Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...

SupSuper posted:

There's definitely something unsettling about that combination of puke-green and dirt-brown. Maybe tone down the green saturation so it's easier on the eyes and transitions into the brown better?
Tried a couple of things... https://vine.co/v/iizrzPQzT2j

Also, water level...

Oh and I did a quick pixel daily - Don Copal from Grim Fandango. Kinda rough but whatever :D

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Apple Jax posted:

Anyone ever make Commodore 64 pixel art? Or know of a good tutorial?

I'm working on a project that needs to look like C64 graphics. I've googled and of course found some old game screenshots but if someone's got a good guide that would be awesome.

The color palette is going to be a bitch :barf:
This video gives you a brief rundown on how C64 graphics work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh0ytz8S0k
If you're a real sticker for accuracy there's also this long write-up.

The key attributes to take away for pixel art are:
- 320x200 background split into 8x8 cells, limited to 2 colors per cell.
- 24x21 sprites limited to 1 color (transparency is a color).
- 8 sprites per scanline.
It basically favors tile-based graphics or monochrome pictures with color selectedly filled in. Example.
You could also use multicolor mode, which was the most common in games. This got you 4 colors per cell (3 for sprites), but reduced the horizontal resolution by half, so each "pixel" is actually 2x1.

Edit:
I like it. :)

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 24, 2016

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Apple Jax posted:

Anyone ever make Commodore 64 pixel art? Or know of a good tutorial?

I'm working on a project that needs to look like C64 graphics. I've googled and of course found some old game screenshots but if someone's got a good guide that would be awesome.

The color palette is going to be a bitch :barf:

C64 palette owns. Actual colour values differed between each machine, the ones on that wiki page are really bad & garish. I normally use ptoing's version, which is a slight edit of the pepto palette

You say it needs to "look like" C64, which I assume means you don't need to keep to the strict rules around sprites etc? If so, I'd just work in widepixel and maybe try to limit tiles to 3 or 4 colours max. You can work with a 2:1 aspect ratio in photoshop:

I haven't done C64 stuff in years lol

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Disappeared for two weeks to work on a Little Awful Jam game. It's a broken mess but the art was fun!

I'm back working on tiles again and its so much more chill, holy poo poo.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

ah right, awfuljam. here's some 1bit pixel art I made for it

http://pizzamakesgames.itch.io/the-view-down-cold-firgun

also been trying to turn the initial *programmerart* (is there a smiley for that?) for that zx spectrum inspired game I'm making into something a little more worthy of being called pixel art

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I can't Stop

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

SupSuper posted:

This video gives you a brief rundown on how C64 graphics work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh0ytz8S0k
If you're a real sticker for accuracy there's also this long write-up.

The key attributes to take away for pixel art are:
- 320x200 background split into 8x8 cells, limited to 2 colors per cell.
- 24x21 sprites limited to 1 color (transparency is a color).
- 8 sprites per scanline.
It basically favors tile-based graphics or monochrome pictures with color selectedly filled in. Example.
You could also use multicolor mode, which was the most common in games. This got you 4 colors per cell (3 for sprites), but reduced the horizontal resolution by half, so each "pixel" is actually 2x1.

Edit:

This is super helpful, thanks! I've done pixel art before but I know there are a bunch of 'rules' for c64 art. This is a great start.

Exclamation Marx posted:

C64 palette owns. Actual colour values differed between each machine, the ones on that wiki page are really bad & garish. I normally use ptoing's version, which is a slight edit of the pepto palette

You say it needs to "look like" C64, which I assume means you don't need to keep to the strict rules around sprites etc? If so, I'd just work in widepixel and maybe try to limit tiles to 3 or 4 colours max. You can work with a 2:1 aspect ratio in photoshop:

I haven't done C64 stuff in years lol

And this is excellent to see there are some alternate color pallets to that awful one I found. Thank you both!

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

I signed up to a couple of these in the hopes that maybe I can get better at this stuff. Just gotta find the time to do it...

SupSuper posted:

Yeah!

:boom:

A bit more footage here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqClpzSknpo

Warning: I'm kinda awkward :sweatdrop:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Moving on from wildernessy stuff to actual man made buildings

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Technically your wilderness is also man-made ;)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So around this time of year people on Tumblr draw themselves as witches. I don't know why it's not around Halloween but whatever, it's Goblin week too which I also enjoy a lot and have to do something for. So here's that:

Also I'm still making tiles...

wayfinder posted:

Technically your wilderness is also man-made ;)

:bahgawd:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Shoehead posted:

So around this time of year people on Tumblr draw themselves as witches. I don't know why it's not around Halloween but whatever, it's Goblin week too which I also enjoy a lot and have to do something for. So here's that:

Also I'm still making tiles...

:bahgawd:

Weird floating water rocks.

Looks nice!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Drawing caves sucks!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Tileset desperately needs trees but I wasn't quite there with leafs so;

Practice!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
This is a mockup tileset for a single player game that has a sort of co-op theme. The idea is that there are giant blobs that want to consume your team, and you need to get your team safely out of the blob's territory. You can control one unit at a time, and when you switch away from a unit it will carry out a simple task by itself. The tasks can be things like bracing a door, or firing from an overwatch position. The unit being actively controlled is going to be running around setting up paths to channel the blob away, or battling the blob directly to cause a distraction or weaken the blob momentarily to allow trapped units to escape. The gameplay would allow for a little bit of jumping but mostly I would want the levels to be more about using elevators for vertical mobility.

This is using my own version of the expanded C64 palette.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I did another witch for my GF for her birthday

And more stuff for my newer tiles, it's starting to all come together, bar some palette tweaks. Some stuff is way more contrasty than the rest.

Scut posted:

This is a mockup tileset for a single player game that has a sort of co-op theme. The idea is that there are giant blobs that want to consume your team, and you need to get your team safely out of the blob's territory. You can control one unit at a time, and when you switch away from a unit it will carry out a simple task by itself. The tasks can be things like bracing a door, or firing from an overwatch position. The unit being actively controlled is going to be running around setting up paths to channel the blob away, or battling the blob directly to cause a distraction or weaken the blob momentarily to allow trapped units to escape. The gameplay would allow for a little bit of jumping but mostly I would want the levels to be more about using elevators for vertical mobility.

This is using my own version of the expanded C64 palette.

Looks like a really cute mashup of Lemmings and like Mr. Driller or something.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's a good way to describe the way I wanted to show a balance of considered strategy with the ability for the player to bounce around in action gameplay. I think I'll keep this in mind for when I can do a game collab with a coder.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
If we're still mocking things up, I wanted to try out my small-palette muscle on some super simple, blockier low-res stuff:

Just screams "strategy gam" don't it?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is it for a strategy game? I like that hexagonal dither pattern on the grass.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Yep! I want to do some kind of simple strategy prototype. Not sure how I'm going to tackle it but it should look pretty fun.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Ohhhh this was tripping me out because I was reading the north-south running roof tiles backwards, like there were two wedge-shaped buildings meeting in the middle. You see what I mean? I feel like if one side of that roof is darker than the east-west running tiles, the other side should be lighter. It's not a huge deal though. I've always thought about doing a 2D game with weird impossible geometry like that.

The way you use flat-color negative space and then detail it when it meets a different surface to imply texture is cool.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Space rubble to rest randomly in the background of the shmup portions of Temporus.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Refinements to my mockup! There's now two architectural styles and I'm doing the unit sprites for each faction. There's 3 units and 3 factions, and each faction also has architectural types associated with it.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 6, 2016

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I almost feel like they should have house-roof blue hair, but that might be fire emblem in my head talking.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

I almost feel like they should have house-roof blue hair, but that might be fire emblem in my head talking.

That's... actually not a bad idea for the Greatsword units, but it's not in the character palette :(

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I feel like I took too long to do these few frames, but then again it's a bit more complex than what I'd ever really do normally. Re-learning as I go, I guess.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think when it tips down it doesn't pivot as far as when the underside is exposed

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
That's... odd. it looks fine to me. if anything, I felt the opposite when I was working on it. I rotated the model 10 degree increments for each movement, so I figured it would look about the same? Maybe it's a weird visual eye trick due to the turret.

I made some changes to it before I went to bed last night. the shading on the back engine was kinda ehh.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I should mention I have a massive allergy migraine so my perception could be off :sweatdrop:

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

I had my first real stab at doing pixel art text today:

I also featured it in my latest devlog :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjTsloCR9uo

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
That sproingy dot is v nice

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I finished up this character for Grid Gangs that I started ages ago. How was your Sunday?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Would love some feedback for this new level...

Not happy with it at all. Could be the palette... I hate the dithering in the pits. Maybe I should just make it a solid colour?

SupSuper posted:

There's definitely something unsettling about that combination of puke-green and dirt-brown. Maybe tone down the green saturation so it's easier on the eyes and transitions into the brown better?

It probably looks bad for most people, but I actually really like this color combination. It reminds me of a color mode on GBC / supergameboy when you played a GB game and could pick from different available palettes.

Mint chocolate :3:

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Yo I hope it's not lovely to ask kind of stupid questions here, but I've been exploring pixel art on my own figuring stuff out as I go along. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211#post402819960 I think that some of my problems stem from the fact that I am just doing it to mess around with it, and dont have a clear goal of what I want my stuff to look like; and right now I'm fine with this because it is just practice for me.

My question is this: I have been messing around with the idea of a Minecraft tileset just because it seems like an easy entry point, I am familiar with idea like hue-shifting and such, lighter, less saturated and more towards yellow for highlights and darker, more saturated and more towards blue for shadows - but how do I get my palette to look cohesive? Right now my palette jumps from darks to mid tones to lights, it seems, and when I try to mute the colors, or bridge that gap - the colors become too similar, or muted to the point where I think it's hard to see any real value shift. I know that it comes down to practice, learning to see the values and hues but my main question is just about the amount of colors in my palette?

About how many colors should I have? And should I try starting with darks and building up gradually or maybe doing what I am doing now and picking a "dark, mid tone, and highlight" and then trying to fill in the gaps? Maybe give me some tips on making ramps.
EDIT: Thinking about it more, I guess it comes down to whatever you are trying to depict - wood is not as reflective so wont need as many colors, right - or am I overthinking it?

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 8, 2016

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Devoyniche posted:

Yo I hope it's not lovely to ask kind of stupid questions here, but I've been exploring pixel art on my own figuring stuff out as I go along. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211#post402819960

Your url links to but. Also the link you given doesn't point to your username nor can I find it on that page.

I think you meant to do this:
code:
[url=http://www.example.com]words words words[/url]
Just repost the images people are more than willing to point stuff out to help.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
So, I'm a bad programmer but I'm even worse doing art. Can you guys point me to some resources so I can learn how to do non-cringy sprites for my demos? Just keep in mind even my stickman drawings are ugly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Japanese Phone Box posted:

So, I'm a bad programmer but I'm even worse doing art. Can you guys point me to some resources so I can learn how to do non-cringy sprites for my demos? Just keep in mind even my stickman drawings are ugly.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm a programmer and I need art but I'm bad at it. Hopefully somebody can point us both to some useful baby pixel art stuff.

Thing is all this time spent working on art assets and improving my art skill is time I could put into programming more, but my attempts at collaborating with artist friends have always fallen apart over time, so I've kinda got this "just get it done" mentality now.

Result is probably going to be lovely programmer-art though :v:

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm a programmer and I need art but I'm bad at it. Hopefully somebody can point us both to some useful baby pixel art stuff.

Thing is all this time spent working on art assets and improving my art skill is time I could put into programming more, but my attempts at collaborating with artist friends have always fallen apart over time, so I've kinda got this "just get it done" mentality now.

Result is probably going to be lovely programmer-art though :v:

Japanese Phone Box posted:

Placeholder art is your friend until you're at the point where you can show people what you're doing and they offer their services. As an artist, I know I could work endlessly on my designs but the core of everything I work on is always going to be the code and making the systems work. Graphics are by and large the LAST thing you hash out beyond something workable. I applaud your efforts to program and be an artist, but you should only worry about release art once you're at that point and 99% of everything code related is done.

That being said: This always was a good reference for me. Art and design aren't things you just read and learn, you learn by doing and doing a LOT. Try pixel dailies once you feel like you're not terrible, I mean you WILL be terrible, but only for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just a reminder: if you want premade assets Open Game Art has been commissioning a lot of tilesets, spritesheets, et cetera so people can have free-to-use assets for games. It's all almost all CC-BY licensed (ie: use for whatever, but put my name in the credits), which is great.