Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah performating or slicing up your throat isn't really great. Glass isn't necessarily toxic either, but you wouldn't want to gulp down shards of it.

Crazy enough people do eat glass and poo poo like that, but they usually chew it up a lot with their teeth. There was a whole 'eating lightbulbs' fad for awhile. And even then I wouldn't be surprised if you had all kinds of internal bleeding you didn't know about, not really a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
A fairly effective from of rat poison is just ground glass with an anticoagulant, often wafarin. All the same, as long as you aren't a haemophiliac or on stroke meds you should be fine, ish. Cant imagine what chewing glass would do to your teeth though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
For weird eating, the FoodforLouis channel used to be quite a thing. Seems to have deleted all his videos now, but the internet has them mirrored.

Eating a live giant scorpion http://youtu.be/gL6yCMpcNEA

Eating a live tarantula http://youtu.be/NjD6gok-Fsc

Eating 3 giant cockroaches http://youtu.be/BH2wXSUMmaw

And my personal ultimate nope of his:

Drinking 10 dead blended mice http://youtu.be/9u5eXYyla88

Parkingtigers has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Feb 5, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Parkingtigers posted:

For weird eating, the FoodforLouis channel used to be quite a thing. Seems to have deleted all his videos now, but the internet has them mirrored.

Eating a live giant scorpion http://youtu.be/gL6yCMpcNEA

Eating a live tarantula http://youtu.be/NjD6gok-Fsc

Eating 3 giant cockroaches http://youtu.be/BH2wXSUMmaw

This probably makes me sound like a dumb hippie but I just feel bad for the scorpion and tarantula. :smith:

(Nobody feels bad for the cockroaches though)

Especially the tarantula, which it looks like they stunned it with dry ice but it was still alive, and he bites off the legs first.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://i.imgur.com/z17O3gk.gifv

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hahahaha:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/05/local-campaigners-tory-councillor-plot-smear-portsmouth

Tory councillor accidentally sent details of 'smear plot' to intended targets

quote:

"A Tory councillor tried to persuade party colleagues to join him in a smear campaign against local domestic violence services and women’s rights campaigners, a leaked email shows.

Scott Harris, a Conservative member of Portsmouth council, wrote in the email that he had been compiling information on a number of political opponents operating in the city before council elections.

He singles out Aurora New Dawn, a local domestic violence support charity, and its chief executive, Shonagh Dillon, as well as a local chapter of the feminist group Sisters Uncut, who have been critical of council plans for drastic cuts to domestic violence services.

However, they and others named by Harris received the email after it was mistakenly sent out in a chain. The message says: “The elections are coming and the politics are dirty. The tricks by the Lib Dems, the lies and the smear are disgusting.

“Quite frankly it might be a good idea to play dirty this time. I know we shouldn’t go down to their gutter politics but should we continue to stand by and allow this to go on?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So it looks like the new iPhone update with brick your phone if the home button is damaged, or was previously repaired by a 3rd party.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

The most fascinating thing is how gosh darn furious are iPhone owners with this development, while going straight back to the Apple store to buy another.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Nitrox posted:

So it looks like the new iPhone update with brick your phone if the home button is damaged, or was previously repaired by a 3rd party.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

The most fascinating thing is how gosh darn furious are iPhone owners with this development, while going straight back to the Apple store to buy another.

I mean, to be fair, I stick with Android at this point mostly because every app I've purchased is associated with an Android account, and I really don't feel like re-buying them for Apple devices. I'd probably feel the same way if I'd started with an iPhone.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Nitrox posted:

drat, I work in a repair shop, and we've known for a while that if you replace the home button the fingerprint scanner will never work again. But this is a new one.

And sadly, the $260-$300 that Apple charges to swap out your iPhone is cheaper than the $450+ that you'd pay buying a full price phone from your carrier. Unless you swap to a Moto G or some other basic Android device.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SpacePig posted:

I mean, to be fair, I stick with Android at this point mostly because every app I've purchased is associated with an Android account, and I really don't feel like re-buying them for Apple devices. I'd probably feel the same way if I'd started with an iPhone.

Android is an operating system, not limited to a specific phone. You can swap your Samsung for Motorola in a heartbeat. All your app purchases will still be there, and so is your itunes account. Or maybe jump to an older iPhone that is more tolerant of 3rd party tinkering.

I don't buy Macintosh/Apple devices for personal use because the company continuously makes terrible decisions in how they treat the end user. Same goes for VAG products.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Make sure you listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6cNrBJiFU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nitrox posted:

This is related to ApplePay. Since the whole chain has to be validated to prevent fraud, there's no way to tell between someone repairing their screen through a third party using unsecured parts and someone trying to effect an mitm attack on TouchID.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zaphod42 posted:

It may not be poisonous but that still doesn't mean its 100% safe.

Getting some needles in your throat could seriously cause issues.

Please. The man is a professional.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Mulva posted:

This is related to ApplePay. Since the whole chain has to be validated to prevent fraud, there's no way to tell between someone repairing their screen through a third party using unsecured parts and someone trying to effect an mitm attack on TouchID.

Yup, this is actually a *good* thing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Nitrox posted:

*ticks off another reason to never buy Apple products*

First it started off with special proprietary hardware because they were all PowerPC based. Then it was non-replaceable iPhone/iPod batteries and using non-Apple branded accessories that may/may not work. Then laptops and desktops that couldn't be upgraded for more memory or storage. Hell, nobody can even get the OSX discs to build their own custom system and load the OS/drivers that way. What a loving joke.

vxsarin posted:

Yup, this is actually a *good* thing.

Still an unnecessary pain in the rear end aimed at directing people to Apple stores to get gouged on repairs and upsold a bunch of bullshit they don't want or need. If the problem is down to validation and parts, then Apple needs to harden the gently caress up, provide correct parts to other vendors outside its own stores, and/or fix its ApplePay garbage and quit being assholes.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Feb 5, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Please. The man is a professional.

It's not hard to be a professional idiot.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Ozz81 posted:

Still an unnecessary pain in the rear end aimed at directing people to Apple stores to get gouged on repairs and upsold a bunch of bullshit they don't want or need. If the problem is down to validation and parts, then Apple needs to harden the gently caress up, provide correct parts to other vendors outside its own stores, and/or fix its ApplePay garbage and quit being assholes.

You seem really angry about something you don't like or want. There is a lot of regulation involved around payment information. It's completely understandable why apple would want to control that.

I've never been upsold or gouged on something at the apple store. The 2 times I've had to go, they actually made hardware repairs for free, when they didn't have to. PItchforks are fun though!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ozz81 posted:

First it started off with special proprietary hardware because they were all PowerPC based. Then it was non-replaceable iPhone/iPod batteries and using non-Apple branded accessories that may/may not work. Then laptops and desktops that couldn't be upgraded for more memory or storage. Hell, nobody can even get the OSX discs to build their own custom system and load the OS/drivers that way. What a loving joke.

You can get the drat discs by walking into the apple store and downloading the update to a thumb drive. They asked what I was doing, I told them honestly, and they laughed along it was a creative solution to bringing the system in; I only lied by omission that it was for a hackintosh build.

Apple has been pretty great at customer service in all my anecdotes even if I don't prefer their ecosystem anymore.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Feb 5, 2016

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
iPhone batteries are widely considered to be an easy thing to replace, the only ding is that you need to buy a pentalobe screwdriver.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ozz81 posted:

There's literally no way to do that and still be in compliance with their bank agreements. Remember they are getting card present rates or better and this is a huge part of why. Don't be pissed at Apple for caring about security.

vvv Not really, what Magnuson-Moss actually says is that they can't cancel your warranty outright when you repair or modify a device with third party parts and they have to cover unmodified and original parts for the term of the warranty. However in this case this isn't happening, they are not refusing to repair your phone or canceling your warranty. They are simply disabling access to their licensed software as outlined in the EULA you agreed to when you purchased the phone. vvv

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Feb 5, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

vxsarin posted:

You seem really angry about something you don't like or want. There is a lot of regulation involved around payment information.

There's also a lot of regulation against requiring your products to be serviced by your company. Why does Apple get to use one set of regulations to justify not complying with another set?

Jesus. It's possible that car saved that first guy's life, because there's no way he was going to make that turn and would have wound bouncing down the hillside.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mulva posted:

There's literally no way to do that and still be in compliance with their bank agreements. Remember they are getting card present rates or better and this is a huge part of why. Don't be pissed at Apple for caring about security.
Pretty sure there'd be a way to shut off apple pay and not brick your entire phone.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
EDIT: loving beaten, drat. Not even worth keeping here, the convo has moved on.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
We need more Schadenfreude and less derail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uqZSwbMcfA

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Staryberry posted:

We need more Schadenfreude and less derail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uqZSwbMcfA

don't post scat videos

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ozz81 posted:

They're assholes about updates too. Ever since iOS9 your phone automatically downloads the update and pesters you every few hours to install it. You can't say no, you can only say later. So you have to go in and delete the downloaded file. Your phone instantly just redownloads it and resumes annoying you.

The worst part? iOS updates are the worst loving thing. Every time mine updates it just absolutely breaks the apple ID system. I don't know why but it refuses to let me log back in to my previous one, and it won't let you actually use your phone until you log in to an apple ID. So every update I have to make a new apple ID. Doesn't sound bad until their amazingly clever systems then just overwrite my old apple ID, the one it wouldn't let me log in to, with the new one which fucks with every single app I had used.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nuebot posted:

They're assholes about updates too. Ever since iOS9 your phone automatically downloads the update and pesters you every few hours to install it. You can't say no, you can only say later. So you have to go in and delete the downloaded file. Your phone instantly just redownloads it and resumes annoying you.

If it bothers you turn off automatic updates.

Christ, Apple does things wrong, but you not knowing how to use your device isn't one of them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Article released that criticizes Apple.

Did you like Apple Products Previously?
  • No: GET MAD.
  • Yes: Don't stress it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Roro posted:

Seriously?? Did any of you fuckers even watch the video? It's a joke, a guy is stood on train tracks and another guy on a motorcycle drives past him blaring a horn that sounds like a train horn.

I cannot believe somebody was probated over that.

E: The schadenfreude is me on not getting an obvious joke, isn't it?

It's labeled nms and is heavily implied to be a video of somebody dying. I don't think the fault in the mix-up lies with the people who didn't watch a potential snuff video to, you know, make sure it's a proper authentic snuff video, before reporting it.

Anyway, it was a 12 hour probation. Just like the guy in his video, he survived. ;)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nuebot posted:

The worst part? iOS updates are the worst loving thing. Every time mine updates it just absolutely breaks the apple ID system. I don't know why but it refuses to let me log back in to my previous one, and it won't let you actually use your phone until you log in to an apple ID. So every update I have to make a new apple ID. Doesn't sound bad until their amazingly clever systems then just overwrite my old apple ID, the one it wouldn't let me log in to, with the new one which fucks with every single app I had used.

The problem here isn't the OS, the hardware, or the carrier. I've had the same Apple ID, and a contiguous backup file of my phone since I first signed up with my release-week 3G. I've never had significant issues with iOS patches, other than making room for them when I was still on lowest-storage-option hardware.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I don't think the fault in the mix-up lies with the people who didn't watch a potential snuff video to, you know, make sure it's a proper authentic snuff video, before reporting it.

seriously? i haven't watched half the videos in this thread, but i'm pretty sure you'd get mad if i reported them based on my imagination

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:siren: :byodame: THE SCHADENFREUDE IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE THREAD :byodame: :siren:

e: not you dex, the whiny apple posts

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's labeled nms and is heavily implied to be a video of somebody dying. I don't think the fault in the mix-up lies with the people who didn't watch a potential snuff video to, you know, make sure it's a proper authentic snuff video, before reporting it.

Anyway, it was a 12 hour probation. Just like the guy in his video, he survived. ;)

Haha you trusted a goon to report something in good faith

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dex posted:

seriously? i haven't watched half the videos in this thread, but i'm pretty sure you'd get mad if i reported them based on my imagination

The thing is that it was clearly presented, by the person posting it, as something graphic that many people would not want to see. There was then surprise when people that don't want to watch snuff videos didn't watch a snuff video posted by somebody saying it was a snuff video.

e: I'm not saying I didn't make a mistake, I just don't think the reports should have been a surprise to you guys!

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

yo get tricked more

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NMS!!!

I love this gif so much

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra