Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Ensign Expendable posted:

Infantry called tankers "double salary, triple death", so at least the general opinion wasn't so.

Although that included literally everyone in infantry units, from the guy bayoneting nazis to the guy baking bread, so the former group would probably have more casualties.

there were probably still guys who baked bread in tank units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Randomcheese3 posted:

No, it's a reference to HMS Coventry, which was sunk by Skyhawks on the 25th May. I can't think of any other destroyers lost by the RN in the Falklands War.

Oh cool, I stand corrected. That is a pretty jarring loss!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

there were probably still guys who baked bread in tank units

Yeah, but if anything they'd be motorized infantry, much better and cooler than regular old infantry. Also paid more.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MikeCrotch posted:

I love the bit in The Dead Hand where Thatcher finds out that Reagan actually wants to eliminate all nuclear weapons, and her reaction is just :stare:

I just finished this book yesterday. The description of the Soviet bio-weapons program set my skin a-crawling multiple times, though I did gain a better appreciation for the Soviet leaders during the Cold War, which I'd never be able to tell apart otherwise.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I found a post-war Soviet evaluation of their weapons. Naturally the Mosin's begins with something to the tune of "it's perfect, no changes needed, but make sure that you can't take off the bayonet so the soldiers stop losing it".

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just finished this book yesterday. The description of the Soviet bio-weapons program set my skin a-crawling multiple times, though I did gain a better appreciation for the Soviet leaders during the Cold War, which I'd never be able to tell apart otherwise.

I read that book too - my favorite bit* was when the Soviet Union nearly deployed weaponized smallpox on itself

*most horrifying

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of grim things, on WIkipedia they have a few write-ups on accidents in the Soviet Biowarfare program.

The Aral Smallpox incident

The Soviets had a weaponized version of smallpox, and they sequestored this program on islands in the Aral Sea. This was a good security precaution as the site, known as Aralsk-7, had a history of association with mass deaths of fish, various regional plague outbreaks, a saiga antelope die-off, and individual cases of infectious disease among visitors to Rebirth Island. Rebirth Island is a island near to Aralsk-7.

quote:

According to Soviet General Pyotr Burgasov (Peter Burgasov), field testing of 400 grams of smallpox at Renaissance Island caused an outbreak on July 30, 1971.[6] Burgasov, former Chief Sanitary Physician of the Soviet Army, former Soviet Vice-Minister of Health and a senior researcher within the Soviet BW program, described the incident:

On Vozrozhdeniya Island in the Aral Sea, the strongest recipes of smallpox were tested. Suddenly I was informed that there were mysterious cases of mortalities in Aralsk (Aral). A research ship of the Aral fleet came to within 15 km of the island (it was forbidden to come any closer than 40 km). The lab technician of this ship took samples of plankton twice a day from the top deck. The smallpox formulation—400 gr. of which was exploded on the island—”got her” and she became infected. After returning home to Aralsk, she infected several people including children. All of them died. I suspected the reason for this and called the Chief of General Staff of Ministry of Defense and requested to forbid the stop of the Alma-Ata-Moscow train in Aralsk. As a result, the epidemic around the country was prevented. I called [future Soviet General Secretary Yuri] Andropov, who at that time was Chief of KGB, and informed him of the exclusive recipe of smallpox obtained on Vozrazhdenie Island.[7][8]

So it's the start of a Michael Crichton novel, or maybe The Stand. Fortunately, massive action was taken immediately, with some 50,000 people evacuated from the nearby area. People who had been inoculated against Smallpox beforehand recovered, while infected people who had not received inoculation died.

There was another really funny (IE absolutely horrible) accident, known as Sverdlovsk Anthrax Leak.

The city of Sverdlovsk (now Yekaterinburg) was a 'closed city', as all of its industry was defense related. The most deadly form of weaponized anthrax was worked on there in the biological warfare building. (They got that strain when a previous version of weaponized anthrax was accidentally released into the Kirov sewer system in the 1950s. Some bright young soviet got the idea to check the rats living in the sewer, to discover the anthrax had mutated there into something even more deadly :psyduck:)

Long story short, during routine maintenance of the air-filtration system, somebody left the air filter off when the lab was brewing up a batch of this anthrax for use as a air-spread pathogen. The error was connected in a few hours, but 100 people inside and nearby the biowarfare building would die over the next few days.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Ensign Expendable posted:

I found a post-war Soviet evaluation of their weapons. Naturally the Mosin's begins with something to the tune of "it's perfect, no changes needed, but make sure that you can't take off the bayonet so the soldiers stop losing it".

I've mentioned this a bunch of times, but in post-ww2 tallies, the two pieces of kit Finnish soldiers most often lost were their gas masks and their bayonets. Most people saw both pieces of kit as entirely useless. It of course helps that the gas mask bag was handy for carrying other stuff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

I've mentioned this a bunch of times, but in post-ww2 tallies, the two pieces of kit Finnish soldiers most often lost were their gas masks and their bayonets. Most people saw both pieces of kit as entirely useless. It of course helps that the gas mask bag was handy for carrying other stuff.

Yeah, I read an interrogation of a German infantryman recently, and he said that his buddies carried their gas masks for about two weeks into the war, then left them in the trucks.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

How do you square this with the repeated statements by the admiral in charge of the Belgrano group and the Belgrano's captain that the ship was a legitimate target?

I have literally no idea what the gently caress I was on about with that. Not going to defend it in the slightest. I'd blame sleepiness or the pernicious influence of work, but tbh I think I was just reflexively recoiling at the idea of Thatcher fighting Britain's only war that didn't involve a serious breach of the Geneva Conventions.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Nebakenezzer posted:

I read that book too - my favorite bit* was when the Soviet Union nearly deployed weaponized smallpox on itself

*most horrifying

So it's the start of a Michael Crichton novel, or maybe The Stand. Fortunately, massive action was taken immediately, with some 50,000 people evacuated from the nearby area. People who had been inoculated against Smallpox beforehand recovered, while infected people who had not received inoculation died.

There was another really funny (IE absolutely horrible) accident, known as Sverdlovsk Anthrax Leak.

The city of Sverdlovsk (now Yekaterinburg) was a 'closed city', as all of its industry was defense related. The most deadly form of weaponized anthrax was worked on there in the biological warfare building. (They got that strain when a previous version of weaponized anthrax was accidentally released into the Kirov sewer system in the 1950s. Some bright young soviet got the idea to check the rats living in the sewer, to discover the anthrax had mutated there into something even more deadly :psyduck:)

Long story short, during routine maintenance of the air-filtration system, somebody left the air filter off when the lab was brewing up a batch of this anthrax for use as a air-spread pathogen. The error was connected in a few hours, but 100 people inside and nearby the biowarfare building would die over the next few days.

A few months ago, the NYT reported about mysterious deaths of large parts of the Saiga population somewhere there. Well, well.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Its kinda funny cause if you want to poo poo on the royal navy see how one of their destroyers got wrecked by a skyhawk with unguided bombs.

What was it supposed to do, dodge? Thats good flying by the pilot, not much the captain could do different.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

feedmegin posted:

What was it supposed to do, dodge?

Well, if World of Warships taught me anything, yes? :v: Alongside the lesson that carriers without aircraft can serve as decent kinetic kill vehicles... Hm... Maybe not the best place to learn about naval warfare...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

When there's a big stench from dead men in the trench: that's Cadorna! Yes, time to revisit the most offensive man in the war, who is currently conducting only a charm offensive in the Italian press as he attempts to nobble his own minister of war. Meanwhile, in a rather less public context, he's bitching at the Prime Minister to allow him to use decimation against anyone who shows the slightest sign of thinking about refusing his neatly-handwritten invitations to get their brains blown out for Trieste. What a nice man. No wonder D'Annunzio is calling him "il Duce".

Elsewhere: The Belgians have nearly finished handily transforming Congo's Force Publique into an army of invasion; Clifford Wells enjoys wearing his shiny new officer's uniform; and I've finally managed to find a personal account from someone who was at the siege of Kut and who can tell me the dates when things actually happened. He's struggling mightily against regular river floods, and although he's on half rations, he is getting a gourmand's opportunity to compare many different kinds of meat as they begin slaughtering the town's animals.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

lenoon posted:

I have literally no idea what the gently caress I was on about with that. Not going to defend it in the slightest. I'd blame sleepiness or the pernicious influence of work, but tbh I think I was just reflexively recoiling at the idea of Thatcher fighting Britain's only war that didn't involve a serious breach of the Geneva Conventions.

An understandable reaction.

I mean let's be serious here, if given half a chance Thatcher would have totally ordered the RN to sink a hospital ship or five to show the Argentinians that they were serious.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ArchangeI posted:

An understandable reaction.

I mean let's be serious here, if given half a chance Thatcher would have totally ordered the RN to sink a hospital ship or five to show the Argentinians that they were serious.

Now, now, they were Argentinians, not Yorkshire coal miners

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

feedmegin posted:

What was it supposed to do, dodge? Thats good flying by the pilot, not much the captain could do different.

Several other key RN ships got hit by bombs that failed to explode, apparently due to the way they were used/fuses- had they exploded the falklands war would have been lost for the UK, or at least a hell of a lot bloodier.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DesperateDan posted:

Several other key RN ships got hit by bombs that failed to explode, apparently due to the way they were used/fuses- had they exploded the falklands war would have been lost for the UK, or at least a hell of a lot bloodier.

The bombs had safeties to not arm until they fell a certain height, and the Argentinians were bombing beneath that height. Had they disarmed the safeties, you are correct, the Falklands would have been lost/a bloodbath for the British. God knows what that would have done to British history, as the victory of the Falklands cemented Thactcher's hold on power.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just now noticed James McPherson published a new book last year, has anyone read it? It sounds like maybe it is something of a redux but I might still get it because

Also, for you highly dedicated Lost Causer reactionaries....

(I'll probably get that one too)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So, some of the letters the Count of Mansfeld sends out are to the "Count of Ossona." I looked him up, and...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_de_Moncada,_3rd_Marquis_of_Aitona

*harrumph*

edit: I am pretty sure that the thing around his neck that he's holding onto is a watch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_watches

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 6, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"I didn't get a harrumph outta that guy!"
"Give the Marquis a harrumph!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All of these people look like they're having heartburn trouble in their portraits.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
in my opinion, it's difficult to look bad in these outfits--skinny people look graceful and dashing, while big fat dudes look august and big fat women look voluptuous.

mens' haircuts suck, but it was a good fashion era

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
We should go back to togas. Pants are for barbarians.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The Belgian posted:

We should go back to togas. Pants are for barbarians.

But how will I show off the angles and size of my junk? huh? HUH?!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

in my opinion, it's difficult to look bad in these outfits--skinny people look graceful and dashing, while big fat dudes look august and big fat women look voluptuous.

mens' haircuts suck, but it was a good fashion era

The clothes look good, the faces look like it's Alka-Seltzer time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The clothes look good, the faces look like it's Alka-Seltzer time.
they did eat really badly. i'd say that's why they all had gout but actually rates of gout have gone up recently

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Huh, 17th century Flavor Flav.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ghetto Prince posted:

Huh, 17th century Flavor Flav.

Flavorus Flavius

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FAUXTON posted:

Flavorus Flavius

Marries Bridgette of Nielson

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Seems Dutch to me - Smaak de Smaa?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Some interesting stuff I happened to run into:

Remember when I mentioned Milunka Savić, one of the women in the Serbian army who earned a shitton of medals?

I found a picture of the post-war request she wrote to the director of the National Mortgage Bank, in which she worked as a cleaner for years as a day laborer. She's basically begging him to register her as a full time employee (and she mentions already trying and failing several times to change her status). She says that years are going by, but she's not getting any closer to retirement since being a day-laborer doesn't count towards work-time requirements for it. She reminds him that she's a veteran of the war, and signs the request in a peculiar way:

Milunka Savić, day laborer of the National Mortgage Bank, knight of the Star of Karađorđe and the Legion of Honor

Yugoslavia was kinda lovely towards veterans of the war (and extremely lovely towards most people who ended it with lasting injuries, many of them being provided with barely enough to avoid starvation), but this is just so... petty. :smith: I know she was raising her own daughter and several orphans she adopted because there was literally nobody else who would take care of them, and it's not too hard to read the panic between the lines of what will happen to them if she ever gets too sick to work and losing all income.

Speaking of veterans with lasting injuries, remember when I said how that sworn virgin thing is bullshit with regards to women fighting in the Serbian army in WW1, and that women fighting in the army were just that - women soldiers? While I still hold this to be true, I did find out about a trans-man who fought for Serbia in WW1! And with a rather bizzarre life story.

He was born as Rizna Radović in 1901. At the age of 8, she killed an Albanian man who attacked her and her brother while they were guarding sheep, and the family had to flee Kosovo to avoid the inevitable blood feud. Sometime after the fall of Serbia, her parents and brother were taken away (and executed? I can't find anywhere if it's supposed to mean imprisoned or if it's supposed be a "and were never seen again" kind of thing, but since he's mentioned as having no living relatives at some point after the war, I'm going to assume the latter) by Bulgarian forces, and she joined the resistance movement (which would eventually grow large enough to initiate the Toplica Uprising) at the age of 16, taking the name Stojan Komita (Komita can more-less be loosely translated as "guerrilla") and frequently participating in combat. Stojan lost his leg in the war, and he was covered in scars and his arm was mangled beyond use after he was bayonetted ~15 times by Bulgarian forces, but he somehow managed to survive.

He was interviewed after the war by Stanislav Krakov (the dude who wrote the "magazine" I posted earlier in the thread), and apparently, kept the name Stojan, wore male clothing, had a short masculine haircut, and also used male pronouns when talking about himself (the article still keeps referring to him as "the heroic girl", tho). He received the Croix de Guerre, apparently awarded by d'Espèrey himself, though I couldn't find anything that confirms this. He was considered for, but was denied the Star of Karađorđe, though at the very least, he was granted some land by the king and was able to sustain himself after the war unlike the vast majority of the disabled. He died in 1939, and was burried with full military honors in Subotica.

(For those of you who look up the writer Stanislav Krakov, yeah, that dude is an example of a man driven by good intentions and genuine grievances slowly walking down the proverbial road to hell and eventually throwing in his lot with some rather nasty people.)

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

my dad posted:

Stojan lost his leg in the war

How do you lose a leg - presumably to surgical amputation - without your gender being found out? Or did they just not care?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hogmartin posted:

How do you lose a leg - presumably to surgical amputation - without your gender being found out? Or did they just not care?

it could depend on how far up they cut

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

it could depend on how far up they cut

Yeah, I'm just thinking that during recuperation there are sanitary requirements that could make it obvious too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i guess the question is what sort of a world war 1 hellhole he recovered in

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
point taken.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

hogmartin posted:

Everyone knew. I mean, women in the army and the resistance weren't anything particularly out of the ordinary at that point.

This is Jelena Šaulić Bojović, a schoolteacher who joined the resistance during WW1 after her mother was murdered. She didn't hide her sex:

This is Antonija Javornik, a Slovenian/Serbian woman (and daughter of a renegade AH officer [I think? I recall it was a close relative, but I'm not 100% sure if it was her fahter]) who fought in the Balkan Wars and WW1 on Serbia's side:

There's a lot more of them. Naturally, post war, the country did a 180 and proceeded to completely ignore the potential for advancing gender equality. Hell, there was no universal suffrage until the communists instituted it at the end of WW2.

my dad fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 7, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

HEY GAL posted:

So, some of the letters the Count of Mansfeld sends out are to the "Count of Ossona." I looked him up, and...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_de_Moncada,_3rd_Marquis_of_Aitona

*harrumph*

edit: I am pretty sure that the thing around his neck that he's holding onto is a watch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_watches
Watches of that kind didn't appear until well after his death.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...bjectid=1424998

quote:

holding a letter in his right hand and clutching the ribbon of a medal with the cross of St James (the Order of Santiago) in his left;

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...862-2-23&page=1

quote:

clutching the ribbon of a medal with the cross of St James (the Order of Santiago) in his right;

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

my dad posted:

There's a lot more of them. Naturally, post war, the country did a 180 and proceeded to completely ignore the potential for advancing gender equality. Hell, there was no universal suffrage until the communists instituted it at the end of WW2.

Why were women so involved in the fighting in that time and place? Was central Europe just running out of men, or did they have a tradition of women serving in the military/western-euro male societal roles? I've heard about sworn virgins before but really don't know that much.

Also is there any chance you could translate that letter?

• Locked thread