Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I read that whole effort post. That was my everest

I have no guess for the pool but going in for cannibalism long shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
My morbid guess is 88. :ohdear:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SaNChEzZ posted:

What is this game?

#Everest, a game I made largely based on the life and times of our favorite Canadian Lady and the yearly Everest threads. I gave a little synopsis upthread that got quoted in the OP. Download and play it now, then download and play it again once I release the next build some time this weekend with some massive tweaks and improvements. Bonus - special world record just for you included with every playthrough!

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

koreban posted:

The gods having had their fill the last two years will only require the sacrifice of 6 brave souls this season.

See, I feel otherwise. Over the last two seasons, the gods have had their fill of hardworking sherpas and poor Nelapese locals, but are starved for the souls of conceited rich westerners.

It's time to settle the score.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Xibanya posted:

Easiest way as I see it would be to replace one of their oxygen tanks with a tank of nitrous oxide. They wouldn't even notice they were suffocating. Bonus - take a spare for yourself and do whip-its at base camp to pass the time while acclimatizing.

Hell just take one of their oxygen tanks for yourself.

I'm sure people have been killed on everest for their O2 supplies.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xibanya posted:

#Everest, a game I made largely based on the life and times of our favorite Canadian Lady and the yearly Everest threads. I gave a little synopsis upthread that got quoted in the OP. Download and play it now, then download and play it again once I release the next build some time this weekend with some massive tweaks and improvements. Bonus - special world record just for you included with every playthrough!

Sounds good. Also a+ use of heidecker gif

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Has anyone asked why someone couldn't just make a compressed suit to get around the death zone issue? That's my favorite.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Put me in for 19 people are going to die this season.

Korean Barbecue Slut
Aug 6, 2009
4 will die

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

blowfish posted:

have any everest corpsicles gotten a darwin award by the way

I wanted to try and look this up but wow, I don't think they've updated their website since 1997.

sesame_samuel_
Dec 24, 2012

Pork Pro
I'm predicting 8 deaths.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Picnic Princess posted:

I've had altitude sickness and smashed my skull on rocks. I am not well.

that is so far the only normal explanation ive read.

Otner
Dec 28, 2011

by Hand Knit
Buglord

I Might Be Adam posted:

Has anyone asked why someone couldn't just make a compressed suit to get around the death zone issue? That's my favorite.

Why couldn't someone just make a compressed suit to get around the death zone issue?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Year after year, Mt Everest continues to eat people for putting their lives at risk for asinine me-too bragging rights.

I'm betting that this is the year people fight back. Forty-two people will die heroically in the process of settingt off enough explosives at the summit to knock Everest off its perch as the world's tallest.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
How long until they install the escalator?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Random Hajile posted:

Year after year, Mt Everest continues to eat people for putting their lives at risk for asinine me-too bragging rights.

I'm betting that this is the year people fight back. Forty-two people will die heroically in the process of settingt off enough explosives at the summit to knock Everest off its perch as the world's tallest.

Then people will just try climbing K2 and instead of a half-dozen dead out of 100 it'll be 88 dead out of 100.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
You make a compelling case.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Then people will just try climbing K2 and instead of a half-dozen dead out of 100 it'll be 88 dead out of 100.

Nah because the sherpas aren't that loving stupid and so there will be no impoverished third-world brown people to enable wealthy Westerners with next to zero alpine experience. The main reason the Everest tourist climbing industry exists at all is because, once the Sherpas fix all the ropes in place, it's an easy climb that anyone in reasonably good physical shape can potentially perform, regardless of experience level. K2 is not that.

Also, having defiled the sacred mountain by blowing its top off, the entire country of Nepal will be too outraged to continue allowing westerners to come poo poo up their mountains at all.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

improved death rate and we get to show an uppity mountain who's boss? i like this plan

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I watched Beyond the Edge tonight. Was good.

There's a part early on where it talks about how a bunch of people had died with no summits. I reckon these last two years have been great for Everest's KDR so I'm excited to see if she keeps it up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Leperflesh posted:

Nah because the sherpas aren't that loving stupid and so there will be no impoverished third-world brown people to enable wealthy Westerners with next to zero alpine experience. The main reason the Everest tourist climbing industry exists at all is because, once the Sherpas fix all the ropes in place, it's an easy climb that anyone in reasonably good physical shape can potentially perform, regardless of experience level. K2 is not that.

Good point. I amend my previous estimate to a 100% death rate.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Also, having defiled the sacred mountain by blowing its top off, the entire country of Nepal will be too outraged to continue allowing westerners to come poo poo up their mountains at all.

K2 is on the Pakistan/China border. It's not part of the Himalayas at all.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I love tracking the everest season so I'm gonna try my hand at the deathpool with 7 westerners and/or 3 sherpas, on the basis that everyone is spooked by the recent years' catastrophes and will bail at the first sign of trouble.

Mihai Zetta
Aug 13, 2015

I'll make the call for 28 dead on Everest this year--one of whom will die from frostbite, attempting to pose for a selfie with a dragon dildo in the Death Zone.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
There will be 11 fatalities on Everest this year. I am sure of it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sure whatever I read his thread every drat year.

9 people will beef it on the mountain.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Going to have another storm on the summit this year I can smell it. Plus with no one being able to go the last two years it's going to be loving chaos.

28 dead tourists.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
zero deaths

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
It's very weird to find this thread for the first time and 10% of posts are about how great it is every year and how they learned so much, and 90% are just lame death pool predictions. Does it kick into gear during climbing season or something?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It's very weird to find this thread for the first time and 10% of posts are about how great it is every year and how they learned so much, and 90% are just lame death pool predictions. Does it kick into gear during climbing season or something?

This is a yearly event now, a lot of us have been following it for years...the deathpool and joke posts will die off soon (like a Canadian lady) and we'll start posting SERIOUS stuff. At some point I will take photos of the rather large collection of Mountain books I have accumulated and do review type thingies. If you want to get started, Into thin Air is the best book to set off with, it is a first-hand account of the 1996 disaster which signaled the start of the crazy ego driven and summit-chasing maniacs dying on a yearly basis.

If you want to watch something, Ever(ever-ever-)est-Beyond the Limit is a good start. Get used to hearing about Tim Medvitz's injuries though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLCIpovtkU

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Rondette posted:

This is a yearly event now, a lot of us have been following it for years...the deathpool and joke posts will die off soon (like a Canadian lady) and we'll start posting SERIOUS stuff. At some point I will take photos of the rather large collection of Mountain books I have accumulated and do review type thingies. If you want to get started, Into thin Air is the best book to set off with, it is a first-hand account of the 1996 disaster which signaled the start of the crazy ego driven and summit-chasing maniacs dying on a yearly basis.

If you want to watch something, Ever(ever-ever-)est-Beyond the Limit is a good start. Get used to hearing about Tim Medvitz's injuries though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLCIpovtkU

When does the climbing season officially begin?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I can do a serious post and recommend some books within the next week as well. I've read a ton of stuff about mountaineering in the last couple of years and have found a couple of real gems.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Serious posts. And then someone dies trying to drag a giant cross up and we laugh

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Dead Precedents posted:

When does the climbing season officially begin?

Most expeditions get to base camp in late March and summit attempts are in mid-May. Then the mountain shuts down in June/July for the monsoon, and there's another window for attempts in late August through September.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Here is a cool gif of basecamp. Really shows how high up it is when you realize the clouds are right there.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Live posting from Everest now! watching the 2015 film and Montell Jordan even gets a feature

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Check out the book or movie The Eiger Sanction.

The movie has especially good climbing scenes all filmed in the dark ages before modern climbing shoes allowed everyone to be spiderman.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nuggan posted:

Here is a cool gif of basecamp. Really shows how high up it is when you realize the clouds are right there.

:gooncamp:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Sherpas are mad that you disrespected the mountain gods

they have gone home so you can carry your own drat gatorade cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Bip Roberts posted:

The movie has especially good climbing scenes all filmed in the dark ages before modern climbing shoes allowed everyone to be spiderman.

One of the stuntman climbers was killed by rockfall during filming, it's legit.