Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The fact that none of my goddamn superstitious assholes can complete a loving heroquest in King of Dragon Pass and that I somehow pissed off the Storm Bull causing me to lose war magic for years to come.

I just want to end the drought and feed the tribe. That's all I want to do. Why won't you cooperate? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My first BF3 matches with goons had me get auto balanced in the first minute.

Didn't play the game much after that, auto balance mechanics are loving stupid especially when you go into a game with a party.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So it's like TF2? Try to play with friends and first you have to find a server that isn't just playing Dust or 2fort endlessly. Then you have to struggle to get on the same team which almost never happens. Then just when you do, you get autobalanced to the losing team in the last ten seconds.

What boggles my mind is that it chose me, I wasn't exactly killing guys left and right. Actually this was how the round played out: Spawned next to a point, see nothing is happening and don't want to run to the next place, redeploy. Spawn on teammate and throw down an ammo pack, then throw down a claymore. Rush to a nearby point, get killed. Respawn, rush the point again and kill the guy who killed me. Die. Autobalanced onto the other team. So the game decided to help out the other team it'll pick the guy rocking a 0.3 kdr If nothing makes me want to grief my own team its being forcefully thrown onto the team.

Oh and whats even better: I decided to maybe go into the commander slot, so if nothing else I can continue helping my friends. Not only did the game put me on the other team, you cannot change teams as commander! Why? So I can't get good enemy intel and swap teams to tell my friends where the enemy is? You know, something I could do just playing commander on the enemy team and telling my friends through mumble whats up? So once again I'm forced to play on the team my friends aren't playing, yeah thats something I find especially fun.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

What boggles my mind is that it chose me, I wasn't exactly killing guys left and right.

Yeah it's kind of a joke like that. I was usually the worst on my team when I'd get autobalanced to the bad team. "Oh what this one team is dominating? Lets shove the shittiest player on to the other team, that'll give them a shot"

Destiny sort of does it too only instead of balancing it mid-match at the end if it decides one team was too good it just destroys the whole team so everyone is back to individual searching. Except if you're a six man team that's not a problem at all and has no impact on you. What's even dumber is that you can throw it so it just annoys the other people, and they do this a lot. Did a bunch of pubs start rolling your premade? Well time to just stand around spamming the dance emote so their team gets dissolved instead of fighting back to try and turn the battle.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

Yeah it's kind of a joke like that. I was usually the worst on my team when I'd get autobalanced to the bad team. "Oh what this one team is dominating? Lets shove the shittiest player on to the other team, that'll give them a shot"

Destiny sort of does it too only instead of balancing it mid-match at the end if it decides one team was too good it just destroys the whole team so everyone is back to individual searching. Except if you're a six man team that's not a problem at all and has no impact on you. What's even dumber is that you can throw it so it just annoys the other people, and they do this a lot. Did a bunch of pubs start rolling your premade? Well time to just stand around spamming the dance emote so their team gets dissolved instead of fighting back to try and turn the battle.

It also doesn't work most of the time, I've gotten tossed into absolute blow out matches right after the game says its breaking it up to find a better one.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Nuebot posted:

So it's like TF2? Try to play with friends and first you have to find a server that isn't just playing Dust or 2fort endlessly. Then you have to struggle to get on the same team which almost never happens. Then just when you do, you get autobalanced to the losing team in the last ten seconds.

Honestly the fact that, in team-based FPS's, the shittiest loving servers always attract the most people. Worst maps, worst mods, advertisements blaring through the HTML message of the day, the server auto-boots you if you have HTML MotD's turned off, low gravity, instant respawn, 32 players, etc. If you thought TF2 was bad, it's actually not even possible to have a vanilla Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory match without throwing a LAN party last time I checked. Play online and you get RPG mode (character level-ups are slower and saved through matches and server visits), neon fullbright jumpsuit skins, overpowered custom weapons, and 700 MB downloads of server-specific gimmick sound files that only the admins can play anyway. It's a loving nightmare.

Oh yeah, and if the game has an automatic server finding feature, the good gamemodes will dump you on a server with two players total and the lovely, overplayed ones will dump you on one of the servers I mentioned above. :argh:

BlueKingBar has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Feb 4, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alteisen posted:

It also doesn't work most of the time, I've gotten tossed into absolute blow out matches right after the game says its breaking it up to find a better one.

That will always be the worst part of the Destiny matchmaking for me. They really shouldn't let new people join a match that's been going on past a certain amount of points. It sucks to get shoved into a match where your team has 2000 points and the enemy team has 12000.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

BlueKingBar posted:

Honestly the fact that, in team-based FPS's, the shittiest loving servers always attract the most people. Worst maps, worst mods, advertisements blaring through the HTML message of the day, the server auto-boots you if you have HTML MotD's turned off, low gravity, instant respawn, 32 players, etc. If you thought TF2 was bad, it's actually not even possible to have a vanilla Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory match without throwing a LAN party last time I checked. Play online and you get RPG mode (character level-ups are slower and saved through matches and server visits), neon fullbright jumpsuit skins, overpowered custom weapons, and 700 MB downloads of server-specific gimmick sound files that only the admins can play anyway. It's a loving nightmare.

Oh yeah, and if the game has an automatic server finding feature, the good gamemodes will dump you on a server with two players total and the lovely, overplayed ones will dump you on one of the servers I mentioned above. :argh:

Hey, the goofy poo poo is the best. I fondly remember the Counter Strike matches of my youth. 4 in the morning, half drunk low gravity knives and grenades only. Good times.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
The art direction of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam is awesome. Both the real and paper world stuff is really well done, and at times you could even argue that AlphaDream did a better job of the papercraft aesthetic than Intelligent Systems has.

Not so much for the animations. Some paper characters have really bad animations; we're talking 'two-frame walk cycles' bad, almost to the point where you'd assume it's part of the aesthetic, since the paper characters do have sort of a flip-book thing going on. But it's not even all the paper characters: the Paper Toads and Paper Peach are really smooth, as are some enemies, but then you've got the janky ones. Paper Bowser gets it the worst, since his movements are pretty big and noticeable in general, but Paper Mario's choppy walk and idle animations are egregious, since he's there the whole loving game and his sprites and animations are clearly taken from the Paper games specifically (As are Bowser's, Peach's and Toad's).

It hurts even more since the real world characters are insanely well-animated, on the field you can barely even tell that Mario and Luigi are sprites and not character models, but then you've got the crap job of Paper Mario following on behind them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know if this technically counts as dragging the game down, but any time there's a game where you can get mods or addons/items like The Sims, or currently Cities: Skylines, I spend more time looking for and downloading said mods and items than playing the game, then the game takes forever to load because I have so many of them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
being spoiled for choice in mods is dragging a game down, and that game is Morrowind Simulator 2016

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I got Tomb Raider in a sale the other week and I was enjoying it enough up until the last level when Laura's bow decided to stop doing it's grapple thing. Now I'm stuck on a platform and I can't go forward or backward because of autosave so I guess I'll either have to restart the game or watch the ending on youtube. This is worse than if I just hadn't played the game at all.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Rare Collectable posted:

I got Tomb Raider in a sale the other week and I was enjoying it enough up until the last level when Laura's bow decided to stop doing it's grapple thing. Now I'm stuck on a platform and I can't go forward or backward because of autosave so I guess I'll either have to restart the game or watch the ending on youtube. This is worse than if I just hadn't played the game at all.

While probably just an actual glitch, this sounds like a great anti-piracy 'glitch' to throw in

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In pillars of eternity at the early game you gotta sell every piece of garbage you can to get money but by the late game all you need from a shopkeeper is camping supplies so your wizards can nap and dream their spells again. Also their stock literally never changes so every time I go buy 4 camping kits I gotta scroll down past twelve thousand "idiot cave-gnome spear/shield/trophy ears" that I sold him last week to find them at the bottom.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Krinkle posted:

In pillars of eternity at the early game you gotta sell every piece of garbage you can to get money but by the late game all you need from a shopkeeper is camping supplies so your wizards can nap and dream their spells again. Also their stock literally never changes so every time I go buy 4 camping kits I gotta scroll down past twelve thousand "idiot cave-gnome spear/shield/trophy ears" that I sold him last week to find them at the bottom.

I love the game and consider it a worthy inheritor of the genre but yeah, items get to be a pain in a hurry and it seems like items in lots of CRPGs (less true in Bethesda ones) kind of peter out and/or get flooded with shitloads of useless rubbish.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I'm playing through Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and the game is really good, except for some of the minigames. Most of them are at least okay, but the pollen-bouncing game in the Nose Deck is the some of the most sluggish, unresponsive poo poo I've played. It's really weird because the game oozes charm and the touch controls are very well implemented for the most part, and then this poo poo happens and it's terrible.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There is a section that requires extensive use of the DS mic and it loving sucks because the DS mic is garbage. That one part turns me off of BIS replays even though it really is one of my all-time favorite games.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

RyokoTK posted:

There is a section that requires extensive use of the DS mic and it loving sucks because the DS mic is garbage. That one part turns me off of BIS replays even though it really is one of my all-time favorite games.

Maybe they upgraded the mic for the 3DS, because I haven't had too much of a problem with it so far. Granted, the only use was for the GigaBowser fight against the flying castle, but it was pretty OK there.

The other problem is that the game is super unclear on where to go after Toad Town, because after losing the bug behind the wall in Bowser's body, and freeing the Koopa Troop, there's no hints on where to go. There's plenty of stuff to explore in the overworld with the Bros., but it all feels like stuff I'm supposed to do way later because the Bros. are getting killed in one hit by a lot of enemies, and all of them take forever to kill. It's really killed the pacing of the game when basic encounters take 5-10 minutes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inco posted:

Maybe they upgraded the mic for the 3DS, because I haven't had too much of a problem with it so far. Granted, the only use was for the GigaBowser fight against the flying castle, but it was pretty OK there.

Yeah I don't think you're at the part I'm referring to yet. I'm being vague for spoilers but it's the Giga Bowser fight against the train. The 3DS mic is the same hardware, I think, because I've played the game on DS and 3DS and it's just hellish either way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inco posted:

The other problem is that the game is super unclear on where to go after Toad Town, because after losing the bug behind the wall in Bowser's body, and freeing the Koopa Troop, there's no hints on where to go. There's plenty of stuff to explore in the overworld with the Bros., but it all feels like stuff I'm supposed to do way later because the Bros. are getting killed in one hit by a lot of enemies, and all of them take forever to kill. It's really killed the pacing of the game when basic encounters take 5-10 minutes.

You're supposed to still be playing as Bowser for one, there's an area on the overworld you have to get to that's got a huge button and a propeller in the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQx4UqCBQNI&t=1022s

Anyway, yeah enemies that Bowser just walks over on with no trouble are super strong for that point in the game in reality. And yeah, that one minigame is super bad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Krinkle posted:

It annoys me that you can filter by item type but all that does is grey out the other item types. If I select the Armour icon you should be only showing me the armour options!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rare Collectable posted:

Something like this happened to me with Arkham Knight for PS4. One of the last story missions has you fighting the villain in a tank, but his tank spawned outside the map you're supposed to be fighting in. No known fix, multiple reinstalls and save-reverts helped gently caress all. Paid full price for a game that is literally impossible to finish.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I love The Phantom Pain. But the more you love it, the more obsessed you become with its flaws.

-No multiple save files
-Many cutscenes are one time only
-Microtransaction based end game (With item development times being over 10 days)
-The enemy complexes are very small compared to the overworld.
-No weapon storehouses
-Can't remove your secondary and primary weapons
-Can't drop weapons
-Can't downgrade passive upgrades

Few of these can be fixed with mods but as a console player, it's little consolation.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

You're supposed to still be playing as Bowser for one, there's an area on the overworld you have to get to that's got a huge button and a propeller in the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQx4UqCBQNI&t=1022s

Anyway, yeah enemies that Bowser just walks over on with no trouble are super strong for that point in the game in reality. And yeah, that one minigame is super bad.

I figured out where to go: I missed the tiny raft in the bottom corner of the shoal. It's weird that the map doesn't give you an idea where you can move via raft, unlike the land portions, where screen transitions are clearly visible. All there was on the map was a single pixel-length line sticking out from the shoal's screen to let me know "hey, you can go this way".

Also gently caress the arcing shots that move through the top screen; the screen transition fucks my timing up every time. I wasn't having any problems with the game at all up until now, and it's just coming one after another.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

WaltherFeng posted:

-No multiple save files

I have a brother and we have similar taste in games, so one save file poo poo is annoying as hell wherever it pops up. It made sense with Pokemon on the Game Boy, but if I can download sixty gigs of uncompressed dirt textures then certainly I can spare another 40 megs for a second save.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I have a brother and we have similar taste in games, so one save file poo poo is annoying as hell wherever it pops up. It made sense with Pokemon on the Game Boy, but if I can download sixty gigs of uncompressed dirt textures then certainly I can spare another 40 megs for a second save.

Really trying to share like that can cause huge problems. Once a friend was playing some ARPG on my xbox and had no idea that the save game list re-ordered itself so the most recent save was on top. Meaning, of course, he kept saving his game to the 3rd one, casually overwriting all my saves as the list shuffled around to keep his most recent save at the top. :downs:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inco posted:

I figured out where to go: I missed the tiny raft in the bottom corner of the shoal. It's weird that the map doesn't give you an idea where you can move via raft, unlike the land portions, where screen transitions are clearly visible. All there was on the map was a single pixel-length line sticking out from the shoal's screen to let me know "hey, you can go this way".

All games should start with subtitles turned on and a DeadSpace style line to progress you can turn on whenever you want.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Most of the games I play would be ruined by a line guiding you through the level. Half the engagement of Doom is dealing with the environments of the maps and having to figure out how to approach a particular encounter yourself. The line would not only neuter the exploratory mechanic, but it would also compromise level design because the game would have to accommodate people who are too busy staring at the line to bother paying attention to the environment or the monsters. And there are numerous ways to subconsciously guide a player without painting a big loving line on the floor, like using lighting and color to draw the player's eye to a particular element in the scene.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Feb 5, 2016

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Woolie Wool posted:

Most of the games I play would be ruined by a line guiding you through the level. Half the engagement of Doom is dealing with the environments of the maps and having to figure out how to approach a particular encounter yourself. The line would not only neuter the exploratory mechanic, but it would also compromise level design because the game would have to accommodate people who are too busy staring at the line to bother paying attention to the environment or the monsters. And there are numerous ways to subconsciously guide a player without painting a big loving line on the floor, like using lighting and color to draw the player's eye to a particular element in the scene.

I give Valve a lot of poo poo for stuff like gameplay balance and the like, but they really know their poo poo when it comes to subtly directing the player's attention. Their multiplayer games aren't bad in this regard until they inevitably stick hats and weird, lovely balance updates into them, but the single player games thankfully go untouched outside of releasing custom content development tools.

I think their best example of this is their Portal 2 developer commentary, but most of their games (even the multiplayer ones, except for Dota 2) since Team Fortress 2 have this to some extent.

Here's the Portal 2 dev commentary in full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE7o8RMoQPw

I highly recommend skipping around it by going to the page and clicking the video timestamps at your leisure just to hear what sounds interesting if you don't want to watch 40 minutes of commentary. It's pretty awesome and quite a bit more thorough than their multiplayer stuff.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

BlueKingBar posted:

Here's the Portal 2 dev commentary in full:

What was portal going to be like before the testers complained there wasn't a portal gun hey what's with the no portal gun in the game called portal please give me the exact same game a second time?

What was portal going to be like before the testers complained there wasn't a portal gun?
"hey what's with the no portal gun in the game called portal please give me the exact same game a second time!" - A dumb person

kelly corner says: stinking with portals

e: made my post into a political cartoon to be clearer

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Feb 5, 2016

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I don't think you're at the part I'm referring to yet. I'm being vague for spoilers but it's the Giga Bowser fight against the train. The 3DS mic is the same hardware, I think, because I've played the game on DS and 3DS and it's just hellish either way.

For me having to use the microphone at all is a big thing that drags games down for me. I only play on my handheld if I'm traveling, or otherwise in public, and there's nothing more frustrating than being stonewalled in a game because I don't want to have to blow into/shout at my DS on a crowded bus.

I've never found a game that gives you an alternative either, you either look like a drat fool or you don't get to progress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krinkle posted:

What was portal going to be like before the testers complained there wasn't a portal gun hey what's with the no portal gun in the game called portal please give me the exact same game a second time?

I can't tell if you're the mythical gamer who wants games to radically shift genres when they make a sequel or you're making a joke about playtesters.

moosecow333 posted:

For me having to use the microphone at all is a big thing that drags games down for me. I only play on my handheld if I'm traveling, or otherwise in public, and there's nothing more frustrating than being stonewalled in a game because I don't want to have to blow into/shout at my DS on a crowded bus.

I've never found a game that gives you an alternative either, you either look like a drat fool or you don't get to progress.

Just rub your finger over the microphone.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

I've found that just rubbing on the mic hole usually works.

e: yeah, what that guy said

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

RareAcumen posted:

I can't tell if you're the mythical gamer who wants games to radically shift genres when they make a sequel or you're making a joke about playtesters.

All I know is, supposedly, it didn't have a portal gun. They were going to try something new. And then they didn't because playtesters complained.

It's nagged at me for years. What were they going to do? Why did it make them mad? because it wasn't exactly the same? or because it was too different? Would I be mad? I don't even get to know, now, because someone else got mad on my behalf and I kind of resent them.

It wouldn't bother me as much if I knew. What were they going to do instead?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Krinkle posted:

All I know is, supposedly, it didn't have a portal gun. They were going to try something new. And then they didn't because playtesters complained.

It's nagged at me for years. What were they going to do? Why did it make them mad? because it wasn't exactly the same? or because it was too different? Would I be mad? I don't even get to know, now, because someone else got mad on my behalf and I kind of resent them.

Probably portals but without the gun. Like, maybe Chell gets a glove that does the same thing.

Never give playtesters the benefit of the doubt on this poo poo. If they were complaining about a lack of a portal gun, it was probably the lack of a literal portal gun, rather than portal gun mechanics.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Portal 2 was originally going to use something called F Stop, and aside from the name and references to it being Portal 2's gimmick before they went back to portals, Valve's been tight-lipped about it.

Edit: Oh, and IIRC, Portal 2 was also originally completely focused on Cave Johnson and I think 70s Aperture, so not only were there no portals/portal gun, there were no other trappings of the first game.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Feb 5, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Without any of this extra information, you sounded like some insane person who was mad that a game did not throw out all the mechanics they used in the first game and turn it into another genre entirely. 'Oh, of course they went and made another hack-and-slash action game of the third God of War, why would I expect anything else!'

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

Portal 2 was originally going to use something called F Stop, and aside from the name and references to it being Portal 2's gimmick before they went back to portals, Valve's been tight-lipped about it.

Edit: Oh, and IIRC, Portal 2 was also originally completely focused on Cave Johnson and I think 70s Aperture, so not only were there no portals/portal gun, there were no other trappings of the first game.

Oh, right. I can almost smell the time travel mechanics on that one. Remember that joke Cave Johnson says in one of the early chambers about seeing your future self and letting that handsome devil go about his business?

F-stop, incidentally, is how far open a camera lens is. The further your lens is open, the lower the exposure time needs to be.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Krinkle posted:

probably find another digipen project and hire that whole team to make another game.

RareAcumen posted:

All games should start with subtitles turned on and a DeadSpace style line to progress you can turn on whenever you want.

i think a game should boot up the display options before it begins so you can tweak the experience to your preferences, and having an "i'm lost" button or detective vision/witcher senses that points the way is a crutch for level designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only time I've ever used one of those buttons was one time in bioshock infinite where I wanted to know which which was the wrong way to go, so I could get all the items that way in case I passed a one-way event, since that's what you do in games.