Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If making champ select shorter is the point, why do they make you wait when it's you and your teammate picking back to back? Pretty sure it's just because they think it'll make champ select look more dramatic in LCS or whatever, which now that I think about it, is probably the actual point behind the lock-in poo poo

Yeah it's nearly entirely presentation that this was made for because the rest of it is side the pre-selection is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Congratulations on finally not having a Badvatar.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If making champ select shorter is the point, why do they make you wait when it's you and your teammate picking back to back? Pretty sure it's just because they think it'll make champ select look more dramatic in LCS or whatever, which now that I think about it, is probably the actual point behind the lock-in poo poo

Me, from the last thread:

Mikujin posted:

Old System
30 seconds max per ban, 6 bans - Total Time: 3 minutes
60 seconds for champion selection, 6 pick phases - Total Time: 6 minutes
Max Total Lobby Time: 9 minutes

New System
40 second mandatory pick preview time - Total Time: 40 seconds
40 seconds per ban, 6 bans - Total Time: 4 minutes
40 seconds for champion selection, 10 picks - Total Time: 6 minutes 30 seconds
Max Total Lobby Time: 11 minutes 10

New system is actually longer than the old system. It's definitely just a change for the LCS/pro scene to make picks more exciting or something, because otherwise it's just making things longer for the rest of us.

breaks
May 12, 2001

On PBE at the moment it's 20 seconds for the pre-ban part and 30 seconds for everything else, which ends up being about 9 min max also.

But I think the point is less the theoretical maximum time it can take, and more that they made it harder on people who AFK since people who are actually paying a little bit of attention don't usually take all the allotted time to lock in.

Whereas without the lock in you get people who pick a champ and then intentionally don't lock in so they can go do something else and poo poo like that.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Lovechop posted:

yo luna drop some maccy d's knowledge on us

McChicken's are infinitely better if you get them No Mayo Add Ranch and Cheese, the extra thirty cents is mega worth it

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
also apparently they have this thing called an Oreo Frappé and I think I want to file a copyright infringement because its basically just the chocolate chip frappe with oreo bits in it instead of chocolate chips and I was TOTALLY making those before I quit last year and they are loving legit as poo poo

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

breaks posted:

On PBE at the moment it's 20 seconds for the pre-ban part and 30 seconds for everything else, which ends up being about 9 min max also.

But I think the point is less the theoretical maximum time it can take, and more that they made it harder on people who AFK since people who are actually paying a little bit of attention don't usually take all the allotted time to lock in.

Whereas without the lock in you get people who pick a champ and then intentionally don't lock in so they can go do something else and poo poo like that.
Shortening the pick preview phase is smart. In my journeys so far I'd say only about 60% of people use them as-is, anyways. What they need to do is have some better queues to notify you it's your pick (beyond the "YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS LEFT DRAMATIC DRUMS") since people in the 4th or 5th pick slot can expect to wait approximately forever for their turn to pick and are almost always the ones I see AFK/fail pick.

The lock-in all your poo poo policy is probably the worst part of the new system because sometimes it just doesn't even let you lock-in (I've only had that happen twice), the same way you can click "Ready" and have the bright orange "YOU ARE READY" text appear, and then in a few seconds you get queue dropped because you were AFK for the ready check.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i never declare my pick, that part of champ select is loving useless

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
treat it like lcs and always preview teemo to get the crowd going

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

exethan posted:

Same

Mikujin posted:

Me, from the last thread:

New system is actually longer than the old system. It's definitely just a change for the LCS/pro scene to make picks more exciting or something, because otherwise it's just making things longer for the rest of us.

in practice it's significantly worse because usually the 2 bans after the first ban were pretty quick. Seeing someone take the full duration for all 3 bans was incredibly rare. I'd guess 75% of the total time is used in the majority of lobbies now.

The first picks after the ban phase tended to be pretty quick as well seeing as how the person doing the bans is going to take up 2 of those picks. The 2 simultaneous pick phases also ate up a lot less time for the same reason.

Now they've spread out "hey it's your turn" literally as much as possible across the entire draft, which naturally adds a reaction lag because people aren't watching the lobby like a hawk.

The main issue of course is how many lobby failure points lead to dodges, which is followed up by a shorter 'ready" period which often doesn't make a noise, which punts you out of the queue. But even in a world where all of that goes smoothly, the way the lobby is set up takes significantly longer and has much pretty much nuked the strategic value of the ban phase. It also requires you to pay more specific attention to something that isn't interesting because 3/5 of the time you are asked to pick/confirm something roughly 2 minutes apart.

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 6, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The only point of the pick phase is for everyone to hover over the same champ but no one on your team ever pick them

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
This was probably discussed when the rework happened, but is there a generally considered best upgrade order for GP ult?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

exethan posted:

I have a mate who says his policy in ranked is currently if any teammate pre-selects Jhin he bans it.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The first game I was forced not to jungle and we lose (our jungler had 4 early ganks and 4 early deaths).

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

This was probably discussed when the rework happened, but is there a generally considered best upgrade order for GP ult?

Death's Daugher -> Fire At Will -> Raise Morale is the general order. DD is super valuable early, FaW is just good, Raise is situational.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mikujin posted:

The first game I was forced not to jungle and we lose (our jungler had 4 early ganks and 4 early deaths).

Mikujin I tried your Udyr. Won once, lost once. The loss was because I accidentally hit my flash key when I tried to smite and fail ganked because of it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The true damage you get on gp ult is really good for sniping kills early cause it procs thunderlords instantly too.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

A Stupid Baby posted:

in practice it's significantly worse because usually the 2 bans after the first ban were pretty quick. Seeing someone take the full duration for all 3 bans was incredibly rare. I'd guess 75% of the total time is used in the majority of lobbies now.

The first picks after the ban phase tended to be pretty quick as well seeing as how the person doing the bans is going to take up 2 of those picks. The 2 simultaneous pick phases also ate up a lot less time for the same reason.

Now they've spread out "hey it's your turn" literally as much as possible across the entire draft, which naturally adds a reaction lag because people aren't watching the lobby like a hawk.

The main issue of course is how many lobby failure points lead to dodges, which is followed up by a shorter 'ready" period which often doesn't make a noise, which punts you out of the queue. But even in a world where all of that goes smoothly, the way the lobby is set up takes significantly longer and has much pretty much nuked the strategic value of the ban phase. It also requires you to pay more specific attention to something that isn't interesting because 3/5 of the time you are asked to pick/confirm something roughly 2 minutes apart.

Note that if any actual game designer designed this garbage heap, you'd be prepicking bans the moment champ select started. Left click to declare, right click to prep ban (shown in the same spot bans are now). 10 second declare window then first ban can be locked in. You can freely redeclare your pick/ban at any time until you lock it in. If your ban or pick is unavailable, the (otherwise 100% silent) game makes a loud rear end buzzer noise and forces itself foreground to let you know it's time to start thinking about something else. When your actual ban/pick turn comes up, the game makes a chime and forces itself to the foreground. Bans and champs are default locked in after 30 seconds if no further input received, dodges are incurred if your hovered ban/pick was already banned/picked. Hitting trade during the ban phase trades picks entirely. Hitting trade after someone has locked in is only possible if you own the champion they picked, and it lets them repick from THEIR available champion pool after giving you your champion.

Wow in like five minutes I did a better job than Riot could in like four years. It's amazing what being not retarded can do for you in game design.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

K8.0 posted:

Note that if any actual game designer designed this garbage heap, you'd be prepicking bans the moment champ select started. Left click to declare, right click to prep ban (shown in the same spot bans are now). 10 second declare window then first ban can be locked in. You can freely redeclare your pick/ban at any time until you lock it in. If your ban or pick is unavailable, the (otherwise 100% silent) game makes a loud rear end buzzer noise and forces itself foreground to let you know it's time to start thinking about something else. When your actual ban/pick turn comes up, the game makes a chime and forces itself to the foreground. Bans and champs are default locked in after 30 seconds if no further input received, dodges are incurred if your hovered ban/pick was already banned/picked. Hitting trade during the ban phase trades picks entirely. Hitting trade after someone has locked in is only possible if you own the champion they picked, and it lets them repick from THEIR available champion pool after giving you your champion.

Wow in like five minutes I did a better job than Riot could in like four years. It's amazing what being not retarded can do for you in game design.

That sounds like dog poo poo.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

yeah if any game designer actually tried to pitch this theyd probably be laughed at, called a dog poo poo retard, and told to go elsewhere

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I just think they should incorporate the declare thing like they did in team builder so that you don't have to spend 40 seconds looking at 4 people with no declared champion

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

K8.0 posted:

It's stupid it doesn't do this.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gridlocked posted:

Mikujin I tried your Udyr. Won once, lost once. The loss was because I accidentally hit my flash key when I tried to smite and fail ganked because of it.

That's great. I immediately followed up my -9 LP loss into another +30 win and am in promos again. Maybe I should just try to climb to diamond before I leave.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am actually over Jhin now too. I had a game as Braum with a Jhin vs Blitz/Vayne and all I could do was stand in front of Jhin and hope he didn't get hooked.

He over-pushed and died, got hooked and died, missed every deadly flourish and died, dealt no damage and died.

Is there ANYTHING that Jhin can do well as an ADC?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, he can lose. Literally play any champion with engage and an adc with some kill pressure and he's worthless

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Jihn's two biggest problems, from what I've seen, are an utter lack of capacity to withstand diving as well as an awful transition into late-game. I've seen him do well in both bot and mid lanes, but even when he's ahead he can't really exert the same amount of pressure a normal ADC can. This is, in large part, due to his inability to gain attack speed, which means he's strong early and late and completely middling when other champs are starting to get strong.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
His late game is really strong, it's just that people are idiots and don't understand how to play/build him yet.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Jhin's main problem is when you leave a regular ADC alone with a wave and a tower, it's going to melt, you leave Jhin alone with a tower and it's going to get tickled before he spends 5 seconds reloading and oops the wave is gone better slowly push it again.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
just pick hard engage and blow him up every fight

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Luna Was Here posted:

yeah if any game designer actually tried to pitch this theyd probably be laughed at, called a dog poo poo retard, and told to go elsewhere

Please provide an actual analysis of what is wrong with that system because it sounds like an improvement over last season's lobby. This season's lobby can be improved by having explosive diarehha into a leaky garbage back and swinging it over your head in a slaughterhouse

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Methanar posted:

It's stupid it doesn't do this.

It USED to do that. Which is the weird thing, because it was the one actual good thing about old Champ Select!

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008
Congrats to our friend Ffoxface for making it into this spectacular fabulous highlight I saw on Reddit today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EIT1utGL9Q

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
None of you know this but I used to be a big taric top player. It was always good except for that time renekton was op.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Planeshifter2 posted:

Congrats to our friend Ffoxface for making it into this spectacular fabulous highlight I saw on Reddit today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EIT1utGL9Q

Outrageous

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Saying only their income doesn't mean poo poo either, whats their profit like? Does pro lol still hemorrhage money only to be propped up by skin sales?

Yes but pro LoL was never meant to make money, it's literally just a several million dollar marketing campaign disguised as a pro circuit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yes but pro LoL was never meant to make money, it's literally just a several million dollar marketing campaign disguised as a pro circuit.

Also by selling advertising rights. Look at the LCK streams. 100% of the time there is a game on SOMETHING is being advertised at the same time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

That's because OGN has been running esports for like a decade and a half and are really on top of their poo poo

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

A Stupid Baby posted:

Please provide an actual analysis of what is wrong with that system because it sounds like an improvement over last season's lobby. This season's lobby can be improved by having explosive diarehha into a leaky garbage back and swinging it over your head in a slaughterhouse

ok, here is analysis:

K8.0 posted:

1)ok, the first ban window serves just as much purpose as the champ pick declare stage right now, in that there really isn't any purpose to it. just toss it out the window, it doesnt need to exist
2)I havent ever understood why people need the client to remind them that you indeed just readied up for a game 10 seconds beforehand, and the client making loud rear end noises isn't helpful its moreso annoying as loving shitfuck
3)the small chime and force to foreground on your pick phase can be helpful but should be toggleable, my reasoning behind this is that I tend to play games during queue times since queues are obnoxiously long for normal people like you and i despite us not being the most skilled of players, and the foreground forcing can mess with games if you run them fullscreen
4)I am indifferent towards autolocking of bans. I like it right now because its not really possible to afk at the start of games anymore but thats, like, my opinion man
5) & 6)Trading Pick Position is completely nonsensical and serves absolutely no purpose, and would probably be a lot glitchier and more poorly working than you think

the only real bad things about current champ select is that it takes to long because of the bloat within it, if they cut down on the champion declare (or cut it entirely) and slash like 5-10 seconds from each section of the pick/ban phase.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
RE: #2

I think you underestimate the ADD of young men using computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
sometimes when i am racing on typeracer and the leagu e of legends windows comes into focus, my 100%-accuracy-would-be-recordbreaking-140wpm-score gets messed up so i dont like riot games :(

• Locked thread