Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So what beats the TLT meta now, for Rebels and Scum? I've got a Store Championship at the end of the month and I've got a feeling there will be a lot of it.

Git gud. Donut hole them, block them, focus fire on them one at a time, don't let more than one of them get one of your ships in its bubble at once if you can avoid it. They're a pain in the arse with a low skill floor and a relatively low ceiling, but they're defeatable with good play.

(Says someone who's never faced a full quad TLT before and hopes never to do so again, so take my theorycrafting with a giant loving handful of salt)

FFG y u no preview Punishing One :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Otisburg posted:

I'm trying to be diplomatic.

Seriously though, his next comment is "I guess just make sure to bring your MOV optimizing lists.... :X" and all I can think is "Or if you can't just show up and have a good time, at least don't be a fuckboi who worries about the tiebreaker for 4th-- bring your 3 and 0 list and you don't have to worry about it."

There is no reason to be nice to assholes. It isn't like anyone is going to have a good time playing against a smarmy rules lawyer who is going to whine about how the event is poorly structured so he brought his metagame list to win the MOV blah blah.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

jassi007 posted:

There is no reason to be nice to assholes. It isn't like anyone is going to have a good time playing against a smarmy rules lawyer who is going to whine about how the event is poorly structured so he brought his metagame list to win the MOV blah blah.

I'll just highlight the word "suggested" every time it appears in the tournament document WRT rounds/making cuts etc, and roll it up to hit him on the nose like a bad puppy.

Hopefully 23 other people are there to play their best and have a good time. :unsmith:

E: I also hope he goes 0/3, though with the kind of attitude he's bringing I'm sure he'll find a way to pin that on the format, too.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

quote:

Omega Leader chat

He's real good. You can use him to trade for extremely advantageous positioning, you can use him to kill virtually any small ship in the game effort-free in the 1v1, you can use him to sure-kill a slippery opponent while you have the shot(s) you have, etc. Yorr is so sexy in the WOP list largely because it frees up Omega Leader to SLoop liberally. I can imagine zero scenarios where two equal-skill players are matched up and OLeader gets punked freely by a three T-65 list. Like... none. Maybe if your whole list is Omega Leader with a 71-point initiative bid.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So what beats the TLT meta now, for Rebels and Scum? I've got a Store Championship at the end of the month and I've got a feeling there will be a lot of it.

Scum is largely responsible for the TLT meta, since they have so few options playable. Y-Wings and TLTs, yo. To beat TLTs as Scum... Brobots? The answer is always Brobots.

As Rebels, take a regen ace or two and use what you know. Don't get trapped. If they're using titles, you can really exploit advantages here. If they're not, play carefully early, then clean up when one or two of the TLTs dies, depending on your opponent's list.

Panzeh posted:

I've literally never had trouble with XXX or anything like that because the flight is super predictable and if you know anti-jousting tech you'll be fine and it doesn't matter how much alpha strike there is. Split up, turn with the deployment, play slowly, throw in high speed banks.

Wedge is terrifying, but if your list is Wedge/Luke/Wes and I have OLeader and either two other maneuverable aces (Soontir/Vader) or a Palpshuttle and Whisper, you are in for a world of hurt if you try to chase Omega Leader down, especially if you're just formation-flying or at least bringing Wedge and Wes to bear.

Panzeh posted:

I don't mind playing Han against Omega Leader. He's still got gunner and can boost out of the arc if need be.

Of course, I feel good about Han against anything. He's over 60 points for a reason. He made Wes, Wedge, and Luke look like chumps, flailing around trying to get shots. Miranda's more of the same, just with an adorable little K-wing and less pilot skill.

I've been saying this for a while at my FLGS and in various communities, but I think Han is undervalued at present. Yes, TLT spam makes his life harder, but he's absolutely still playable, and if your local meta contains little/very little TLT-filled lists, Han can absolutely thrive in that environment. With the ability to dicefix that incredibly (Predator/Gunner), Han can and does one-turn enemy aces on the reg if they're sloppy, and he represents a significant threat at every stage of the game. I think people just stopped playing him as much because they got fatigued, and wanted to try new toys. (I think Whisper fell into this rut in similar fashion, because all the stories I've heard were that Whisper was everywhere, then she fell off completely, and people expressed confusion that she is "back" now.)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
It seems like Whisper left when the Decloak nerf happened, but people are realizing the nerf alone isn't enough to destroy Whisper's utility?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

It seems like Whisper left when the Decloak nerf happened, but people are realizing the nerf alone isn't enough to destroy Whisper's utility?

I'm aware she was nerfed, but the nerf took her from "pretty loving broken" to merely "solidly playable and really good." She's basically an Empire Corran, in that she's a small ship worth 40+ points; you can't be insane and bad with her or you will get wrecked, but combined with dicehax or a damage monster like the Decimator she's ridiculous.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Whisper's big problem now is that she relies immensely on moving last, and the meta right now is dominated by PS 10 Poes.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Finster Dexter posted:

She still beats entire lists that don't have an answer for her.

People basically said "If I can't reposition my ship twice after seeing exactly how the other pilot moved all of his ships, the Phantom is trash." Which is silly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Whisper never left the meta here, and she's still good.

On another note entirely, X-Wing UK Open tickets are up on sale and going fast, better hurry if you want one http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/bookevents.php?category=min

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Geisladisk posted:

Whisper's big problem now is that she relies immensely on moving last, and the meta right now is dominated by PS 10 Poes.

Yeah, I'm currently 0-2 with Decimator + Whisper vs. Poe + friends. Poe destroyed her in both games. Regen aces are really a bugger right now.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Whisper still isn't amazing for a few reasons, which also includes the existence of things like Poe and TLT.

When Whisper was dominant, PS 9 was the pinnacle of PS that was flown. There was no Poe, VI Corran was exceedingly rare, Wedge was effectively unplayable. Han and VI RAC were the only serious threats to her in the game. TLT did not exist. Stress control was mostly B-Wing with tactician.

Even without the decloak change (which was 100% needed) she would be much less powerful in today's meta compared to then. Now, with common PS 10 aces and tlt spam, she simply doesn't have the ability to avoid every arc in the game so much. Even with a focus and 4 green dice, a couple TLTs will eat her pretty quick since there's no way to reroll her dice. The stresshog's wide coverage is a serious threat to her.

Now, there's also more options other than Whisper that are effective and fewer points, with higher durability. Vader and Soontir are an effective combo with enough points to run another cheap ace like OL.

All that said, Whisper is still good. She can absolutely dunk on any generic ships, or any PS 9 ace when she moves last. 4 red dice is awesome. The counters that will get her can be played around to some degree, and you can run other ships that fill those weaknesses. You just have to be prepared to run into something she can't handle, have a plan for it, and make sure she isn't simply free points for your opponent.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Take Epsilon ace ( the one that is ps12 until hurt). Give whisper or echo Decoy instead of VI

Laugh at ps10 Poe.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

Take Epsilon ace ( the one that is ps12 until hurt). Give whisper or echo Decoy instead of VI

Laugh at ps10 Poe.

Decoy only applies to combat phase, though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

^-- gently caress youuuuuu~

ConfusedUs posted:

Laugh at ps10 Poe.

Decoy only works in the combat phase.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Because of a garbage work schedule and other such I've been out of the game a bit. I wanted to bust back in with Brobots and play around with that.

Can anyone more experienced with them give me a rundown of the pitfalls and basics?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Geisladisk posted:

Having had experience flying against Soontir with PTL Poe and VI Vader at all, I've gotten in lots of reps flying against aces who move after me and shoot before me, too. I don't want to trivialize the problem here - higher-than-9 PS aces are problematic, and that's why I asked about it like three pages ago when I posted the WOP list I'm running - but while I think it's an issue, I don't think it's a "clear this ship from the meta, pack it up and go home" problem.

alg posted:

She still beats entire lists that don't have an answer for her.

People basically said "If I can't reposition my ship twice after seeing exactly how the other pilot moved all of his ships, the Phantom is trash." Which is silly.

I think this is closer to the truth. It was a combination of this and Phantom-fatigue, if I had to hazard a guess, that left Whisper out of meta as long as she was. She is an absolute monster.

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, I'm currently 0-2 with Decimator + Whisper vs. Poe + friends. Poe destroyed her in both games. Regen aces are really a bugger right now.

If Poe 'n Pals is proving problematic (alliteration) for you, try WOP. It's insane. De-cloak + K-turn + no stress anyway because of Yorr. Omega Leader also exists and can't run free so they have to fight him, too. RIP.

The Gate posted:

[...]
All that said, Whisper is still good. She can absolutely dunk on any generic ships, or any PS 9 ace when she moves last. 4 red dice is awesome. The counters that will get her can be played around to some degree, and you can run other ships that fill those weaknesses. You just have to be prepared to run into something she can't handle, have a plan for it, and make sure she isn't simply free points for your opponent.

This summarizes how I feel about Whisper, albeit I'm slightly more "up" on her than this. Whisper has entire lists that basically cannot fight her, and she can make Swiss cheese out of opponents unprepared for Kallus and Palpatine dicehax if you're running WOP with alarming speed. If you can avoid a PS10 arc and still get a shot in on anything else, Whisper can demolish people; Crack Shot swarms and upcoming generics + ordnance + Chimps lists are a good way to get eaten by Whisper and both are getting lots of hype at my local shops. The pancakes that hurt me most are undervalued and don't see much table time in my store league, nor do 4-TLT lists, and even with PS10 I think Poe vs. Whisper isn't a death sentence.

If you do run into a team of high-PS aces, or a PS10 Poe/PS11 Vader, or 4-TLTs, or a pancake (mostly Han Solo), you have to change up your strategy, and Whisper becomes something of a liability if you don't account for it, I agree with that 100%. I tend to aggro-fly the Shuttle in these cases, to start blocking early or just to train another 3-dice gun on a problem ship, and either ward them off or weaken them to the point where Whisper will be able to get at least one shot off before dying, which sucks for MOV but usually results in a win.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

Deviant posted:

Decoy only works in the combat phase.

Which means Whisper gets to shoot first and get her free tokens.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

That's okay. You'd move at 6 or 7, but it's the SHOOTING part that matters most, to get those free cloaks and tokens and stuff.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

thespaceinvader posted:

Whisper never left the meta here, and she's still good.

On another note entirely, X-Wing UK Open tickets are up on sale and going fast, better hurry if you want one http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/bookevents.php?category=min
Go my ticket :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Me too. Goon meet?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sure thing. Anyone else going to the UK open?

tatertot
Aug 29, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Because of a garbage work schedule and other such I've been out of the game a bit. I wanted to bust back in with Brobots and play around with that.

Can anyone more experienced with them give me a rundown of the pitfalls and basics?

I think the most popular competitive build right now is HLC, FCS, crack shot, glitterstim, and autothrusters. You use B and whatever other version you want.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BC standard, AB if there's a lot of stress hogs.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

tatertot posted:

I think the most popular competitive build right now is HLC, FCS, crack shot, glitterstim, and autothrusters. You use B and whatever other version you want.

Brobots has a few configurations that I think are pretty good, but generally speaking you will always be using IG-2000, Fire-Control System, and Heavy Laser Cannon, and one of the Brobots will always be IG-88B. IG-88C is probably the next "best" one to use after B, but D has merit. A is very niche.

Your EPT choices are basically Veteran Instincts or Crack Shot; I think Crack Shot is better, since going to PS8 from 6 feels less potent, but it can create favorable matchups against ships like Omega Leader, Dash Rendar, and Corran Horn.

Systems like Sensor Jammer are just too expensive to justify, generally - for Sensor Jammer you can fit FCS and Glitterstim in there - but I guess it's technically an option.

quote:

Brother Robots (Bro-Bots, if you will)

IG-88B (50)
Aggressor (36)
IG-2000 (0)
Crack Shot (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Glitterstim (2)
Autothrusters (2)

IG-88C (50)
Aggressor (36)
IG-2000 (0)
Crack Shot (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Glitterstim (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

Pretty staple, pretty easy. Split your mans at setup and maximize your killing zone. SLoop liberally if you think it will result in a kill, especially with Glitterstim. You are generally sticking with cannon fire, here, so keep to Range 3 where possible. Marvel at how effective your ships are.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finally ordered a Rebel Transport and another T-70 expansion, I can run Strobe's XXX list with my own cards now.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The dodgy-ace plus tanky turret Rocky-and-Bullwinkle list isn't something that I've done before even though they're well-established go-to winner builds. What i want is one that explodes while making me laugh, so I am going to try this:

Juno Eclipse — TIE Advanced 28
Outmaneuver 3
Advanced Targeting Computer 1
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II 1
TIE/x1 0
Ship Total: 33

Commander Kenkirk — VT-49 Decimator 44
Intimidation 2
Flechette Torpedoes 2
Mara Jade 3
Ysanne Isard 4
Conner Net 4
Countermeasures 3
Dauntless 2
Ship Total: 64

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Be advised that the new Bespin mat is Swank. As. gently caress.

I want to see them do Starkiller Base up like this next.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
What do you guys think of this as an aggressive Solo/Regen Poe combination?

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 31
Push the Limit 3
R5-P9 3
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 39

Han Solo — YT-1300 46
Predator 3
Luke Skywalker 7
Chewbacca 4
Millennium Falcon 1
Ship Total: 61

Played my first game ever last night using a different build, and Solo is pretty rad for newbies, staying out of the firing arc, and being able to use a primary turrent won me the game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Poe is a muscly hunk.
I'd probably go VI unless you're doing the BB8/PtL gimmick or R2D2, personally. It's hard to overstate how nice it has to have initiative over Soonter, non-VI Vader, Whisper, etc.

If you can get to a store champs to get one I'd also swap out an effete robot for your wookiee.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Otisburg posted:

Poe is a muscly hunk.
I'd probably go VI unless you're doing the BB8/PtL gimmick or R2D2, personally. It's hard to overstate how nice it has to have initiative over Soonter, non-VI Vader, Whisper, etc.

If you can get to a store champs to get one I'd also swap out an effete robot for your wookiee.

VI makes sense there. Got it.

There's a store competition tomorrow, but I can't attend, and it'll probably be awhile before there's another sadly. Also, what is "effete robot"?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gerdalti posted:

VI makes sense there. Got it.

There's a store competition tomorrow, but I can't attend, and it'll probably be awhile before there's another sadly. Also, what is "effete robot"?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Got it, yeah, that seems like a more powerful effect. Hopefully the next time a store tournament comes around I can get one.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I came first in my FLGS's Store Championships today running this:

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Tactician (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire-Control System (2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

My closest game was my last, against Boba Fett, two Binayre Pirates and N'Dru, funnily enough. It came down to the two pirates vs my B-Wing which managed to clean up with a couple of lucky range one shots.

Tactician was pretty useless because I kept forgetting it was there, and it was rare to get range two, in arc shots. I'll probably go back to Jan Ors for the evade tokens, or Zeb when the Ghost hits.

I'm so exhausted.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Otisburg posted:

Be advised that the new Bespin mat is Swank. As. gently caress.

I want to see them do Starkiller Base up like this next.

I love my Bespin mat. Death star 2 is actually cool for Armada especially with a normal starfield mat next to it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
That Bespin mat looks godlike.

Finally got games in again after years away from playing. Some Numbers and I played two games, one each as rebels and one each as imperials (though with different lists). Imperials won every time. Phantom/Interceptor aces are pretty strong. The lists:

Game 1:

Wedge Antilles (29)
Push the Limit (3)
Flechette Torpedoes (2) (I totally forgot that I had these, could have maybe set up a play on Soontir if I'd remembered.)
BB-8 (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Versus:

"Echo" (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Agent Kallus (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Numbers played the Imperials while I played the rebels. I felt like I was in it - and maybe even in a good position to take it, despite an unfortunate turn 2 bump - until Wedge took a crit that dropped his piloting skill to zero. That... was pretty much that. No way to deal with Soontir. The only imperial casualty was Omega Leader.

Second game:

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

"Red Ace" (29)
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Wired (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Versus:

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tactician (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

"Howlrunner" (18)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Stealth Device (3)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

This time with Numbers playing the rebel side and me taking imperials. The swarm got an ineffective joust in (I ran half my swarm onto the same tiny rock during the range 1 clash :downs:) before getting shot to pieces, but they absorbed enough attention for Whisper to get into position and clean house (starting with Poe). Phantoms are nasty. Oddly, Howlrunner survived - I expected her to be an early focus fire casualty, but she was an able dogfighter against Jake and the Red Ace.

Overall the games were both a blast to play and felt very tactically interesting. Much fun was had, and we both agreed that our favorite rebel ship to fly is the T-70 - that thing is just an excellent mix of firepower, durability, maneuverability, and aesthetics. The complete package. Not so impressed with PtL + BB-8 though, in either game; Veteran Instincts is hugely important for ace pilots, so taking PtL is a significant risk.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 6, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
This probably came up before, but Is younger's abillity only limited to "action:" EPTs? People on the wiki seem to be convinced so, but it's not worded the same way as Experimental interface which mentions "Action:".

For example, if I had PTL on youngster could all allies in 1-3 range choose to take a stress to do an extra action?

E: Actually, forget PTL, I could do VI on everyone. That sounds kind of broken so now I'm thinking the person on the wiki was right.

E2: Actually, why not use Squad Leader? if everyone's in 2 range, you could pass a free action in a circle. :D :P
(yes that was a joke. I had this thought and feel kind of dumb how long it took me to realize how dumb this is. It's late, I'm not thinking clearly.).

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 6, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Foolster41 posted:

This probably came up before, but Is younger's abillity only limited to "action:" EPTs? People on the wiki seem to be convinced so, but it's not worded the same way as Experimental interface which mentions "Action:".

For example, if I had PTL on youngster could all allies in 1-3 range choose to take a stress to do an extra action?

Actually, forget PTL, I could do VI on everyone. That sounds kind of broken so now I'm thinking the person on the wiki was right.

"Friendly TIE fighters at Range 1-3 may perform the action on your equipped Elite Talent Upgrade card." Action means a specific thing in X-Wing so yeah, the wiki is right. Youngster currently works with four upgrades, Expose, Daredevil, Marksmanship, and Expert Handling.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Ok! I got my starter pack, Imperial Aces, and Rebel Aces today in the mail! My first attempt at a list:

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...=New%20Squadron

I'm going to work on an Imperial list next.

EDIT: Imp list!

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...n#empireContent

Turkson fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 6, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Kai Tave posted:

"Friendly TIE fighters at Range 1-3 may perform the action on your equipped Elite Talent Upgrade card." Action means a specific thing in X-Wing so yeah, the wiki is right. Youngster currently works with four upgrades, Expose, Daredevil, Marksmanship, and Expert Handling.

I played Marksmanship on him with Howlrunner, O'Leader, Wampa, and Scourge, and it GOT WORK DONE. I had to start using the big ship energy tokens to denote marksmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Deviant posted:

I played Marksmanship on him with Howlrunner, O'Leader, Wampa, and Scourge, and it GOT WORK DONE. I had to start using the big ship energy tokens to denote marksmanship.

My wang pal Josh played a Youngster/Howlrunner swarm using Expose with a doomshuttle on the flank and...it wasn't terrible exactly, Expose plus Howlrunner means your TIEs are rolling 3 red with Predator essentially, but it's also a fragile house of cards and if one key component goes down then welp.

• Locked thread