Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now, geology students are a bunch of loving dorks. They're alright for the most part, but don't really get that not everyone is as excited about the stuff they're doing as they are. They all have field camp stories that are essentially even less interesting versions of basic training stories, but in their eyes are the equivalent of a year in Vietnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Meh.

At least they're outside getting exercise and fresh air sometimes. More than can be said for nursing students.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Meh.

At least they're outside getting exercise and fresh air sometimes. More than can be said for nursing students.

However, the courses I'm taking in the nursing building here have been associated with some of the finest yoga pant butt sightings of my butt peeping career.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Meh.

You should see some of the guys going for CS/IT degrees.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Geology and Archaeology sound like fun fields if you like nerd poo poo but also like being outdoors.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Advertising students tend to be people who are too frightened to pursue film, creative writing, or straight up business degrees.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What's Columbia like? The BAH looks silly but it's loving New York. How much does it cost to live in the dorms? I'm saving money by living with family in a familiar city going to a decent state school, but am not opposed to finishing my last 2 years somewhere better. Though I'd rather go to Cornell if possible since it's got a better engineering program.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you're looking at Cornell for engineering, you might as well look at RIT, Hopkins, or MIT. They're about as good as you're going to get on the east coast when it comes to engineering.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

psydude posted:

If you're looking at Cornell for engineering, you might as well look at RIT, Hopkins, or MIT. They're about as good as you're going to get on the east coast when it comes to engineering.

Hopkins Yellow Ribbon is a loving joke.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
there are a lot better engineering schools on the east coast than columbia and hopkins.

georgia tech, rpi, virginia tech, penn state. ]

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Justin Tyme posted:

What's Columbia like? The BAH looks silly but it's loving New York. How much does it cost to live in the dorms? I'm saving money by living with family in a familiar city going to a decent state school, but am not opposed to finishing my last 2 years somewhere better. Though I'd rather go to Cornell if possible since it's got a better engineering program.

Budget 1200 to 1400 for a room, plus utilities, out of your BAH -- assuming you want to live in walking distance of campus.

You can live further away for cheaper, down to 800 or 900 for a room in Brooklyn (1hr commute, not recommended).

Most vets I know here have 100% GI bill and seem to not know what to do with their extra money.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Zeris posted:

Budget 1200 to 1400 for a room, plus utilities, out of your BAH -- assuming you want to live in walking distance of campus.

You can live further away for cheaper, down to 800 or 900 for a room in Brooklyn (1hr commute, not recommended).

Most vets I know here have 100% GI bill and seem to not know what to do with their extra money.

poo poo, I would have expected twice that. What about dorms proper?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

If I ever got to NY, just shoot me.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Justin Tyme posted:

poo poo, I would have expected twice that. What about dorms proper?

I don't think there are dorms proper for non-traditional students. But the university housing prices I mentioned come with a free roommate of the university's choosing. If you want to live alone in a studio, think $2000+

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Casimir Radon posted:

Now, geology students are a bunch of loving dorks. They're alright for the most part, but don't really get that not everyone is as excited about the stuff they're doing as they are. They all have field camp stories that are essentially even less interesting versions of basic training stories, but in their eyes are the equivalent of a year in Vietnam.

Are you a geologist?
http://foundation.aapg.org/programs/military.cfm?utm_source=Informz&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Test

$4k for veterans studying geosciences funded by Shell, Chevron, Conoco, et al

lol why yes every cent of my education is paid for with blood/oil money

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Didn't I tell you about the engineers at my school? And that's Yeehaw State University, so it's a low bar.

I'm a weird sophomore but freshman so I'm taking
College algebra (wanted to start fresh with math)
Technical writing
Intro to Mechanical Engineering
Human Communication (required)
World Lit 1600's and up

Algebra and Intro to ME are on campus, the rest are online.

We have the same thing at my school only they pretty it up by calling it "Business communications for engineers", instead of "how to live with Aspergers"

Not sure how you crazy fucks can handle 19 credits and such, I can barely handle 13

-Fundamentals of Electronics
+Lab
-Differential Equations and Linear Algebra
-Embedded Design and Robotics
+Lab

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

This is true. Even with regular spending habits you can save up a ton of money while you're here.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

This is true. Even with regular spending habits you can save up a ton of money while you're here.

One thing I love about BAH in big cities is that the good schools tend to be in expensive neighborhoods, while you can live in the cheap ones. West Philadelphia vs University City, for example. I pay $500/m out of my 2k, combined with the marginal amount of money I make at a part-time research gig, I've been cash positive going to one of the most expensive schools in the nation.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm thinking about going back to school this fall and I'll be living with my parents and pulling that GI Bill money.

I mean, the BAH in this area is poo poo but it's better than nothing.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

McNally posted:

I'm thinking about going back to school this fall and I'll be living with my parents and pulling that GI Bill money.

I mean, the BAH in this area is poo poo but it's better than nothing.

I get why people do this from a money perspective, but I don't get why people do it from a "don't be a loving scrub" perspective. Once you've lived adulthood, going back and living with your parents is the worst. Unless you live in a college town associated with a huge state school, just don't. Even then, probably don't. Apply to good schools at least an hour from home. It's kind of pathetic when college kids go home every weekend, it's just silly when adults live at home when they aren't forced to. GI Bill is enough to live wherever a school is.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TheQuietWilds posted:

I get why people do this from a money perspective, but I don't get why people do it from a "don't be a loving scrub" perspective. Once you've lived adulthood, going back and living with your parents is the worst. Unless you live in a college town associated with a huge state school, just don't. Even then, probably don't. Apply to good schools at least an hour from home. It's kind of pathetic when college kids go home every weekend, it's just silly when adults live at home when they aren't forced to. GI Bill is enough to live wherever a school is.

Because my life has fallen apart in the most dramatic fashion possible and I don't think living alone is a good idea?

vains
May 26, 2004

living alone isn't good. what if you choke on something? without a life alert pendent, you're hosed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

living alone isn't good. what if you choke on something? without a life alert pendent, you're hosed.

I was concerned about my mental and emotional state, but now I'm worried about you choking on the next dick you suck.

Hope you'll be okay.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
His wife killed herself you stupid gently caress.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mike-o posted:

His wife killed herself you stupid gently caress.

Goddamnit, you ruined the big reveal.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think it's a good idea man. I moved back in with my parents for a few months after my troubles and it made a difference. Definitely good for you to have that emotional support close by and not be stuck with your own thoughts at home.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
God I can't count how many times my life alert has saved my life.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Ok man, I'm sorry. I didn't know that. There's a big difference between "I'm moving back to be with family to help me through a crisis" and "I can totally save on rent by living with my parents while I pull BAH," and I assumed the latter, since that's usually what I heard while I was in. The former is a completely legitimate plan, and likely a good idea. I hope things turn the corner for you, really sorry to hear that.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

BAH isn't all what it's cracked up to be depending where you are, it's only $1040 a month here and the only places you can live while having enough left over to get you by without having to work are in the ghetto as gently caress places. That said, there are pell grants you can cash in too.

vains
May 26, 2004

its a joke, retards.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

its a joke, retards.

New GiP mouse over text candidate

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

its a joke, retards.

this is the same line you use on the ladies you trick into sleeping with you when they finally see lil veins huh?

vains
May 26, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

this is the same line you use on the ladies you trick into sleeping with you when they finally see lil veins huh?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

its a joke, retards.

Is that what the doctor said when you were born?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

McNally posted:

Is that what the doctor said when you were born?

:vince:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

DownByTheWooter posted:

Are you a geologist?
http://foundation.aapg.org/programs/military.cfm?utm_source=Informz&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Test

I am very glad you posted this.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've been seriously considering going for a geology degree. Either that or computer sciences or some poo poo.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mike-o posted:

I've been seriously considering going for a geology degree. Either that or computer sciences or some poo poo.

Geology can make for a massive pay day if you end up working for a mining or drilling company

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mike-o posted:

Do something with remote sensing. A. The work is cool and B. You'll make cool maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

Are you a geologist?

Double major; GIS and Anthropology.

I just share a lot of classes with the geology kids.

• Locked thread