Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Kai Tave posted:

My wang pal Josh played a Youngster/Howlrunner swarm using Expose with a doomshuttle on the flank and...it wasn't terrible exactly, Expose plus Howlrunner means your TIEs are rolling 3 red with Predator essentially, but it's also a fragile house of cards and if one key component goes down then welp.

Nah, gently caress that. Howlrunner gets swarm tactics to fix the wampa/scourge order issue, and OLeader gets juke+comm relay so he can lock, focus, and then start ruining people w/marksmanship+howlrunner. It's a crushing hammer as long as you can fly a pack of 5 and keep them in range 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gerdalti posted:

What do you guys think of this as an aggressive Solo/Regen Poe combination?

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 31
Push the Limit 3
R5-P9 3
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 39

Han Solo — YT-1300 46
Predator 3
Luke Skywalker 7
Chewbacca 4
Millennium Falcon 1
Ship Total: 61

Played my first game ever last night using a different build, and Solo is pretty rad for newbies, staying out of the firing arc, and being able to use a primary turrent won me the game.

Luke crew is not worth the extra two points over straight up Gunner. If you can sneak 2 points elsewhere (PTL>VI would be my suggestion) I'd use the spare to put Engine Upgrade on the Falcon.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So I was doing some thinking about what a single B-Wing could do...

Ten Numb (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Ion Torpedoes (5)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Ten Numb (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Ion Torpedoes (5)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Be way too expensive and explode? :v:

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
e: Ignore this I should have refreshed before posting.

Just got back from my first store champs and I'm exhausted. 10th out of 32, not bad but a bit disappointing. 1 win away from making the top 4.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 6, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Having had experience flying against Soontir with PTL Poe and VI Vader at all, I've gotten in lots of reps flying against aces who move after me and shoot before me, too. I don't want to trivialize the problem here - higher-than-9 PS aces are problematic, and that's why I asked about it like three pages ago when I posted the WOP list I'm running - but while I think it's an issue, I don't think it's a "clear this ship from the meta, pack it up and go home" problem.

The problem is that Whisper builds tend to clock in at 40+ points, for a ship with 2 green and 4 hitpoints. If Whisper is arc dodged even once by a higher PS ace, meaning that she can't fire, meaning she spends next turn uncloaked, you're basically done - You're going to lose half your list in the next turn.

By no means is Whisper worthless these days, the prevalence of PS 10 aces in the current meta has knocked her from being one of the most prevalent ships in the meta to being completely situational.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ion torps on Ten is a bit of a waste of his ability; sure if you roll a crit you're guaranteed to Ion then but then what? If you're going to use Ion torps I would take Keyan. He'll have a better chance of hitting with his ability and it is better than Ten's when Ten doesn't have a way to guarantee crits (Mangler cannon).

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 6, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

KongGeorgeVII posted:

e: Ignore this I should have refreshed before posting.

Just got back from my first store champs and I'm exhausted. 10th out of 32, not bad but a bit disappointing. 1 win away from making the top 4.

You don't have PMs, but can you give me an idea on the price or supplier for those beautiful templates you made?

Have dollarydoos, need templates.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Corbeau posted:

Ten Numb (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Ion Torpedoes (5)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Ion Torpedos are Range 2-3 so your Electronic Baffle wont be needed to protect you from its Range 1 ion splash. Also Ten Numb screams for a Mangler Cannon.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ion torps on Ten is a bit of a waste of his ability; sure if you roll a crit you're guaranteed to Ion then but then what? If you're going to use Ion torps I would take Keyan. He'll have a better chance of hitting with his ability and it is better than Ten's when Ten doesn't have a way to guarantee crits (Mangler cannon).

Ion Torps dont cancel hits/crits like other Ion weapons do so he would crit and ion +any un-canceled hits (and ion everything within range 1 of the target).

I agree that Ten is prolly not the place for them though, maybe Nera Dantels?

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Tekopo posted:

Sure thing. Anyone else going to the UK open?

I'd be mighty tempted even as a first tourny as its not far and rugby season means I can't make any of the tournaments in Derby. Unfortunately its the weekend of my first wedding anniversary so I'll be making other plans.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tequila Ranger posted:

Ion Torpedos are Range 2-3 so your Electronic Baffle wont be needed to protect you from its Range 1 ion splash. Also Ten Numb screams for a Mangler Cannon.

Ion Torps dont cancel hits/crits like other Ion weapons do so he would crit and ion +any un-canceled hits (and ion everything within range 1 of the target).

I agree that Ten is prolly not the place for them though, maybe Nera Dantels?

I always forget which does what between Torpedoes and Missiles :argh:

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I just got suckered into buying a Core Set, a Starviper, and a K-Wing by a friend. I'm screwed, aren't I?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

nyxnyxnyx posted:

I just got suckered into buying a Core Set, a Starviper, and a K-Wing by a friend. I'm screwed, aren't I?

Yes, because both the Starviper and K Wing are ugly and bad

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tourney trip report: 6/21.

Match 1: Corran plus a basic B wing and a basic A wing. Corran didn't use his double tap in the first round (probably what I would have done in the situation, because a second shot was likely the following turn, but apparently not what my opponent was going for), Whisper and Soontir blew him up before he could shoot the following turn, and that's all she wrote. 100-0.

Match 2: our local shark with his loving evil PS11 Vader/PS10 Chiraneau with Palpatine list. gently caress that poo poo. 0-100. Almost managed to get the deci down to half hit points, but really struggled with it otherwise. Messed up my tactics, despite knowing what I intended to do, and spread my fields of fire rather than concentrating them. Also failed to get a lock with OL in the second round. Whisper never shot. gently caress.

Match 3: loving knife fight against two B wings with Gunner and a generic Mangler Outrider. Made some errors, lost Whisper and OL, and ended up 70-65 for a 5-point modified win, tight as poo poo, went down to the wire with 1HP Direc-Hitted Soontir.

Match 4: Jake/Keyan/Red Ace. 100-0, just took it to bits. Took a total of 2 hits in the entire game, although one was a Direct Hit on Soontir >.<.

I really like my list, but the 11/10 list is just loving poison to it. I think the only way round it is to run my own PS11, but that's basically just Vader, and I'm not buying a goddamn Raider AND an Advanced to do that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yes, because both the Starviper and K Wing are ugly and bad

honestly the K Wing ends up looking a lot better once you get rid of the red paint scheme. you replace it with a dark blue and suddenly it looks kind of reasonable.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

thespaceinvader posted:

I really like my list, but the 11/10 list is just loving poison to it. I think the only way round it is to run my own PS11, but that's basically just Vader, and I'm not buying a goddamn Raider AND an Advanced to do that.

:( :hf: :(

Oh, and thanks to whomever recommended SW: Rebels. It's fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ze Pollack posted:

honestly the K Wing ends up looking a lot better once you get rid of the red paint scheme. you replace it with a dark blue and suddenly it looks kind of reasonable.

Gotta internalize those ordnance and get rid of the ball chin, too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

From the poetic punishment department, we're in the final Swiss round and the two thug life players are paired up in a Hades of TLTs. 20 minutes of cicling before the first attack.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

TLT mirror matches are the punishment TLT players get for flying TLT swarms.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TLTs suck.

The only list that beat the VaderMator list I mentioned earlier was Miranda/Tactician, VI Poe, and Stresshog, it's a bitch of a thing. I really don't like TLTs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Miranda with tactician is a really dangerous ship and slots in nicely next to Fat Han.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Miranda with tactician is a really dangerous ship and slots in nicely next to Fat Han.

Yuk. Eww. Do not want.

E: this is filth.

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Tactician (2)
Seismic Charges (2)

Han Solo (46)
Predator (3)
Tactician (2)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Millennium Falcon (1)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 6, 2016

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yuck, ewww, meta ships! Fat Han is totally morally superior because,

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Gate posted:

Yuck, ewww, meta ships! Fat Han is totally morally superior because,

Just because I don't like it, doesn't stop me trying out the list to see how it would look. I wouldn't play it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Top 4 elimination rounds start in 20.
Brobots
Thug life
Vader zeta ace and whisper
Roark Garnett with TLT and 3 blue squadron t70s with r5 and IA

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Otisburg posted:

Brobots
Thug life

Zeta....ace? Not Zeta leader? That's interesting.

ZL is a pretty drat good ship. ZA is...okay? Really good arc dodging with that barrel roll, but of low enough PS that it's not useful against aces. Wonder if it was a points thing?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
The store champs yesterday had an interesting top 4. Not a single Poe and only 1 regen ship.

Dash + Chewie won the whole thing vs a Palp Aces list. 3rd and 4th were a KYBZ list using Miranda, and a Boba, Kihraxz and Y-wing scum list.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KongGeorgeVII posted:

The store champs yesterday had an interesting top 4. Not a single Poe and only 1 regen ship.

Dash + Chewie won the whole thing vs a Palp Aces list. 3rd and 4th were a KYBZ list using Miranda, and a Boba, Kihraxz and Y-wing scum list.

Top 4 at Team Covenant last week were
Chewie + 2 TLT Y-Wings (winner)
Poe + Ello + Stresshog (runner-up, lost it all on an unfortunate bump with Poe)
Poe + Kyle Katarn + Jake Farrel (got wrecked, hard, in the semi-finals by the poe/ello player above)
Soontir + Yorr Doomshuttle + 2x Crack Shot Omega Squadrons. (A near copy of my list!)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Zeta....ace? Not Zeta leader? That's interesting.

ZL is a pretty drat good ship. ZA is...okay? Really good arc dodging with that barrel roll, but of low enough PS that it's not useful against aces. Wonder if it was a points thing?

It is Ace I brain farted.

Btw thug on thug ended in a mutual destruction tie, the most thug on thug ending there is.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Otisburg posted:

Brobots
Thug life

For someone who hasn't really paid attention since the Decimator came out, what do these things mean?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

thespaceinvader posted:

TLTs suck.

The only list that beat the VaderMator list I mentioned earlier was Miranda/Tactician, VI Poe, and Stresshog, it's a bitch of a thing. I really don't like TLTs.

Seems like one list that can actually beat VaderPalp should be welcome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For someone who hasn't really paid attention since the Decimator came out, what do these things mean?

Brobots: IG88s in Aggressors, two of them, with Heavy Laser Cannons and... other stuff. They share each other's pilot abilities, and are shockingly agile for big ships.

Thug Life: 4x Twin Laser Turret Scum Syndicate Thug y-wings with Unhinged Astromechs.

Vader in a TIE Advanced, Zeta Ace is a low PS TIE f/o pilot who acts as a PS12 until damaged, Whisper is the PS7 Phantom pilot.

Roark Garnet is a HWK pilot who makes an ally PS12, R5 astromech flips a crit facedown once per round. Seems like R2 would be better on that build, and overall seems like a build that I'm shocked made it to top 4 in a tournament, HWKs pretty much universally suck and die.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thespaceinvader posted:

Brobots: IG88s in Aggressors, two of them, with Heavy Laser Cannons and... other stuff. They share each other's pilot abilities, and are shockingly agile for big ships.

Thug Life: 4x Twin Laser Turret Scum Syndicate Thug y-wings with Unhinged Astromechs.

Vader in a TIE Advanced, Zeta Ace is a low PS TIE f/o pilot who acts as a PS12 until damaged, Whisper is the PS7 Phantom pilot.

Roark Garnet is a HWK pilot who makes an ally PS12, R5 astromech flips a crit facedown once per round. Seems like R2 would be better on that build, and overall seems like a build that I'm shocked made it to top 4 in a tournament, HWKs pretty much universally suck and die.

Cool, thanks.

Wow, TLT is pretty crazy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

thespaceinvader posted:

Zeta Ace uses the 2 template for its barrel rolls, Epsilon Ace is the PS12.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I can see Zeta Ace being a cheap late-game threat against swarms, since it'd be super easy to dodge arcs with a barrel roll that big.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Otisburg posted:

Brobots
Thug life

It's me I'm the brobots who forgot how to play and lost like a chump to thugs.

Dun care, got my threepio and my fancy ruler and my dumb coin.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, TLT is horrible, unless you're flying it in which case it rules.

I really think they should have designed 360 firing weapons differently from the start, and given them their current stats but -1 die out of arc. Then you actually have some need to do something other than fly defensively. it's one reason I'm looking forward to Dengar, he's a strong turret whilst still having a need to actually fly properly.

What could have been I guess.

(Dengar is gonna be great:

Dengar (33)
Veteran Instincts (1)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Glitterstim (2)
Punishing One (12)

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Cloaking Device (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Total: 99

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!171:27,-1,-1,122,118,128:29:-1:;135:27,-1,145:-1:3:;115:-1,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

I call it 'gently caress you Vader I have a blocker and two loving PS11s, bitch'.

(I might not like Vader very much right now I hope it doesn't show)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Devlan Mud posted:

It's me I'm the brobots who forgot how to play and lost like a chump to thugs.

Dun care, got my threepio and my fancy ruler and my dumb coin.

Thugs won versus aces in the last round. :smith:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Otisburg posted:

Thugs won versus aces in the last round. :smith:

A dark day for fun everywhere :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

On the whole a pretty diverse field:

Vader, Whisper, Zeta Leader
Brobots X2
Thug Life X2
3 T70 w/R5&IA + Roark w/TLT
Coran/Dash
Decimator(Kenkirk Vader Buzzsaw + Palpy!)/Echo
Farlander/VI+Regen Wedge/T-70 Red Squadron Vet W/ Integrated/R2/Crack Shot
Quad Interceptors! (VI Jax, Turr, Cowall, Kanos)
Vader/Jax/Shadow Squadron Phantom
TLT Miranda/VI-autothruster-R2D2 Poe/Stress Hog
Fat Han and Miranda
Fat Han and the Bandits
VI Regen Coran, Katarn w/Jan, Juke, and TLT R4-D6 IA Biggs
Kenkirk (palpy Ysard)/Vader
:siren: TRIPLE DEFENDERS :siren: Went 0-3 but it was neat to see someone go there. (Brath with predator and two Deltas)
Blount Biggs A-Wing Katarn?
Double Firesprays (Mando Merc and Emon) loaded to the gills
Toblerone Cobra, Bossk and Laetin A-Shera
Kath Scarlet, Suhlak Z, Renthal Y
Farlander, Biggs, and 2 Bandits
Vader, Tie Adv (Colzet), Wampa, Palpy Bus

• Locked thread