Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

In other news:

You know, using timg doesn't actually make your 40MB gif load quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This is fantastic and exactly how I foresee every invasion in BB going. But it always ends up more like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tm98wyZCAU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tiggum posted:

You know, using timg doesn't actually make your 40MB gif load quicker.

Or, you know, timg is to help with it being 1280x720 resolution and to not break tables.

Thanks for the helpful advice, though! :downs:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Imagine if you had to go through the rest of your life walking on slopes because you knew all that queued falling damage would hit you the moment you stepped on flat ground again.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That is horrifying. :gonk:

I wasn't kidding. I have been ejected from games for wearing Leather Cushion Baby. I keep trying to get someone to make a version of it that I can wear as an Airsoft mask.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Exit Strategy posted:

I wasn't kidding. I have been ejected from games for wearing Leather Cushion Baby. I keep trying to get someone to make a version of it that I can wear as an Airsoft mask.

I think the scariest part is you can't tell where the leather cushion buttons stop and the eyes begin. That's not even accounting for the whole facial structure looking like a dead baby mannequin. It's more disturbing than most horror movies I've seen.

So, uh, congratulations, I guess!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think the scariest part is you can't tell where the leather cushion buttons stop and the eyes begin. That's not even accounting for the whole facial structure looking like a dead baby mannequin. It's more disturbing than most horror movies I've seen.

So, uh, congratulations, I guess!

It's the mask from Brazil, a lot of their mask designss are more or less stolen lifted from pop culture with just enough changes to not get sued.

See also: their Shadow of the Colossus, Majora's Mask, and Pikachu masks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sleeveless posted:

It's the mask from Brazil, a lot of their mask designss are more or less stolen lifted from pop culture with just enough changes to not get sued.

See also: their Shadow of the Colossus, Majora's Mask, and Pikachu masks.

I haven't played Payday 2 but this is pretty sweet.

e: The Brazil mask also reminds me of Conrad from Berserk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

I mean, that's what making a reference to something is, so I don't know why you're saying "stolen".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Or, you know, timg is to help with it being 1280x720 resolution and to not break tables.

But it's still a 40MB gif. Why are you posting a 40MB gif? You can even embed gifv and webm in posts now, so there is even more reason to not embed 40MB gifs.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tiggum posted:

But it's still a 40MB gif. Why are you posting a 40MB gif? You can even embed gifv and webm in posts now, so there is even more reason to not embed 40MB gifs.

It's a gfycat video. It converts to .gif when you click on the "gif" button. There's a good chance it's not at all efficient.

Not sure why you're getting bent out of shape about this. :shrug: It's not the early 2000s, we don't need to tag threads with 56k modem warnings anymore.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 11:56 on Feb 5, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's a gfycat video. It converts to .gif when you click on the "gif" button. There's a good chance it's not at all efficient.

Not sure why you're getting bent out of shape about this. :shrug: It's not the early 2000s, we don't need to tag threads with 56k modem warnings anymore.

If people browse on a phone, large gifs eat up their mobile data plan. Just something to consider in case you've never had your connection throttled because you've reached your monthly limit of data, or hit with overage charges on your bill.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Plus, webms load a lot faster and look a lot smoother than gifs. It's just a good thing to do all around now, no need to get defensive.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

flatluigi posted:

Plus, webms load a lot faster and look a lot smoother than gifs. It's just a good thing to do all around now, no need to get defensive.

When you're responding to passive aggression, it's hard not to get defensive.

But still, noted and 40 MB .gif removed.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

I had The Doors on in my player and literally the second I clicked the video Morrison goes "C'mon, Baby, Light My Fire".

Would've been an infinitely better song choice for the mission.

Far Cry 4's token drug mission music was rad though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Missing Link posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Q-bWPETg0

Farcry 3 has the best Flamethrower mission
My favourite part about about that tbh honest is later in the game, if you read some random encyclopedia entry on the second Island, it mentions that "Only bad guys listen to dubstep".

Foreshadowing? Joke?

In any case, love the in-character encyclopedia in both 3 and 4. Wonder if Primal cry will have it~

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

timp posted:

LA Noire of all games has a flamethrower available in the last 5 minutes of the game and it's objectively terrible, probably the worst part of that flawed game (it happens to be one of my favorites but it definitely has its issues)

That being said I use it every time I get to that point anyways because

While the usable flamethrower in LA Noire is garbage, the game still comes out pretty great because of the importance flamethrowers have in the plot.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
In the final moments of the Last of Us, the game hands you a flamethrower when you confront some doctors who aren't exactly presented as enemies. I probably would have found a way to proceed without killing them, but I really wanted to use that flamethrower. It was a cool way to tempt the player to make a rash decision for the protagonist. At least, that's how I remember the ending.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

In the final moments of the Last of Us, the game hands you a flamethrower when you confront some doctors who aren't exactly presented as enemies. I probably would have found a way to proceed without killing them, but I really wanted to use that flamethrower. It was a cool way to tempt the player to make a rash decision for the protagonist. At least, that's how I remember the ending.

There is no way to not kill the doctors (at least the one who stands in your way) unless you just stop playing. It's not tempting the player, it's 100% what you're supposed to do and there is no way out of it. Also you get the flamethrower several hours earlier so I'm not sure what you mean there. Hated the ending of that game so much.

The best game flamethrower is in dragon's dogma, where you just light yourself on fire and cling to things like a cockroach from hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I spent a very long time looking for an alternative; it's the only thing possible to do in that room. I bet they even lock the door behind you. And after I had gone to the trouble of stealthing past all the soldiers, too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Payday 2 is really fun dressup just for this mask.
This is mine and a very early screenshot when I didn't have good patterns or colors

Had this bad boy for a while but then Bowie died and I had to retire it

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
In Star Wars galaxies there was an item called the reverse engineering tool. You could cram a bunch of space ship loot into it and it would pick the best attribute from each item and combine it into a new piece. On top of that the tool could be made from really good metals and give a small % bonus as well.

With top tier attributes(like extremely low weight) you could cram all kinds of ridiculous and op items onto the smallest ships in the game. It was such a cool and addicting loot system, that no one hardly knew about or played with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darkhand posted:

In Star Wars galaxies there was an item called the reverse engineering tool. You could cram a bunch of space ship loot into it and it would pick the best attribute from each item and combine it into a new piece. On top of that the tool could be made from really good metals and give a small % bonus as well.

With top tier attributes(like extremely low weight) you could cram all kinds of ridiculous and op items onto the smallest ships in the game. It was such a cool and addicting loot system, that no one hardly knew about or played with.

Oh god it's for the best I never played that game because I would have lost my life to Spaceship Atelier Crafting.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well clearly I have just never come across the games with good flamethrowers. Now I have a nice list, so thanks everybody.

Digirat posted:

The best game flamethrower is in dragon's dogma, where you just light yourself on fire and cling to things like a cockroach from hell.

Also how did I forget about this, I spent ages having fun with that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Dead Rising 2 had a really useful flamethrower you could build that, rather than spraying a stream of fire, would shoot little flaming balls that could ricochet off of objects and zombies. You could takes out dozens of zombies in one shot if you aimed into a big crowd.

And while not really useful Dead Rising 3 had a flamethrower called the Lust Cannon that was a mechanical dick + balls that could shoot either flames or ice, and Nick used it by holding it in front of his crotch and pelvic thrusting like crazy while fire shoots everywhere.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even though I main as a Magic Archer, I skipped Immolation for a long time.
Too long.

It's incredible.

Know how a hydra tries to eat you? Set yourself on fire and SHOW THEM THE MEANING OF PAIN.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
The ending of the last of us was one of the few game endings that completely ruined the entire experience for me. I'm actually in awe at the game developers for coming up with such a horrific car accident of an ending. With hind sight I feel like it's one of the greatest game trolls ever.

On topic in Diablo III in the adventure rifts they randomly have the last of us maps, complete with zombies, clickers, and the bloated guys. It's very cathartic to blast through them as quickly as possible and get to pretty much any content that isn't related to the last of us.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm pretty sure the D3 stuff is completely unrelated to Last of Us other than being zombies. Especially since it came out a year before that game.

Also Last of Us' ending is fine, it's just one of many pieces of media where the protagonist is a lovely person or makes awful decisions and people make the mistake of assuming they have to agree with everything the protag does just because they partially identify with them. Like Breaking Bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

flatluigi posted:

I'm pretty sure the D3 stuff is completely unrelated to Last of Us other than being zombies. Especially since it came out a year before that game.

Also Last of Us' ending is fine, it's just one of many pieces of media where the protagonist is a lovely person or makes awful decisions and people make the mistake of assuming they have to agree with everything the protag does just because they partially identify with them. Like Breaking Bad.

The PS4 version of D3 adds a bunch of Last of Us stuff to the Adventure mode.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Does it really? That's weird.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Are there equivalent cameo maps on other platforms? The Last of Us is actually a pretty solid choice for a Diablo 3 cameo, far better than when Shovel Knight just had to work with Kratos.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea one of the rifts tilesets is filled with last of us enemies.

Everyone hates it cause bloaters are so loving annoying.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You gonna supply screenshots or something to back this up?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Johnny Aztec posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/9/5795448/the-last-of-us-enemies-coming-to-diablo-3-reaper-of-souls

was the first thing i found

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-quJGIZs18

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
One of the best things in Game Dev Tycoon is that the game saves all of the niggling details about designing games for you, which you can choose to use or not in new games. Genre compatibility, system performance, which traits are good for which games, the whole shebang. Most games like this rely on you looking up some chart or guide (or make one yourself) when you start playing again; GDT acknowledges that the player figured out that Zombie Action games are good on the PC at some point, and will remind you of that when you replay the game in six months.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

MisterBibs posted:

One of the best things in Game Dev Tycoon is that the game saves all of the niggling details about designing games for you, which you can choose to use or not in new games. Genre compatibility, system performance, which traits are good for which games, the whole shebang. Most games like this rely on you looking up some chart or guide (or make one yourself) when you start playing again; GDT acknowledges that the player figured out that Zombie Action games are good on the PC at some point, and will remind you of that when you replay the game in six months.

Don't forget their Anti-pirating trick where they made it impossible to sell your game because everyone pirates it. The best payoff was seeing people post on the forums: I can't make any money because people pirate my game?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Wanting to agree with what he does, where he instead does something incredibly goddamn terrible and stupid, is only a small part of it. The bigger problem is that it leaves the ending incredibly unsatisfying. Nothing meaningful changes over the course of the whole game, and thats pretty much entirely to blame due to the last hour of the game. There's a decent buildup over the course of the game that suddenly falls flat and feels hollow at the end.

Back to little things, the character creator in dragon's dogma is still one of the best things about it. When I got the PC version I randomly bumped into these guys before I had seen even 10 pawns.

I also hired literal teddy roosevelt at the end of one of my playthroughs on PS3 and he destroyed everything with meteors so I am jonesing to get him back on the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
oldie but goodie
Xwing Vs Tie fighter Including, hell especially in the expansions campaign, it is super loving easy to kill a star destroyer if you do it right. Nothing like feeling like a badass when you see mission results, Two Star Destroyer kills :black101: