Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SonicRulez posted:

Do tanks get some kind of bonus based on how many enemies they pull at once or is it just a speed thing? Wiped in the last like 3 hard mode dungeons because the Tank pulled 10 enemies and the healer just couldn't keep up and the two DPS (one being me) couldn't kill the enemies quick enough. I just don't understand why you wouldn't tackle it in waves when nearly every dungeon naturally staggers enemies.

On that note, I have to say that most dungeons are pretty cool. Halatali Hard was a fun concept. Pharos Sirius was pretty and creepy. Some are totally forgettable. Like I can't say anything about Lost City except that I always thought Diablos was a cool summon and I'm sad he got demoted to Not-Primal. Copperbell Hard can suck one. So can Titan Hard. Not looking forward to Titan EX at all, thank Christ that's not the horsey I want.

The only thing remotely close to getting a bonus for extra mobs is Bloodlust + Overpower on WAR and just using Blood Price in general on DRK, although the gains are not worth the effort of surviving those extra mobs.

Essentially it's a thing stupid tanks do to make you think they've got a big dick. If the DPS and especially the healer can't keep up then the tank is bad at pacing encounters so things run smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Also people yell at tanks who don't do Speed Racer pulls for whatever reason, and a lot of the time an impatient DPS/healer will go ahead and pull more things if they feel the run isn't going fast enough, so a lot of tanks just learn to grab loving everything and hope for the best.

As a healer, it kind of irks me when a tank pulls everything and is just barely geared enough to survive, because I have to focus all my attention on healing and can't holy/aero 3 or shadow flare/spread dots, so it ends up going slower than if they'd just taken the drat pulls individually.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

SonicRulez posted:

Like I can't say anything about Lost City except that I always thought Diablos was a cool summon and I'm sad he got demoted to Not-Primal.

He shows up again... eventually.

Apparently you didn't kill him in Lost City so he shows up during Void Ark after regaining more power. There's a good chance we're going to be doing more with him before the end of the Shadow of Mhach story line.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Titan EX is actually a reasonably quick pony farm if the group is vaguely consistent because you can get 2 minute kills. He's like Garuda and Shiva in that sense, just the landslides mean the skill floor needs to be a bit higher on the group.

Groups go for multi-pulls because AOE attacks become more efficient the more targets you can hit at once; damage is higher that way and it means you can clear that dungeon for the 50th time a few minutes faster. This assumes, of course, that the group can handle the extra damage and can actually kill the combined enemy pool faster than doing the single group pulls. Neither way is strictly correct, but the tank needs to adjust to what the other party members can actually do (in either direction).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Square really doesn't want you to do this though and has started putting up barriers in dungeons that block the way until specific enemies die because they hate expediency I guess.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remember Lost City because of the music and that it was basically Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind: The Instance.

Multiple pulls are strictly for speed of clearing. Some people overestimate their groups abilities which leads to wipes. Good tanks learn from this when it happens. Even Better tanks prevent it in the first place (by at a glancing their classes and having knowledge of how hard the mobs hit them under various CD's etc.)

voltcatfish posted:

Square really doesn't want you to do this though and has started putting up barriers in dungeons that block the way until specific enemies die because they hate expediency I guess.

It's the price everyone paid by speedrunning Brayflox Hard to the ground. They're forcing a minimum required completion time because a: they want the rewards to match up to their internal 'time spent doing thing' metrics and b: so that you experience the content they spent months crafting and filling with detail.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 6, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The more mobs the more return on aoe skills, the more return on aoe skills the more damage done, the more damage done the faster the dungeon. Embrace your name and go fast.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Don't forget directly nerfing a lot of powerful AoE abilities by making it lose 10% potency per mob till you're doing 50% potency to every mob past 5. Its as if a game that makes money off subscriptions is trying to extend playtime.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Leal posted:

Don't forget directly nerfing a lot of powerful AoE abilities by making it lose 10% potency per mob till you're doing 50% potency to every mob past 5. Its as if a game that makes money off subscriptions is trying to extend playtime.

I mean I can't really think of any dungeons that get completely wrecked by speed pulls except Brayflox HM

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Leal posted:

A lot = 3?

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

They started long ago and a good portion of the dungeons have these to the point where an unhealable pull is impossible to do. Which begs the question what exactly are these big scary pulls people are talking about that healers "can't heal".

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

There are no pulls you can't heal, but plenty of tanks you can't keep alive

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I joined an ex roulette in progress today and ran into a friendly paladin. I've been playing this game for a few months, I'm surprised it took this long to run into someone who decided to be a poo poo for no reason.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

The only thing remotely close to getting a bonus for extra mobs is Bloodlust + Overpower on WAR and just using Blood Price in general on DRK, although the gains are not worth the effort of surviving those extra mobs.

Dark arts+Abyssal drain :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hommando posted:

I joined an ex roulette in progress today and ran into a friendly paladin. I've been playing this game for a few months, I'm surprised it took this long to run into someone who decided to be a poo poo for no reason.

As much of an rear end in a top hat as that guy is, that doesn't constitute an abuse of votekick. In fact, pretty much nothing does.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder if I should even be bothering with normal Alexander anymore, given the dungeon stuff is only five ilvls short. On the other hand, the music and aesthetic are maybe worth the alexander asshattery.

This mortal coil we serve is taut like a spring; step back

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

As much of an rear end in a top hat as that guy is, that doesn't constitute an abuse of votekick. In fact, pretty much nothing does.

Calling him a "human being rear end bitch" constitutes harassment, which GMs tend to take more seriously.

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder if I should even be bothering with normal Alexander anymore, given the dungeon stuff is only five ilvls short. On the other hand, the music and aesthetic are maybe worth the alexander asshattery.

This mortal coil we serve is taut like a spring; step back

I decided to do a couple of A1 runs and people still cannot for the life of them figure out how to do the adds correctly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

This right here is why people always said 'source your quotes' before someone got pissy about that becoming a meme :cripes:

It was me and I stand by it

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Hommando posted:

Throw this little street trash boy into the loving garbage can please.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

Throw this little street trash boy into the loving garbage can please.

I did a quick search of the lodestone while he was being a jerk and saw that him and the rest of the party were all in the same FC. I knew I was going to get kicked, and I wanted to trash talk back, but I knew I was better off keeping it clean if I was going to report him.

It only took about 15-20 minutes for a GM to respond.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

voltcatfish posted:

I mean I can't really think of any dungeons that get completely wrecked by speed pulls except Brayflox HM

That's the one where we got wrecked. Or at least the last one where that happened and I thought "Why is this happening? Why is he running so far?"

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

What's the best option for ranged DPS now? Are black mage and summoner my only other options?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Don't get caught up in best or worst.

That said, it's BLM, it's always BLM because if you can keep Enochian up constantly (which is totally possible, just needs practice) you do the most sustained damage at range.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hommando posted:

Just tell him you're trying to win the war. It's your patriotic duty.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fishious posted:

They started long ago and a good portion of the dungeons have these to the point where an unhealable pull is impossible to do. Which begs the question what exactly are these big scary pulls people are talking about that healers "can't heal".
My last three Arboretum runs I've had the tank die on the second Honeycomb.

...and the healer.

...which is why /fistbump exists, to fistbump the other surviving DPS in the Queen arena while we wait for them to run back.

What is it with people and dying there? I'm only a DPS, is it really that bad to keep the tank alive while we burn down the Honeycomb?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My last three Arboretum runs I've had the tank die on the second Honeycomb.

...and the healer.

...which is why /fistbump exists, to fistbump the other surviving DPS in the Queen arena while we wait for them to run back.

What is it with people and dying there? I'm only a DPS, is it really that bad to keep the tank alive while we burn down the Honeycomb?

Final sting can be pretty final.
It's often safer to kill the orn hornets or whatever they're called before focusing the wall.

Is Excalibur hosed atm or is it just me?

Mymla fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 6, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Has excal just taken a poo poo or is it just me?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I'm in-game but I just got a message they're doing a maintenance to address technical issues soon so it's not just you.

E: The honeycomb wall is harsh on unprepared tanks and/or healers because the Orn Hornets have Final Sting, and Final Sting does damage equal to 90% of the max HP of the player it hits (while killing the hornet). Unlike some other hornets in the games these one just cast it after being alive a while; it takes a slight bit longer but tends to be smoother if you just kill the hornets as they spawn, first one spawns as you hit the honeycomb the first time, the second one spawns when it hits 50%.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I was getting can't connect to the duty finder server errors so I decided to relog and haven't been able to log back in.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was getting can't connect to the duty finder server errors so I decided to relog and haven't been able to log back in.

I was just saying in FC Chat how I got into an LLDR fine. Upon completion kicked to login screen.

Now I'm stuck. Guess I'll go make Breakfast.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

All Square accomplished by putting in barriers that don't release until a mob dies is a clear and abrupt marker of how many mobs you should be pulling in one go, which is everything up to that barrier.

Also I'm soooooo close to having both AST and BLM @ 60 / ilvl190 my first 30 days playing.

I got grinding to do today :getin:

RE: Idiot tanks complaining about healing DPS. I usually just ask them if anyone has died yet since I've been there and tell them to shut the gently caress up after they reply no.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 6, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Man, I was just complaining about DF not queuing me instantly as a tank and BAM disconnected and I can't get back in. Sorry, game!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Smart Car posted:

E: The honeycomb wall is harsh on unprepared tanks and/or healers because the Orn Hornets have Final Sting, and Final Sting does damage equal to 90% of the max HP of the player it hits (while killing the hornet). Unlike some other hornets in the games these one just cast it after being alive a while; it takes a slight bit longer but tends to be smoother if you just kill the hornets as they spawn, first one spawns as you hit the honeycomb the first time, the second one spawns when it hits 50%.

You don't even need to kill them (unless the tank is maybe a Dark Knight?). I find that I have enough time to stun them as a Warrior when they're casting Final Sting. Once it's been stunned, they don't seem to bother with it again. I've just gotten Dark Knight to 60 today, so I have no idea if the extra 5 seconds throws that off or not, and if you have a White Mage going to town with Holy for some reason then you might be screwed.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Whoever decided that a datacenter login failure kicks you back out to desktop is an rear end in a top hat.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Digital_Jesus posted:

Whoever decided that a datacenter login failure kicks you back out to desktop is an rear end in a top hat.

It makes a vague amount of sense if you assume that they're horrible at everything network related.

Essentially they don't differentiate between "session expired" and "data center down" so both dump you back to the desktop because you need a new session. What they really should be doing is checking to see if you still have a session with the login servers and only dumping you back to the launcher if they determine you need to create a new session.

Of course, they also have yet to implement forced-logout, meaning that if you drop connection, you can look forward to several minutes of Error 3102 until the game server finally times out your logged in character, rather than just saying "hey, same client just reconnected, maybe I should kill the existing session and start a new one."

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/dab1e62154874404c2894c5e1f759cdace90ca20

No ETA from the looks of it.

Balls

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

You don't even need to kill them (unless the tank is maybe a Dark Knight?). I find that I have enough time to stun them as a Warrior when they're casting Final Sting. Once it's been stunned, they don't seem to bother with it again. I've just gotten Dark Knight to 60 today, so I have no idea if the extra 5 seconds throws that off or not, and if you have a White Mage going to town with Holy for some reason then you might be screwed.
I tend to prefer going with the assumption that my tank will not remember or know to do so unless I specifically know the tank, I'd rather the honeycomb wall take ~30 seconds longer to take down rather than having to wait for someone to release and run back basically.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Another problem is a lot of tanks, in my experience, don't use cooldowns on that pull and, most importantly, decide to contribute to the DPS on the honeycomb instead of just facing the hornets and focusing on keeping hate/alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I contribute DPS there as a tank because unless I'm running with geared goons I out-DPS most pubbies I come across.

I use my cooldowns, though, and usually have no problem surviving.

• Locked thread