Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I appreciate how much people think of me in various threads even if I don't post or comment on anything.

All the speculation about how I spend my free time when not posting on D&D is slightly disturbing, but I guess that's just how nerds go about their business...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
When I grow up, I wanna be like unca Ligur!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

When I grow up, I wanna be like unca Ligur!

You already are.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
We Daily Fail famous nau :v:

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rexroom posted:

Great argument. Really convincing.

Here's some food for thought on the whole Caruna thing. Basically the article points out that the pressure to push the prices to the maximum set by the Energy Bureau probably comes from foreign investors wanting to get their money in the short term rather than, say, 20 years, since they invested quite a lot for it.

And of course Juha Sipilä should be mad, because this affects his voters wallets in a drastic manner. He'd be mad not to be mad. :v:

Maybe read the post after his next time. The prices are pushed to the maximum (well, profits are) by everyone, Finnish governmental players and foreign privatized players. The article is just stupid. Of course everyone wants a higher return. The point is that the return is capped by the government. When people bought Caruna, they knew this. All the power companies aim for the maximum allowed return, regardless of who owns them. It has absolutely 0 to do with then being privately or foreign owned. The government allowed higher profits for a while to encourage further investment. Both Caruna and Finnish companies responded to these incentives. Caruna hiked prices more, so they presumably invested more as well. The profit they're allowed to make is also proportionate to investment as it's measured by return on capital. If it was a private sector thing, Elenia, another power network operator (owned by freaking Goldman Sachs instead of a Canadian pension fund), would also be under fire.

It really is ridiculous how low the level of general understanding around this issue seems to be. Normally you have people here who understand at least some basic concepts around the issue. Now it's like I'm talking to 10 SnowblindFatals.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Maybe read the post after his next time. The prices are pushed to the maximum (well, profits are) by everyone, Finnish governmental players and foreign privatized players. The article is just stupid. Of course everyone wants a higher return. The point is that the return is capped by the government. When people bought Caruna, they knew this. All the power companies aim for the maximum allowed return, regardless of who owns them. It has absolutely 0 to do with then being privately or foreign owned. The government allowed higher profits for a while to encourage further investment. Both Caruna and Finnish companies responded to these incentives. Caruna hiked prices more, so they presumably invested more as well. The profit they're allowed to make is also proportionate to investment as it's measured by return on capital. If it was a private sector thing, Elenia, another power network operator (owned by freaking Goldman Sachs instead of a Canadian pension fund), would also be under fire.

It really is ridiculous how low the level of general understanding around this issue seems to be. Normally you have people here who understand at least some basic concepts around the issue. Now it's like I'm talking to 10 SnowblindFatals.

I think we have an agreement over that companies play for profits. The problem is that Caruna is a sähkösiirtoyhtiö, who you can't switch to another competitor like in any free market utopia, because they own the electricity grid in the region. So as a consumer you're getting a pretty raw deal. Why Fortum/government thought it was worth the risk to create a private company with a natural monopoly is anyone's guess, but it should be pretty apparent now why privatizing infrastructure is problematic, to say the least.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
We should privatize Kehä 1 and let the free market solve the traffic problems.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

jos maahanmuutto-ongelmaa ei saada kuriin ja kyttiksiä ja paskalakkien virkoja lakkautetaan jatkuvasti, katunatsiryhmien määrä tulee kasvamaan

ja yksityiset turvafirmat hyötyy kanssa, nyt jo löytyy julkisia tiloja joissa kyttien hommat on ulkoistettu niille

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rexroom posted:

I think we have an agreement over that companies play for profits. The problem is that Caruna is a sähkösiirtoyhtiö, who you can't switch to another competitor like in any free market utopia, because they own the electricity grid in the region. So as a consumer you're getting a pretty raw deal. Why Fortum/government thought it was worth the risk to create a private company with a natural monopoly is anyone's guess, but it should be pretty apparent now why privatizing infrastructure is problematic, to say the least.

As I mentioned 3 times in the post you quoted and many more in this thread, the government has, by law, restricted the profits these companies are allowed to make... And that the system seems to be working fine for other privatized operators in the same field, and that public operators also increase prices when they make investments.
Pretty basic.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.hs.fi/m/talous/a1379664130915

Lol. The date on the article. In 2013 it was clear that prices would rise because of investments, privatization or not.

Amazing how difficult this is to understand.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Geriatric Pirate posted:

As I mentioned 3 times in the post you quoted and many more in this thread, the government has, by law, restricted the profits these companies are allowed to make... And that the system seems to be working fine for other privatized operators in the same field, and that public operators also increase prices when they make investments.
Pretty basic.

Indeed they diddley-do. Caruna only decided to put the price hike to the maximum allowed, which is - at worst - a 27% increase. They're saying this is for financing the electric grid conversion work to a buried ground cable, but one could argue they could've gone another route, like Pohjois Karjalan Sähkö, who are upgrading theirs when need be, rather than all-at-once, which would mean replacing parts that are nowhere near their end-of-use period.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Couldn't have said it better.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

Geriatric Pirate posted:

http://www.hs.fi/m/talous/a1379664130915

Lol. The date on the article. In 2013 it was clear that prices would rise because of investments, privatization or not.

that news article also states that 2/3 fortum's power grid is already good enough for the new standards? :confused:

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

http://m.taloussanomat.fi/energia/2016/02/05/elenia-maksaa-voitoistaan-veroja-viela-carunaakin-vahemman/20161380/12

It's not hard to understand why you would raise prices to invest, but it is hard to understand how these arrangements are acceptable for socially critical monopolies.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Paavo Väyrynen just had his press conference. His new Citizen Party is taking influences from the British parliamentary system. As a weird quirk, you can be a member of another political party as well. The party's first and foremost agenda is to exit from the euro currency. Along that comes the core values of the Center Party's conservative wing, you know, Paasikivi policy and all that.

Also, Paavo Väyrynen might have retreated from the core Center Party political machine, but he's still a member due to a technicality in the rules that doesn't forbid dual membership. :v:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2016020521072644_uu.shtml

quote:

Väyrynen lyttää Vennamo-vertauksen - "Koen olevani pikemminkin Urho Kekkonen"

Magical. Just, wunderbar.

I have sneaking suspicion that Sipilä will just give him some kunniavirka to massage his ego and that will be that but let's fear for the best and hope for the worst.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Puistokemisti posted:

I have sneaking suspicion that Sipilä will just give him some kunniavirka to massage his ego and that will be that but let's fear for the best and hope for the worst.

Well, he was up to now an "honorary chairman" of CP, so I doubt that'll placate Väyrynen anymore. He wants Finland out of the euro, and that's that.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Rexroom posted:

Well, he was up to now an "honorary chairman" of CP, so I doubt that'll placate Väyrynen anymore. He wants Finland out of the euro, and that's that.
Well, he wants to be a minister, and that's that.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Well, he wants to be a minister, and that's that.

Well, yeah. That's one way to get there. :v:

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

Good interview with Markku Kuisma: http://www.uusisuomi.fi/kotimaa/170832-professori-markku-kuisma-aimana-suomi-teki-taas-digitat-miksi-poliitikot-myivat

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I might just vote for pikemminkin Kekkonen. He has promised to save mankind with ihmiskuntapolitiikka and is now revolutionizing the party system. :derp:

The cult of personality is too strong, send help.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
all the parties are poo poo so i'd vote kekkonen just for shits and giggles

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I'll film out a kannattajakortti in the hopes that his bluff fails and he'll have to run. IF he steals votes from Kepu, even better.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Nobody here is making any sense except me and Heikki Pursiainen :qq:

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mulli posted:

that news article also states that 2/3 fortum's power grid is already good enough for the new standards? :confused:

Which leaves 1/3rd? I'm not a power network expert, so I can't comment except to say that if the problem is that they overinvested, then that's not something thats been brought up on this thread or the media until the post before yours. Everyone is just crying about thr tax arrangements (which is dumb because it would be reflected in purchase price for a tax free investor) and price increases. No "god drat foreigners buying our power grid and over investing in it". And to be honest, had they not invested and there was another big storm, the same goons crying about investments here would be crying about how we let the drat forriners buy our power grid and not invest in it, leading to power cuts. Same goons would be crying either way.

I mean the whole thing is just a ridiculous whinefest, which seems to be why people like Markku Kuisma are the people being cited instead of the normal economics commentariat or energy economists. The price hikes are basically meaningless for most people, it's companies who are hit the hardest since they consume much more power than anyone else yet of course goons do the whole "this is terrible for the poor" :qq:ing. The tax argument is easy to counter by just noting that the tax is probably reflected in the purchasing price. And people seem to be completely ignoring that the push to invest started from the government jn the first place, they allowed companies to make higher profits to encourage investment and forced them to do at least some investments.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
At this point I'm convinced that Geriatric Pirate is either himself, or has someone related to him that is, in the upper management of whatever the gently caress that energy company was called.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

Geriatric Pirate posted:

And people seem to be completely ignoring that the push to invest started from the government jn the first place, they allowed companies to make higher profits to encourage investment and forced them to do at least some investments.
I also think stricter goverment control would be in order.

Anyways, PK-S's plan seems more sound and Caruna just comes off greedy they way they're doing it.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The price hikes are basically meaningless for most people
I can assure you they're not. It just feels bullshit that I have no choice but to pay the higher prices unless I want to be completely without electricity.

Terveisin,

Carunan asiakas

Golden Gate Bride fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 5, 2016

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

But why would one sell these assets in the first place? It's a valid question that you don't get to dodge by pretending that you have some uniquely pure understanding of corporate finance.

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

Markku Kuisma posted:

Meillä on pankkitileillä 80 miljardia euroa, jotka kaipaisivat nollakoron sijaan 2–3 prosentin tuottoa, hän sanoo.

– Mikä olisi parempi areena niin sanotulle kansankapitalismille? Kansa saisi sijoittaa ja saisi pientä tasaista tuottoa, kyseessä ei olisi riskisijoitus, ja se raha pyörisi tässä kansantaloudessa. Miksi me ruokitaan tällaisella setelikoneella muita?

Ok. To me that sounds like a good point. But maybe I am brainwashed by MSM because I am citing Markku Kuisma and normal economics commentariat of energy economists. What are they saying?

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

And yes, everyone understands that companies are being hit just as well as consumers. Why are you trying to perpetuate this idiotic false dilemma? If we are so stupid, don't obfuscate - educate.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

it's not going to get any better, is it?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pussy Noise posted:

But why would one sell these assets in the first place? It's a valid question that you don't get to dodge by pretending that you have some uniquely pure understanding of corporate finance.

If you're asking why they were sold, that was a purely corporate decision by Fortum, probably to free up cash for productive investments and avoid the reinvestment. If it's a more general why doesn't the government run everything, probably because the evidence suggests that private sector efficiency gains combined with strong regulation is an ideal model for situations like this one.

The "bank savings" thing is also just dumb populism. Firstly, our money doesn't just sit in our bank accounts, it's loaned out which helps the economy. Secondly, people might prefer a bank account where they can take their money out at any time, have lower risk, avoid huge capital calls and in general not be invested into things we don't really have any expertise in managing. That being said, our (professionally managed) pension funds are minority partners in many of these, but these guys know their liquidity needs a bit better than Kuisma knows the liquidity needs of our general population. If there was a case for people putting their savings into this outside of their pensions, they could have invested in one of the funds involved here or in Elenia or someone could have organized them pooling their money for this. Ok, not that realistic, but the fact is people keep their money in their bank accounts instead of investing in many funds which are perfectly investable which invest in situations like this.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Oh yes, private sector is so much more efficient with monopolies than public. Must be all that competition forcing them to improve quality and lower prices. The invisible hand saves us once more.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Puistokemisti posted:

Oh yes, private sector is so much more efficient with monopolies than public. Must be all that competition forcing them to improve quality and lower prices. The invisible hand saves us once more.

Mountains of evidence suggest the private sector gets better quality per € spent on the production side. On the market/selling side, regulation caps prices, including in this case.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Mountains of evidence suggest the private sector gets better quality per € spent on the production side. On the market/selling side, regulation caps prices, including in this case.

Yeah that's complete horseshit, isn't it. The "efficiency" comes from screwing over the workers, the environment and pretty much anyone else who isn't a shareholder. I don't give a flying gently caress what some fat corporate rear end in a top hat is making or if his shares just went up by 10%. I do care if our planet will be still here in 20 years time. All essential utilities and transport sector companies should be owned by the public sector. gently caress the profit motive if it comes at the expense of other workers and the environment.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
BTW, did any of you plan to go to some kind of "pro-rape" happening that was cancelled at the last minute? Just curious.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Did you look for us there, disappointed? Sorry, LOLdiers were expected to assault the place so it was moved to your moms bedroom.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

doverhog posted:

Did you look for us there, disappointed? Sorry, LOLdiers were expected to assault the place so it was moved to your moms bedroom.

Nice try, but "your moms bedroom" isn't the keyphrase.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
gently caress you for linking to nyt

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Everyone is just crying about thr tax arrangements (which is dumb because it would be reflected in purchase price for a tax free investor)

Out of all the neolib 101 talking points, this is the most retarded. No, when a foreign tax-avoiding corporation buys a national asset, they don't include 60 years of lost-to-the-goverment tax income in the deal.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The price hikes are basically meaningless for most people

30% price increase to something you can't do without is not meaningless. Are you one of those people who have no idea what a carton of milk costs because you have your butlers and servants do all of the shopping for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Darkest Auer posted:

30% price increase to something you can't do without is not meaningless.

Sure, but the choice was between paying it to the company via increased prices or paying it to the state via increased taxes. I know you won't be satisfied until your rectum is filled with taxes, so there's nothing to discuss about whether one of those would've been better than other.

How often do you shine your golden ring, by the way?