Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This PT owns so far.

I gotta agree. I am really annoyed that so much of the awesome pt is ruined by all this loving limited garbage. All rounds modern!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

just rust posted:

Namaste, brother. It's okay you don't like it and I won't yell at anyone for calling it diamond mana or wastes mana or anything else really. I understand why people would do that and it's totally fine. Everything will be alright.

What's not okay is all these diamond eldrazi cards and lands ruining the modern format that Wizards so carefully sculpted with their shrewd banning decisions!

Ya'll seem to mix up enjoying ranting about a card game for fun with being seriously mad, which has me afraid that maybe you're seriously mad people in real life about magic.

Also diamond eldrazi's sole redeeming virtue is that it has made this pro tour dumb as hell which is way more exciting than the last one I watched.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bugsy posted:

Thats what happened to me last time so I learned my lesson and preregistered.

Going to be fun I hope. And at least there is a sealed PPTQ in the afternoon in case I scrub out (quite likely).

Yeah, preregistering for the playmat was essential for this thing to come out to about equal value for when I scrub out badly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

I gotta agree. I am really annoyed that so much of the awesome pt is ruined by all this loving limited garbage. All rounds modern!

Where you can see more Limited garbage? :confused:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Really the only good feature of the colorless mana mechanic is that basically all of the cards are well-designed, powerful and unique.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I'm gonna be really depressed when Eye of Ugin gets banned one year from today. Gotta shake up that format!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The limited games today were pretty drat good though

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Ya'll seem to mix up enjoying ranting about a card game for fun with being seriously mad, which has me afraid that maybe you're seriously mad people in real life about magic.

Also diamond eldrazi's sole redeeming virtue is that it has made this pro tour dumb as hell which is way more exciting than the last one I watched.

It's okay. I'm just mostly ambivalent about the issue so I don't have much of a desire to debate you on this nor a good argument. Yeah they added a pseudo sixth color, and I think that's fine as long as it isn't a one-off one set thing. I would prefer it show up sporadically, otherwise it would be a waste. (ha-ha) I realize this could be snow mana redux, though, and that would be dumb.

This PT is definitely more interesting than it would have been if they hadn't banned twin, I have no doubt. I can't imagine people would be as motivated to find the best build of this eldrazi deck if they could have just played twin.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Mince Pieface posted:

I'm gonna be really depressed when Eye of Ugin gets banned one year from today. Gotta shake up that format!

I'm going to be really depressed when the next set Emrakul rears her noodly appendeges in is populated entirely by overcosted/underpowered Eldrazi creatures, "just to play it safe".

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
No way Eye of Eugene doesn't eat a big ol' ban in the face

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

In case anyone is interested, Mattel and Hasbro have been in merger talks. If Hasbro is absorbed into Mattel, it could potentially lead to shake-ups in WotC operations. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

No way Eye of Eugene doesn't eat a big ol' ban in the face
I imagine they won't be in too much of a hurry to ban a powerful modern deck that uses 20 rares from the last two sets.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I imagine they won't be in too much of a hurry to ban a powerful modern deck that uses 20 rares from the last two sets.

Pretty much this. If the deck is scullclamp busted, it's going to take 3 months to ban.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

Pretty much this. If the deck is scullclamp busted, it's going to take 3 months to ban.

Yeah, I didn't mean like on Monday. I easily see them letting it run it's normal course. If (when) it's out of hand a year from now, I think the land that is Vintage-level broken in it takes the fall.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey does anyone have a link to that old aristocrats joke full of terrible stuff that had pantheon as the punchline? tia

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've gotten ~10 Oath boosters and gotten Mirrorpool, Khalitas, Kholizek, a foil Corrupted Crossroads, almost finished playsets of the common and uncommon non-basic colorless lands and I've gotten 0 basic Wastes. Am I just unlucky or did Wizards do a really stupid distro rate on them?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've gotten ~10 Oath boosters and gotten Mirrorpool, Khalitas, Kholizek, a foil Corrupted Crossroads, almost finished playsets of the common and uncommon non-basic colorless lands and I've gotten 0 basic Wastes. Am I just unlucky or did Wizards do a really stupid distro rate on them?

you're unlucky(?) I guess, they're twice as common as any other common

also just buy them from a retailer

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
That's what I ended up doing. And yeah, obviously not that unlucky with all the mythics, but unlucky with regards to that one specific card.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hey does anyone have a link to that old aristocrats joke full of terrible stuff that had pantheon as the punchline? tia

As work safe as an aristocrats joke so I mean you've been warned or something

http://coolmagicpro.tumblr.com/post/122551309448/a-gp-portland-story-cmp001

took a bit of work but there it is

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like what this set has done to Standard. It's actually managed to make me interested in Standard again before rotation.

I tried out the BWC tokens/planeswalkers deck at FNM tonight and it's super fun. Matter Reshaper being able to hit Silkwrap and Stasis Snare is cool and the games you win by going EOT Secure the Wastes into Gideon or Sorin are just the best.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

I like what this set has done to Standard. It's actually managed to make me interested in Standard again before rotation.

I tried out the BWC tokens/planeswalkers deck at FNM tonight and it's super fun. Matter Reshaper being able to hit Silkwrap and Stasis Snare is cool and the games you win by going EOT Secure the Wastes into Gideon or Sorin are just the best.

The non-eldrazi part was already a deck at the last pro tour.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

The non-eldrazi part was already a deck at the last pro tour.

I know, but I think the Eldrazi part really helps it a ton. I'm running 4 Matter Reshapers, 2 Sea Gate Wreckage, a Spatial Contortion or two, and Thought-Knots in the sideboard. And it seems to match up well against what a lot of other decks are doing now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Out of curiosity, how many colorless sources do you have, and do you think it's enough?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Out of curiosity, how many colorless sources do you have, and do you think it's enough?
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Sea Gate Wreckage
2 Foundry of the Consuls
and 3 or 4 Battlefield Forge / Llanowar wastes.

It feels like enough. If you were heavier on the colorless requirements (All I have that requires it is Matter Reshapers andSea Gate activations; plus Spatial Contortion and Thought-Knots from the sideboard) you could replace more swamps and plains with Llanowar Wastes and Battlefield Forges. I thought about Mirrorpool, but I don't have many actual creatures worth copying and it doesn't work with all the enchantment-based removal (Silkwraps and Stasis Snares) that I'm running to go with Matter Reshaper.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

As work safe as an aristocrats joke so I mean you've been warned or something

http://coolmagicpro.tumblr.com/post/122551309448/a-gp-portland-story-cmp001

took a bit of work but there it is

Excellent thanks bro. :hf:

So who is taking the new eldrazi deck to regionals tommorrow?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I don't know if the mono colorless aggro eldrazi deck is still the way to go. I'm going to continue to play the BW version of the deck but I might take some/most of the emphasis off of the processing. If the aggro version of the deck is truly the better version I really can't see why you WOULDNT include at least one other color for support.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Got rocked playing Atarka Red-which is horrible now- at FNM. Degened up some foreign Oath packs and pulled a Russian foil island and a Japanese Foil Kozilek :hellyeah:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Nibble posted:

Limited sample size, but from what we saw today this seems true. There was one game where a player stuck a Blood Moon when he was already facing down 3/3 and 4/4 Endless Ones and just lost, and another where the Eldrazi player Ghost Quartered his own land in response to Moon to fetch a Wastes and just played through it.

The Eldrazi player ended up losing that last game game though, in large part because of how small their Endless Ones ended up being. Endless One is good in the Eldrazi decks because you can pretty easily play them 2-3 power and toughness ahead of curve and there are very few things in Modern that deal with a 6/6 on turn 3. When you're casting it fairly it's not nearly as impressive, and doing the Ghost Quarter trick sets you back a land in addition to turning off your ramp. It's not necessarily a 100% hard lock but it's a serious setback.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

just rust posted:

Namaste, brother. It's okay you don't like it and I won't yell at anyone for calling it diamond mana or wastes mana or anything else really. I understand why people would do that and it's totally fine. Everything will be alright.

What's not okay is all these diamond eldrazi cards and lands ruining the modern format that Wizards so carefully sculpted with their shrewd banning decisions!

A few people quoted me and insinuated I was more upset about calling it "wastes mana" than I was. It's a pet peeve at worst. Though it did get annoying when my girlfriend tried to teach someone about it will hadn't played out thought about Magic in years. But to be fair, when someone comes at it with the attitude of "that's stupid", they're not even going to try to understand it.

I've been reading threads about other games, and Twitch chats on non-Magic streams, and it's interesting to get an outsider's perspective on colorless mana when Magic comes up. The general opinion by non-Magic players (or at least people who haven't played for the better part of a decade) seems to be: Wizards added a sixth color, breaking a core design pillar of their game, and that's bad design.

For what it's worth, I love the mechanic.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
this is gonna end up being the last modern pt too lol

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Fun fact 1: There are only 153 players in the MTG Pro Players' Club

Fun fact 2: If you try to sort them by "effective level", it sorts Gold > Platinum > Silver, because it sorts by alphabetical rather than rank :psypop:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Really the only good feature of the colorless mana mechanic is that basically all of the cards are well-designed, powerful and unique.

gently caress this. Siege Rhino them to death

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mikujin posted:

In case anyone is interested, Mattel and Hasbro have been in merger talks. If Hasbro is absorbed into Mattel, it could potentially lead to shake-ups in WotC operations. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Of the two, Hasbro is the 'stronger' one, from what I hear, so it would probably be Hasbro absorbing Mattel, rather than the opposite. Is Mattel even competing in TCGs and the like?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mattel is the larger of the two (and valued roughly 2 billion ahead of Hasbro), but while they compete in toys I don't think Mattel has any TCGs under its umbrella.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Humm, potential SoI spoilers: http://imgur.com/a/f4zEP

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I took the BC version to FNM last night and went 4-0, 8-1 in games. The deck is legit as hell. Just wish my Big Al Drazi playmat and Oblivion Sewer shirt had come in last night for it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cynic Jester posted:

Humm, potential SoI spoilers: http://imgur.com/a/f4zEP

So it's "Threshold".

Got it.

Investigate also seems dumb if that's all it does.

Oh god Fiery Temper is lightning bolt

Also, instant speed burn my god.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Are we referring to the modern deck or the standard deck?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 6, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Whoops!

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 6, 2016

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Here's a link to the Reddit post with the original image that has a few more cards in it. Dead Weight reprint, and Madness coming back is pretty sweet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/44frp5/shadow_over_innistrad_spoiler_on_dutch_ebay_like/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Tanon posted:

Here's a link to the Reddit post with the original image that has a few more cards in it. Dead Weight reprint, and Madness coming back is pretty sweet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/44frp5/shadow_over_innistrad_spoiler_on_dutch_ebay_like/

I really enjoy the lack of fucks given after spoiler gate.

• Locked thread