Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nitrox posted:

You should get rid of adblock in favor of Ublock, which is the original product that receives regular updates. AdBlock is taking advertiser's money by not blocking their ads. It's also a blatantly stolen piece of software

Ublock Origin is the one to have, it's made by the original Ublock developer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock#uBlock_Origin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

Ublock Origin is the one to have, it's made by the original Ublock developer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock#uBlock_Origin

I hope this isn't indicative of how the future of ad-blocking software will be. I hate the idea of having to download a new extension every couple of months because the old one got hijacked by or sold to nasties.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I hope this isn't indicative of how the future of ad-blocking software will be. I hate the idea of having to download a new extension every couple of months because the old one got hijacked by or sold to nasties.

In the future, we are likely going to be paying for the privilege of having an honest to god adblock service. The lull of money is too great for the developers, and the amount of money spent on internet advertising is going up across the board.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
On the same general topic, don't forget that even basic subscription-based tools can also be bought out. Lastpass was sold a little while ago, and the downtime that happened recently pushed me over the edge - multiple hours of downtime at their datacenter, and not a single peep from them until after it was fixed.

I was a premium subscriber for years, but just flat out gently caress you. I was already reeeeeally iffy about continuing to trust the tool, but combine that with no communication on something so mission critical being down? I spent the past day organizing keepass and deleted my lp account

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sentient Data posted:

On the same general topic, don't forget that even basic subscription-based tools can also be bought out. Lastpass was sold a little while ago, and the downtime that happened recently pushed me over the edge - multiple hours of downtime at their datacenter, and not a single peep from them until after it was fixed.

I was a premium subscriber for years, but just flat out gently caress you. I was already reeeeeally iffy about continuing to trust the tool, but combine that with no communication on something so mission critical being down? I spent the past day organizing keepass and deleted my lp account

But they have a new logo now! :downs:

I have a premium subscription currently, and when that runs out, I'm probably just going to switch to the built-in password service and bookmarks sync in Chrome.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

This Enrique meme is great :allears: I know an Enrique. I can't help but think of him in all this.

Where did it start/whats the story behind it? Been following the thread on and off and missed where it started.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Oxyclean posted:

Where did it start/whats the story behind it? Been following the thread on and off and missed where it started.

Sorry, I have a guy who keeps track of this kind of thing for me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Radio Help posted:

Agreed. I used to have pretty terrible TMJ, and occasionally I'd move my jaw wrong while chewing and hear an incredibly loud, disturbing crackling/tearing sound (which makes sense cuz your temporomandibular joint is right next to your ear canal), and it was basically exactly like the sound that they used in the Kit Kat bar commercials. So gross.

Hah i can do that on command.
Along with my double jointed thumb it freaks out a surprising amount of people.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hah i can do that on command.
Along with my double jointed thumb it freaks out a surprising amount of people.

:allears: please post a pic of this? I have this too apparently and its fun to see how many ways you can twist your thumb into.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oxyclean posted:

People were one-upping each other with increasingly snobbish remarks in a coffee discussion in, I think, the Life Hacks thread. I said something about having your manservant Enrique grind your beans. To this day, it remains the most memorable achievement in my life.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The ridiculously loud crunch noise used on Magnum ice cream adverts makes me feel ill. It's this horrible amplified sound, and it's always at the start of the advert so you can't skip through it quickly enough.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A guy used to eat cereal in his cube every morning at work. Like full on with milk, a ceramic bowl, and metal spoon.

I have no idea why, but that loving spoon scrapping the cereal bowl drove me loving batshit insane. To the point where I'd hear the initial scrapping and madly try to put on headphones.

<scrap scrap>

<sluuuuuurp>

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

davidspackage posted:

People were one-upping each other with increasingly snobbish remarks in a coffee discussion in, I think, the Life Hacks thread. I said something about having your manservant Enrique grind your beans. To this day, it remains the most memorable achievement in my life.

I thought it started in this thread

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah here you go

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686051&pagenumber=102

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Use the # below your avatar in that post to link directly to that post! Like this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686051&pagenumber=102#post447613680

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gently caress you I know how to use the internet, I don't need you Enriqueing my post.

I purposefully linked to the beginning of the page so readers could get the full context

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lol if you don't have Enrique explain his existence to you

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lol if you don't give Enrique enough walks and suitable amounts of playtime in between training sessions and also it's a dog

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Enrique gets the best belly rubs because he earned them!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The Enrique joke was never funny and certainly isn't now

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

malal posted:

Of course Carl's Jr. Had to be different a few years ago and had an add that was just the sound of a guy chewing for 30 seconds straight. It had subtitles so we could understand how much he loved eating. Bleeeeugh. It was one of the few times is actually turn the commercials off.
Being different and doing tgings they know will get people talking about the ads in a "no such thing as bad publicity" way is their whole schtick. That's why they did the Paris Hilton and and the one with a guy eating a burger to the tune of Death Angel - The Ultraviolence

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

AgentF posted:

Spoken like someone who's never had an Enrique.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Primetime posted:

That sound is the absolute worst. There was a kit-kat commercial a few months ago that played every single time you skipped a song on Pandora that was just an instrumental kit-kat jingle with the crunch at the end of every line. I started taking off my headphones every time I heard it start.

Itd be like if Campbell's made an ad of people just loudly slurping soup

Watch the "orapup" commercial.

It's supposed to be an ad for a dog toothbrush, instead it's an ad about reasons to be glad you have cats, not dogs.

At some point a dog literally eats poo poo out of a dirty nappy and that doesn't have remotely the effect on me that all the spine shuddering sounds have.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

AgentF posted:

Hold on I'll get Enrique to explain what "funny" means.

davidspackage posted:

I dunno dude, that LP was pretty rad.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
PUPPY
MONKEY
BABY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7uY36-LwA

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I understand what they're trying for here, really I do, but they might want a different "three awesome things" combo for an ad aimed at college aged men...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Use the # below your avatar in that post to link directly to that post! Like this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686051&pagenumber=102#post447613680

Or use the post ID to create a link that works regardless of how many posts per page you have it set to: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=447613680#post447613680.

(Either that or add &perpage=40 to your URL before the #)

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

This guy gets it.

davidspackage posted:

Congrats. Although, I worry for your well being now that you have peaked.

Anyway, on my way through San Jose, some place called like, the Diamond Store? has a billboard. It used to be some couple smooching, and the gender of both people was kind of ambiguous even though it was probably a man and women. If it was purposefully gender neutral, I thought that was kind of cool. Anyway, now it's a woman who looks like she's flipping you off with her bare ring finger. It's says, "she's tired of waiting." Oh please.

But at least something like getting married sort of warrants a very tough long lasting rock. Getting laid after the ho me game though?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This is the creepiest loving thing. And, er. Are puppies, monkeys and babies really three awesome things to young men in the minds of the ad makers? I suppose Titsfootballcar wouldn't be allowed to be shown before watershed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If they really wanted to appeal to the male college student group, they'd make RoofieSororityBong.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If twitter really does switch to an algorithm timeline instead of chronological that will be the dumbest marketing move ever because it will kill them off for good

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bast Relief posted:

This guy gets it.

Congrats. Although, I worry for your well being now that you have peaked.

Anyway, on my way through San Jose, some place called like, the Diamond Store? has a billboard. It used to be some couple smooching, and the gender of both people was kind of ambiguous even though it was probably a man and women. If it was purposefully gender neutral, I thought that was kind of cool. Anyway, now it's a woman who looks like she's flipping you off with her bare ring finger. It's says, "she's tired of waiting." Oh please.

But at least something like getting married sort of warrants a very tough long lasting rock. Getting laid after the ho me game though?

A local jewelry store in Atlanta has the same ad. Now they advertise a few rifle with every diamond purchase.

Since jewelry stores are mostly local (baring big chains like Shane Co., Jared, Kay, etc) they must borrow and share ad/promo ideas the same way radio stations do.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
There's a show that I'm seeing ads for on the Game Show Network about people who paint decorations on people's skin, competitively.

The title of the show is Skin Wars.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

sweeperbravo posted:

There's a show that I'm seeing ads for on the Game Show Network about people who paint decorations on people's skin, competitively.

The title of the show is Skin Wars.

Next up on the Game Show Network: Teams of sprinters duke it out to win tickets to a national-level track and field competition.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Don't know if this qualifies as dumb marketing, but it seems terribly unbelievable. As in, an incredibly unlikely conversation to occur in a group of men who only just met, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM4N81hA36Q

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Irrefutable proof that God is real, but he just loving left and isn't coming back. I'm pretty sure that thing just sucked the souls right out of those poor fellows and is leading their decaying husks through town in a macabre parade with it's horrifying cry of something almost resembling human language.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- a group of people got paid more than everyone in this thread makes in a year combined for this.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- a group of people got paid more than everyone in this thread makes in a year combined for this.

Sounds like the commercial is a huge success, we're still talking about it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's the :smug: excuse marketers always use as a rationalization for terrible work. If that were true then Alka-Seltzer's sales would have soared after their famous Spaghetti ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

That's the :smug: excuse marketers always use as a rationalization for terrible work. If that were true then Alka-Seltzer's sales would have soared after their famous Spaghetti ad.

We're basically letting an entire profession get away with the puppetmaster defence.