Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

My office doesn't have any dress code at all aside from "If you have to ask 'Is this appropriate?' it probably isn't", I just think it's funny how people think every single job in NYC requires you to wear a suit at all times.

I wish people would ask "is going barefoot at the office appropriate" and not come up with the answer "yes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Bob Morales posted:

You talked to the user, you are now their lifelong tech support buddy.

This. I helped someone with something I didn't even remember doing eight months ago. Cue this lady opening a ticket with a note saying "get this to Bitch King, he fixed this for me a month ago."

Apparently the woman is a time traveler. There's also an issue at my work where we have a few notoriously lovely help desk people. I haven't been help desk in a long, long time, but these chucklefucks still insist on calling me directly for things just because they don't want to deal with the bottom rung. Recently this even got escalated when I failed to respond, but thankfully my boss is clutch when it counts.

:awesomelon: : "Did you call the help desk?"
:bahgawd: : "No, I didn't, but-"
:awesomelon: : "Right, you didn't call the help desk. You need to call the help desk."
:bahgawd: : "*Sigh* Fine."
*click*

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 6, 2016

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Varkk posted:

How many devices do you want to manage over all? There is a Meraki MDM which is very nice and is free for up to 100 devices. We are going to switch to that at work.

Let's say a ball park of 20, I have dinked around with Meraki but when connecting a Windows phone I'm forced to link the phone with a workplace account before anything can happen. Ultimately while phone lock down and tracking are great, having a way to distribute apps instead of creating a load of individual Windows accounts would be swell.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

luminalflux posted:

I wish people would ask "is going barefoot at the office appropriate" and not come up with the answer "yes"

Coworker takes off his shoes and walks around in his socks. One step above barefoot here.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Super Slash posted:

Let's say a ball park of 20, I have dinked around with Meraki but when connecting a Windows phone I'm forced to link the phone with a workplace account before anything can happen. Ultimately while phone lock down and tracking are great, having a way to distribute apps instead of creating a load of individual Windows accounts would be swell.

You can do some evil, conniving poo poo with Meraki. Like forcing people to authenticate to the AP by logging in with their Facebook account and following the company on there.

I should know, it's what they made me implement at my side gig.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Free wifi isn't worth it.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
One place I worked at, a tiny tiny company, wanted to take a page out of Japanese culture. You would need to take off your shoes before you came into the office and put on shared office slippers.

I can understand taking off shoes in the house or whatever, but the office had concrete floors so I don't know what the point was?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

You can do some evil, conniving poo poo with Meraki. Like forcing people to authenticate to the AP by logging in with their Facebook account and following the company on there.

Yeah, Zebra's WiNG OS (previously known as Motorola WiNG OS) for wireless APs and controllers just added that option for Captive Portal configs. This is becoming a very common thing requested by businesses for their guest networks especially retail locations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Moey posted:

Coworker takes off his shoes and walks around in his socks. One step above barefoot here.

I do this a lot at my desk and it was fairly common in sweden (since normally you take off your shoes indoors at home). But I have no holes in my socks and i put on shoes when I leave to go to the bathroom.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
What's the prevailing opinion on Sonicwall? I hear a lot of people poo poo-talking them, but I also hear a lot of people poo poo-talking Cisco. What's a small office that needs a secure remote-access solution to do?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

beepsandboops posted:

One place I worked at, a tiny tiny company, wanted to take a page out of Japanese culture. You would need to take off your shoes before you came into the office and put on shared office slippers.

I can understand taking off shoes in the house or whatever, but the office had concrete floors so I don't know what the point was?

Keep the concrete clean!

But really, it's about an attitude change. When you come to the office, you put on your uniform, your slippers, do your morning stretches, and now you know it's WORK TIME.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

beepsandboops posted:

shared office slippers.

loving gross. Having to deal with somebody else's foot stink first thing would seriously inhibit my work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanatosian posted:

What's the prevailing opinion on Sonicwall? I hear a lot of people poo poo-talking them, but I also hear a lot of people poo poo-talking Cisco. What's a small office that needs a secure remote-access solution to do?

Sonicwall is fine for small stuff, but read the tech specs. The throughput on the router/firewall units with UTM features enabled is hilariously lower than the "rated" speed that is on the ports/in the big letters.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanatosian posted:

I used to think they were pretty decent small boxes for not too demanding requirements. Lately though they seem to be full of bugs and the support is complete poo poo.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanatosian posted:

Its ok for home use, or really small offices.

Fortigate is the way to go for small ofices. Fortigate 60D will run you around 500 bucks, 200 for support for a year and spend another 200 for the wireless AP and you have a decent all in one secure solution for a small office. UTM, secure wifi, good throughput, decent UI.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pissing me off right now:

Tonight is a large code migration from to production on this project I'm working on. I'm just an SA on this, but there's a handful of files that need to be moved from UAT to Prod. The devs provide a list of the files, with a note to back them up on prod, and then copy them from UAT. The MAJOR BANK'S production support manager rejected the entire migration plan because we didn't give him a list of commands to move the files over. We get on a call where he tells us that he doesn't know the skill set of the person he will have on the team, so he can't count on them knowing how to transfer files between Linux servers, and the person likely won't know what a symlink is or how to remove and add them.

Our PM flipped out on the call, how they can they possibly have this team manage and support a Unix system if they don't even know basic Linux commands? He lost his mind, but the client PM shut him down, and basically said "if we can't migrate Friday, we can't go into production on our dead line and we have to wait until the next prod migration window which is in weeks.

Guess who has to get on a webex from 10:30pm until 4:30 am and hand hold these knuckleheads through ten rsync commands (that I provided them verbatim so they can just copy and paste)?

Also before anyone says use something like chef or puppet or svn or whatever, yeah, I know but the bank doesn't allow us to use anything on their systems so we have no choice but to do it this way.

EDIT: oh also they scheduled a complete power outage of the data center the prod VM cluster lives at, so the server are actually off for another half hour. Wonderful.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Tonight is a large code migration from to production on this project I'm working on. I'm just an SA on this, but there's a handful of files that need to be moved from UAT to Prod. The devs provide a list of the files, with a note to back them up on prod, and then copy them from UAT. The MAJOR BANK'S production support manager rejected the entire migration plan because we didn't give him a list of commands to move the files over. We get on a call where he tells us that he doesn't know the skill set of the person he will have on the team, so he can't count on them knowing how to transfer files between Linux servers, and the person likely won't know what a symlink is or how to remove and add them.

Our PM flipped out on the call, how they can they possibly have this team manage and support a Unix system if they don't even know basic Linux commands? He lost his mind, but the client PM shut him down, and basically said "if we can't migrate Friday, we can't go into production on our dead line and we have to wait until the next prod migration window which is in weeks.

Guess who has to get on a webex from 10:30pm until 4:30 am and hand hold these knuckleheads through ten rsync commands (that I provided them verbatim so they can just copy and paste)?

Also before anyone says use something like chef or puppet or svn or whatever, yeah, I know but the bank doesn't allow us to use anything on their systems so we have no choice but to do it this way.

EDIT: oh also they scheduled a complete power outage of the data center the prod VM cluster lives at, so the server are actually off for another half hour. Wonderful.

Process can substitute for talent only so far. They should really hire some UNIX admins instead of typists. I love how "separation of duties" just results in the people with the least knowledge touching production, and the people with the most knowledge being reduced to dictating bash commands or SQL or whatever.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ynglaur posted:

Process can substitute for talent only so far. They should really hire some UNIX admins instead of typists. I love how "separation of duties" just results in the people with the least knowledge touching production, and the people with the most knowledge being reduced to dictating bash commands or SQL or whatever.

I'm really leery to give a list of twenty commands that rsync, copy, made and remove symlinks, and just letting a person copy and paste them from a word doc into a sudo linux terminal. It's such a simple operations, but when it includes a couple rm commands, the person could just nuke the entire prod box if they copy them wrong or fat finger something.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm really leery to give a list of twenty commands that rsync, copy, made and remove symlinks, and just letting a person copy and paste them from a word doc into a sudo linux terminal. It's such a simple operations, but when it includes a couple rm commands, the person could just nuke the entire prod box if they copy them wrong or fat finger something.

Thats the problem precisely. It's safer to let a skilled person type than to let a skilled person dictate to someone else.

"Your activities should be fully tested!!!"
Thats nice. The server names (among other things) aren't the same between environments. I actually can't give you the script I used when I migrated from Dev to UAT: it wouldn't work in Prod.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ynglaur posted:

Thats the problem precisely. It's safer to let a skilled person type than to let a skilled person dictate to someone else.

"Your activities should be fully tested!!!"
Thats nice. The server names (among other things) aren't the same between environments. I actually can't give you the script I used when I migrated from Dev to UAT: it wouldn't work in Prod.

Oh, I tried that. When we did QA->UAT it was supposed to be a test run, for them to try all the commands and get them listed down, but it ended up with twenty people on the call watching me do them in a terminal and no one paid attention.

ugh.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

DigitalMocking posted:

Fortigate decent UI.

never in my life did i think i'd read that.

re: sonicwall

we have a shitton of them in the wild. home, small office and medium office and cant recall any major issues. like other poster said, just make sure you read the fine print on service throughput.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Change management is great. I would have to document the exact commands I planned to run for each maintenance. I'm running this maintenance. I know what I'm doing. I don't need to write down loving ls -a.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Pissing me off: lovely T3s.

I'm a T2 and for certain things I have to escalate to a T3 to get approval for certain software installs, closing tickets, etc. There is a great T3, super sharp guy I get along with well who actually knows his poo poo and is willing to get his hands dirty to fix things. I deal with him as much as I can and life is good. Problem is, he only works 3 out of the 5 days I'm on. There is also another pretty good T3 who is new, but he works different hours than me so I barely ever deal with him. This brings me to the last T3, who I refer to as "20 Questions" and I hate. He can't read notes, he can't take suggestions for what the problem is, he'll go "away" in chat constantly when he is the bottleneck holding things back, he'll respond with contempt at you if you ask for clarification on something, and he loves to waste time asking dumb questions.

A few weeks ago I was swamped and told a T1 to just message him directly for approval and say "Hey Cactus Jack said to message you and it is this, just need approval to do that." after I had figured out the issue. Should be easy right? No. 20 Questions then proceeded to waste 3 hours of everyone's time asking questions that had already been answered, not responding to messages for 30-45 minutes at a time and telling the T1 to run poo poo that would not fix the issue we had already diagnosed. I find out about this afterwards and apologized to the T1 for making him have to deal with that shithead. So now even if I'm super busy I act as the buffer for his dumb questions because all the T1s hate him and wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

The kicker to all this? They just fired a T3 a little bit before this. Who did they fire? Oh just one who knew his poo poo, would actually read notes, could deal with 20 things at once, and everyone liked! :sigh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cactus Jack posted:

Pissing me off: lovely T3s.

I'm a T2 and for certain things I have to escalate to a T3 to get approval for certain software installs, closing tickets, etc. There is a great T3, super sharp guy I get along with well who actually knows his poo poo and is willing to get his hands dirty to fix things. I deal with him as much as I can and life is good. Problem is, he only works 3 out of the 5 days I'm on. There is also another pretty good T3 who is new, but he works different hours than me so I barely ever deal with him. This brings me to the last T3, who I refer to as "20 Questions" and I hate. He can't read notes, he can't take suggestions for what the problem is, he'll go "away" in chat constantly when he is the bottleneck holding things back, he'll respond with contempt at you if you ask for clarification on something, and he loves to waste time asking dumb questions.

A few weeks ago I was swamped and told a T1 to just message him directly for approval and say "Hey Cactus Jack said to message you and it is this, just need approval to do that." after I had figured out the issue. Should be easy right? No. 20 Questions then proceeded to waste 3 hours of everyone's time asking questions that had already been answered, not responding to messages for 30-45 minutes at a time and telling the T1 to run poo poo that would not fix the issue we had already diagnosed. I find out about this afterwards and apologized to the T1 for making him have to deal with that shithead. So now even if I'm super busy I act as the buffer for his dumb questions because all the T1s hate him and wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

The kicker to all this? They just fired a T3 a little bit before this. Who did they fire? Oh just one who knew his poo poo, would actually read notes, could deal with 20 things at once, and everyone liked! :sigh:

3 out 4 T3s (network) at my job work from home, and only from home, anything involving onsite support pretty much equals "You deal with it desktop guys" :smug: if the only good one isn't available. We have consultants coming into look at stuff, so the responsibility for cleaning up the datacenter and switch closets falls on us. We've been having a hell of a time getting the new management team's Apple poo poo set up due to the firewall and WAP firmware and aside from generously sending us a couple youtube videos, they generally don't seem to give a gently caress and probably won't until it becomes a complete disaster and they have no other choice.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I've had to deal with cold callers at work, but this takes a new low. Some dipshit out of a financial firm (that hasn't updated their website since 1999) stalked me on LinkedIn, found the general number for my company, and called asking for me by name.

My response was as professional as you can be without saying :fuckoff:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

jaegerx posted:

Change management is great. I would have to document the exact commands I planned to run for each maintenance. I'm running this maintenance. I know what I'm doing. I don't need to write down loving ls -a.

One of our branches is getting close to filling up their branch switch. So we open a change order to get a second one installed.
One of the change managers calls up and starts going down a list of questions:
Why do they need this? Current switch is full.
Can we add more ports without new equipment? Uhh, no.
What is the back out plan if this doesn't work? There isn't a plan, there doesn't need to be one.
What if this doesn't solve the problem? That can't happen.
What can be done to prevent this in the future? There isn't a way.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

One of our branches is getting close to filling up their branch switch. So we open a change order to get a second one installed.
What is the back out plan if this doesn't work? There isn't a plan, there doesn't need to be one.

The back out plan is to roll dice to determine which part of the branch network to take down. If this doesn't solve the problem, then basic mathematics are flawed, so the change manager will be required to write a thesis on a new form of algebra.
To prevent in the future, the company will stop buying hardware. With no new hardware, they will have no further need for change managers.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I'm working on implementing basic change management in my dept. are those irrelevant questions just a symptom of beaurocracy where every box has to be ticked?

What I'm really asking is, how do you do change management right, without giving everyone the shits?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CitizenKain posted:

Somebody just read Baby's First ITIL

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Swink posted:

I'm working on implementing basic change management in my dept. are those irrelevant questions just a symptom of beaurocracy where every box has to be ticked?
It's one of two things. Bureaucracy run amok or a change manager that has no technical background. Could be both.

Swink posted:

What I'm really asking is, how do you do change management right, without giving everyone the shits?
If you're small enough, you can keep the change management review board to an ad-hoc group of the appropriate technical stake-holders. Unfortunately, as you get larger it's harder to do so and usually needs a larger, dedicated group to manage and track changes. It's better to deal with irritations like this than have no accountability and tracking.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
After 10 years of doing enterprise level support, every change management statement I write has a blurb about risk and a back out plan, even if the plan is 'go back to old, broken way of doing things.' Change management can be stupid sometimes, but imho it is better to tick off the boxes than be hung out to dry at 2 am because no one thought about a back out plan. Even better, if there is no back plan possible, having management sign off on the work protects you.

And to be sure, I deal with clients, and most of them are happy that I can just crank something out that they can copy and paste into their CM forms, so that helps too.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

Somebody just read Baby's First ITIL

Pretty much. Our CM group rotates people so fast that someone there is always being exposed to ITIL for the first time and has yet to develop anitbodies to it yet. After a year or so they seem to be mostly immune to it and can function. The problem is it seems like most of them bail out after 2 years, and the cycle begins anew.

I'm not adverse to having things like a back out plan and detailing risk, its just some things are minor enough that you really don't need to have them. Adding a switch? Minor. Replacing the firewall with a new one? Maybe, depends if its just a swap for a failed one. Widespead network changes? Sure thing.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Moey posted:

I do that too from time to time. The offices are carpeted and there's no reason to be stuck in shoes all day when you don't have a visitor (or are in the bathroom) :(

luminalflux posted:

I do this a lot at my desk and it was fairly common in sweden (since normally you take off your shoes indoors at home). But I have no holes in my socks and i put on shoes when I leave to go to the bathroom.

:denmark::hf::sweden:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

flosofl posted:

If you're small enough, you can keep the change management review board to an ad-hoc group of the appropriate technical stake-holders.

We have an open weekly call where usually 50+ people jump on and go through discussing their changes. It's not optimal -- I'd prefer something like a pull request where we can make comments and discuss it ahead of time -- but it works. This is also an industry where if you don't validate your changes or have appropriate paperwork the FDA/sponsor will take a poo poo on you.

I started writing more complex rollback and validation plans after I got bit really hard by an upgrade that failed because engineering missed something (Any workflow started on an older revision of the workflow configuration would fail spontaneously when resumed, but any fresh ones started post upgrade would be fine). I didn't take the heat, but we had to do a pretty massive cleanup because someone just decided to merge a change without thoroughly testing it.

Even if I were in a small shop without federal oversight I would probably still do some form of change management to track what is being touched, the impact, and how we make sure its actually an effective change.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

poo poo pissing me off: The latest web filter "upgrade" has blocked di.fm for me. :(

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

flosofl posted:

Yeah, Zebra's WiNG OS (previously known as Motorola WiNG OS) for wireless APs and controllers just added that option for Captive Portal configs. This is becoming a very common thing requested by businesses for their guest networks especially retail locations.

So uh what happens if you don't have a Facebook? gently caress off no wifi for you?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you don't use Facebook and don't want your life laid open on the internet for anyone to see you obviously have something suspicious to hide and you're probably a terrorist.

Please stay where you are and a federal agent will be along to assist you soon.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Collateral Damage posted:

If you don't use Facebook and don't want your life laid open on the internet for anyone to see you obviously have something suspicious to hide and you're probably a terrorist.

Please stay where you are and a federal agent will be along to assist you soon.

Yup. Speaking of poo poo that pisses you off. :sigh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

feedmegin posted:

So uh what happens if you don't have a Facebook? gently caress off no wifi for you?

To be fair, you're pushing your data onto someone else's network that isn't even token regulated by the FCC beyond basic 'doesn't poo poo up the entire EM spectrum' stuff. If they're demanding social media logins to use it, Facebook would probably be considered gentle and courteous by the standards of whatever the Wi-Fi operator has in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Guess it's time for the millionth Weedlord Bonerhitler to create a Facebook account