Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I bought Roads and Boats and the expansion on sale for I think $130ish a year ago and still have yet to play it. Money well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I liked Antiquity when I played it, especially the warning to never, ever ran out of wood.

Great Zimbabwe I could see the appeal but it wasn't for me. Never tried R&B but I've heard good things.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'd rather drop some cash on an 18xx or Splotter game (though Indonesia is the only one I have any real interest in) than get caught up in the cult of the new treadmill, dropping forty or fifty bucks every couple of months on the newest cookie-cutter efficiency euro or whatever. I don't mean to imply that those types of games are inherently bad, but I see the way people churn through them and I'm not interested in that kind of experience. I'm getting games that I know I'm going to own for a long time that I can play over and over without getting sick of, compared to the whopping nine plays I got from Power Grid. Last year I think my total purchases were 1860, a Combat Commander battlepack, Bohnanza and some dirt cheap Sid Sackson games I was interested in. This year it's going to be 1849, Indonesia, and maaaybe 1846.

Don't get me wrong, I hope GMT picks up some more 18xx and the prices come down but if you know these games are what you want they're worth the price and they're never going to blow up like Agricola. They're niche for a reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tekopo posted:

Like I know this poo poo because I used to order 18xx games, cut by hand in some basement and that you could only buy from the designers themselves. They do PoD because their target market is so loving niche that they can't do print runs. Splitter is a step above that but even then the print runs for Great Zimbabwe, Indonesia, Antiquity and Roads & Boats was tiny. And only FCM has really hit the limelight and thus has required more runs.

The problem is that they are still a small company: it's loving hard to get a Chinese manufacturer that you can trust, arrange shipping, get it delivered to a warehouse, distribute to shops etc etc. That poo poo costs money and they simply can't afford it. Even with the popularity of FCM they can't afford it. Saying 'why don't they just source cheaper components' seems to lack a huge understanding of what it entails to actually make games: see all of those failed kick starters that aren't producing even though they funded.

Funny, I don't remember saying anything along the lines of "they should just source cheaper components". Its almost like you're completely making that up!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
No, you wished for a fairy to come by and make the components cheaper. You didn't add any detail to your whining because it would have exposed how little thought you put into what you were saying.

Zaphod42 posted:

Funny, I don't remember saying anything along the lines of "they should just source cheaper components". Its almost like you're completely making that up!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

I would definitely watch "Broken Loose rants explains how to play Dead of Winter and says why each mechanism is bad"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay, board games aren't usually made in a single factory: they require lots of individual components that come together and are then packaged into a single box. Doing bigger print runs makes it cheaper to make those componeants, because the company doesn't have to retool in order to do just a single, small print. This doesn't necessarily mean cheaper in the terms of worse quality, and I apologise for that misunderstanding.

The problem still remains that they don't have the money to do large print runs, because there are a lot of upfront costs to setting up something like that and outside of China, there isn't a capacity, because China does that cheaper and in larger volumes, so printers in Europe and I assume the US tend to be niche and expensive themselves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Impermanent posted:

No, you wished for a fairy to come by and make the components cheaper. You didn't add any detail to your whining because it would have exposed how little thought you put into what you were saying.

Do you really enjoy arguing with strawmen so much?

Zaphod42 posted:

They need to partner up and get somebody else to do a major print run of FCM

Lots of people being jerks in this thread right now. There's no point arguing if you guys are just looking for a punching bag.

Tekopo posted:

Okay, board games aren't usually made in a single factory: they require lots of individual components that come together and are then packaged into a single box. Doing bigger print runs makes it cheaper to make those componeants, because the company doesn't have to retool in order to do just a single, small print. This doesn't necessarily mean cheaper in the terms of worse quality, and I apologise for that misunderstanding.

The problem still remains that they don't have the money to do large print runs, because there are a lot of upfront costs to setting up something like that and outside of China, there isn't a capacity, because China does that cheaper and in larger volumes, so printers in Europe and I assume the US tend to be niche and expensive themselves.

Sure. Which is why my very first suggestion was to partner up with a larger manufacturer.

Maybe they have reasons for not doing that, sure, but you guys just keep arguing with strawman nonsense I never said rather than just say "yeah but they aren't doing that" or whatever. Okay! I get it, they're not doing that, it is what it is, and that's their prerogative.

But you don't need to keep talking down to me like I have no clue what is going on.

The game is clearly selling well, supply can't meet demand. They could make some kind of contract with another publisher or they could bring in new investors or do lots of things. We'll see if they do or not. Argument over.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 5, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I honestly think you try to bring hostility to yourself, Zaphod. I don't know if you just want to troll but you tend to post in a pretty aggravating way and you constantly make "well I guess if you just want to play boring cube pushers!" posts.

People are just responding to you in kind. Just chill out, this is just a discussion.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Classic Zaphod.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

It's ironic that a game with such an exorbitant boutique price is all about hawking cheap junk food.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you really enjoy arguing with strawmen so much?

Lots of people being jerks in this thread right now. There's no point arguing if you guys are just looking for a punching bag.

Sure. Which is why my very first suggestion was to partner up with a larger manufacturer.

Maybe they have reasons for not doing that, sure, but you guys just keep arguing with strawman nonsense I never said rather than just say "yeah but they aren't doing that" or whatever. Okay! I get it, they're not doing that, it is what it is, and that's their prerogative.

But you don't need to keep talking down to me like I have no clue what is going on.

The game is clearly selling well, supply can't meet demand. They could make some kind of contract with another publisher or they could bring in new investors or do lots of things. We'll see if they do or not. Argument over.
I think the problem is that you asked why they were expensive NOW and maybe that was a misunderstanding based on re-reading your post but that's what a lot of people answered to, including me. And yes, there are things that they could do to increase supply in the future, although considering their market share they are likely non-viable apart from kick starting.

Edit: and it might be selling well, but only in relation to their previous games: regardless of sales, it'll still be a niche corner of the market.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Supreme Court posted:

I would definitely watch "Broken Loose rants explains how to play Dead of Winter and says why each mechanism is bad"

close to this but i'd probably be naked too

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Broken Loose posted:

Maybe start out clothed and strip off a piece of clothing every time you point out a flaw in Dead of Winter?

Granted you'd have to wear several layers of clothing to fit all the flaws in.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Broken Loose posted:

subbed

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I think the problem is that you asked why they were expensive NOW and maybe that was a misunderstanding based on re-reading your post but that's what a lot of people answered to, including me. And yes, there are things that they could do to increase supply in the future, although considering their market share they are likely non-viable apart from kick starting.

Edit: and it might be selling well, but only in relation to their previous games: regardless of sales, it'll still be a niche corner of the market.

Yeah that is 100% a misunderstanding, that's not at all what I said. I said they should take steps and partner with somebody in order to bring the price down in the future. You've been arguing with a strawman all along because you couldn't stop to clarify and jumped to conclusions.

Maybe their other products are niche, but FCM is a success. They could go to Fantasy Flight or Z-Man or even loving Hasbro and sign a deal to give them US distribution rights in return for a cut of every box sold. All the hard work is done and the game is a huge success, I think they could easily find a partner. And that's just one of many options they have.

Niche as much as any super nerdy board game, yeah, but if other companies have a big enough market to profit on those at lower cost, then the same applies to FCM.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also i apologise if I appeared to talk down to you, it wasn't my intention. I've had experience with small niche printers thanks to 18xx and war games and the way printing works within those niches is very interesting to me. Like even GMT, the biggest war game publisher out there and bigger than splotter can't afford to do continuous prints of their best-selling, chart-topping game Twilight Struggle, even when they are in a position to use larger scale print runs. And I don't think Splotter is financially in a position to be able to expand just because one of their games is more popular than their previous one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Also i apologise if I appeared to talk down to you, it wasn't my intention. I've had experience with small niche printers thanks to 18xx and war games and the way printing works within those niches is very interesting to me. Like even GMT, the biggest war game publisher out there and bigger than splotter can't afford to do continuous prints of their best-selling, chart-topping game Twilight Struggle, even when they are in a position to use larger scale print runs. And I don't think Splotter is financially in a position to be able to expand just because one of their games is more popular than their previous one.

I just think if you would have clarified rather than jumping down my throat at your first conclusion we could have avoided the entire thing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that is 100% a misunderstanding, that's not at all what I said. I said they should take steps and partner with somebody in order to bring the price down in the future. You've been arguing with a strawman all along because you couldn't stop to clarify and jumped to conclusions.

Maybe their other products are niche, but FCM is a success. They could go to Fantasy Flight or Z-Man or even loving Hasbro and sign a deal to give them US distribution rights in return for a cut of every box sold. All the hard work is done and the game is a huge success, I think they could easily find a partner. And that's just one of many options they have.
Yes, and then I explained why it was difficult to find a larger manufacturer and you jumped at the way I structured a single sentence and ignored all the rests. And after that instead of engaging further in a friendly conversation, you got aggressive/defensive instead. Chill out dude

Edit: I wasn't jumping down your throat, dude. I like discussing things, that just the way I am.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 6, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Zaphod maybe he jumped to conclusions but it seems to me people sure jump to conclusions an awful lot when your posting is involved. Crazy coincidence.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

CaptainRightful posted:

It's ironic that a game with such an exorbitant boutique price is all about hawking cheap junk food.

Add to the fact that it looks like a prototype and the price seems way too high. It may be worth it, but I'll never know.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been almost tempted to buy FCM with the recent reviews/discussions but the graphics are ugly and I put a lit of importance on visually appealing games coupled with good mechanisms. Dungeon Lord is the perfect game y'all.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Zaphod is loving awful everywhere he posts. Please don't talk to him. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I've been almost tempted to buy FCM with the recent reviews/discussions but the graphics are ugly and I put a lit of importance on visually appealing games coupled with good mechanisms. Dungeon Lord is the perfect game y'all.

Yeah I'm the same way. At that price FCM isn't really tempting but if it was more like $50-80 I'd probably pull the trigger regardless of the graphics, since it does sound pretty well designed and fun. And its got a good theme going on, even if it isn't the most epic.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Funnily enough the graphics are pretty much the only appeal for me. I love the look but I don't think I'm looking for a business logistics game.

Also it's funny to hear you talk about 18xx and then say visual appeal is important to you.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The other thing to consider with board game prices is that some companies put a price on the amount of design/development work they put in to it.

Generally the people who do this also tend to be the people who have a fairly small contingent of true fans who are willing to pay much more than the average cost of similarly sized games. This brings down the amount of copies produced which removes the benefits of economies of scale.

The price may be higher than what you are willing to pay, but that doesn't mean that the price is too high for the amount of game you get.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

cenotaph posted:

Funnily enough the graphics are pretty much the only appeal for me. I love the look but I don't think I'm looking for a business logistics game.

Also it's funny to hear you talk about 18xx and then say visual appeal is important to you.
Yeah, I know, but I got used to the way that 18xx looks and I don't mind it as much. The east anglia and Isle of Wight 18xx are ugly to me and I don't play them though. 1853 and 18OE are loving beautiful and I will fight anyone that doesn't agree, and the old Mayfair ones are pretty good looking too. You get used to the aesthetics.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There are other examples as well, actually, of how looks are important for my board game purchases: I didn't buy Automobile until I found a Treefrog copy, I'm always glad to have the Mayfair version of T&E over the FFG one, I might have gotten into Star Trek Attack Wing if they had better looking models (and what a mistake that would have been). I think I was less picky a couple of years back but I'm getting much more picky with my purchases.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'd really like to play an 18xx, or FCM, but I don't think they'd do well with my group. The people that like heavier games tend to like the more thematic heavy games, and I'm sure people would just lock up from AP. I think I need to find an additional group.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I got to play FCM Tuesday and it owns bones. Some of the components aren't extravagant (building and advertising tokens in particular), but I like the way the game overall looks (the "menu" themed player sheets are fantastic), plus the wooden tokens are great. It's so much fun grabbing a handful of :burger:

It seems super unforgiving. I brutalized a few of my neighbors at times in ways that feel more savage than war games or even other heavy Euros.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 6, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

I got to play FCM Tuesday and it owns bones. The components aren't extravagant but I like the way they look, plus the wooden tokens are great. It's so much fun grabbing a handful of :burger:

It seems super unforgiving. I brutalized a few of my neighbors at times in ways that feel more savage than war games or even other heavy Euros.
Welcome to splotter games! Antiquity has you gathering wood, but in order to gather wood, you need wood, and when you gather wood, you permanently cut down that area, which means that you have to keep expanding and well, your opponents are trying to expand too...

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, I know, but I got used to the way that 18xx looks and I don't mind it as much. The east anglia and Isle of Wight 18xx are ugly to me and I don't play them though. 1853 and 18OE are loving beautiful and I will fight anyone that doesn't agree, and the old Mayfair ones are pretty good looking too. You get used to the aesthetics.

Oh yeah, I'm not calling you out on it or anything it just made me chuckle. I have the second edition of 1860 and it's pretty ugly with the (useless) stock jump calculator mashed into the market and the miserable color choices on the board. There's a redraw on BGG that's more in line with the standard artwork and it's quite nice. Personally I'm not a fan of the realistic track in 1853 and the Mayfair 1830 but I can see why some people might like it. For me, art in boardgames is one of those things that's a secondary consideration at best.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

On the subject of prettiness, I just bought Great Battles of Alexander because it's going out of stock everywhere.

It includes this particularly thrilling map!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Add to the fact that it looks like a prototype and the price seems way too high. It may be worth it, but I'll never know.

It doesn't look like a prototype.

"I'll never play this amazing game because those chucklefucks didn't put grass on the board tiles" - stupid idiots itt.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

J/k I love you all.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh I'll definitely play it if I can, it looks very intriguing in terms of mechanism. Buying it is another consideration though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I can only imagine the reactions to Winsome games, which are actual prototypes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

cenotaph posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not calling you out on it or anything it just made me chuckle. I have the second edition of 1860 and it's pretty ugly with the (useless) stock jump calculator mashed into the market and the miserable color choices on the board. There's a redraw on BGG that's more in line with the standard artwork and it's quite nice. Personally I'm not a fan of the realistic track in 1853 and the Mayfair 1830 but I can see why some people might like it. For me, art in boardgames is one of those things that's a secondary consideration at best.
I played a P&P copy of 1889 someone had mounted and it looked amazing, I loved the minimalist design.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

cenotaph posted:

I can only imagine the reactions to Winsome games, which are actual prototypes.

And really good if you like heavy econ/train games. I wish someone would do an online implementation of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Thinking about traveling down the road of Dominion expansions. Which do I get first and how do I store it all in one box?