Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

GSD posted:

Did Lai Ang ever move its capital back to Europe from Zheng He Bay? :v:

Nope! So by this point I've just been interpreting it as the sultan and the old liberal government effectively being exiled to Avalon while the fascists run rampant on the mainland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Empress Theonora posted:

Nope! So by this point I've just been interpreting it as the sultan and the old liberal government effectively being exiled to Avalon while the fascists run rampant on the mainland.

The Wise and Mighty Sultanate of Zheng He Bay and Associated Colonies.

Edit: if Zheng He Bay ends up as its own tag, I hope we can ally them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's always a good time in Sino-Spanish Massachusetts.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

For the German liberals, you could maybe use the flag of the Reichsbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold which was the paramilitary organisation of the SPD during the Weimar Republic in OTL:

(Obviously without the name of the Reichsbanner)

If you are going for the three-way Civil War, it would probably be a good idea if you spelled out which sides in society support which party, stuff like who has the support of the Union, where does the Church fall (I forget, did Germany stay orthodox, or did they go heretic?), things like that, so that the imagery can be a bit more distinct between the three.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Flagsperg:

In OTL, the commonly-understood origin of the black-red-gold colors of the German tricolour (first used in 1848) come from: red for the Hanseatic League, and black/gold for the Habsburg monarchy (as they were considered a German empire and one of their own, Archduke Johann, was named regent of the 1848 pan-German state that never came to be). Unfortunately in this timeline, none of those things existed.

But in reality who cares, they're all basic colors and who's to say they don't symbolize something else in this timeline.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Drone posted:

Flagsperg:

In OTL, the commonly-understood origin of the black-red-gold colors of the German tricolour (first used in 1848) come from: red for the Hanseatic League, and black/gold for the Habsburg monarchy (as they were considered a German empire and one of their own, Archduke Johann, was named regent of the 1848 pan-German state that never came to be). Unfortunately in this timeline, none of those things existed.

But in reality who cares, they're all basic colors and who's to say they don't symbolize something else in this timeline.

Black, for the black eagle of the Holy Roman Empire
Gold, for the golden field upon which it flew
Red, because a tricolor needs three colors

EDIT: The Hansa briefly existed, too, but they were an ephemeral presence in CK2 that never really put a dent in Iceland's North Sea trade monopoly and not really important to German identity.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Welp, I got rocked. Keep the black-red-gold!

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Red was just the favorite color of the person who designed the tricolor.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GSD posted:

Red was just the favorite color of the person who designed the tricolor.

Red stands for blood. Doesn't matter whose, really. Just "blood *shrug*"

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Here's the GER_republic.tga flag from ByzMod, incidentally:

I guess it's just the same as the NGF one except without the three lions? We never saw it because although the NGF formed Germany never did.

(Meanwhile I apparently forgot to replace any of PRU's flags besides the monarchy one, so if the Holy Roman Empire-- which used the PRU tag-- had become a republic, communist, or fascist state before they formed the NGF there would have been some wacky Prussian flag that made no sense.)

EDIT: Let's just post all the German flags since I'm looking right at them. Some of them are still vanilla V2 flags, a few are by me, and the others are by people in the thread:

Germany (GER)
Republic:

Monarchy:

Communist (ORIGINAL FLAG DO NOT STEAL)

Fascist:

The Holy Roman Empire (PRU)
Monarchy:

Republic (Whoops!)

Communist (Whoops!)

Fascist (Whoops!)

The North German Federation (NGF)
Monarchy ("The Habsburg Monarch" and then also later the flag of the North German republic because V2 is weird):

Republic (AKA Goethe's flag):

Communist (Müller's flag)

Fascist:

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 6, 2016

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
sorry to intrude, but what is a hiratine?

V that's fantastic, thank you

stephenfry fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 7, 2016

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

stephenfry posted:

sorry to intrude, but what is a hiratine?

Literally the Guillotine with a different name. In our timeline it was named after Joseph-Ignace Guillotine. In this it was invented by a member of the Hira family, though I'm not sure about the exact in-game date. I would like to think it was during Noor Sallajer's revolution though.

EDIT: Found it!

EDIT2: Ninja'd... still, url!

Luhood fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 7, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Luhood posted:

Literally the Guillotine with a different name. In our timeline it was named after Joseph-Ignace Guillotine. In this it was invented by a member of the Hira family, though I'm not sure about the exact in-game date. I would like to think it was during Noor Sallajer's revolution though.

It was invented late in the reign of Empress Yustina Yaroslavovich, back when the Roman Commonwealth was still pretty close to the Peak Enlightenment of Julia the Great. That post featured a number of user-submitted characters, including StrifeHira's Manto Hira:

StrifeHira posted:

Name: Manto Hira

Religion: Orthodox

Biography: Member of the Hira household preoccupied with continuing the family's attempts to modernize Rome as much as possible. Patron of the sciences and current head manager of her family's vineyard in Lesbos. Rumored fan of Sapphic poetry.

Public Agenda: Outspoken proponent of modernization, she believes that all new leads in science and technology should be investigated, from the exploits of the Ming to the colonial developments in Avalon and abroad to any discoveries home-grown Roman naturalists, scholars, and scientists have uncovered. She cares not who discovered what, only that we Romans know what was discovered and what we can learn from the discoveries. She is also very interested in the developing Military technologies, especially advances in Firearms, Cannons, and Greek Fire weapons and the effectiveness they have on the battlefield.

Private Agenda: Organizing new Legions based on the Varangians for better defensive purposes. Designing a new flag for Rome.

I was all like, hm, what sort of invention would an eighteenth century intellectual type who wants to defend the Enlightenment through the application of technology come up with? And then I was all like, Oh.

The Byzantine Commune has phased out the death penalty for most crimes, but for those cases in which capital punishment is still mandated ("No man or woman shall conspire to restore the Roman Empire", etc.), the hiratine remains the preferred method.

Byzantine communists always have had a soft spot for their liberal forebears.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

Byzantine communists always have had a soft spot for their liberal forebears.

That's definitely an "as above so below" thing there

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I'm still just a bit touched that the ol' chopping device got my name attached to it. Rather grim, but I'm not complaining.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Only 3 months until HOI4 is out! and another 3 until it's patched and modded to a playable level

Also while I'm pointlessly bumping one thread, I might as well ask about another: is your norman game dead? I'm going through Rincewind LP withdrawals after reading this for a second time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Visceral Realism posted:

Only 3 months until HOI4 is out! and another 3 until it's patched and modded to a playable level

Also while I'm pointlessly bumping one thread, I might as well ask about another: is your norman game dead? I'm going through Rincewind LP withdrawals after reading this for a second time.

Because HoI is coming out so soon, it seems pretty pointless to continue NormanLP at this point. We wouldn't get very far in, and then like months to a year from now after getting through HoI IV and Stellaris I'd be going back to an ancient pre-Conclave CK2 save and it'd suck. And anyway now that HoI IV is "a few months" instead of "idk like a year???" away from release, an entire separate mega-campaign is just too big to think about. So I think it's dead for now, although probably after this LP finally ends it or an LP in a similar spirit will arise from the ashes.

But there is some Rincewind LP™-brand content coming up! I'm using the time in between now and the HoI IV release to finish drawing all of the Great Power leader portraits and writing a massive proper State of the World for the V2 endgame, so that's some stuff that will be coming out between now and then.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
That makes perfect sense. Anyway, this LP is an absolute treasure!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Empress Theonora posted:

finish drawing all of the Great Power leader portraits

Jesus Christ :stare:

Godspeed you crazy goon. That's what I call dedication.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Because HoI is coming out so soon, it seems pretty pointless to continue NormanLP at this point. We wouldn't get very far in, and then like months to a year from now after getting through HoI IV and Stellaris I'd be going back to an ancient pre-Conclave CK2 save and it'd suck. And anyway now that HoI IV is "a few months" instead of "idk like a year???" away from release, an entire separate mega-campaign is just too big to think about. So I think it's dead for now, although probably after this LP finally ends it or an LP in a similar spirit will arise from the ashes.

But there is some Rincewind LP™-brand content coming up! I'm using the time in between now and the HoI IV release to finish drawing all of the Great Power leader portraits and writing a massive proper State of the World for the V2 endgame, so that's some stuff that will be coming out between now and then.

Wait.... when did your name change to Empress Theonora?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Tbh I'm still going to say rincewind

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

she has conspired to restore the roman empire

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

just between you and me, speaking out of character, rome is neat

i guess i wouldn't be writing a whole LP about what it means to be "roman" if i didn't think so, though. :v:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

just between you and me, speaking out of character, rome is neat

i guess i wouldn't be writing a whole LP about what it means to be "roman" if i didn't think so, though. :v:

So... does that mean the Byzantines (did I spell that right?) have to execute you now?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Stephen9001 posted:

So... does that mean the Byzantines (did I spell that right?) have to execute you now?

Nope, we just have to restore Rome.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Actually, Rome is dumb.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't worry, Valeria is bringing Rome back with a vengeance for us.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Actually, Rome is dumb.

GothMod will save us from bad posts like this

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

AriadneThread posted:

she has conspired to restore the roman empire

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

I'm looking forward to Space-Rome in the Stellaris section of the LP. And then hopefully at the height of its power a civil war will break out and we'll be left with dozens of little Romes dotted around the Galaxy. Ensuring that everywhere you go there will be Rome.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

BwenGun posted:

I'm looking forward to Space-Rome in the Stellaris section of the LP. And then hopefully at the height of its power a civil war will break out and we'll be left with dozens of little Romes dotted around the Galaxy. Ensuring that everywhere you go there will be Rome.

So what you are saying is that wherever you home, that'll be rome? :v:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
All Stars lead to Trantor Rome.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

can't believe i got hiratined by own own dang thread

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Empress Theonora posted:

Live by the oppressive weapon of executing those with a dissenting opinions on Rome...

:agesilaus::respek::hist101:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

hey, it happened to Robespierre

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Live by the oppressive weapon of executing those with a dissenting opinions on Rome...

:agesilaus::respek::hist101:

You know we're better than that, yes? In a just world, this would be the appropriate punishment:

And after that, it's off to a nunnery, of course.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

leave rose lalonde olone

Actually, we really didn't put out too many people's eyes in our CK2 days, did we? I think we did it to, like, one doux the whole time through.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the greatest missed opportunity

stellaris looks pretty cool, i've kind of stayed away from paradox games, but i'm tempted to pick that one up depending on what the verdict is once it's out

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ugh, German commies and the degenerate (Yaroslavovich? I don't remember) pretender to Throne of Caesars! How did such a world come to be? How did creatures like these come to be among the most powerful in the world? Bah! Two more wrongs for Valeria to right.

OOC: Great work ET, really looking forward to the rest. I really like that expression on the Tsarina's face (and that they'd stick that loving trident on a globus cruciger of all things). Also, what kind of Republik is on Herr Syndie's document there?

• Locked thread