Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I thought if you held multiple duchies they all just use the same laws as your primary duchy and don't even have their own law screens... but maybe that's only if you create them rather an usurp existing ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Click on the shield for the title you want on the laws screen.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Is there any way to break a 1:1 tie in the council when they vote on something? I had the realm stuck at 3/3/1 For/Against/Undecided for the entire life of my ruler even though there were 0 undecided. Maybe it had something to do with a council member being my regent, giving them two spots and or two votes?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think whoever wrote the new childhood events must have forgotten that these are supposed to be congenital/inheritable traits, because the whole thing is dumb as poo poo. It was cool when Zunbils could spontaneously generate those traits, because ~*~*~mystical sun god power~*~*~, but when everyone's doing it it's just gibberish.

The traits screen is getting a bit crowded, though, so I'm not sure actual fit/flabby/incorrigible dipshit traits are the way to go here. Give one-time bonuses to base stats, maybe? Or just rejigger the interface so the trait bar has room to breathe.

It's more like fourth, behind genius, quick and ambitious, maybe fifth depending on how you rate patient.

Nah, it's behind Genius and maybe tied with Quick. It's above Ambitious and Patient because it gives you +10 vassal opinion(which is why both of those are also below Diligent). It also gives you a huge whack of health so that you live forever, and there are, to my knowledge, no events that remove it from you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'd rather have Strong than Genius and IMO Strong is the #1 best trait. A Genius is just going to die of poor health at age 31 anyway.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I kind of like that congenital traits are gained during childhood. Think of it as them being revealed. It's not like when the baby pops out you can tell it's genetically dumb. Kid gets to a certain age and you realize, oh, this one isn't going far in life. New system makes sense to me. I do wish there were more events, and that the educator mattered.

And I don't need a pop-up every time anyone in my court reaches maturity. No matter how many times I get the pop-up that I've failed X and they've gained the 1-dot trait because they grew up in prison and we don't have books in prison I refuse to feel guilty. Karling infants exist for 2 purposes: ransoming when they inherit something, and after coming of age, hanging from a rope until dead for the glory of Odin.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

so a new patch dropped and it doesn't seem to have done anything other than turn most of the crests black

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Odobenidae posted:

Is there any way to break a 1:1 tie in the council when they vote on something? I had the realm stuck at 3/3/1 For/Against/Undecided for the entire life of my ruler even though there were 0 undecided. Maybe it had something to do with a council member being my regent, giving them two spots and or two votes?

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Turned out I could hand out an Advisor slot as well. And yes, the UI is super obtuse about that.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Do favours persist through death? Asking for a friend.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd rather have Strong than Genius and IMO Strong is the #1 best trait. A Genius is just going to die of poor health at age 31 anyway.

Eh. Extra health just means an extra decade of infirm, in my experience.

I'm fairly certain the last time I checked those events weren't delayed by health, which seems a bit odd to me.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is there a mod that improves the Charlemagne start? I'd especially like more culture melting pot / conversion events like the Norse to Normans stuff

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I forget if this has been answered before, but how do the new status of women laws interact with Muslims and Merchant Republics? Are they just disabled?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
How on Earth do you make a honorary title a voting position?

catch_the_sun
Mar 20, 2009
I'm fairly certain that's by adding in...

"" posted:

is_voter = yes

...to whatever title you're trying to give voting powers to.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

catch_the_sun posted:

I'm fairly certain that's by adding in...

...to whatever title you're trying to give voting powers to.

You have to mod it? What is the purpose of the "Appoint Councilor" option then?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

marktheando posted:

Click on the shield for the title you want on the laws screen.
No shield for the Duchy of Man, my primary is Britanny.

catch_the_sun
Mar 20, 2009

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

You have to mod it? What is the purpose of the "Appoint Councilor" option then?

That's for granting the usual council positions (i.e. Chancellor, Marshal, etc.) or the Advisor honorary title, which comes with a council seat. If you want to make any honorary title into a voting position, you'll have to mod it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
God drat, this guy. The Jarl of Kent - I've got him at 100 opinion, a lover, and a friend, but he's still a glory hound instead of a loyalist on the council.

edit: Orrr, it doesn't refresh monthly like I assumed. He finally kicked over to loyalist, probably from the friend thing.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 6, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Strudel Man posted:

God drat, this guy. The Jarl of Kent - I've got him at 100 opinion, a lover, and a friend, but he's still a glory hound instead of a loyalist on the council.

Check his stats certain stats will make someone one type of thing dealio

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

verbal enema posted:

Check his stats certain stats will make someone one type of thing dealio
Yeah, he was honest, as a contributing factor.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, he was honest, as a contributing factor.

Well he's

honest about his intentions :v

The only ones I don't like so far are zealots. I CANT DELCARE WAR ON ANYONE oh what about the 22k strong abbasids?

Get hosed
no no no

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
And the last guy is shy and temperate, and refuses to go carousing with me. :cry: I'll never get that achievement for a fully loyal council at this rate.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

Well he's

honest about his intentions :v

The only ones I don't like so far are zealots. I CANT DELCARE WAR ON ANYONE oh what about the 22k strong abbasids?

Get hosed
no no no

Yeah Zealots consider holy wars to be higher priority than any other possible CB, regardless of how practical they are.

Is "Pragmatist" just the default stance if they don't have traits/opinions that push them towards one of the others? Or are there certain traits combinations that would override Brave, say, and make them a pragmatist instead of a glory hound? It seems like pragmatists are the easiest to please, next to loyalists.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah Zealots consider holy wars to be higher priority than any other possible CB, regardless of how practical they are.

Is "Pragmatist" just the default stance if they don't have traits/opinions that push them towards one of the others? Or are there certain traits combinations that would override Brave, say, and make them a pragmatist instead of a glory hound? It seems like pragmatists are the easiest to please, next to loyalists.
Nah, there isn't really a default. I posted the factors back a page or two; as far as traits go, people are driven into pragmatism by being cynical, craven, just, or paranoid, and away from it by being content, arbitrary, slothful, greedy, or zealous.

Also, huh. Looks like preachers can still sneak into your territory sometimes without popping up the event for permission. Not sure how that happens...

edit: That's...interesting. My advisor went incapable in battle, and the position itself seems to have disappeared as a consequence. I only have the five normal positions of the council again, and I can't give 'advisor' out as a minor title. I actually waited until he died, and it's still gone.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 6, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If I read the Pragmatist descriptions right, their #1 concern is to gain their power through having the realm be stable. Which, as it so happens, is also what you want most of the time so yeah...makes sense they'd be easiest to please of the 4 remaining ones.

Maybe one should play a game, where their goal is to destabilize the realm they lead, while still keeping enough power to keep screwing it up? We'd see just how agreeable Pragmatists are then.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Oh god, my council.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It seems like pragmatists are the easiest to please, next to loyalists.

Yeah because all Pragmatists want is for you to not gently caress things up. Almost every time I've had the Pragmatists say no to something it was something that was loving stupid anyway.

Having a majority Pragmatist council actually makes the game easier than pre-conclave because whenever I go to declare war on someone and see that all the Pragmatists are against it, it means that I would have gotten my rear end kicked. I wish there were more seats on the Council though. 8 people is actually pretty easy to manage most of the time and the opinion penalty for vassals that aren't on the council seems to be pretty low so there's no extreme pressure to get all of them on it. The only times I've had the council really be a big pain in the rear end are right after successions and when one council member calls in favors on the rest of them.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
How do tributaries work? Do they last the life of the ruler who sets them up?

My Germanic Ireland ended up converting to Christianity after super-Francia tried Holy Warring.

But now I have England and Scotland as my Tributaries and I'm watching +25 gold/month come on in (without a vassal Merchant Republic either).

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

alcaras posted:

How do tributaries work? Do they last the life of the ruler who sets them up?

As far I remember, they end if either you or your tributary die.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gantolandon posted:

yep

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gantolandon posted:

Nope, they last as long as you live.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
scotland go home, your drunk

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Ha! Apparently there's a Glitterhoof exploit to get actual playable horses!

Source: http://imgur.com/a/NNzpn

TLDR: You can nominate horses to bishoprics, and count/duke level bishops spawn in courtiers of their ethnicity (horse) without the restrictive horse trait. Breed those courtiers.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 6, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Not named "Incitata"

0/10

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

At least Serbia looks right.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

lurksion posted:

TLDR: You can nominate horses to bishoprics, and count/duke level bishops spawn in courtiers of their ethnicity (horse) without the restrictive horse trait. Breed those courtiers.

I don't remember this in The History of Rome podcast

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

lurksion posted:

this sold me on the expansion

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If I showed that to my brony friend he'd buy this game in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Groogs me boy, fix this ASAP.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Be harmonious, enrich the stables, and scorn all other men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I doubled-checked and yep, no Incitatus in the culture name list!

Fix your broken game Paradox

• Locked thread