Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Jerusalem, how would you compare the Eighth Doctor audios to the modern TV series, since Big Finish wanted to try to make the EDA's more accessible to new viewers than the main range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Have any of the audios established the origin of the psychic paper?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

qntm posted:

What do you mean by "the origin"?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I thought everyone knew that it was a device created by Ian Psychic and Iain Paper.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think they could do a lot more with the Cybermen if they dropped the whole Iron-man thing, and their big clomping boots. Make them quieter, make them more static - really emphasize the differences between them and the Daleks.
Daleks are loud, noisy, twitchy, hate-fuelled squids (and we love them for it); the Cybermen should be cold, and still and quiet.

or they could bring back the Raston Warrior Robot who does all of that already

just come up with a better costume than a luge suit this time

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What do you mean by "the origin"?

In the original run of Doctor Who, the Doctor did not have psychic paper. In the revival, he does. I put it to you that sometime between the events of the original run and the events of the revival, the Doctor acquired this psychic paper. I am curious to know the circumstances of this event.

For that matter, how/when did he get his first sonic screwdriver?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I mean this not in a cruel way, but.... does it really matter? We know what the psychic paper does, does it really need an "origin" story? It's fun to explore the world of Doctor Who and all, but not everything needs a highly detailed origin story or explanation, I feel like going down that path leads to nonsense like the old Star Wars extended universe before that was mercifully removed from existence.

CobiWann posted:

Jerusalem, how would you compare the Eighth Doctor audios to the modern TV series, since Big Finish wanted to try to make the EDA's more accessible to new viewers than the main range?

In all serious, the EDAs have been slightly disappointing to me. There have been several absolute stand-out, excellent stories that were just great, but the general level of quality has been really quite average. They do however have the benefit of a shorter, more accessible run-time and the very deliberate aping of the revival's season-arcs (nothing out of the ordinary for many shows, but something Classic Who rarely did) means that there is always a sense that they're building to something.

I'm about halfway through the 3rd season now and I like the general theme of "the Doctor has become detached from humanity and is getting back in touch thanks to Lucie's presence", but so far I haven't listened to a single story that made me go,'Wow, that was amazing" like something like Human Resources or Grand Theft Cosmos did. I'm looking forward to finishing up season 3 and 4 so I can finally move on to Dark Eyes and then Doom Coalition.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

nonsense like the old Star Wars extended universe before that was mercifully removed from existence.

Hey; a lot of the old EU was really good!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm going out on a limb and guessing a Time Lord gives to to the Doctor during the Time War, and the Doctor says "I don't need this!" and he throws it on the floor of the TARDIS during a War Doctor Big Finish story.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

Please don't lie; to us or to yourself.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

qntm posted:

In the original run of Doctor Who, the Doctor did not have psychic paper. In the revival, he does. I put it to you that sometime between the events of the original run and the events of the revival, the Doctor acquired this psychic paper. I am curious to know the circumstances of this event.

Where did he get his dinner the night before Rose?

Maybe he bought the paper in a shop. Dialogue all the way back in Eccles's time suggested it was just a piece of generic future tech.

qntm posted:

For that matter, how/when did he get his first sonic screwdriver?

He revealed he had it in Fury from the Deep, it didn't have an "origin".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

Please don't lie; to us or to yourself.

I still reread parts of it to this day!

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

qntm posted:

Psychic paper is a revival thing but Terrance Dicks used it in a Second Doctor story titled World Game. It was given to him by The Celestial Intervention Agency (a Time Lord black book organization) to help him blend into french society. Whether you accept that as canon or not is up to you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
his midichlorians sensed the time war and gave him the power to make psychic paper by eating wood pulp and making GBS threads it out like a wasp

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I just figured you could embed that moment in a good story, that's all. Cripes.

E:

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Psychic paper is a revival thing but Terrance Dicks used it in a Second Doctor story titled World Game. It was given to him by The Celestial Intervention Agency (a Time Lord black book organization) to help him blend into french society. Whether you accept that as canon or not is up to you.

That's neat. I didn't realise Terrance Dicks was still alive, let alone that he'd written anything since the revival.

qntm fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 6, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's not like the Doctor Who Extended Universe isn't packed with terrible writers explaining bits of loose story elements from the show. Honestly, I think doing that is part of the test to get your Bad Licensed Novel Author card.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

"A lot" is strong language.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

jivjov posted:

it really wasn't

even the Thrawn trilogy was amateur hour

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

qntm posted:

It's actually going to be part of a larger puzzle in Moffat's last series. A Psychic Wallpaper.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

And More posted:

It's actually going to be part of a larger puzzle in Moffat's last series. A Psychic Wallpaper.

Wasn't that basically the haunted hotel episode?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

In all serious, the EDAs have been slightly disappointing to me. There have been several absolute stand-out, excellent stories that were just great, but the general level of quality has been really quite average. They do however have the benefit of a shorter, more accessible run-time and the very deliberate aping of the revival's season-arcs (nothing out of the ordinary for many shows, but something Classic Who rarely did) means that there is always a sense that they're building to something.

I'm about halfway through the 3rd season now and I like the general theme of "the Doctor has become detached from humanity and is getting back in touch thanks to Lucie's presence", but so far I haven't listened to a single story that made me go,'Wow, that was amazing" like something like Human Resources or Grand Theft Cosmos did. I'm looking forward to finishing up season 3 and 4 so I can finally move on to Dark Eyes and then Doom Coalition.

I think the advantage of the EDAs is that there are fewer stories which are complete duds or make you want to scream. You never really get Scherzo but you don't get Creed of the Kromon either, which is okay, because the Main Range still handles both of those extremes in terms of wild experimentation. It helps to break things up to have a change of pace.

Sometimes I do wish the Main Range were a little less focused on three story "seasons" (as they become eventually), though. Like, maybe 9 of the stories a year are in that format and four stand-alone. I get it, though. It probably really helps them when they're scheduling the recording sessions for their actors, it incentivizes buying multiple stories, etc. etc.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

BSam, we're still waiting for you to post what echoplex sent you!

Unless you posted and I completely missed it

Sorry, been a little busy. and my phone takes poo poo pictures probably, so hopefully these aren't too bad.

These are graphic props from the recent Christmas episode, secret santa'd to me by echoplex because he is awesome.

A spare label like one used on the doctors bottle of brandy

A menu from the starliner restaurant, one of many that were used in the actual episode.

Even worse quality on my part, a photo of a print out of a screencap of when said props were used in the episode.

I'm actually kinda torn on if I should purchase an appropriately shaped brandy bottle to apply the sticker label to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now THAT is a Christmas present!

Bicyclops posted:

I think the advantage of the EDAs is that there are fewer stories which are complete duds or make you want to scream. You never really get Scherzo but you don't get Creed of the Kromon either, which is okay, because the Main Range still handles both of those extremes in terms of wild experimentation. It helps to break things up to have a change of pace.

This is true, I can't recall any of the EDAs so far being atrociously bad. Even if they were, they'd be quickly over because you're talking about a 45-60 minute running time as opposed to 2+ hours.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The final EDA series was really enjoyable, I thought. The first episode is very silly and they do a reasonable amount of risk taking throughout the back end of the run.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

qntm posted:

Sorry if I was a jerk about it! :)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

In the 6th Doctor audio "Paper Cuts", it's revealed that Draconians have interior designs similar to Japanese shoji, and can project images from a person's thoughts. At one point the Doctor ends up taking a piece.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

Now THAT is a Christmas present!

This is true, I can't recall any of the EDAs so far being atrociously bad. Even if they were, they'd be quickly over because you're talking about a 45-60 minute running time as opposed to 2+ hours.

The time alone is the clincher for me. I remember lots of little bits about these stories, more than I remember about main range stuff I listened to six months ago, simply because they're not two and a half hours long. They're definitely not without their flaws, like having a weird compulsion with having the series finales being mediocre riffs on other, better stories, but you can get through the whole thing in a commute or grocery shopping. I've basically given up on listening to anything from Big Finish's main range because it might be two hours of crap.

And the final series, from what I remember, really steps it up. There's a real good run of excellent stories.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I mean this not in a cruel way, but.... does it really matter? We know what the psychic paper does, does it really need an "origin" story? It's fun to explore the world of Doctor Who and all, but not everything needs a highly detailed origin story or explanation, I feel like going down that path leads to nonsense like the old Star Wars extended universe before that was mercifully removed from existence.
Just last week I persuaded a friend who's only ever seen the revival program to watch An Unearthly Child and The Daleks with me. He enjoyed both stories but was baffled when the Doctor didn't use his sonic screwdriver at any point in the Dalek City.

After I told him that came later with the 2nd Doctor, he asked me which story he invents or acquires it in and I said as far as I know there isn't one. My friend said that was "lame".

So, you know, mileages vary.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tell him that initially it was something that let him undo screws at a distance (which it was) :v:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tell him that initially it was something that let him undo screws at a distance (which it was) :v:

My favourite part of War Games is when the Doctor proves to a German soldier that he's from the future by slowly unscrewing a screw in the soldier's gun, and then slowly screwing it back in. Then the soldier forgets, and he has to do it a second time.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWaS5QtUZKA

Fun- tastisch!

And More fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 7, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"What's he gonna do, assemble a cabinet at them?" :smug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BSam posted:

Sorry, been a little busy. and my phone takes poo poo pictures probably, so hopefully these aren't too bad.

These are graphic props from the recent Christmas episode, secret santa'd to me by echoplex because he is awesome.

A spare label like one used on the doctors bottle of brandy

A menu from the starliner restaurant, one of many that were used in the actual episode.

Even worse quality on my part, a photo of a print out of a screencap of when said props were used in the episode.

I'm actually kinda torn on if I should purchase an appropriately shaped brandy bottle to apply the sticker label to.

This is fantastic.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

And More posted:

My favourite part of War Games is when the Doctor proves to a German soldier that he's from the future by slowly unscrewing a screw in the soldier's gun, and then slowly screwing it back in. Then the soldier forgets, and he has to do it a second time.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWaS5QtUZKA

Fun- tastisch!

That's amazing. Why does The War Games have to be out-of-print in the US? I want to watch that immediately.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That's amazing. Why does The War Games have to be out-of-print in the US? I want to watch that immediately.

You should be able to order the UK version and just set your DVD player (or computer I guess) to multi-region with a simple code (or just use VLC). Admittedly it's been awhile since I had to worry about that so maybe modern players are more problematic, it used to be you just typed in your DVD player model # + region unlock code in google and you'd immediately get a remote control code to input to remove the bullshit artificial region restriction.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

You should be able to order the UK version and just set your DVD player (or computer I guess) to multi-region with a simple code (or just use VLC). Admittedly it's been awhile since I had to worry about that so maybe modern players are more problematic, it used to be you just typed in your DVD player model # + region unlock code in google and you'd immediately get a remote control code to input to remove the bullshit artificial region restriction.

A lot of them now apparently do it with hardware rather than software, which makes it harder to bypass.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well they can go gently caress themselves then. Region-locks are bullshit :mad:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You can get a region free dvd player off amazon for $30-$40.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 8, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Region-locks are bullshit :mad:

We've finally found it: the one thing the entire Doctor Who thread can completely agree on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Friend of mine was giving away all his DVDs because he's going to go teach English in Korea, and I managed to snag his entire 4th Doctor DVD collection. I've been watching then from what I assume is the starting, being A Robot.

For the first episode of what is generally considered the best Doctor, its a pretty piss poor episode. Though everything else is pretty drat good. The only episodes that I really remember at this point are Genesis of the Daleks and Pyramids of Mars. I liked how I remembered the Sisterhood of Karn are the ones that changed the 8th into the War Doctor.

The biggest thing is that the stuff I associate with the 4th Doctor has not appeared yet. I'm at Masks of Mandragora, and he's still running around with Sarah Jane, no K-9, no Lela or Ramona, not even Adric. From what I can tell looking at DVD boxes, Ramona doesn't appear until much later, and Lela I know appears in Robots of Death, so I think she comes from Face of Evil.

EDIT: Actually, even though I haven't seen the Face of Evil in like 20+ years, I still remember a lot about it. The thing about how the primative people though the Tech people had "heads within heads" and the fact the evil thing had the Doctor's face. Actually now maybe i'll know if the episode continues on from an earlier one. Like the two Mara episodes, I loved how they had two episodes that were non-consecutive deal with the same thing, and two cultures views of it.

I did not manage to get the other Who DVDs he had, another friend got the 5th and others. I'll have to see if I can borrow them once they're done.

Isn't a Ps4 non-region locked?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

The biggest thing is that the stuff I associate with the 4th Doctor has not appeared yet. I'm at Masks of Mandragora, and he's still running around with Sarah Jane, no K-9, no Lela or Ramona, not even Adric. From what I can tell looking at DVD boxes, Ramona doesn't appear until much later, and Lela I know appears in Robots of Death, so I think she comes from Face of Evil.

Well, he has to fight the evil exes before he gets to Ramona.

• Locked thread