Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Skwirl posted:

I really need to start reading Black Canary.

It's pretty good, it's obvious they straight up stole the initial premise of Spider-Gwen but while that book is getting bogged down showing how different things are in that universe Black Canary jumped right into a superhero traveling with a rock-band antics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I feel like it got a bit lost the last few issues, but #7 brought it all together.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My internet was out all day, so I read more Judge Dredd.

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 02

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dredd always seems like the enema that comics really needs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

WickedHate posted:

My internet was out all day, so I read more Judge Dredd.

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 02

Hey, that's the movie plot!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, the Stallone film combines the plots of that story and a previous story where Dredd's twin brother comes back from jail for revenge. Although of course they made it much dumber. It's just barely cut off, but Dredd mentions his brother's fate in this story, which is one of the first times you see Dredd mention anger at the system, which is part of this intriguing and rarely explored character trait where, as much as he's an unwavering symbol of Megacity's laws and enforces those laws with more determination than anyone, it seems he doesn't necessarily agree with the way things are run, but feels his duty is more important than his personal views.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

He's not really mad at the system there. Even though he's sad over how Rico ended up, he knows it was his own fault. Judge Dredd was basically just straight science fiction for awhile without much allegory.

Also, the resolution to that story was super dumb and boring. I thought it'd have been Rico revived or something, but nope, just a robot.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 4, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Although of course they made it much dumber.

Lawwwwwwwww...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I feel vaguely ashamed but I remember nothing of Rob Schneider in the first Dredd movie and as a result my memories of it are pretty fond. It was incredibly hammy but kid me enjoyed the hell out of it.

Gavok posted:

Lawwwwwwwww...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_gIxTitMM&t=36s

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I also like subtle badassery, exemplified by people making huge sacrifices to support a moral principle. For instance, the scene at the end of the second issue of Astro City, where Elliot Mills acknowledges that all those years ago... his editor was right to kill the story because there was absolutely no proof of any of it.

Or the scene during "Zero Tolerance" where Creed offers J. Jonah Jameson a CD with enough information to destroy every superhero's secret identity on the condition that the Daily Bugle support Creed in the imminent clusterfuck, and Jameson grinds out his cigar onto the disk until it's unreadable. An individual copy of the Bugle is for sale. The Bugle as a whole is not.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parahexavoctal posted:

I also like subtle badassery, exemplified by people making huge sacrifices to support a moral principle. For instance, the scene at the end of the second issue of Astro City, where Elliot Mills acknowledges that all those years ago... his editor was right to kill the story because there was absolutely no proof of any of it.

Or the scene during "Zero Tolerance" where Creed offers J. Jonah Jameson a CD with enough information to destroy every superhero's secret identity on the condition that the Daily Bugle support Creed in the imminent clusterfuck, and Jameson grinds out his cigar onto the disk until it's unreadable. An individual copy of the Bugle is for sale. The Bugle as a whole is not.

I love Principled J. Jonah so much. :swoon:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

prefect posted:

Phone posting, so I can't post the panels, but I really liked the part in Ultimate Spider-Man where JJJ gets mad at Peter and fires him, Aunt May calls him up and bitches him out, and later, Jonah finds Peter, they talk, and he flat out admits he was wrong and gives Peter his job back.

Anyone have those panels handy?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

prefect posted:

This page is an absolute masterwork from start to finish, and I had forgotten how thoroughly amazing it is.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

correction - it's Bastion, not Creed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JJJ set a compact disk on fire with a lit cigar, that's pretty badass I guess.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
There's been one-shots and a few mini-series and crossover tie-ins but I would legit read an on-going Ben Urich: Investigative Reporter comic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The writing's good, but those faces are peak 90s. Who's the artist?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm 90% sure that's Joe Mad.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

prefect posted:

Principled JJJ is loving awesome. Who was the artist on that page? Reminds me of Ron Smith's work on Judge Dredd.

Source: 2000AD prog 117 (1979), the first introduction of Mega-City One's city blocks. Originally black & white, it's from one of the colour reprints, I think Judge Dredd 26, which didn't credit a colourist. Which is a pity, because this style of colouring really works with the art.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Endless Mike posted:

I'm 90% sure that's Joe Mad.

Yup - just (finally) read through all of ZT/tie-ins in December. The art then was a helluva lot different from the (much later) Marvel stuff I've gone through).

And I just went through that exact issue of Daredevil last week, so ~someone~ appears to be monitoring my tablet... :ninja:

(thread-appropriate (more or less) panel inbound at some point after lunch)

edit -

DigitalRaven posted:

Principled JJJ is loving awesome. Who was the artist on that page? Reminds me of Ron Smith's work on Judge Dredd.

Daredevil v1 #230, Frank Miller and Devid Mazzucchelli

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It always disappoints me when bad writers just boil JJJ down to 'crazy rear end in a top hat who hates Spider-Man" because when a good writer gets a hold of him he's one of the best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like principled Jonah but I think it's important to balance him out with weaselly gladhanding jackass Jonah. He's basically Charles Foster Kane 3/4 into the film, after all.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ferrule posted:

There's been one-shots and a few mini-series and crossover tie-ins but I would legit read an on-going Ben Urich: Investigative Reporter comic.

You should read that series he co-starred in with Jessica Jones. If you haven't already, I mean.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Did somebody say principled Jameson? Here's Ultimate JJJ turning down a story that Betty Brant is trying to sell him about the new Spider-Man's identity. (She's wrong, btw, she thinks it's Miles' dad).

Ultimate Spider-Man #16.1

Here's the follow up later. Venom shows up and kills Brant before she can get someone else to print the story and naturally the cops come knocking on Jonah's door.

Ultimate Spider-Man #19

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

prefect posted:

Is that the end of that plot arc? Because Principled J. Jonah is badass, but ultimately 'Kingpin wins again' is kinda depressing. (Which I suppose makes it fit right into a Daredevil comic, which I assume that is.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is part of Born Again, which is both depressing as gently caress and character defining.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FredMSloniker posted:

Is that the end of that plot arc? Because Principled J. Jonah is badass, but ultimately 'Kingpin wins again' is kinda depressing. (Which I suppose makes it fit right into a Daredevil comic, which I assume that is.)

Kingpin loses as much as he can in that. His empire takes a serious hit.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Ferrule posted:

"Peter, I'm an award-winning investigative reporter. You and I have worked side by side for over ten years. Frankly, it's a little insulting that you'd think I wouldn't know." -- Ben Urich, somewhere in Bendis's Daredevil run.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I think my favorite principled JJJ moment is in the first Spider-Man movie where he chews Pete out about his sloppy work and makes him feel lower than low, then as Parker leaves, Green Goblin smashes into the office demanding his head on a plate, and without the slightest hesitation Jameson lies bold-faced to him and refuses to give Peter up. He's all but fired the kid, and immediately protects him with everything he's got because Parker's still a Bugle man, and Jameson's still a journalist. Neither Pete or JJ mention the sequence ever again, and it just drips with integrity for it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TwoPair posted:

Did somebody say principled Jameson? Here's Ultimate JJJ turning down a story that Betty Brant is trying to sell him about the new Spider-Man's identity. (She's wrong, btw, she thinks it's Miles' dad).

Ultimate Spider-Man #16.1

Here's the follow up later. Venom shows up and kills Brant before she can get someone else to print the story and naturally the cops come knocking on Jonah's door.

Ultimate Spider-Man #19

I never quite understood what the last panel of the second to last of these pages was trying to convey. Is Jonah realizing he should have bought the story off Brant and buried it in his vault to keep her from going to sell it somewhere else?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

She wouldn't have taken his money if he wasn't going to publish it: she was a careerist and she wanted the public exclusive "to advance herself."

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Cabbit posted:

I never quite understood what the last panel of the second to last of these pages was trying to convey. Is Jonah realizing he should have bought the story off Brant and buried it in his vault to keep her from going to sell it somewhere else?

Without having read the comics it looks like JJJ figured out who killed Brant.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Parahexavoctal posted:

"Peter, I'm an award-winning investigative reporter. You and I have worked side by side for over ten years. Frankly, it's a little insulting that you'd think I wouldn't know." -- Ben Urich, somewhere in Bendis's Daredevil run.

I always thought the last piece of the puzzle for Urich had to have been when Peter admitted to JJJ that he knew Daredevil's secret identity, back during Bendis's "Out" storyline. I have no real firm basis for that besides that it would sort of make sense.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hasn't it always been implied/stated most superheroes' close work colleagues know who their civilian identities are but know when to turn a blind eye?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pureauthor posted:

Hasn't it always been implied/stated most superheroes' close work colleagues know who their civilian identities are but know when to turn a blind eye?

That's definitely not been the case for Spider-Man and Daredevil. Heck, back in the day, the Avengers didn't know each others' secret identities -- Iron Man's identity has been unknown to them at times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That always felt like a lame cop-out for most of them. Oh yes I totally knew so let's move on about this earth shattering secret that you agonized for years about letting me in on. We must deflate the dramatic tension immediately or something interesting might happen.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I remember some story from Amazing Spider-Man somewhere in the 200's where Peter and Matt are fighting over some Kingpin poo poo, Peter pushes Matt out of a cab, and looks like a huge dick for abusing a blind man.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

That always felt like a lame cop-out for most of them. Oh yes I totally knew so let's move on about this earth shattering secret that you agonized for years about letting me in on. We must deflate the dramatic tension immediately or something interesting might happen.

The exception being that one story about Aunt May knowing Pete was Spidey the whole time, which was one of the best spider-man moments in his whole many decades of existence. (And was of course ret-conned out.)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

In one of the various Thor comics there's a bit where he's in the UK and runs into Brian Braddock who is at a pub with a couple of friends. Braddock makes a rubbish excuse to dash off and change into Captain Britain, leaving his one of his friends to tell the other, "Yes, but we all pretend we don't know."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Y'know, statistically about 10% of the population are superheroes.