Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I didn't know this was a thing until I stopped by my home town for the first time in 3 years. Other parts of town they put in roundabouts, then I see green arrows, red arrows, yellow arrows, flashing yellow arrows. WTF do they mean? Danger to all on the road, imo, unless the state/nation standardizes how they are implemented.

E:

We got those all around town. At first, especially when it was only a few intersections, it was super confusing. Now that they are everywhere and people are used to them, they are great. No more sitting at a red arrow while there is no oncoming traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I didn't know this was a thing until I stopped by my home town for the first time in 3 years. Other parts of town they put in roundabouts, then I see green arrows, red arrows, yellow arrows, flashing yellow arrows. WTF do they mean? Danger to all on the road, imo, unless the state/nation standardizes how they are implemented.

E:
I don't understand how you can be so mistaken. There are five lights.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

i can see everything

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Yawgmoth posted:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

:golfclap:

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
And the icing on the cake is the red light cameras everywhere so you're not tempted to take a dangerous risk with your life when there is no oncoming traffic.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Traffic lights are a bolchevist menace

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Isaac posted:

Traffic lights are a bolchevist menace

Only the red ones.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don't let silly things like "lights" dictate where/when I can go somewhere

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
these guys are a riot lol

seriously I love those dumb rear end jokes :)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Red arrow: don't go this direction now

With a red arrow you can yield and go when safe on right hand turns, or one way left hand turns.

Also flashing red lights or red arrows are to be treated as stop signs.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
has anyone mentioned USB because gently caress USB, type A is probably the worst plug ever designed and it took until TYOOL 2015 to fix it

USB Type-C is cool it just took way too long and it's real dumb we still don't have reversible mini connectors (lightning supremacy)

wyoak fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 12, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

wyoak posted:

has anyone mentioned USB because gently caress USB, type A is probably the worst plug ever designed and it took until TYOOL 2015 to fix it

USB Type-C is cool it just took way too long and it's real dumb we still don't have reversible mini connectors (lightning supremacy)

Just a tiny little bevel, indent, or anything would have allowed us to skip the "three attempts to success" USB nightmare we are still living.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Knyteguy posted:

With a red arrow you can yield and go when safe on right hand turns, or one way left hand turns.

Also flashing red lights or red arrows are to be treated as stop signs.

Actually in most states a red arrow means "you can't move until this is green." In a small handful, you can treat them the same as a red ball, which is pointless and dumb.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Blistex posted:

Just a tiny little bevel, indent, or anything would have allowed us to skip the "three attempts to success" USB nightmare we are still living.

The best are cheap loving laptops that have the USB ports upside down so even the usb logo is useless for solving the paradox.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

wyoak posted:

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
USB3c is great as a connector but good luck finding consistency in power delivery from laptops. Also intelligent cables is such an anti consumer move.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Bad USB C cables can gently caress up power reporting and can destroy your device and your laptop at the same time.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The best are cheap loving laptops that have the USB ports upside down so even the usb logo is useless for solving the paradox.

I don't know if Lenovo made a special batch of thinkpads just for my school, but 1/2 of them have the usb on the right side of the thing up-side-down and on the left side right-side-up. Or vice versa.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
^ Hey guys have you seen this yet? ^

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Brosnan posted:

^ Hey guys have you seen this yet? ^

It's new to me! The image had to be posted three times before we could actually see it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Croc Monster posted:

It's new to me! The image had to be posted three times before we could actually see it.
:golfclap:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Paying at the pump at BP stations:
1) Select Card - Debit or Card - Credit
2) Insert card
3) "Is this card debit or credit?"

Argh!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Uthor posted:

2) Insert card

Argh!

Most machines let you swipe without selecting credit/debit and choose after swiping instead. Not sure about BP specifically, but try it next time. Doesn't excuse those horrible loving machines though. The UI is usually atrocious and confusing. I especially hate the gas pumps that beep at you incessantly when waiting for input or for no reason at all.

edit: Just realized "swiping" might be an out-of-date thing depending on where you're from.. :bahgawd:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Last Chance posted:

Most machines let you swipe without selecting credit/debit and choose after swiping instead. Not sure about BP specifically, but try it next time. Doesn't excuse those horrible loving machines though. The UI is usually atrocious and confusing. I especially hate the gas pumps that beep at you incessantly when waiting for input or for no reason at all.

edit: Just realized "swiping" might be an out-of-date thing depending on where you're from.. :bahgawd:

Do you want a car wash?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

Do you want a car wash?

I'm in IL. Chances are that it's raining or snowing or below freezing. There's only a few months of the year where it's better than 50/50 that it'd be okay to get a car wash. Stop asking!

naem
May 29, 2011

fliptophead posted:

And the icing on the cake is the red light cameras everywhere so you're not tempted to take a dangerous risk with your life when there is no oncoming traffic.

Camera tickets are a $400 ticket here

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

when i have a missed call notification on my iphone it will wait for me to open the call history to vibrate. like i caught it sleeping with a fishing magazine over its face and it wants to convince me it's doing a good job.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Uthor posted:

I'm in IL. Chances are that it's raining or snowing or below freezing. There's only a few months of the year where it's better than 50/50 that it'd be okay to get a car wash. Stop asking!

Do you want a car wash?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Node posted:

no, it is a urinal

looks like a water fountain...?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

wyoak posted:

As someone who grew up with PS/2 and other stupic connectors I can only say : :lol: You don't know how good you have it.

If you can not remember which way to plug in your USB you don't have any business beeing near a computer.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Uthor posted:

2) Insert card

Argh!

None of the petrol stations here in Australia let you pay at the pump :negative:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

wayne curr posted:

None of the petrol stations here in Australia let you pay at the pump :negative:

They do in Perth.

Not all of them, but most of the bigger ones.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Mobil used to have the CRIPS system which let you pay at the pump.

Then some loving genius decided to sell every single Mobil petrol station off because, although they were making tonnes of money, they weren't making enough tonnes of money.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
On a similar note ATMs which ask at the beginning if you want cash no receipt or cash with a receipt. If you select the former, at the end of the transaction it still loving asks if you want a receipt.

Hobo Pyro
Oct 17, 2010

Vitalis Jackson posted:

I concur with the OP; the design commonly used to plug wash basin drains has flaws. The best design is a rubber stopper with a chain.

I think that window screens are often poorly engineered. I refer to the ones that come with most modern double-hung windows; they are designed to compress to the left and pop out, right side first. However--for one reason or another--the compression amount is inadequate, and you have to use a screwdriver to pop out the right side, even after seating the left side in the channel. This seems poorly designed.

Love,
Vitalis

are you of any relation to richard ayoade by chance

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Uthor posted:

2) Insert card

Argh!

Sainsbury (A supermarket) has the worst designed self service tills. You scan all your items and press finished, you then get taken to a screen where you select how you're going to pay. If you insert your card at this point it pops up a huge warning telling you that you've inserted your card. You have to remove your card, OK that dialog and go back and select you want to Pay By Card. Of course I wanted to pay by card THAT'S WHY I INSERTED MY loving CARD IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Tesco was always fairly good and if you inserted your card it assumed you wanted to pay by card and just processed it but since they've got contactless it's become stupid as well. The payment screen has a few buttons on it, Card, Cash, Vouchers and 'Contactless' which is at the end of the list. If you press 'Card' the contactless symbol appears on the machine and you can present your card for contactless payment, it beeps like it does for a card reading. But what it's actually done is pop up a dialog telling you to go back to the payment screen and select Contactless. I've seen 4 people walk out without paying with this message on the screen because they think they've paid so they just take their shopping and leave.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Aramoro posted:

Sainsbury (A supermarket) has the worst designed self service tills. You scan all your items and press finished, you then get taken to a screen where you select how you're going to pay. If you insert your card at this point it pops up a huge warning telling you that you've inserted your card. You have to remove your card, OK that dialog and go back and select you want to Pay By Card. Of course I wanted to pay by card THAT'S WHY I INSERTED MY loving CARD IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Tesco was always fairly good and if you inserted your card it assumed you wanted to pay by card and just processed it but since they've got contactless it's become stupid as well. The payment screen has a few buttons on it, Card, Cash, Vouchers and 'Contactless' which is at the end of the list. If you press 'Card' the contactless symbol appears on the machine and you can present your card for contactless payment, it beeps like it does for a card reading. But what it's actually done is pop up a dialog telling you to go back to the payment screen and select Contactless. I've seen 4 people walk out without paying with this message on the screen because they think they've paid so they just take their shopping and leave.

Also, Sainsbury's not doing contactless period even though their card readers would be able to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I hate the chipped credit cards. Instead of pull out card, swipe, put back. It's pull out card, stick in card, wait, wait, wait for like a drat minute, put back. I assume there's a security benefit but from a usability perspective it's a huge step back.

• Locked thread