Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zigmidge posted:

Anyone have experience with Matias switches they'd like to share? Massdrop has a mini up right now that looks neat. I'm interested in the clicky version.

I got the matias click switches in my Infinity keyboard kit. They're the closest thing I've used to the complicated white ALPS from my Omnikey Ultra. They're a little bit stiffer than the complicated whites but I like them a bit better than the cherry blues or greens because the click feels a little bit higher in the travel. They're similar in actuation force to cherry blues, though, so I still use greens for every day use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
So, there's these testers out there that'll let you try the difference between the different kinds of Cherry switches but I am more curious about the difference between Cherry, Topre, ALPS, Matias, etc. Does anyone know of testers that offer that?

I like my 'click' to be more at the top of the travel and I also do not want an audible click. Like I said in the past I like my current A1243 Apple Keyboard and I'm looking for such a typing experience (but better) in a mechanical keyboard.

(I've got a CM keyboard with Cherry browns at home and I really do not like them.)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

aerique posted:

So, there's these testers out there that'll let you try the difference between the different kinds of Cherry switches but I am more curious about the difference between Cherry, Topre, ALPS, Matias, etc. Does anyone know of testers that offer that?

I like my 'click' to be more at the top of the travel and I also do not want an audible click. Like I said in the past I like my current A1243 Apple Keyboard and I'm looking for such a typing experience (but better) in a mechanical keyboard.

(I've got a CM keyboard with Cherry browns at home and I really do not like them.)

It sounds like you are interested in the Topre life and oneness with cup rubber.

Sadly there are no decent testers but what you are describing is a Topre switch exactly.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

Sadly there are no decent testers but what you are describing is a Topre switch exactly.

Thanks, those will be the next I'll try out then!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

aerique posted:

Thanks, those will be the next I'll try out then!

ColHannibal posted:

It sounds like you are interested in the Topre life and oneness with cup rubber.

http://r.ebay.com/KEfg4K
http://r.ebay.com/MKQhUd

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I need these in my life.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ColHannibal posted:

I need these in my life.

I really want one of the stupid promo-style keycaps that says that stupid poo poo from the Realforce package

quote:

1. Tenkeyless Compact Keyboard.
2.Much better Operational Performance by Electrostatic Capacitive System.
3.No chattering over 30 million times.
4.Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber.
5.Enable to set 5 function by Dip-switch as described in bottom of package.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I really want one of the stupid promo-style keycaps that says that stupid poo poo from the Realforce package

I try to work it into all my posts about Topre.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I jumped on the varmilo massdrop, but need to offload one of my tex beetle's (One uses browns, the other blues) to offset the cost a bit. What's reasonable/going rate these days? They're in pretty decent shape, but completely stock otherwise. My weak-rear end google-fu is not much help in this area.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wasabi the J posted:

quote:

4.Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber.

that sounds like a condom ad

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you prefer the good feeling of oneness with 55g cup rubber or the good feeling of oneness with 45g cup rubber?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Spacebar on my Code tkl "sticks." Any advice on fixing this annoyance?

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

betterinsodapop posted:

Spacebar on my Code tkl "sticks." Any advice on fixing this annoyance?

Definitely caused by the switch itself? Contact cleaner (the type that doesnt melt plastic) first of all, thats taken care of all 4 sticky keys iver ever had

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Do you prefer the good feeling of oneness with 55g cup rubber or the good feeling of oneness with 45g cup rubber?

Heavier is better. I have a variable strength 86UB Real force, and the weaker 35g pinky keys are so soft sometimes you forget you're resting your finger on them and start typing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Finding a TKL that I like to replace the full-size on my gaming PC is proving to be surprisingly difficult. Ducky One TKL seems to be almost perfect, but not available yet. The Varmilo VA87MR is on Massdrop right now, but the combination I want (Black, MX Browns, White LED) is no longer available. Cooler Master Quick Fire Si looks nice, but is apparently not available, and there are too many stories and user reviews of the Quick Fire i talking about LEDs dying in short order for me to feel comfortable buying one. Could always get a CODE, but $150 is rather more than I want to spend, even if it does have the best backlit keys.

Anyone know if there any other options with MX Browns and white backlighting that I'm not aware of?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I ended up getting a CM Storm Quickfire TK with blue switches and I'm really liking it. My typing speed has gone down a little compared to my old membrane keyboard but I'm making way, waaay less typos and I expect that my typing speed will increase as I get used to it. It also just feels like a much higher quality product than my old board, pretty drat good for $60. :)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GokieKS posted:

Finding a TKL that I like to replace the full-size on my gaming PC is proving to be surprisingly difficult. Ducky One TKL seems to be almost perfect, but not available yet. The Varmilo VA87MR is on Massdrop right now, but the combination I want (Black, MX Browns, White LED) is no longer available. Cooler Master Quick Fire Si looks nice, but is apparently not available, and there are too many stories and user reviews of the Quick Fire i talking about LEDs dying in short order for me to feel comfortable buying one. Could always get a CODE, but $150 is rather more than I want to spend, even if it does have the best backlit keys.

Anyone know if there any other options with MX Browns and white backlighting that I'm not aware of?

The code is actually a good deal, you can't piece an equivalent together for less.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

ColHannibal posted:

The code is actually a good deal, you can't piece an equivalent together for less.

I have a full-size CODE (with MX Clears) for my workstation , and it's actually my favorite keyboard. But in this use case for my gaming PC, I have no need for any of the extraneous features of the CODE that I like (ability to switch to non-Windows layouts, media keys as an Fn layer, etc.) - literally all I need is the right switch type and white backlighting. And there are other options (the ones I listed) which offer that for quite a bit cheaper ($100-range instead of the $150 for the CODE), just not widely available.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my CODE w/clears is the absolute fuckin poo poo mates. I thought my WASD w/blues was nice but the clears poo poo all over it.

I got one of those PBT doubleshot sets from massdrop for the clears.. the positioning of the symbols isn't as good as the original set but the feel... god drat

I might have the best feeling keyboard on earth right now

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
But are you enjoying your feeling?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I am at oneness with the feeling of cup rubber.

Anyone know anything about dying plastics? I'm thinking about picking up another utron, but I'd like one with a black body and teal keys. Unfortunately, the keys aren't standard topre sizes, and I expect dying everything would be simpler than custom fabrication.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

leper khan posted:

I am at oneness with the feeling of cup rubber.

Anyone know anything about dying plastics? I'm thinking about picking up another utron, but I'd like one with a black body and teal keys. Unfortunately, the keys aren't standard topre sizes, and I expect dying everything would be simpler than custom fabrication.

need to use PBT keycaps and fabric dye. There should be some stuff on /r/mk about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HEY NONG MAN posted:

dude I am not the best typist in the world, but when I have a few beers in me and have a wee 420 then drat.. I just look at my monitor and pour my fingers onto my keyboard and out comes heaven. you have no idea

have not yet had a chance to type on this board under the influence of psychedelics. will report ASAP

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm with you 100%. I look forward to a similar situation when my granite set comes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Some good posts to hype me for my White Fox w/ Clears and Granite caps

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I have an IBM Model M keyboard, and after a recent cleaning, my F and B keys have become really sensitive. I barely have to put any pressure on the F key in order to get it to register, and far less than the amount of pressure required for the spring to buckle. Same deal with the B key, although slightly more force is needed for the press to register. Do I have to break it open and replace the springs or is there something else I can do? The springs when I look at it from the outside don't look like anythings wrong with them. I really like my keyboard, and I would hate to go out and have to get another one. Im thinking some debris might have gotten into the keypad or something like that.

Edit: Progress report: I managed to fix my F key, but now my B key is super-super sensitive, and when I press it, it acts like I pressed it a thousand times sometimes.

Progress report: B key slightly less broken now. Still wonky registering, but not enough to make typing impossible.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 8, 2016

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I got my Shine 5 in over the weekend and its great. Only complaint is the little feet are kind of short, I'd like it to be raised higher in the back. Anyone know if there's a taller piece I could pick up, or should I just stick something under there?

Also, shout out to Mechanicalkeyboards.com they responded to my email within five minutes and shipping was fast as hell. AND they had the best price I saw anywhere.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
Oh awesome, there's a tester on Massdrop that includes a Topre key: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cooler-master-switch-testerv2

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK all, I'm pretty much torn between something like the WASD CODE (or barebones to save cash) with Cherry clears or the NovaTouch, both in TKL. I'm interested in something I can use at work without driving everyone crazy. I'd like something with good tactile feedback and a very "clean" feel. I have a nice set of fancy SA keycaps coming from Massdrop, which I hear can help with the NovaTouch noise levels. However, the WASD barebones will save me about $43. For something I hope I can use for years, that's not a huge deal for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wish fill sized Topre keyboards weren't so drat expensive. I'd love one for work and I use the numpad just often enough that I'd really miss it.

I haven't actually had the opportunity to try Topre switches myself but everything I've read about them tells me I'd love them. Not sure what weight I'd prefer, though. I have a Leopold with MX Browns at home that feels good to me, but I might like heavier, too. Definitely no lighter.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Harrow posted:

I really wish fill sized Topre keyboards weren't so drat expensive. I'd love one for work and I use the numpad just often enough that I'd really miss it.

I haven't actually had the opportunity to try Topre switches myself but everything I've read about them tells me I'd love them. Not sure what weight I'd prefer, though. I have a Leopold with MX Browns at home that feels good to me, but I might like heavier, too. Definitely no lighter.

DO IT

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

But which weight? 45g, to match what I'm used to with my MX Browns? Or 55g, because any lighter than 45g would definitely be too late so maybe heavier would be better?

Decisions!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Harrow posted:

Get a Topre type heaven, $150 from Amazon.

Although rumor has it there is an rgb version in the works that will have mx stems which is a plus as the normal comes with cheap abs caps.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Harrow posted:

But which weight? 45g, to match what I'm used to with my MX Browns? Or 55g, because any lighter than 45g would definitely be too late so maybe heavier would be better?

Decisions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'd probably go with the 55g topre switches if it was me ordering one.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Im holding onto the dream Topre is converting all their boards to MX sliders so I can get a 55G realforce with mx sliders.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ColHannibal posted:

Im holding onto the dream Topre is converting all their boards to MX sliders so I can get a 55G realforce with mx sliders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVeZnsuY7Vc

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I would settle for the typeheaven with mx sliders which is a real possibility.

I wonder if I can convert my HHKB to 55..... Would need to find the domes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

I would settle for the typeheaven with mx sliders which is a real possibility.

I wonder if I can convert my HHKB to 55..... Would need to find the domes...

Yep. You will need a donor keyboard though. :(

• Locked thread