Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

HorseRenoir posted:

I really can't take this guy's opinions on rap very seriously. His metrics for what he considers good hip-hop is so narrow and backwards, and it's pretty clear that he doesn't really have that big a knowledge on hip-hop outside of the specific type of rappity-rap music he's into and whatever is playing on HOT 97 at the moment. I mean, really? Hopsin on your Top 8 list?

Is there something wrong with Hopsin, or do you just think there's better rap out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Agent Rush posted:

Is there something wrong with Hopsin, or do you just think there's better rap out there?

I hear soulja boi is still spitting mad fire.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Agent Rush posted:

There's a lot wrong with Hopsin. Most of it is his music.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

watho posted:

There's a lot wrong with Hopsin. Most of it is his music.

If you've ever gone to the comments section of a YouTube video to declare what is or isn't real music, especially in the format of "You say Gaylor Swift, I say Black Veil Brides" or "9/10 kids of my generation listen to lovely pop music, like my status if you've hitched your wagon to the shittiest bands of the 70s" (in the last year I saw a seventh grader who gave a poo poo about Bachman-Turner Overdrive and Lionel Richie), then Hopsin is your favorite rapper. He claims to rap about things that matter, and not "bitches or blunts or bling," but 90% of his output is unoriginal braggadocio and the remaining 10%, the one area he isn't completely derivative in, is complaining that girls wouldn't gently caress him in high school because he was special ed. He's basically Childish Gambino for kids who lack senses of humor, and last I heard from him he was still butthurt about Tyler the Creator's success in 2015, four years after anyone gave an eighth of a poo poo. On top of all that, his beats suck because he does everything in-house, and he confuses technical skill as an MC with being compelling as an artist.

Oh, and congrats, JO.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Agent Rush posted:

Hopsin has some technical talent, but he has virtually no good ideas behind it. His production and beat selection is generic and best and terrible at worst, he can't write a melodic hook to save his life, and his verses are loaded up with the kind of immature, obnoxious pseudo-intellectualism that you would find in a Youtube comments section. It's actually kind of funny that Rap Critic chose "Fly" for his list considering the video is a perfect summation of everything wrong with his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MitZ-C0tgQ

I mean, come on.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

On the subject of YouTube monetisation (sort of), can anyone tell me what the situation is regarding volume levels for adverts? Adverts can be incredibly loud. Yeah, "ad block" :words: I know. In the UK there is legislation limiting the volume of television adverts compared to program volume. As it happens, advertisers and stations routinely exceed those volume levels citing "audio compensation levels" as a reason. I wondered, is there any regulation about the loudness of adverts compared to online videos?

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

On the subject of YouTube monetisation (sort of), can anyone tell me what the situation is regarding volume levels for adverts? Adverts can be incredibly loud. Yeah, "ad block" :words: I know. In the UK there is legislation limiting the volume of television adverts compared to program volume. As it happens, advertisers and stations routinely exceed those volume levels citing "audio compensation levels" as a reason. I wondered, is there any regulation about the loudness of adverts compared to online videos?

No, there is no regulation, at least not universaly (I'm sure some country has regulated this by now, but it's not the US or Canada).

There's a double whammy here, too. On broadcast TV you've got standards and regulations for the ads, but you also have standards for the content. There's variance, of course, but TV shows are all going to be around the same loudness.

YouTube, not so much, and because headphones are such a common way to engage with online media we, as an audience, are broadly more tolerant of audio that's significantly less loud than would be considered acceptable on TV. So while broadcast TV dialogue will vary from program to program by ~6dB, popular YouTube channels (a caveat to exclude the barely-audible LPers no one watches) will vary by as much as 24 dB.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
ContentID question: If someone claims monetization on your video-- and later releases it-- do you get retroactively paid the money that video raised?

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

lornekates posted:

ContentID question: If someone claims monetization on your video-- and later releases it-- do you get retroactively paid the money that video raised?

NOPE!
:suicide:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

lornekates posted:

Nope. This also includes false contentID claims or copyright strikes; you will not get paid a penny for any views on your videos until your dispute gets through, which can sometimes take weeks and usually always happens when your video is getting the most traffic, ie directly after it's release.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nope. This also includes false contentID claims or copyright strikes; you will not get paid a penny for any views on your videos until your dispute gets through, which can sometimes take weeks and usually always happens when your video is getting the most traffic, ie directly after it's release.

loving hell, it's worse than I thought.

So if someone releases a review of a current movie-- one that's really only going to get views for the opening weekend of the film-- and some troll ContentIDs it-- the creator loses out on literally all the revenue for their work?

=(

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Brad reviews - uh - Homestuck, I think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKLwprcW8Ew

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

lornekates posted:

loving hell, it's worse than I thought.

So if someone releases a review of a current movie-- one that's really only going to get views for the opening weekend of the film-- and some troll ContentIDs it-- the creator loses out on literally all the revenue for their work?

=(

ContentID is a 100% automated process, no flagging involved; a troll can DMCA a video but YouTube is trying to take steps to prevent that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Beefstew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av80EV5Yh9s

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 4, 2016

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Beefstew posted:

How is it that the midnight screenings always seem to underplay these movies?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It seems like Brad is reviewing every bad movie he's seen in theaters. Can't wait for that Transformers 3 review.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beefstew posted:

YEEEEEEEES :fap:

Finally! FIIIIINALLY :kheldragar:

I've been waiting three loving years for this one after that Midnight Screenings review. Thank you, Brad, if you're somehow reading this.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

It seems like Brad is reviewing every bad movie he's seen in theaters. Can't wait for that Transformers 3 review.

I approve of these Cinemidnight Rescreenings: Midnight's Revenge.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
New episode! I reviewed David Cronenberg's Crash! Come for the bisexual James Spader, stay for the hot takes on Andy Warhol.

This is only the second Cronenberg movie I watched (and second I reviewed.) The other was M Butterfly - which was also the review where I impersonated Kyle Kallgren. No fake Kyle Kallgren in this, which I'm sure is a development he'll be happy about.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Ross just posted a new Game Dungeon.

It wasn't very good. Never have a guest star again, Ross. Also, I looked up the creator of the game and holy poo poo all her websites are like this time capsule back to Geocities.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Yeah, I recognise that name too. That woman must have a long list of trouble trailing behind her.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

JDR she was one of the biggest subjects on that old portal of evil website. My memories pretty sketchy but there was a lot of stuff they brought up. Though I do remember something about a horrible webcomic.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baka-nin posted:

JDR she was one of the biggest subjects on that old portal of evil website. My memories pretty sketchy but there was a lot of stuff they brought up. Though I do remember something about a horrible webcomic.

Her webcomic is actually insanely cool.

Evidence: http://unicornjelly.com/uni001.html

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jsor posted:

Ross just posted a new Game Dungeon.

It wasn't very good. Never have a guest star again, Ross. Also, I looked up the creator of the game and holy poo poo all her websites are like this time capsule back to Geocities.

The minute I saw 'Geocities' and 'JDR', I knew it had to be Boppin'. I actually remember playing that game when I was really young, and trying the freeware version a few years back. I never got really far in it, so it was nice to see how creative (and insane) the game gets.

I agree with you, though, that the episode wasn't really that great. I think the problem is that between Tom and Ross, it feels like you're watching two different reviews.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Her webcomic is actually insanely cool.

Evidence: http://unicornjelly.com/uni001.html

Iiiiiii think they were referring to Pastel Defender Heliotrope, in which a sex doll comes to life and becomes a magical girl.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Jennifer Diane Reitz is one of those human trainwrecks of hushed Internet legend. Big difference between her and most of her ilk, though (who tend towards the weird-but-harmless side of things), is that she's made herself other people's problem by doing things like claiming the transsexual.org domain name and filling it with awful, dangerous pseudoscience.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puppy Time posted:

Iiiiiii think they were referring to Pastel Defender Heliotrope, in which a sex doll comes to life and becomes a magical girl.

That one is kickass in it's own way but not as trippy.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually I misremembered, PDH is also insanely trippy.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I read through PDH, and trippy isn't the half of it.

It's also very grimdark in places. As far as I know, one character in it seems to be there to show how horrible it is for a woman to live in the main setting's super-patriarchal society.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Man, there's a difference between the clips Todd shows and the real thing. I didn't get why he hated Shawn Mendes' Stitches so much. But now that my doctor is 45min late and I've heard the office radio play it like 3 times? Holy poo poo play anything else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Max Wilco posted:

The minute I saw 'Geocities' and 'JDR', I knew it had to be Boppin'. I actually remember playing that game when I was really young, and trying the freeware version a few years back. I never got really far in it, so it was nice to see how creative (and insane) the game gets.

I agree with you, though, that the episode wasn't really that great. I think the problem is that between Tom and Ross, it feels like you're watching two different reviews.

I thought it was funny when Ross started staring at Tom while smiling as Tom begged to be let out of the video.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What is Stu Pickles doing in the future?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So after hearing about what happened with him on youtube recently, I've been getting into I Hate Everything over the last couple of days and I have to say that I was legit suprised by him. I was kinda just expecting an overly negative whiner but he's actually pretty decent.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not to get anywhere close to Spoonywatch but I've been following his Twitter and Patreon on and off. Think there is any chance of him ever getting that "next review" out? I mean what is there to expect at this point? Does his Patreon need to go to zero dollars before he gives a crap?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Jsor posted:

Man, there's a difference between the clips Todd shows and the real thing. I didn't get why he hated Shawn Mendes' Stitches so much. But now that my doctor is 45min late and I've heard the office radio play it like 3 times? Holy poo poo play anything else.

At first I was okay with Stitches, but it really starts to grate on your nerves with multiple hearings.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tracula posted:

Not to get anywhere close to Spoonywatch but I've been following his Twitter and Patreon on and off. Think there is any chance of him ever getting that "next review" out? I mean what is there to expect at this point? Does his Patreon need to go to zero dollars before he gives a crap?

His last actual review was Massacre at Central High, and that was posted Feb. 10, 2015 (the first part of it, at least). It's been nearly an entire year since that video, and in that time, he's only done vlogs, live-streams and Counter-Monkey stuff. The last thing he posted was a wrestling vlog he posted in December. I don't even know what he's working on anymore. I recall someone saying he was going to review another Final Fantasy game.

Why couldn't he just do another riff on an FMV game? Those can't be that hard to make, right? :negative:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Kokoro dream?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tired Moritz posted:

Kokoro dream?

Wish. A kokoro (or "heartfelt") wish.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Max Wilco posted:

Why couldn't he just do another riff on an FMV game? Those can't be that hard to make, right? :negative:

I'd be on board for that but he might have lost his chops. He hasn't done any game reviews since summer 2014. Part of his meltdown was starting to think of himself as an artist/actor/protagonist. Riffing on bad FMVs probably looks like a "step down" or something. Final Fantasy has a big fanbase, would get a lot of attention and is what built his reputation. Also it would give him a chance for sketches and reaction shots etc. which would appeal to him more than riffing. But I figure it is too much work....

Personally, I loved his FF8 review. His points seem valid and the world/characters are those I can spend time with in a review (I never played the game). I liked his FF10 a lot less. He overplayed gags, over reacted, used too many callbacks. It seems like there is plenty there to mock but a sharper, drier take would have worked better. Even so, I'd watch both again. The later FF reviews are unwatchable - too angry, too indulgent, too long, too many reaction shots. I also think those games look a lot less absurd, just more tedious/grindy, so there is just less amusing material to mine.

Looks like the low hanging fruit of FF have already been picked, maybe?

E: I'd much prefer an FMV riff or even an edited LP like SWAT rather than another FF. His riffs are some of his best stuff. Dragonstrike is really fun, so is Phantasmagoria, Ripper and those vampire FMVs. Game Crazy and Wendy's were also pretty good, mainly because the sources were so bonkers. But his late riffs were patchy. For example, the Hallmark one was really poor. His main gag was "Why do you need a safety video for a card shop? Papercuts?" when it was clear from the video it was a safety video for people working in the Hallmark card factory. He completely misunderstood/misrepresented the source. Also the jokes were feeble. I think that was his last riff. Perhaps even he saw how weak it was. A shame, because when he gets a good source and he's on form, his riffs are really fun.

Too many :words: about a retired internet critic :negative:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
Even if he doesn't make another video soon, he should be spending his time changing all his blip videos to youtube on his site.

• Locked thread