Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

And within 10 minutes of that ending, we watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNdbdSCuC4

I watched most of this before I had to go to bed, it was like 3am and I was really sleepy and a little salty and I just couldn't handle it. I'm still not entirely unconvinced that it was all some kind of waking nightmare

EDIT: Also since it came up, if you want to own it for some inexplicable reason here is the Gex novelisation on amazon.com for your purchasing pleasure.

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not entirely sure what I watched. Was the armadillo having an orgasm during that one commercial break?

Is Bubsy's VA the nerd in Robot Chicken?

e: nope, Yakko from Animaniacs, I'm disappointed in him. Also, some people were hired to "promote" this thing, and haven't been tried at The Hague yet.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 29, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

And within 10 minutes of that ending, we watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNdbdSCuC4

Nine-gear-crow, I can honestly say that was the best episode of Bipsy I've ever seen.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
James Pond was cool. Well, the one I played was James Pond 2: Codename RoboCod. It was cool.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
That weird egg-forest dimension goes by a lot faster if you just ignore that dumb raft. If I remember right, I got through that part by just making sure to pull enough levers to make the water go away and then jumping very carefully around until I reached the end.

It's kind of funny though that you can activate the boss-encounter even if you haven't reached enough levers to fight on the ground. I can't even imagine how horrible that fight would be if you only had that raft protecting you from the insta-kill water. :shepface:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What could possibly go wrong?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

nine-gear crow posted:

:magical: Had no idea this existed! And you gotta love Wikipedia's classic understatement, "a television pilot was created for a Bubsy cartoon show based on the video game series, though it was not picked up to be turned into a full-fledged series." You don't say....

Almost feeline bad for interrupting Bubsychat, but....

Up All Night to Get Lucky, Let's Stream Symphony of the Night 02
"" "" 03

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'ma just leave this here.

(From this album)

powhawkins
Dec 13, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

How exactly do you "score" a playthrough?

Oh, they are scored by how many bases you can capture before you die. Right now I'm only counting bases, but we've considered adding a reward for radio towers too.

Also I forgot that update.

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iwfg6pTsRY
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkOO_M4p4l4
Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa_wEFWYrMg

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Well, that's the coolest thing I've seen in awhile!

End of the first stream. I'm definitely flagging, so the Coliseum doesn't go as well as it probably should....
Up All Night to Get Lucky, Let's Stream Symphony of the Night 04

And this is the first one of part 2 (worth watching if you've 1) never seen the Medusa Shield, or 2) want to see the Olrox fight when the guy playing is seriously not ready for it :sweatdrop: ).
"" "" 05

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Haven't watched any of this SotN LP yet, but out of curiosity, would a "Let's Break the poo poo out of SotN" LP be at all redundant to what you're doing good sir? I would like to do that at some future point and would like to know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHoFKaOeUU

SESSION 2: BUBS HARDER

i've had a little bit to tdrink and I'm posting this cuz it just finished rendering, blind sally says hi

e: drink jim beam maple whiskey it's good and tastes a little bit like butane but the maple syrupy flavor masks that just enough

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

e: drink jim beam maple whiskey it's good and tastes a little bit like butane but the maple syrupy flavor masks that just enough

That sounds like it wouldn't kill me, which is what I look for in willingly engaging in horrible ideas.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
This game is so bad the videos are hard to watch.
I understand that they were going for an iconic mascot character like Mario and Sonic, but those were good and inventive games first, mascots second.
I haven't tried the game myself, but god, there seems to be a lot of leaps of fate. That's just terrible level design, especially when everything is lethal. It also seems like the game could have been a little more tolerable if there was a health bar or something so that not everything is an insta-kill.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

kjetting posted:

It also seems like the game could have been a little more tolerable if there was a health bar or something so that not everything is an insta-kill.

Yeah, but then the game would be terrible and boring

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Instead of terrible and unplayable, you mean?

Both Sonic and Mario would have been much worse games without the rings and mushrooms giving you a second chance when you hit something.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kjetting posted:

Instead of terrible and unplayable, you mean?

Both Sonic and Mario would have been much worse games without the rings and mushrooms giving you a second chance when you hit something.

Both classic Sonic and Mario are good games, though. The only thing Bubsy has going for it is the inherent humor in dieing in the most stupid way possible over and over again.

Take that away and you just get a bland mascot game like thousand others.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

LogicalFallacy posted:

Haven't watched any of this SotN LP yet, but out of curiosity, would a "Let's Break the poo poo out of SotN" LP be at all redundant to what you're doing good sir?

Not at all! I know of most of the tricks and sequence breaks in SotN, but haven't done any of it. In fact, during the Christmas stream when this all started, one of the goons asked if I was going to do "the Coliseum skip," and I was like, "Uh... :sweatdrop: ".

In this part, I die horribly to Richter, but even more embarrassingly; don't chump Karasuman...
Up All Night to Get Lucky, Let's Stream Symphony of the Night 06

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I'm nowhere near good enough to do a bunch of the speed run tricks at this moment, though with save-states I should be able to get in some practice. Mostly I was thinking of demonstrating how to make this the absolute easiest Castlevania game ever. (early jewel knuckles on a luck run, effing sword brothers, Muramasa or whatever the ridiculously broken endgame sword is called)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

What can I say about Stanley? Well, he's not a great character for one. SMG characters in this game rarely are (I get surprised in a couple videos by that), but Stanley is slow, has a lovely slide distance/speed and seems somehow less accurate than Jesus. Using him is basically deciding you like playing this game on hard mode, and I don't want to play this game on hard mode if I can help it. We also get to see one of the secret missions in this video, it's pretty fun if not a bit of a navigational mess.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Carlotta Jacobs emiterius professor of expert Ichthyology Ornithology Birb First Edition.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

LogicalFallacy posted:

Mostly I was thinking of demonstrating how to make this the absolute easiest Castlevania game ever. (early jewel knuckles on a luck run, effing sword brothers, Muramasa or whatever the ridiculously broken endgame sword is called)

Ahh, yeah, that'd be cool. The goons did point me to the Jewel Knuckles, but I only used them to get past the Doppelganger without having to grind or spam Dark Metamorphosis (since I did the latter in the Christmas series and most of them already saw that, heh). But really, even if there is overlap with what you have in mind, this is the Casual thread, :justpost: !

I had to work extra today, so I just now got back home in time to post this update and start streaming (which'll be SOTN, so if you see this in the next, oh, 10 minutes to 2 hours :sweatdrop: , feel free to stop by).

This one is exploration stuff, and trying out the Gravity Boots and other things.
Up All Night to Get Lucky, Let's Stream Symphony of the Night 07

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

FeyerbrandX posted:

Professor Carlotta Jacobs emiterius professor of expert Ichthyology Ornithology Birb First Edition.

Speaking of whom...

I'm not one to pry into a man's personal affairs, CJacobs, but I am a little curious why you're posting the Bubsy videos in here instead of the megathread dedicated to garbage loving games no one likes. Seems like that would have been a better fit!

(Man, I forgot how garbage Bubsy really is. Or maybe I never fully understood the magnitude of its raw, unrelenting suck.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did post it there! Or at least, I advertised it there. But also I'm obligated to post it here since it's the laziest lp ever. I mean look at the most recent video, I didn't even bother to put the letterboxing on.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I did post it there! Or at least, I advertised it there. But also I'm obligated to post it here since it's the laziest lp ever. I mean look at the most recent video, I didn't even bother to put the letterboxing on.

Touché.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

It'll be a bit before I get around to doing SotN anyways. In case you hadn't noticed from the one video I've got up in this thread already, I have no clue what I'm doing and lack the LP skill or know-how at the moment to put out anything decent. Castlevania is a game I truly enjoyed as a kid, and I would actually want to give it the justice of some good quality videos. For the moment I just need to get off my lazy rear end and get put out some more awful videos of fun little flash games so I can figure out what I'm doing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Let's Play Blue Estate

https://youtu.be/LeT00XbvaRM

I'm an honorary member of the Federal Bureau of Procrastination. Applications welcome.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So yeah, this level feels really weak, tacked-on, and BALLS HARD. But it's got Tony!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

So yeah, this level feels really weak, tacked-on, and BALLS HARD. But it's got Tony!

Personally, I really like how it plays. It wasn't too tough, although I haven't played on crazytrain yet. The intro is certainly weak, but I really like the ending.

All in all, I really think this is one of those hidden gems. Anyone who likes arcadey shooters should pick this up!

Edit: The Hand Cannon™ really makes the level easy too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really? I admit I haven't made any conscious effort to get better at it, but after multiple playthroughs of all levels, this is the only one where I always die 3+ times on Abnormal. The shantytown and river sections are particularly bad - or rather, I'm particularly bad at them.

Hidden gem is right, though; it's an awesome game and the fact I almost passed it on just because the writer's got a Russian-sounding name feels pretty drat stupid in retrospect.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

It's been about a year since I finished my LP of the PC version, and now it's finally time to dive into what I actually think is the better version of the game.
So yeah, welcome to Star Wars - The Force Unleashed II, this time for Wii.
Because I originally thought this version would be bad (I mean, look at how horrible the Wii version of the first game is, courtesy of WeaponBoy), this is a blind playthrough, done in two sessions, with post-commentary.

Joining me in this first episode are Simply Simon, kalonZombie and nine-gear crow.

:siren:Warning, this episode contains spoilers for The Force Awakens:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxMcKiFkvBk

Dead Space 3 footage courtesy of CJacobs
Altman be praised!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I apologize for calling The Force Unleashed The Force Awakens non stop. I didn't even realize I was doing it in the moment.

I do not apologize for spoiling The Force Awakens within the first five minutes of the video, because everyone on the planet has seen it by now given how much loving money it's made at the box office :colbert:

Also, if I were thinking, I would have updated the Employee of the Month plaque with Palpy's real first name:

Because that's a thing now. His name is Sheev. Sheeeeeeeeeeeev. As if I didn't already have enough reasons to laugh at things related to Emperor Palpatine.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Road Redemption is basically Road Rash, if you were wondering. At some point I was going to do this as a side project on another LP, but decided against it because, well, you see a lot of the same stuff each time you play even with the randomly generated maps and challenge combinations. This makes it really fun to play, but not great for a series of videos. So while I was playing this last night I thought "hey, I bet the Casual thread would like this" and so recorded about 20 minutes of gameplay.

I think it's sort of impressive how far this came in the last year and a half when it was in early alpha, I made a video back then detailing the eight or so levels in the game then and now you have like three gangs and a cross country race with branching paths and much better graphics and optimization. Despite what I said in the earlier video, this is not made by ex-Road Rash people, just some fans who Kickstarted this project and have done a really good job of keeping people up to date on what they're doing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that bridge kick was sick as gently caress

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Just a quick LP of The Lost Vikings 2, created by Blizzard Entertainment. Yes, the Starcraft guys.

The version for the SNES, published by Interplay, is probably the least complete version of the game that I could possibly have picked. The game was re-released on multiple platforms (PC, PS1, Dreamcast) as Norse by Norsewest: The Return of the Lost Vikings by some company called Beam Software. Apparently, those versions had pre-rendered 3D graphics and voice acting from folks like Rob Paulsen and Jim Cummings. I've never dared a peek at the re-released version myself, given the general state of 3D graphics around the PS1 era, but it might be worth a look at some point.

But enough about that. We're sticking with the 16-bit era and the old-school cartoony graphics. This game does a decent job of talking for itself even without voice acting, so I'll be keeping my commentary pretty sparse.

Part 1
Part 2

Not sure on whether I'll be doing the first Lost Vikings game. It's being offered for free off of Blizzard's website, but the DOSBox emulator they used seems like it was really poorly optimized. Slowdown everywhere.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 11, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Really? I admit I haven't made any conscious effort to get better at it, but after multiple playthroughs of all levels, this is the only one where I always die 3+ times on Abnormal. The shantytown and river sections are particularly bad - or rather, I'm particularly bad at them.

Hidden gem is right, though; it's an awesome game and the fact I almost passed it on just because the writer's got a Russian-sounding name feels pretty drat stupid in retrospect.

That was my only run of Bloodshot, with no editing whatsoever. :shrug:

I think the river section really benefits from the player having the Hand Cannon™. Shantytown is sorta hit or miss on how effective it is. I think I got close to dying near the end of Shantytown, I haven't really bothered re-watching the footage since doing the subtitles.

It does help if you grew up on arcade games like Area 51 and Maximum Force (Which my local arcade has) :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXesL9le1s

Today I perform a truly herculean feat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Libluini posted:

Wow, zero progress? This must be some kind of record.

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know if you'll believe me or not, but this is made up for in the next session.

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXesL9le1s

Today I perform a truly herculean feat.

This is it, this is how he makes up for the zero progress level.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

LogicalFallacy posted:

In case you hadn't noticed from the one video I've got up in this thread already, I have no clue what I'm doing and lack the LP skill or know-how at the moment to put out anything decent.

Nope, hadn't even seen it, and it was like 2 posts above me. :doh: I'll take a look next time I've got some time, though!

And speaking of, time's been the issue here, had a really busy week last week. This closes out the second stream, I'll try to resume the update pace next time. Gotta remember to include the Heaven Swords get I grabbed with Shadowplay.

More exploration, but the chat leads me to stuff I'd never seen before, like going through the rock tunnel in the merman room with the animal forms. Who comes up with this stuff?!
Up All Night to Get Lucky, Let's Stream Symphony of the Night 08

And then it's time for everyone's favorite topless demon boss fight. I somehow manage to almost lose. :sweatdrop: Also, does anyone irrationally love certain weapons that mechanically aren't that great? The Estoc is very limited (it has two moves, one jumping and one on the ground), yet I have to use it at least a little bit.
"" "" 09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Trizophenie posted:

It's been about a year since I finished my LP of the PC version, and now it's finally time to dive into what I actually think is the better version of the game.
So yeah, welcome to Star Wars - The Force Unleashed II, this time for Wii.
Because I originally thought this version would be bad (I mean, look at how horrible the Wii version of the first game is, courtesy of WeaponBoy), this is a blind playthrough, done in two sessions, with post-commentary.

Joining me in this first episode are Simply Simon, kalonZombie and nine-gear crow.

:siren:Warning, this episode contains spoilers for The Force Awakens:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxMcKiFkvBk

Dead Space 3 footage courtesy of CJacobs
Altman be praised!

Having played through the PS3 version and even let's played it, I'm kind of wondering how this one will be.