Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

timp posted:

ANYWAAAYS The People v. OJ Simpson ended up being pretty drat good! Check it out if you're on the fence.

God drat it, people didn't want to give Scream Queens a chance because it's a Ryan Murphy production, but they'll watch THAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

God drat it, people didn't want to give Scream Queens a chance because it's a Ryan Murphy production, but they'll watch THAT?

All of the talk on here about how loving terrible it was was the only reason I didn't get interested in Scream Queens.

I don't like Cuba Gooding Jr. so I'm not particularly excited for The People v. OJ Simpson.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

All of the talk on here about how loving terrible it was was the only reason I didn't get interested in Scream Queens.

I thought Scream Queens was pretty good. It didn't go on too long, had good humor, enjoyable characters, and was well cast.

I'm sure season two will squander all the goodwill, but the season that aired was enjoyable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first episode of The People vs OJ Simpson and while I can tell it is really well made it just hasn't grabbed me yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I gave Scream Queens a very brief chance but after like 15 minutes it felt like everything I dislike about Ryan Murphy and nothing that actually interested me so I just walked away.

I have no interest in the OJ Simpson thing but given the reviews I'll give it the same basic chance. Its on my DVR and some day I'll turn it on. If I'm staring at the clock hoping this will end then I'll just walk away because there's no point. And if it ends up reminding me heavily of stuff I know I dislike I'll probably give up quicker.

That feels like a healthy way to watch TV to me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

I watched the first episode of The People vs OJ Simpson and while I can tell it is really well made it just hasn't grabbed me yet.

Episode 2 is all about the Bronco chase; I'm guessing if you're still not sold after that episode it's safe to say it's not for you. Personally I have a feeling it's going to be a great watch.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

In OITNB every character is the worst one.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, I'm not sure I'd agree with it being really well made. A lot of the dialog is overly expository or just downright clunky (one character pretty much said "I wanted to do this by myself but I recognize now that I need your help" verbatim) and they found a way to reference the Kardashian children twice in the first episode.

The cinematography is Michael Bay style always moving/cutting (though there obviously aren't any explosions), which really doesn't fit the subject matter at all.

And the show doesn't seem particularity interested in actually exploring if he did it or not; instead, it's focus is on the people around OJ realizing he actually did it, which is a decent enough way of doing things... but I was actually kind of hoping that they would sensationalize it up a little bit, maybe hinting at someone else like his kid or bodyguard did it or something, before definitively pointing out that of course OJ did it.

Finally it seems to be setting up the explanation for the DA's office's failure to prove that he did it to be that the female lawyer was too distracted by female things like her home life and kids which is just kinda gross.

Gooding's... pretty good, Schwimmer does a decent enough job playing hapless, and holy poo poo the top half of John Travolta's face is pretty much just a plastic mask now.

I'm gonna continue watching it, but it's not *good*, per se.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Why would you want them to turn it into a bullshit mystery? Like, there's no one on the planet who thinks OJ didn't do it, right? So why create a false mystery just for the sake of it? If there's worthwhile drama in this story I assume its the mistakes/illegal acts made by the prosecution and police, whatever's wrong with OJ's head, and the racial divide in the reaction to it all. Not "Maybe OJ was actually innocent?"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't remember who said it, but apparently ESPN also have an OJ show that's airing in the Summer and the reviewer said they should drop whatever programming they have on at the moment and just air it because it's really good and doesn't deserve to be buried under the FX show.

The OJ episode of 30 for 30 gives me high hopes for it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can't remember who said it, but apparently ESPN also have an OJ show that's airing in the Summer and the reviewer said they should drop whatever programming they have on at the moment and just air it because it's really good and doesn't deserve to be buried under the FX show.

The OJ episode of 30 for 30 gives me high hopes for it.

For those who are unaware like I was, the OJ 30 for 30 is called June 17th, 1994 and it's about several notable sporting moments on that day but is mostly centered around the infamous slow speed chase. DivisionPost recommended it in the show thread and now I'm recommending it to everyone here. It's on Netflix and it's really fascinating.

What a crazy loving day in history that was.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yep. The NBA Finals, Arnold Palmer's final round in the US Open, the NY Rangers tickertape Stanley Cup parade, the commencement of the World Cup and the OJ chase. The news cycle that day was absurd; I was on summer vacation with my family in Florida at the time and we were all glued to the TV from start to finish.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 5, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As a young NYC sports fan (and Knicks and Rangers fan) that day is a bizarre one burned into my memory. I should definitely check out that 30for30.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm European so I barely remember anything about the OJ trial 'cause no one over here gave a poo poo. I just remember being bummed out that Nordberg turned out to be a bad dude :(

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Why would you want them to turn it into a bullshit mystery? Like, there's no one on the planet who thinks OJ didn't do it, right? So why create a false mystery just for the sake of it? If there's worthwhile drama in this story I assume its the mistakes/illegal acts made by the prosecution and police, whatever's wrong with OJ's head, and the racial divide in the reaction to it all. Not "Maybe OJ was actually innocent?"

Because it's fun to look like you're supporting crazy conspiracy theorists and then pull the rug out from under them? Also it's a Ryan Murphy show so I was expecting sensationalism.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Am I the only one who thinks it's remarkable they actually released 30 movies from Oct 2009 - December 2010?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's remarkable they actually released 30 movies from Oct 2009 - December 2010?

Who is "they"?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snak posted:

Who is "they"?
The illuminati? :shrug:

GreenNight posted:

MacGyver is being rebooted on CBS.

Why CBS, why?!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xstwym_young-macgyver-unaired-pilot-2003_shortfilms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-vTTRRIBuk

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snak posted:

Who is "they"?

First season of 30 For 30 air dates. And yes, at worst they're an interesting watch, at best they're fantastic. I made a small 30 For 30 thread a few weeks ago where people list their favourites.

The most important thing is you don't have to be into sports, because a lot of them aren't even about the sport but the people. Not knowing the stories is good too, because of the twists and turns.

I was about 15 when the OJ thing happened and halfway across the world, so watching the footage and hearing the poo poo that was said back and forth with the police was a revelation to me. I had no idea about that stuff.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

lelandjs posted:

Because it's fun to look like you're supporting crazy conspiracy theorists and then pull the rug out from under them? Also it's a Ryan Murphy show so I was expecting sensationalism.

To be fair, it's not really a Ryan Murphy show. He's a producer, and he directed all the episodes, but he wasn't involved in the writing.

The writing and plotting is what seems to always doom a real Murphy show. Scream Queens was enjoyable but really burned off my goodwill over the last few episodes with no strong plot direction and pussying out of killing any characters people liked.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snak posted:

Who is "they"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08PgG9ASOg

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

First season of 30 For 30 air dates. And yes, at worst they're an interesting watch, at best they're fantastic. I made a small 30 For 30 thread a few weeks ago where people list their favourites.

The most important thing is you don't have to be into sports, because a lot of them aren't even about the sport but the people. Not knowing the stories is good too, because of the twists and turns.

I was about 15 when the OJ thing happened and halfway across the world, so watching the footage and hearing the poo poo that was said back and forth with the police was a revelation to me. I had no idea about that stuff.

30 for 30 is great. Pretty much the only reason I haven't binge watched it is because Netflix lists them all as separate films instead of one series so I just watch random ones I encounter or seek out.

They do a great job of taking sports stories and telling them in a way that really feels so much bigger than just the individual sport. Its what all good documentaries do. Suck you in and get you invested by telling a fuller story about what happened and who was involved so even if you're not interested in the basic topic you get engaged and learn something.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
If I greatly enjoyed Black Sails season 1, would I enjoy Vikings season 1? I saw the pilot and thought it was alright.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

less laughter posted:

My username is a joke from Harry Potter, idiot.
Somebody change this guy's name to cockroach cluster.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

James Woods Fan posted:

If I greatly enjoyed Black Sails season 1, would I enjoy Vikings season 1? I saw the pilot and thought it was alright.

It has a few problems finding its footing in the first season (mostly relating to the Gabriel Byrne character) but it keeps improving. It's a really great show with a fantastic cast.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 6, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

It has a few problems finding its footing in the first season (mostly relating to the Gabriel Byrne character) but it keeps improving. It's a really great show with a fantastic cast.

Gabriel Byrne is in Vikings? Why has no one told me this? I'll watch anything Gabriel Byrne is in. Although it sounds like you're saying his character in this sucks...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vikings was created by the guy that made The Tudors. But Vikings doesn't suck.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not that he sucks, his character is a massive cock that literally no one likies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

James Woods Fan posted:

Black Sails is really good. Vikings is exceptional.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

Gabriel Byrne is in Vikings? Why has no one told me this? I'll watch anything Gabriel Byrne is in. Although it sounds like you're saying his character in this sucks...

His character doesn't suck, but he's a plot speed bump that we instantly know is hosed. Like that isn't even a spoiler, he's a viking against raiding in England. Pretty much every single human being on the planet that would even be vaguely interested in a show called "Vikings" knows how well that'll end for him. Just like a third the people that would be interested in a show called "Vikings" immediately find it funny Rollo is constantly sad he can't find a place for himself in the world.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hakkesshu posted:

They better get Nicky back or this show can go to hell

drat straight. She was my favorite character.

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's why Piper is a horribly insufferable character. Almost every other character is more interesting and more sympathetic. Taystee and Poussey are probably my favorite characters, but I'd still rather see more of Daya and her family than more of Piper and Alex's "sexy lesbian crime scheming" bullshit. Like it's not a super realistic show, but it's like it fluctuates between being a real human drama and being Weeds.

Hate the whole Alex/Piper thing, but I would rather they did a whole season of them if it meant never having to deal with Daya and her family again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Vikings is absolutely worth checking out. It does a fantastic job of creating this mostly-historical-but-kind-of-not-quite world by mixing actual history with some mysticism to really give the Viking culture a sort of alien/foreign feel. The cast and the acting are great as well. Season 1 is worth watching just to see Gustaf Skarsgård's Floki who pretty much steals every scene he's in.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

drat straight. She was my favorite character.

Hate the whole Alex/Piper thing, but I would rather they did a whole season of them if it meant never having to deal with Daya and her family again.

I mean, Daya and her family are annoying as people, but you can have good stories about people who are annoying and suck. I'm not really a fan of them, but they feel like real human characters, while Piper and Alex feel like fake tv archetypes that I hate.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sleepy Hollow came back from break last night.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

less laughter posted:

Orange is the New Black was just renewed for seasons 5, 6 and 7 :monocle:
Well with this news and how they are just gonna shoot the moon with House of Cards I do genuinely believe Netflix is run by pretty stupid people or they have so much hubris that they will refuse to cancel their higher-profile original shows. If probably only because renewing/reviving shows always makes you look like the good guy and canceling shows makes you look evil. Can't look evil I guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sober posted:

Well with this news and how they are just gonna shoot the moon with House of Cards I do genuinely believe Netflix is run by pretty stupid people or they have so much hubris that they will refuse to cancel their higher-profile original shows. If probably only because renewing/reviving shows always makes you look like the good guy and canceling shows makes you look evil. Can't look evil I guess.

Yes the shows that get nominations and get good reviews should be cancelled.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

The guys that made it have a focus on the details and weird stuff that never really made it into the public conscious, not whether he did it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is up with that show Animals on HBO? If the show is going to look this bad should it at least also be funny? What is the point of this? How did it get made? why?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

What is up with that show Animals on HBO? If the show is going to look this bad should it at least also be funny? What is the point of this? How did it get made? why?

When Scott Aukerman was talking about it on his podcast, he mentioned "that show I recorded a voice for three years ago, which I guess is airing now," so it seems like they sat on it for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes the shows that get nominations and get good reviews should be cancelled.

They don't need to be cancelled. In actual art, the art ends when the creator of the art decides that the art is finished.

• Locked thread