Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

RabidGolfCart posted:

Even better.

Is there room for Mr. Coffee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabidGolfCart posted:

Even better.

And I made a drone version.

That is a thing of beauty :swoon:

Here's a better look at the new armor frame pack.

The wings are completely enclosed, and it flanks the Atmospheric Engines to keep them somewhat safe. It won't mix with the wing-mounted missile pods though, because they'll just shoot the shuttle's armor.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

NeoSeeker posted:

I've been contemplating renting a dedicated server for Space Engineers for some time now. I'm wondering how stable they are (used to playing on a spare computer) and how much they cost?

Our DS is running on a spare computer, so I can't speak for a rented server, but I will say the stability of our DS has depended entirely on the stability of the week's patch.

It's very good for the most part, though. :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

Our DS is running on a spare computer, so I can't speak for a rented server, but I will say the stability of our DS has depended entirely on the stability of the week's patch.

It's very good for the most part, though. :)

Yeah, there's a very good reason I put a stability and notable bug list section in the OP.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
New questions!

1. Stone / Gravel: I know it's used in reactor parts but that's about it. What do you guys do with the excess? Any good mod to handle it? Any way to delete it? I dug a super deep pit behind my base and a have a connector that I have setup to vomit stuff into it.

2. Power usage and setups: I'm a little confused as to how power is handled in this game. Do you HAVE to have a battery on something to power it? Can you not just use a reactor / solar panel? I know the battery will store the energy obviously but is it required? I ask because I have a mining ship that has a battery and two small reactors. With a full charge and just hovering it tells me I have a fuel expectancy of around 54 minutes, this obviously changes as I do things but I'm kinda wondering if this is accurate as one would think the reactors would be able to power the thing for a lot longer.

3. Any good multiplayer servers anyone could recommend, possibly with a fair amount of mods?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
You don't beef a battery to power things, the reactors need more uranium to run longer

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

lilspooky posted:

New questions!

1. Stone / Gravel: I know it's used in reactor parts but that's about it. What do you guys do with the excess? Any good mod to handle it? Any way to delete it? I dug a super deep pit behind my base and a have a connector that I have setup to vomit stuff into it.

2. Power usage and setups: I'm a little confused as to how power is handled in this game. Do you HAVE to have a battery on something to power it? Can you not just use a reactor / solar panel? I know the battery will store the energy obviously but is it required? I ask because I have a mining ship that has a battery and two small reactors. With a full charge and just hovering it tells me I have a fuel expectancy of around 54 minutes, this obviously changes as I do things but I'm kinda wondering if this is accurate as one would think the reactors would be able to power the thing for a lot longer.

3. Any good multiplayer servers anyone could recommend, possibly with a fair amount of mods?

1. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=598415416 (shameless self-promotion)

2. Batteries are not required but make nice buffers for temporary spikes. A battery in regular mode (neither "Recharge" nor "Discharge" selected) will charge when excess power is available, and supply power when needed.

Splode posted:

You don't beef a battery to power things, the reactors need more uranium to run longer

I always beef my batteries.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

You do not need a battery. Batteries are simply a source of energy that cannot independently generate power. The timer that you're looking at is very likely the culmination of how long the battery can sustain itself in conjunction with your reactors. Your reactors might have enough fuel to run for a week but the battery will be exhausted in 54 minutes at the rate of push/pull. At that point, when your battery is exhausted, the two reactors might not be putting out enough juice in order to keep things running without being overdrawn.*

Solar panels generally aren't used as a primary source of power on craft unless you're operating something with an extremely low draw and a high level of confidence that you wont be dead in the water if you lose sunlight. Like a hydrogen based ship. But even then I can't think of a reason why someone wouldn't be using at least one battery.

As for gravel and so on. Until a vanilla update comes along that allows us to either place voxels or create concrete it's not terribly useful. There are mods out there that will allow you to refine stone/gravel down for trace amounts of ore/use it for concrete structures/destroy it outright, but the balance in each is rather discretionary and there are too many to quickly link up (see: lazy).

This is a good example of a good mod.

My smaller planetary mining ships have systems in place where a large number of ejectors are through a sorter to eject stone at my discretion in order to reduce weight/shuck any unwanted material.

My larger space mining ships generally segregate the stone as well if there are refineries on board, which can be a bit of a chore, but as it takes an eternity to jettison stone in large ships I generally have an optional hookup through which I can add a large cargo container, fill it with stone, and then grind it away thereby "jettisoning" a large amount of stone at a go.

e; *this is probably generally correct. I'm not 100% on how SE averages this stuff off of the top of my head.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 3, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm still not entirely sure how well I've balanced that mod. It's meant to be useful if you need a small amount of something early game and can't find any deposits of that particular ore. Later on there's never any shortage. If my calculations are correct then there should be a net loss of uranium if using reactors to power the separating and refining, unless you have efficiency or effectiveness upgrades on your refineries.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 3, 2016

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

GotLag posted:

I'm still not entirely sure how well I've balanced that mod. It's meant to be useful if you need a small amount of something early game and can't find any deposits of that particular ore. Later on there's never any shortage.

Pretty much. The jump from poverty to wondering what you're going to do with a quarter million in iron is fairly abrupt. While I can't say I've tested your mod I really doubt that people will be intentionally digging up stone in order to extract a handful of magnesium. Not to mention the cost in energy, which is precious in the early game. It's a good solution to an annoying problem.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Thanks for the info and the mod recommendation.

That being said, I'm still a little confused on how to set my batteries. According to the wiki (not sure how relevant the info still is) if you don't check anything then the batteries will try to recharge from reactors the moment they lose power and this ends up being extremely inefficient. Therefore is it not best to leave them on semi-auto?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dusty Lens posted:

Pretty much. The jump from poverty to wondering what you're going to do with a quarter million in iron is fairly abrupt. While I can't say I've tested your mod I really doubt that people will be intentionally digging up stone in order to extract a handful of magnesium. Not to mention the cost in energy, which is precious in the early game. It's a good solution to an annoying problem.

I made it by adapting an existing mod that coverted gravel directly to ingots, because that mod produced both magnesium and platinum significantly faster compared to refining the relevant ores, and produced both simultaneously. So with that mod it was actually better to harvest gravel than magnesium or platinum ore. And it effectively made refineries redundant except for processing gravel, which I thought was a bit sad.

lilspooky posted:

Thanks for the info and the mod recommendation.

That being said, I'm still a little confused on how to set my batteries. According to the wiki (not sure how relevant the info still is) if you don't check anything then the batteries will try to recharge from reactors the moment they lose power and this ends up being extremely inefficient. Therefore is it not best to leave them on semi-auto?
The problem with batteries is that they are drawn from at a higher priority than reactors, which will prompt the reactors to recharge them (with a 20% loss of efficiency). If uranium scarcity is a problem then leave your batteries on manual control (always using either "Recharge" or "Discharge" modes explicitly) and recharge them from solar panels with your reactors turned off. Personally I prefer the hands-off flexibility and accept the loss, as I play in Asteroids mode and uranium isn't too hard to find.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 3, 2016

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Gotcha. By dumb luck I landed near what seems to be a sizable uranium deposit so I think I'm ok.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

GotLag posted:

I always beef my batteries.

God drat phone autocorrect

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Standard ship-to-ship/surface shuttlecraft.

Armored Motherfucker :black101:

I already tested to see if it would survive ramming a large-block ship. It does not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch Time!

quote:

Summary
This week’s update is introducing highlights to the game to help you identify the interactive objects in the game world. Highlights are applied to all floating objects for now, and in the future they will be visible on all interactive objects, including blocks.
We also made browsing the blueprints work faster by showing you all the items as a list with thumbnails. Instead of waiting to load details about all the blueprints available at once, we load details just for the blueprint you choose to make the selection faster.
We resolved the issue with crashes caused by using custom skins. But be careful as your character may die due to lack of oxygen until this custom skin has been fixed by its creator. A guide how to fix custom skins can be found here: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/character-skins-crashing-after-01-118.7378645/
We fixed the issue with oxygen levels being reset to zero in a room by grinding or making any small change inside. We also fixed the inertia dampeners, so ships can hover over planets and not slowly fall toward the surface anymore.
And we tweaked the controls scheme a bit. Hot keys are now accessible via the Control Key. From now on the CTRL key has only this function now, so it may take couple of minutes to get used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33WrMBThfP0

Features
- Highlights on floating objects
- Faster blueprints loading
- changed controls scheme

Bug fixes
- added 'F' to perform various actions (same as K always did); you have to reset controls to default in order to have this new functionality.
- added new sound for picking up objects and moving them between inventories
- increased limit for FPS in the game to 120 FPS
- fixed oxygen gets zeroed when building a block, building/grinding
- fixed inertia dampeners not working on planet
- fixed some of the lags on alien planet
- fixed music volume too loud
- fixed some minor problems with particles (electrical effect)
- fixed when you control turret you see building cockpit
- fixed electrical damage sound not hearable
- fixed rotor has multiple lines preventing the current angle from being seen
- fixed world description not saving when creating a new world
- fixed spider blood particle missing
- fixed player killed when getting out of cockpit on planetary lander
- fixed batteries not turned off when 'Y' was pressed

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

What do they mean by "The CTRL key now only has this functionality?" I won't be able to play until tomorrow evening. Does this mean CTRL no longer ducks/decreases altitude? :\

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

XkyRauh posted:

What do they mean by "The CTRL key now only has this functionality?" I won't be able to play until tomorrow evening. Does this mean CTRL no longer ducks/decreases altitude? :\

You should be able to change it to another key, I've always had the C key set to descend/duck so I've been using the Ctrl key for hotkeys this whole time.
And I've never used K for anything so I forget what that key was supposed to do.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

The live Camera feeds mod is great, it really works well. Especially with TVSI-Tech LCD Viewscreens [DX11], which is a 3x2 LCD, made my Star Trecky inspired bridge even better.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Picked this up a few weeks ago, still fumbling my way through a lone survivor start.

Got a good supply of oxygen, plenty of uranium, and acquired enough metal to build a miner, construction ship, lovely little scout, and a production line of four refineries and two arc furnaces. Miner's good enough to keep them all going flat out. Two assemblers on the other end.

I put effectiveness and efficiency modules on them in varying combinations, but honestly I don't see much difference. Maybe I just wasn't watching close enough, I dunno.

I'm using my little platform as a construction yard for a large ship kind of like the one from Starflight if anyone remembers that relic:

Livable section up front, spine down the middle, engineering section at the back, and modular mounts for whatever I need down the spine. Seemed like a good practical design for me to copy (plus I always loved the look).

So my question is, once I have my ship built, how do I explore effectively? I've gone flying out tens of dozens of kilometres in a couple random directions while waiting for materials to process or components to assemble and found nothing. I get that space is big and all, but does the jump drive give you the opportunity to find things? Like is there a sensor array or something that can tell me "hey, might be an interesting object over here, maybe you should go take a look!" Or anything like that?

Or should I just jump randomly until I come across something?

Did I totally gently caress myself by choosing lone survivor? I can't even change my settings to get random cargo ships to fly through.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slung Blade posted:

So my question is, once I have my ship built, how do I explore effectively? I've gone flying out tens of dozens of kilometres in a couple random directions while waiting for materials to process or components to assemble and found nothing. I get that space is big and all, but does the jump drive give you the opportunity to find things? Like is there a sensor array or something that can tell me "hey, might be an interesting object over here, maybe you should go take a look!" Or anything like that?

Or should I just jump randomly until I come across something?

Did I totally gently caress myself by choosing lone survivor? I can't even change my settings to get random cargo ships to fly through.

Exploration isn't really all that substantial in pure vanilla Space Engineers at the moment. Also the random Cargo Ships are disabled (I cant remember if it's completely, or just worlds with Planets), because the devs are still working on having them not crash into planets iirc. Go to the OP and grab the Exploration Enhancement Mod, and the Midspace Exploration Scan mod.

The best way I've found to find stuff is to jump about 40km at a time (ie; double whatever your max visible range is), scan for things with Midspace's mod, jump again. Repeat until you find stuff.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

What my friends and I did in our Dedicated Server was set up a sort of "Prime" base, where we all worked together to stockpile resources, then we each built a capital ship with everything we'd need, and headed our separate ways.

Each capital ship had several refineries, assemblers, and cargo containers on it, and since we began this process before the GPS updates, we made a point of stopping every 50k meters to slap down another antenna so we could maintain contact with each other. :) It was pretty neat to see that my buddy was 3,000,000m away from my current location!

At some point, each of our capital ships parked for a while to establish a base of some kind. First came our "Alpha" expansion, nestled in the side of a huge asteroid; then "Beta," a sort of spiderweb-looking collection of solar panels, and finally the "Gamma" expansion, something that resembled a Burger King.

Really, because the game is still such early access, there isn't much to -do- with all that space, but I can say from experience that heading in a straight line out into space, you WILL eventually see something pop up on your radar. Personally I don't find the derelict vessels very interesting, but to each their own. :)

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the random Cargo Ships are disabled (I cant remember if it's completely, or just worlds with Planets), because the devs are still working on having them not crash into planets iirc.

Okay, that's a feature/mod I want. Building a base on the surface of a planet/moon, and suddenly the sky goes dark because a battelship is falling out of the sky.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Alright, I'll grab those mods this evening when I get home. Thanks guys.

Are there any specific settings I need to set for my world to make it work?

Also do I still have to copy my ship/character to another world in order to get a planet to spawn?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't think planets spawn randomly yet.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/doctoroctoganapus/myworkshopfiles/?appid=244850

Since you have to spawn in planets if you want to create your own fun I recommend this guy's work a lot. His planets really are works of art.

Personal favorites:
Mundus
Yarin (come well armed)
Valcor
Dantus

NurhacisUrn fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 5, 2016

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I'd find the game's combat a lot more interesting in space if it were more like modern submarine warfare and less like WW1 slugging matches, because it's just a mess afterwards. I wonder if I can replicate the experience with mods, even though the whole very simplistic detection ruins it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Police Automaton posted:

I'd find the game's combat a lot more interesting in space if it were more like modern submarine warfare and less like WW1 slugging matches, because it's just a mess afterwards. I wonder if I can replicate the experience with mods, even though the whole very simplistic detection ruins it.

Submarine doctrine is more based on the fact they don't really know where the other fucker is and they're underwater. That doesn't really work in space when you can have someone look out the window.

Also we got a hotfix. A very... interesting hotfix;

quote:

Update 01.120.010
- fixed crash with electricity
- fixed crash with inventories
- fixed crash with oxygen tanks
- fixed crash with planet loading
- fixed crash with sound
- fixed crash when grinding
- fixed crash with rotors

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Submarine doctrine is more based on the fact they don't really know where the other fucker is and they're underwater. That doesn't really work in space when you can have someone look out the window.

And you're fighting at ranges you can actually see stuff. Other games take the submarine style approach to space combat. Now if stuff you shot could go outside your view range...

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, then there's the factor of 'subs use weapons capable of high-area-explosive torpedos' which spaceships can't really compare with-- you're either using direct-fire weapons (chainguns, railguns) or locked and/or guided munitions (missiles, fighters); in both cases it's worthless to fire until you have the target in sight. In a sub, once you have a general idea you can set your torpedo to explode in X seconds and have a relatively certain kill within Y meters.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Well not *quite* like sub combat, more like modern naval warfare in general. I'd imagine such combat like this (in a game, so non-realistic) to go over extreme ranges, and being basically a game of whom detects whom first, objects being detectable by weight or maybe energy output, sensors having variables like resolution (size of objects/energy output treshhold they can detect) and range with both being prohibited by energy consumption, which would make different sensor sets for different situations/roles prudent. Then you'd fight with extreme long range weapons, or could have smaller fighters/bombers and drones "sneak up" on bigger ships. (by virtue of being harder to detect but at the same time being almost blind themselves for not being able to produce a lot of energy for sensor systems) You could still have your point defense weapons and when it comes to actual combat it could be a battle of overwhelming the other parties' point-defense system or maybe even electronic countermeasures to throw things like guided missiles off. Just an idea, not something that'll ever happen in space engineers (I'm not really playing it that long and am not knee-depth in the engine and what is possible but I doubt this is possible) but I think it could make for an interesting other way to play the game and I could also imagine constructing AI for something like that being a bit simpler instead of trying to teach it pitfighting maneuvers in space. But again, just an idea - I do not expect it to happen.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Aurora 4X is the spreadsheetiest of all games, but its combat is like that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You can kinda-sorta do that with gravity cannons, but even then assembled shells can be killed by mass-fire.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
40k style space combat would be better (extreme ranges with massive weapon salvos), the upcoming battlefleet gothic game looks to be about slugfests sadly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The problem is that long-range attacks in Space Engineers are really only going to work once. Jump Drives negate long-range salvo fire completely, so the only way you could really do any real damage to another player's ship is either one bushwhacking long-range strike or to get up in their face and grind them down (and even then, in the time it takes them to either hunker down and eat missiles or jump away). Then it's a matter of area-of-denial between your ships, and comes back to mass-fire.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Let's play Armchair Game Developer for a moment, then: What changes would you make, or what systems would you introduce, to make ship warfare interesting? :) I admit I know next to nothing about fleet battle games, and I'm curious to hear your insight!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

realistic space warfare would probably be like forever war where they see the missile weeks in advance but inertia is a bitch

e: and therefore wouldnt be fun

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
[Armchair Dev]
Personally, I'd like to see Large Ships as virtually immobile in combat- thrusters being weak, momentum very high, etc. Their primary mode of transport is Jumping. Perhaps adding in a smaller jump drive that only goes a few K for smaller large ships, but anyway. Plus, gun turrets being hardened a bit. Lastly, AI turrets target powered blocks sources randomly-- they don't target Guns first, they roll a die and pick, say, and oxy generator to shoot at. Decoy blocks get a better chance of being picked, and turrets pick a new target every 5-8 seconds until they find a command chair, gun, or reactor (and/or, set by the Control panel)

The idea being that two Large Ships can beat on each other for a long time, encouraging the use of directed-fire weapons (ideally, Homeworld-style Ion cannons added) and Fighters/Bombers. Have three Tiers of gun turret- Antiperson/Point Defense (can target missiles and locks quickly), Medium (current, but with tracking speed slower, can't target missiles, takes several seconds to target Small blocks), and Large (most damage, can't target Small at all, lousy tracking).

Now you have two+ capital ships duking it out and blasting holes in each other, with several fighters dogfighting between them (or a Large bombarding a Station, etc).
[/Armchair Dev]

Realistic space combat would likely be more "divert comet to hit enemy planet/landing zone(s)"... there will never be 'battleships' or 'carriers' as reality/scifi knows them. Imagine trying to hit an enemy ship in Kerbal.

cooljoesmith
Oct 22, 2010
Has anyone found any pre-made maps with a buch of planets in it? I just want to fly to different worlds and check them out, and I like seeing the planets off in the sky, something you really can do if you add them in yourself. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

easiest fix for combat currently would be to slow down the tracking rates for gun turrets and prevent rocket turrets from being able to track anything other than large ships. Small ships are currently worthless in combat because machinegun turrets mince them instantly, and none of their weapons are any good against large ships

• Locked thread