Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hayden. posted:

Isn't EQ sort of the opposite of a sandbox? There is literally zero player-made environmental objects.

In this parlance a "sandbox MMO" is one where you can do what you want and a lot of the 'content' is player-driven. That applies to EQ heavily, its one of the key games of that style. (Others include Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, EVE Online, etc.) as opposed to a "theme-park MMO" which the quintessential example is WoW, where the game tells you go here, do this quest, go there, talk to this guy, go to the next town, and all players generally get funneled along the same scripted experience. WoW started as being fairly sandbox, being an EQ clone, but it has transformed itself time and again into a very strong theme-park style and it now has almost none of the same kind of big, open world that EQ is famous for.

A lot of the 'story' of EQ is what happens to you; "We had a camp going in guk and then some guy trained all these mobs so I had to feign death..." and not everybody has the same experience. While in WoW the story is what the developers laid out for you, "we joined Thrall and did a quest to stop deathwing" etc. but the story is mostly the same for everybody, aside from which bosses you wiped on.

A sandbox mmo doesn't refer to something like Minecraft, which I would call a voxel game. Confusingly we've got Everquest Next and Everquest Landmark which are MMOs that allow you to do minecraft style building, so that sounds like a 'sandbox mmo' yeah. But the origin of the term came from before those types of games existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
There's a lot of MUD DNA in Everquest, which have the same sort of expectations of experiences being unique and based on the interactions of the participants, not being scripted by a developer.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Well the distinction is further confused by the fact that when UO and EQ were the only two real MMO's in existence, UO would get held up as the quintessential "sandbox" MMO while that newfangled "Everquest" game was much more soulless and linear. Now, even Everquest appears "sandbox" compared to the modern ultra-themepark model, while the original UO model just seems completely unheard of (what??? Non-instanced housing and full loot pvp?? But.. but... I might have a negative experience!)

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i wouldn't really compare UO and EQ except for their popularity around the same time. UO was (and still is on classic-style emulated servers) a fun PvP game: no levels, skill-point based system with a skill-point cap, where you might have your maximum of 100 hitpoints very easily and early on in the game, which doesn't stop someone from meleeing you or blasting you with spells for huge chunks of that HP just outside of town. where thieving players can stealth up to you, snoop your bag and steal anything but your spellbook right next to the bank, if you're not wary. it's fun and not for crybabies.

The Vision™ was good in UO for a time.

except a good percentage of people weren't into the extreme open-worldness of the game, the risk of PvP. it slowly changed from adding trammel - the no-pvp mirror dimension of the world - to slowly changing the game to compete with diablo2. Now the most populated servers are free, older era ones. funny.

EQ was something of a mess, even in this server's emulated most fun of eras, being a game where the fun was competitive level progression and item progression. the fun is what you make of it, because you're given this one static world, but you have to invent your own strategies, tactics, relationships with other people/groups/guilds -- and this being different at the solo level, grouping level, and mass-raiding level. it really looks like the developers and designers put things into the world and didn't really think too hard on how things like camps and bosses might be defeated, and left it up to the players. so as a PvE game EQ did shine for me (until luclin's horrible release).

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Can I petition to get a GM to port me out of PLane of fear?

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

lemonslol posted:

Can I petition to get a GM to port me out of PLane of fear?

what times do you play? I'll get naked on my wizard

also I'll try to port you out!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

a real jerk posted:

I'll get naked on my wizard

:heysexy:

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

pepito sanchez posted:

except a good percentage of people weren't into the extreme open-worldness of the game, the risk of PvP. it slowly changed from adding trammel - the no-pvp mirror dimension of the world - to slowly changing the game to compete with diablo2. Now the most populated servers are free, older era ones. funny.

It's weird to me that UO: Second Age isn't a more populated emu server since it's basically the p99 equivalent for old UO players. I've been on it for years casually, and currently they only pull maybe 150 people at prime time, and who knows how many of those are unique players. You can easily find space for small houses, which isn't necessarily bad, but you can ALSO relatively easily find space for larger houses and sometimes even towers just by wandering around enough. To me, that's a sign of an unhealthy UO server. If it could pull p99 numbers it would be so glorious :(

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

I tried a dozen times from 2000 through 2013 to get into Ultima Online and I could never, ever do it. EQ was weird enough but UO is like trying to play sports designed by an alien race.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i still have my murderers on UO:Forever but it's not second age era, it's uo:r. still fun but nothing beats the fun of playing a true tankmage. the account is there, and my little house, but i've been spending too much time on EQ :)

edit: and i'll add here that the only reason i didn't start playing on the newer second age server was because it WAS new, and i didn't want to invest time into another skill macro grind without knowing for sure if it was going to stay up or not for a good amount of time. now i kinda lost interest in the UO scene, but i'll always acknowledge it's the most fun pvp game i've played ;)

pepito sanchez fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 2, 2016

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Brother Friendship posted:

I tried a dozen times from 2000 through 2013 to get into Ultima Online and I could never, ever do it. EQ was weird enough but UO is like trying to play sports designed by an alien race.

way back, i tried getting an rl buddy into UO from EQ and he had the same reaction. he didn't like it 2d, and said it felt jittery walking. i guess you either like it or you don't. it's considered a fairly old game by now.

edit: kind of curious to know why you didn't like it? was it actually gameplay related?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

a real jerk posted:

what times do you play? I'll get naked on my wizard

also I'll try to port you out!

I'm on red :|

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

lemonslol posted:

Yep. Red wizard. Spectres might eat me alive at 49 though, haven't got IVU.

You could always scumbag CR - let corpse rot and petition it; staff will put the geared corpse in EC at the WFP zoneline.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

pepito sanchez posted:

and i'll add here that the only reason i didn't start playing on the newer second age server was because it WAS new, and i didn't want to invest time into another skill macro grind without knowing for sure if it was going to stay up or not for a good amount of time. now i kinda lost interest in the UO scene, but i'll always acknowledge it's the most fun pvp game i've played ;)

I hear that, UO:Second Age does seem to be pretty stable though, I believe it's been active for years now. Even with the low pop there are regular GM events and afaik little to none of the usual drama that brings down UO emus, I just wish it had a larger population so it didn't feel so lonely. I actually get sad when I'm killing balrons and nobody shows up and tries to gank me for hours at a time. Funny how UO can turn you masochistic like that.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

a real jerk posted:

Yep. Red wizard. Spectres might eat me alive at 49 though, haven't got IVU.

You could always scumbag CR - let corpse rot and petition it; staff will put the geared corpse in EC at the WFP zoneline.

I could do that, I don't want to make you lose EXP. What is your IGN and what times do you play? I haven't even logged in since I got stuck in fear.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

lemonslol posted:

I could do that, I don't want to make you lose EXP. What is your IGN and what times do you play? I haven't even logged in since I got stuck in fear.

I'm on now. /tell Live.Cowled to get my attention.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005

lemonslol posted:

Empire goes into Fear tomorrow(wednesday) around 2pm, give a consent to banksy/marilyn and ill see if i can drag you somewhere safe.and if online get you a rez. We kite 90% of the zone so won't be entirely clear until we kill CT again which might be thursday or next monday. If all else fails, die and get corpse summoned. Then I can rez your corpse(rez timer stays intact as long as you dont run it down)

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

pepito sanchez posted:

way back, i tried getting an rl buddy into UO from EQ and he had the same reaction. he didn't like it 2d, and said it felt jittery walking. i guess you either like it or you don't. it's considered a fairly old game by now.

edit: kind of curious to know why you didn't like it? was it actually gameplay related?

I literally couldn't understand how to play it, like when I tried to kill something I either couldn't catch or it a deer was more powerful than me. I did cut down a tree and make some chairs, which I put out on the street and sat on while asking people to buy them.

Then a naked man ran towards me and shouted 'Vas Flam', a giant fireball appeared and then he died. I uninstalled the game 20 minutes later.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

I literally couldn't understand how to play it, like when I tried to kill something I either couldn't catch or it a deer was more powerful than me. I did cut down a tree and make some chairs, which I put out on the street and sat on while asking people to buy them.

Then a naked man ran towards me and shouted 'Vas Flam', a giant fireball appeared and then he died. I uninstalled the game 20 minutes later.

Pretty standard first UO experience. UO gives no fucks about you.

Nah seriously I don't blame you I love UO but I'd never pretend it's easy to learn, or that it doesn't seem very lovely at first.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Red bros:
I think my guild thinks I am some sort of spy or something, I got on TS the other day and they were like " You spend time playing on your empire main", and then last night they would not give me the info for the Growth raid. I could leave, but I don't know where to. I am still level 46, and Empire wont take me till 60, all the drama on the forums let me think Friends won't actually let me raid or gear up, I don't know anything about Casual Scum.

I liked being in TD because I could usually find an EXP group, I don't want to stay if they are being this petty for no reason. What do.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Laugh at them over TS and remind them they're playing a video game and graduated from high school 15 years ago. They should cut the drama by getting over whatever baggage they've been hanging on to for so long.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 6, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
just tough it out and get to 60 without them, join empire when you're 60 and the game really begins.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

i'd like to get in on the goon guild, my highest char is Tolin, 18 necromancer. i also got a level 12 warrior Fawzi, I'm on Tolin right now. I'd like to get into this and play some more so if any of you have alts around that level and would help me try to get back into the flow of things I'd love that, p1999 seems like the perfect thing to do while I'm on my work laptop next to me and can semi-focus on something.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

that's hilarious and basically what any newbie sees. it's just a very strangely open game, specially on classic era servers. there's no sense of grouping like any modern mmo. the world is out to get you, even after joining a goon guild or whatever. but it offers a lot of things EQ and any other mmo can't. that feeling of constant immediate danger and risk vs. reward. competition between players, since all NPCs in UO are easy kills. and i always thought housing, as in placing houses on the actual game map was always something pretty awesome that few mmos kinda sorta not really tried to mimic.

pepito sanchez fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 8, 2016

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Telltolin posted:

i'd like to get in on the goon guild, my highest char is Tolin, 18 necromancer. i also got a level 12 warrior Fawzi, I'm on Tolin right now. I'd like to get into this and play some more so if any of you have alts around that level and would help me try to get back into the flow of things I'd love that, p1999 seems like the perfect thing to do while I'm on my work laptop next to me and can semi-focus on something.

from 16 up you can find AFK camps as a necro. i'm 53 now and constantly soloed and XPed semi-afk. i think 29-34 was the only time i really needed a bit of help, and duoed with a shaman in solA

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Telltolin posted:

i'd like to get in on the goon guild, my highest char is Tolin, 18 necromancer. i also got a level 12 warrior Fawzi,

Just do a /w all "unknown guild" and ask for an invite. Most the guys have officer status and can tag you.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 9, 2016

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

moolchaba posted:

Just do a /w all "unknown guild" and ask for an invite. Most the guys have officer status and can tag you.

Don't forget the quotes or it won't work!

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
secret raid plan on blue is tower of frozen shadow this weekend.

when: who knows

lots of good loots to be had in this barely-ever-contested dungeon. i'm def hoping for some stuff of the big boss on the seventh floor. maybe some skeleton keys for everyone if we get that lucky.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

pepito sanchez posted:

lots of good loots to be had in this barely-ever-contested dungeon. i'm def hoping for some stuff of the big boss on the seventh floor. maybe some skeleton keys for everyone if we get that lucky.

Unless we try this around 10EST this Friday, I'll be out of town through Sunday this weekend. Not a big deal unless you want to key straight up to Tserrina.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

pepito sanchez posted:

This sounds cool. If someone can stream it and save the vod, I'd appreciate it. I admittedly never touched Tower of Frozen Shadow in live way back when Velious came out. I was already 60 when it was released, so never had the real need to step foot in to Tower of Frozen Shadow. Would like to see what I missed!

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

pepito sanchez posted:

I'd love to get in on this, ToFS is high on my list of content I never touched on live. I'm on CET though so no clue how compatible our playtimes are. Got a 50 enchanter and 40 SK.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^

pepito sanchez posted:

My vote is for Sunday, I'll come on my 44 wiz.

Migz
Apr 27, 2006
So came back after not playing after 2 years and my acc is ban. Petitioned and I guess my acc was used to buy plat about a year ago :X..

Anyhow, thinking about rolling a sham. Any one have any newb gear sitting around they could toss my way?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I don't have any spare gear really, some other kind goons might. But I've got some spare plat and I don't mind powerleveling you a bit if you'd like. Also can port you around if needs be as my main's a druid.

At work now but later tonight, late Saturday or all day Sunday I'll be available. If you want post your char name when you roll him and some time you'll be online and I'll try to help you out a bit.

Migz
Apr 27, 2006
Cool thanks. I'll be on a lil today and most of Sunday.

For guild invite, character name: Jojim

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Migz posted:

So came back after not playing after 2 years and my acc is ban. Petitioned and I guess my acc was used to buy plat about a year ago :X..

Anyhow, thinking about rolling a sham. Any one have any newb gear sitting around they could toss my way?

Same thing happened to me after a 3 year hiatus. You should be able to get your account back... don't bump the petition thread or it goes back to the bottom.

If you're missing any gear that was sold and RMT'd away (happened to one of my characters) you can get that back too. Another petition and 4-6 weeks of waiting for that though.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

There's a spam filter in EC now? Was that implemented because of that arse spamming EC a bit back? Now I can't even wile the boredom away by chatting to people, great.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^

Meatgrinder posted:

There's a spam filter in EC now? Was that implemented because of that arse spamming EC a bit back? Now I can't even wile the boredom away by chatting to people, great.

Rogean: Accounts with characters under level 5 will now be subject to the following chat limits across all public channels:
2 Messages per 10 seconds.
Messages must be under 80 characters.
Messages must contain 70% Lowercase alphabet.
Rogean: All characters are subject to a one message per half-second limitation across all public channels.

That was what went live on Jan 31st, seems like if you're over level 5 as long as you're not trying to send faster than every half second you should be good? How quickly were you sending messages?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
yeah i have no real issue in EC. your mule is probably level 1.

so whenever anyone's down for some tower of frozen shadow let me know. at least getting the first level keys so we can move up faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Meatgrinder posted:

GG confirmed.