Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I would just like to say I watched Frank Lepore stream once and he seemed obnoxious

Thanks for listening because I'm sure you all care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem isn't even how oppressive it is (it is clearly oppressive just by watching people play it), its that Reality Smasher and Thought-Knot Seer fundamentally break the rules the format because the lands produce multiple mana with literally no drawback.

Hell, I wonder if this could be a real deck in Legacy where you can jam Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors to go with Eye and Temple.

I'm certainly going to try it. It kinda sucks that I don't have any City of Traitors though. I also think I only have 2 Mox Diamonds.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

It might be closer to Jeskai Ascendancy yet, the format might just shift around to deal with it.
Or modern abzan, which dominated the last PT.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Nominee for most correct post

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Eldrazi decks are insanely busted and are only going to get better as people optimize them more and develop more variants.

The meta is going to try to adjust, but I don't know how you can gameplan against creatures that come out two turns earlier than they are supposed to and have upsides that makes them trade favorably with removal spells. Combos or sweepers seem like the only way but you still have to deal with Thought-Knot Seer.

Temple and Eye are going to eat bans, imo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Did any of the Eldrazi players that made T8 get all their losses in Modern and get in by 3-0ing both drafts? That can happen sometimes with the PT format.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is going to be like Cruise/Dig in Legacy where Eye is going to eat a near immediate ban, and Temple is going to go away a season later.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If they ban eye that hurts Tron too, I think they'd be more likely to ban Eldrazi Temple or Thought-Knot Seer.

Unless they don't care about hurting Tron.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Entropic posted:

Did any of the Eldrazi players that made T8 get all their losses in Modern and get in by 3-0ing both drafts? That can happen sometimes with the PT format.
Tao actually did exactly the opposite.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Lepore 6-0'd draft.

The fact that the UR Eldrazi deck demonstrates you can you can be competitive with pretty much any creature with the type line "Eldrazi" does not help imo.

Entropic posted:

If they ban eye that hurts Tron too, I think they'd be more likely to ban Eldrazi Temple or Thought-Knot Seer.

Agreed, Eye is also Legendary, which limits how busted it can really get.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

This hand's gonna win it all this sunday:

This is a strange coincidence, I'm running a charity draft to help the cat adoption center I volunteer at, and was just looking through the list of cat creatures to see if I could make a "From the Vault: Cats" to raffle off. :catdrugs:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Entropic posted:

With a quick check, draft totals:

Shuhei 6-0
Floch 4-2
Brown 4-2
LSV 4-2
Maynard 4-2
Dickmann 3-3
Lepore 6-0
Tao 3-3

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I'm certainly going to try it. It kinda sucks that I don't have any City of Traitors though. I also think I only have 2 Mox Diamonds.

I went 5-2 at the Columbus Legacy Prize Wall Nonsense tourney last weekend with basically the same creatures.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"Maybe the Eldrazi decks all just got lucky in limited" is not a good look.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

They've shown before they're willing to ban obviously busted interactions like when Cruise and Dig were legal. Ian Duke even said that the Eye/Temple thing was busted on camera.

I'll give $20 to cancer research if nothing in this deck is banned in SOI's B&R announcement.
Cruise and Dig didn't even make it to one PT and they banned Pod because Siege Rhino turned Pod into a monster.

I'm quoting you for cancer

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Eye's best case is also way, way more busted, though: it doesn't take a whole lot of work to make Eye of Ugin worth {4}, and in the lategame it's a value factory by itself.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm quoting you for cancer

It wouldn't be the first time I lost such a bet, just bring it back up if I lose.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Tron is honestly really absurd right now, Eldrazi antics aside.

World Breaker is unbeatable for some decks.

E: Scapeshift's best option against it is letting it resolve and never killing it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I went 5-2 at the Columbus Legacy Prize Wall Nonsense tourney last weekend with basically the same creatures.

You'll have to send me your list then.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Angry Grimace posted:

Lepore 6-0'd draft.

The fact that the UR Eldrazi deck demonstrates you can you can be competitive with pretty much any creature with the type line "Eldrazi" does not help imo.

Temple is just a Sol land for Eldrazi. It's certainly good, but it still has pretty defined limits. Eye is effectively a Sol land that you can use for every creature you play each turn. Cast two creatures? Sweet, you got four mana from one land with no hoops to turn on crazymode, and this is on top of turning into a repeatable tutor if the game goes late. It was also never designed to interact with small colorless Eldrazi. Casting Kozilek for 8 instead of 10 is helpful, but not crazy by itself. Casting something like T2 Thought-Knot Seer or getting your three drops for one mana is insane.

That said, the deck does rely heavily enough on its turbolands to be vulnerable to land hate, so we should see how the format reacts before we start tearing things apart and banning the key lands that make the deck function in the first place will probably just kill it dead...though it also remains to be seen just how reliable land hand is going to work as a sideboard option against a deck that can hit you with a Thought-Knot Seer on the play while you have one land out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Temple is just a Sol land for Eldrazi. It's certainly good, but it still has pretty defined limits. Eye is effectively a Sol land that you can use for every creature you play each turn. Cast two creatures? Sweet, you got four mana from one land with no hoops to turn on crazymode, and this is on top of turning into a repeatable tutor if the game goes late. It was also never designed to interact with small colorless Eldrazi. Casting Kozilek for 8 instead of 10 is helpful, but not crazy by itself. Casting something like T2 Thought-Knot Seer or getting your three drops for one mana is insane.

That said, the deck does rely heavily enough on its turbolands to be vulnerable to land hate, so we should see how the format reacts before we start tearing things apart and banning the key lands that make the deck function in the first place will probably just kill it dead...though it also remains to be seen just how reliable land hand is going to work as a sideboard option against a deck that can hit you with a Thought-Knot Seer on the play while you have one land out.

I imagine the problem is that the deck is designed to be ready to win the game before you can cast anything that destroys the land and conveniently the thing they're jamming invades your hand and exiles your land destruction, unless its Ghost Quarter, which doesn't seem super great to me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think the best argument for an Eye/Temple ban is that for the last several years Wizards has really tried to move away from cards that break the in-game "economy" with regards to mana. If you look at the Modern banlist a decent number of cards on it all have a mana acceleration angle- Seething Song, Chrome Mox, Cloudpost, the artifact lands (they tap for one mana but are worth two mana each for cards with Affinity) etc. That's why we never see any good rituals printed, there's some sort of underlying "one turn, one lanad, one mana" rule that's in place but I can't come up with the right way to describe it. I think Wizard's anti-land destruction policy is wrapped up in that too. Eye and Temple just haven't had anything to abuse so no one really noticed them.

But I also think one PT where the deck archetype is premiering and people are still trying to figure it out does not a ban make. If 75% of the Top8 decks are Eldrazi for the next few months then probably yeah.

E: Yes the Tron lands go against my thesis in a big way but that takes quite a bit of setup to work, also the fact that they haven't been printed since 9ED tells me that Wizards isn't exactly encouraging this strategy.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 7, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If only Modern had an easy way to destroy a nonbasic land on turn 1 without card or tempo disadvantage :yum:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If your crucial lands can dump out your hand before t3 you aren't actually vulnerable to land hate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

How so, like removing the exile clause? I don't know how you would do that, you kind of need it to be in a zone in order to cast it. I think madness is fine, as most of the actual complexity doesn't come up 99% of the time, and when it does, it is only because two high level players are trying to exploit edge cases.

Quoting from like 40 pages ago, but it seems like they actually did change the Madness rules. Madness now no longer gives you the option to discard normally. You are required to discard to exile then immediately decide to pay for it or put it in your graveyard. The older current ability is as follows: "If a player would discard this card, that player discards it, but may exile it instead of putting it into his or her graveyard” and “When this card is exiled this way, its owner may cast it by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost. If that player doesn’t, he or she puts this card into his or her graveyard." The reminder text on the new cards: "If you discard this card, discard it into exile. When you do, cast it for its madness cost or put it into your graveyard."

Also, decklists up. http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptogw/top-8-decklists-2016-02-06

24 copies of Eldrazi Temple, Eye of Ugin, Thought Knot Seer, Reality Smasher and Eldrazi Mimic in the Top 8. Seems good.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 7, 2016

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Even if they ban eye and/or temple, doesnt that just mean we would have mostly affinity and infect as the top 8 instead? It wasnt like it crushing combo decks out of the tournament. It seems like Eldrazi decks may be more of a symptom of the state of modern.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Might just be the draft tho, and after all of these decks adjust and add Wastelands it will probably return to being dominated by Splinter Twin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Modern kind of a lovely format, film at 11

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I would be really surprised if the eldrazi decks have any kind of bans as this is probably the best the deck is going to be. We are not going to see any more eldrazi anytime soon while the rest of the modern decks gain potential improvments. Besides as far as fast mana goes, tron is still a thing and has potential to always get new additions. And affinity seems to have the same level of broken abilty to pump out creature and damage, and probably faster too.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Affinity also ate a bunch of bans already.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

E: Yes the Tron lands go against my thesis in a big way but that takes quite a bit of setup to work, also the fact that they haven't been printed since 9ED tells me that Wizards isn't exactly encouraging this strategy.

That might be less of WotC doesn't want Tron promoted and more of where the hell are they putting lands named after Urza when we've only been going to planes Urza has never been to?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tron seems like a horrible matchup against Eldrazi to begin with and Tron requires a lot of setup which gives decks time to hate it out. The Eldrazi deck has straight-up unbeatable draws in it, like Temple, Eye, Mimic, Mimic, Thought-Knot. I don't think there is anything at all you can do to beat that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you know i'm glad wizards got there wish with the modern pro tour and a new deck made possible with new cards happened

it's a shame there will never be another modern pro tour when they announce the end of the reserve list and legacy being supported again

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Eldrazi deck is getting more cards in 18 months in Return to Return to Zendikar

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madness seems like it has a lot of flavor in Innistrad that didn't exist when for whatever reason Madness was an ability attached to Basking Rootwalla.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mandatory lesbian posted:

you know i'm glad wizards got there wish with the modern pro tour and a new deck made possible with new cards happened

it's a shame there will never be another modern pro tour when they announce the end of the reserve list and legacy being supported again

Eternal Masters announcement tomorrow :pray:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They're just going to announce that the next time their Standard set sucks and nobody is buying it you can trade in a crate of unopened packs for a single revised dual.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rabidsquid posted:

They're just going to announce that the next time their Standard set sucks and nobody is buying it you can trade in a crate of unopened packs for a single revised dual.

Actually this is too generous, there will be expeditions of the original dual lands but also Kokusho and Keiga will be on the same rare sheet as the duals.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Angry Grimace posted:

Tron seems like a horrible matchup against Eldrazi to begin with and Tron requires a lot of setup which gives decks time to hate it out. The Eldrazi deck has straight-up unbeatable draws in it, like Temple, Eye, Mimic, Mimic, Thought-Knot. I don't think there is anything at all you can do to beat that.

Thats's what, 4 damage and a card loss? Tron could just pyroclasm or o-stone depending on who went first. Mimic really seems easily answered. Also from my playing online, tron just seems consistently faster than eldrazi. Or maybe I just keep getting unlucky and seeing the turn-3 assembled tron.

Really though, seems like we need more time for the meta to sort out. Or just unban everything and let the real party begin again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I'm sure there will eventually be a new set that can match the power of BFZ block cards.

• Locked thread