Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Help Im Alive posted:

No but I don't think I've ever played a Vita game online (the only one I can even think of is Killzone)

Good Vita online games:

Freedom Wars, Helldivers, Soul Sacrifice (probably more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Regy Rusty posted:

Haha these are exactly the first three games I'm going to get as well.

My Vita and Cold Steel got lost in the bowels of the US Postal Service for 3 days but finally I got them.

The cartridge is so cute and tiny

I was genuinely surprised at the size of the cartridge when I first got mine. like, I expected it to be about DS/3DS size, but it's somehow even smaller.

Also, the memory card is even smaller, which I guess is both a blessing and a curse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Curiously, I went to a site called VN database (looks like the IMDB of visual novels) to look at games that were rated higher than Steins;Gate. There was only one called "Muv Love Alternative". It turns out it is releasing on the Vita in the West soon due to some kickstarter. So I'll probably try that out.

Muv Luv was a dumb dating sim and Muv Love Alternative is a dating sim set in a world with insect beasts that kill everyone. It's not really any less dumb but the first episode of the anime is worth a go for the ending.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

muv luv alternative isn't really a dating sim, there's not a whole lot of route choices or anything

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh, I just figured it was since the anime is one dude and a million attractive women. Is the plot actually any good then?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Buy miku

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, it's pretty schlocky 'oh poo poo everyone is going to die' type stuff, and there's some weird parallel world stuff that only half makes sense, but it does a decent job at selling the main character's PTSD when people start dropping and most of the deaths don't feel too forced. Its big problem is that it's got a ton of plot tumors that, while contributing to the world and the characters, could easily have been condensed into half the scenes instead of taking ten hours to read through without actually progressing the main plot. but then every VN has the 'way too wordy' problem.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yeah, but who is rating Steins;Gate below MLA?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lacrosse fans.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Takoluka posted:

The demographics of "lots of cute girls and cute boys who look like girls" are much bigger than the demographics for "nerdy time travel with slightly weird art". (Saying this as a big fan of S;G.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A lot of people gave Muv-Luv perfect tens but Steins:Gate has more positive ratings overall, it just averages out to muv-luv having a slightly higher score than muv-luv.

steins;gate posted:

10 1266
9 1367
8 418
7 105
6 31
5 24
4 9
3 3
2 6
1 6

muv-luv alternative posted:

10 2134
9 877
8 286
7 102
6 47
5 26
4 19
3 10
2 9
1 8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

The demographics of "lots of cute girls and cute boys who look like girls"
hate to tell you this, but steins;gate has that too

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Endorph posted:

but then every VN has the 'way too wordy' problem.

More of them need a fast-forward button for first playthroughs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most of them do, if you go into options and allow you to skip unread text.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Takoluka posted:

https://vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=tagspoil-0;rfil=;o=d;s=rating

Endorph posted:

A lot of people gave Muv-Luv perfect tens but Steins:Gate has more positive ratings overall, it just averages out to muv-luv having a slightly higher score than muv-luv.
Interesting.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 6, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As with all ratings sites it's going to be subjective, I know I wouldn't even entertain putting Muv-Luv above Steins;Gate. Mostly because ML is such an enormous chore to get through thanks to its story structure whereas S;G is comparatively a lot tighter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Endorph posted:

most of them do, if you go into options and allow you to skip unread text.

Does Virtue's Last Reward have this? I finally sat myself down to finish it and restarted after getting like 60% through so now it's mostly poo poo I've already seen.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

hate to tell you this, but steins;gate has that too

I'm aware of that, but please consider the balance between how many girls and girl-like people there are in muv luv, and how much Daru there is in S;G. At the end of the day S;G pushes, overall, more people away who're simply looking for some eye candy.

Edit: In other words, S;G doesn't throw boobs at the player.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 6, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

Does Virtue's Last Reward have this? I finally sat myself down to finish it and restarted after getting like 60% through so now it's mostly poo poo I've already seen.
I'm pretty certain it does, but it's also kind of a moot point because you can just use the flowchart to jump around to avoid old scenes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I'm pretty certain it does, but it's also kind of a moot point because you can just use the flowchart to jump around to avoid old scenes.

Old scenes is fine, but I deleted my save to play the game without the time-jumping scenes out of order.

Like when you encounter Quark's medicine if you've not seen it before you leave it behind, but if you know he needs it Sigma remembers that.

I wanted to play the game as if I'd never played it before in that regard, but sometimes I do want to skip the boring scenes.

I'll check my settings for the fast-forward, though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mithaldu posted:

I'm aware of that, but please consider the balance between how many girls and girl-like people there are in muv luv, and how much Daru there is in S;G. At the end of the day S;G pushes, overall, more people away who're simply looking for some eye candy.

that pink haired hair ribboned catgirl with the serioustime tech chin suit is cracking me up. it's like someone decided Metal Gear Rising wasn't harem enough

or haram enough

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's basically the encapsulation of my gripes with the series trying to take itself seriously.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

there's a shower scene where the protag randomly trips and falls in.

and daru is mostly just comedic relief in S;G, iunno why him existing would push people away. it's not like you're getting scenes of daru in a swimsuit.

people who like cute girls like steins;gate. kurisu won a lot of 'which anime character is the cutest' polls in magazines and stuff when steins;gate was new.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And hell 'Moeka' literally had moe in her name as well as in her personality.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

No but I don't think I've ever played a Vita game online (the only one I can even think of is Killzone)

You can upload messages in Persona 4

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In Training posted:

You can upload messages in Persona 4

How?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

dear lord.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's with those glasses

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

What's with those glasses
They have to be that size to stay on her face, because she doesn't have a nose.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mithaldu posted:

Hachi machi!

Also I barely slogged my way through Steins;Gate despite loving most of it because I cannot stand the general pacing of a straight up visual novel and the sound of this MuvLuv somehow being even more of a slog is a huge turn off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One of these days I might buy a pair of glasses that are that stupid huge just to see how many people can resist giving me rude stares in the street.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mithaldu posted:

They look like they all have beards.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

They look like they all have beards.

Whatever floats your boat, mate.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Robot Amish Chinstrap Catgirl Go! Legends

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Hachi machi!

Also I barely slogged my way through Steins;Gate despite loving most of it because I cannot stand the general pacing of a straight up visual novel and the sound of this MuvLuv somehow being even more of a slog is a huge turn off.

there's literally an entire game of highschool hijinks just to try and make you feel worse in Alternative

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Robot Amish Chinstrap Catgirl Go! Legends

Well now I'm just imagining them as the sisters from Rayman Legends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That art style is so absurdly loving ugly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That art style is so absurdly loving ugly.

a lot of PC VN artstyles are.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Motto posted:

a lot of PC VN artstyles are.

Muv-Luv doesn't seem that politically correct to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's no original Higurashi art