns do

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

AriadneThread posted:

I think the plan may be: We can't just kill the humans because the humans will just keep coming. This is because, like us, they are comprised of a flame that cannot be extinguished. So the only way to stop it all is to literally stop it ALL. Unmake the universe.

To do this they use the prophesy which stated that the kings heir will kill all the former masters. So they help the new king along. Then once she's done killing all the former masters, they'll be able to put into place the method by which they unmake the universe and combine everything back into the singular God of everything that once was.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 5, 2016

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

TheCIASentMe posted:

I think the plan may be: We can't just kill the humans because the humans will just keep coming. This is because, like us, they are comprised of a flame that cannot be extinguished. So the only way to stop it all is to literally stop it ALL. Unmake the universe.

To do this they use the prophesy which stated that the kings heir will kill all the former masters. So they help the new king along. Then once she's done killing all the former masters, they'll be able to put into place the method by which they unmake the universe and combine everything back into the singular God of everything that once was.

They still think the "boy" is the heir though, not Allison.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Important stuff

quote:

Each world in the Wheel is like a story being told by the gods. Some stories have giant, expansive universes, like ours. Some are just a single world, with no limits or boundaries. Some are worlds are flat and held up on the back of a turtle, or moebius strips. Some are an ocean that has no bottom.

Theoretically, the only life that exists in creation comes directly from the Flame Immortal. Man exists as directly from God’s image, so in a sense, creationism is real in the KSBD universe. But who knows what God or Gods created our Earth? Maybe the story they’re telling is subtle and different.

I’ve mentioned this in the monthly patreon hangouts, but Allison isn’t actually from our Earth, canonically. She is from an Earth almost exactly like ours, except Australia doesn’t exist.

(I’m only half serious about the last one)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
obviously, whichever god created allisons earth is far more wise and benevolent than our own if they decided to omit the island exclusively inhabited by things that kill you

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

obviously, whichever god created allisons earth is far more wise and benevolent than our own if they decided to omit the island exclusively inhabited by things that kill you

Technically anything could kill you under the right circumstances. It's just that Australia is inhabited by things that can/will kill you in all circumstances.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Such as kangaroos and cassowaries.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

paranoid randroid posted:

Having no continent to their own, all things that are out to kill you have spread out over the world. Thus in Allison's world, everything is trying to kill you all the time. This is why killing 6 Billion Demons is no big deal for her.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

nimby posted:

Having no continent to their own, all things that are out to kill you have spread out over the world. Thus in Allison's world, everything is trying to kill you all the time. This is why killing 6 Billion Demons is no big deal for her.

man, even derivatives of YISUN are huge loving pricks

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

New page!

Apparently they think 6 Juggernaut messed up the prophecy and that's why Allison has the key. Which is kind of borne out by the beginning of the comic where he totally cuts off Zoss' head and kidnaps the boyfriend before Zoss can do anything, which makes me think that 6 Juggernaut is either an idiot or was trying to change things from the start.

But really there's no actual indication that Zoss was intending to give it to the boyfriend in the first place. He didn't seem too put out when he met Allison later.

Also that's not how prophecies work you idiots!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Begemot posted:

New page!

Apparently they think 6 Juggernaut messed up the prophecy and that's why Allison has the key. Which is kind of borne out by the beginning of the comic where he totally cuts off Zoss' head and kidnaps the boyfriend before Zoss can do anything, which makes me think that 6 Juggernaut is either an idiot or was trying to change things from the start.

Juggernaut admits that he let his hatred for Zoss get the better of him, which lead to him jumping the gun and killing him early.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zoss absolutely meant to give the key to Allison. He knows who she is, his ghost used her name. These guys are just sexist jerks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Zoss absolutely meant to give the key to Allison. He knows who she is, his ghost used her name. These guys are just sexist jerks.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Can I just say. Zoss looks like the baddest dude in every frame he's been in. I love it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

wiegieman posted:

I think you mean Alice

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he knows her name, but there's a cultural misunderstanding at play regarding what her name actually means

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Isn't the "name of seven parts in seven" mentioned in the flavour text generally understood to refer to God, YISUN? Which is kind of funny because that's the sort of passage you'd normally expect to be reading between the lines, but really it's just "hey bozos, the heir will literally have the same name as God".

*COUGH*Al-Yisun

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

wiegieman posted:

These guys are just sexist jerks.

Yep. See their insistence at referring to White Chain as a "him".

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Man if those crazy bastards succeed god would be so unhappy with them for the picosecond god exist before "offing" themselves again.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
2 Michael's that one relative shouting "HIS name is BRUCE Jenner!" at Thanksgiving dinner.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's arguable that it makes some sense (calling all angels he even though gender is a concept that doesn't seem especially applicable to them as individuals) as they're formed from part of the masculine white flame.

Devils are formed from part of the feminine black flame and skew heavily feminine in appearance, though they seem much less uptight about changing that as they grow.

e/ Mike is definitely sexist as gently caress, but his beef with White Chain is that they're too human. Using "her" would, from his perspective, be reinforcing that they're not really an angel anymore, because "he" is what angels are. I don't know if I'm making sense.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 6, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's arguable that it makes some sense calling all humans she seeing as they're formed from part of the feminine black flame

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still kind of like the theory that they're convinced that the successor is male because "his" name is Alice-Un.

(Not incompatible with Al-YISUN either, of course.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Basically my understanding was that while White Chain's appearance seems somewhat feminine, that's more happenstance than any desire to be regarded as female. White Chain has become more like YIS and less like UN, and while a shift from masculine to feminine is wrapped up in that, it is not, in this case, the most important thing.

But Mike and basically everyone else in positions of power are deffo sexist as gently caress and this is not a thing I am disputing.

Tollymain posted:

it's arguable that it makes some sense calling all humans she seeing as they're formed from part of the feminine black flame

I should point out I'm not actually arguing that, or the other thing. I'm trying to wrap my head around Michael's point of view, because what even is sexism when you don't have sex? Idolising UN over YIS is all I can think of.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's a very old being of "the Law" and is clearly both full of himself and rather uncompromising and rigid, in a way that's likely not entirely rational given his having those spears through both his physical and spiritual forms. He probably immediately dismisses it as "wrong" between it not being how things "normally" are and his hatred for humans, among other things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

I should point out I'm not actually arguing that, or the other thing. I'm trying to wrap my head around Michael's point of view, because what even is sexism when you don't have sex? Idolising UN over YIS is all I can think of.

I think in this case it's that they decided to use 'he' as their neutral term in English. For White Chain to have a desire to use something else implies actual gender, which he is very grumpy about.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
2- Michael is an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's arguable that it makes some sense (calling all angels he even though gender is a concept that doesn't seem especially applicable to them as individuals) as they're formed from part of the masculine white flame.

Devils are formed from part of the feminine black flame and skew heavily feminine in appearance, though they seem much less uptight about changing that as they grow.

e/ Mike is definitely sexist as gently caress, but his beef with White Chain is that they're too human. Using "her" would, from his perspective, be reinforcing that they're not really an angel anymore, because "he" is what angels are. I don't know if I'm making sense.

That's his claim but he also cares way, way too loving much about gender for a sexless vaporous fight monster who legitimately doesn't have a dog in the fight and is purely a stickler about tradition. Like, imagine someone getting this angry about someone else talking about what kind of motor they'd like to have, if they were a car

ok on second thought maybe 2 Michael is just GBS is gently caress

Dr Christmas posted:

2 Michael's that one relative shouting "HIS name is BRUCE Jenner!" at Thanksgiving dinner.